PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about upgrading my tow rig

KC_Bobby
06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
OK, I currently do not have a rig. I have an urban pick-up at best. After pulling my 6x12 trailer 220 miles this weekend I think I want a rig before pull it back home in August.

The 02 Dakota pulled it OK - no problems. In fact, I got 12 mpg doing about 62-65 mph and was pleasantly surprised with that but I definately knew it was back there. This was just pulling my equipment to Des Moines - BWS competitor, WSM, my mobile kitchen counter cart, canopies, various totes. 120 lbs coal and empty coolers; guessing around 2400 lbs total. After loading in my brother's stuff and loading the coolers (guessing the gross weight was just over 3,000 lbs) the Dakota was in great shape to spot comets with the headlights pointing to the sky. So we unhooked the Dakota and used my brother's F-150. The F-150 handled it with ease.

But we are already thinking about buying a larger trailer/toyhauler for next year so we have air conditioning and inside sleeping space. Probably something around 16-18' long with a tandom axle so I'm thinking a 3/4 ton pick up.

I'm not brand loyal as far as Ford, Dodge or GM. I'm strickly wanting to keep the price tag under 10K. I think I can sell the Dakota for somewhere around $9500 and I don't really want a payment on a vehicle that's only going to get about 5,000 miles put on it a year - basically comps and just normal household errands to the HD/Lowes, etc.

Which leads me to the purpose of this thread: advice...
- gas or diesel - I've heard the powerstroke has some injector issues from 99-03, fact or myth?
- should I stay clear of vehicles that have been used as snow plows - heard they tend to have transmission issues
- what do you consider high miles on a large gas engine - same with diesel
- 4 wheel drive - how many of you have done contests that you actually need 4 wheel drive?

In order to keep my price tag at about 10K, I think the ride is either going to be older or high miles (at least what I'm acustom to consider high miles). I don't need a full crew cab, but would like to have at least an extended cap so we could throw a few things in the cab to keep dry/clean.

I don't think I want to go this big http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/727779865.html but with that price, it does peek my interest.

Something like this would what I really want http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/726770385.html, but I don't want to borrow a nickel.

Another option would be something like this http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/726890129.html and just do comps that are on hard surfaces. It would leave money for the trailer!

afreemaniii
06-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Great post. I'm in the same situation and have tossed around many of the same questions. I look forward to seeing what some of the other brethren have to say about this.

Transformer BBQ
06-23-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll weigh in.

4WD- I'd say yes on this. Mud, sand... you don't want to get stuck at a contest and be "that guy". Around here I need it for snow. 2wd pickups especially empty beds get "loose" when its slippery out.

Miles, depends a lot on the truck, and what engine is in it. I have a big truck, 2000 F250 SD Crew Cab... it has 106k miles on it. Only issues I have had have been power (starter/ alternator)... and I expect the truck to make it to 200k miles as a limited use vehicle.

NEVER BUY A TRUCK THAT WAS USED AS A PLOW-- this isn't so much because of transmissions, although that is a big factor. A plow is basically in a controlled crash every time it gets to a snow bank. Not a big deal if your driving a dump truck, but a pickup frame takes a killing. Eveything in the car ages faster... there is a reason that 2006 costs 3k...

I'm sure you'll get better advice, but those are some observations.

The Pickled Pig
06-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Get a clear idea of the weight of the trailer you eventually want to get (ask others with similarly sized and equipped trailers). Make sure the tow/haul capacity of the truck you buy exceeds that weight by 10-20%. I think most of the 18' A/C equipped trailers I've seen at contests are less than 10,000 lbs but I would want to make sure. Commercial refrigerators and other kitchen equipment can add weight quickly.

I would also look for a vehicle that has a manufacturers tow package on it. Those packages may include a transmission cooler, special suspension, special brakes, and the hitch and wiring harness you'll need. Else, you may need to factor the cost of those items into your estimate.

4x4 would be really nice but not really necessary. My two wheel drive has been stuck a few times at contests this year but nothing serious and nothing that required external help to get out of. 4x4s cost more to buy, insure, and maintain so that is one feature I was willing to give up.

In general, I think bigger is better and will give you more towing flexibility in the future. There is a lot you could do with a 350 like the one in that first ad.

Tinybud
06-23-2008, 02:29 PM
I have a 1993 chevy silverado 2wd extended cab, and I've yet to have any issues at any of the comps we attend with it being 2wd. I personally have always owned 2wd trucks, don't know if it just might be the experience driving the 2wd, but even in the winter with the snow and ice I don't have issues getting around in it,, its been a great truck. its a 5 speed, with a 5.0 L motor, and I just went to help a friend with a pig roast and hauled my meadow creek 2 and a half hours south of me, and I averaged 21 mpg.
If you are only using the truck that little throughout the year, I'd save the money on the 4wd and get the last truck you posted. Mileage wise,, allot depends on previous owners, I have 170,000 on mine and it (knock on wood) runs great. And its got plenty of pulling power. That's just my 2 cents.
Also, as for a toy hauler,, we've been looking at one from coachman, the 150 blast I believe its called,, its weighs in just over 3,000 lbs.. so a 18' toy hauler even loaded isn't too bad.

scottyd
06-23-2008, 03:27 PM
I have a new 2008 Ford F350

I would buy one of the other brands as mine gets crappy milage.

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Horrible mileage when towing or all the time? I looked at an 01 F-250 last night that looked nice and the price wasn't too bad.

Transformer BBQ
06-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Just read in the paper today that GM is having a huge sale on 2008 model trucks. Including no interest financing...

Just Pulin' Pork
06-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Just read in the paper today that GM is having a huge sale on 2008 model trucks. Including no interest financing...

I saw that to. Zero % for 6 years

stan
06-24-2008, 10:28 AM
I would look at Dodge Diesel 3/4 ton that is late 90s early 00s. They are great trucks and I have a couple friends with 2 WD that have chipped them and get 22 - 26 MPH on the hwy not loaded and 18-20 loaded.

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Stan, Do you know if this guy has a reputation to sell decent vehicles or crap?

http://www.jkbautosales.com (http://www.jkbautosales.com)

thenewguy
06-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Personally, if you're only occaisionally using the truck for towing and only then using it less than 5k miles-then I wouldn't even consider a deisel unit. Yes they are workhorses,but they need to be used to stay in good condition,plus the upkeep would negate any power difference for no more than you say it'll be used.
I would probably say about the same when it comes toa 3/4 or larger truck too.
If you're only going say 250 mile trips like once a month for 3 months and rest are within 60 miles I would find it hard to justify...but then again,there's something to be said about raw horsepower and big rigs-right!
I would think a nice extended cab or 4 door 1/2 ton would do you well.
(but don't listen to me,I use a 34 ft MH:biggrin:)

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm actually finding a fair share of 4x4 3/4 ton trucks close to my price range on dealer lots with about the same amount of miles as my Dakota, just a year or so older.

But I think that means I'm going to have a hard time getting what I want for the Dakota. Fortunately I don't have to be in a hurry to do anything.

The Pickled Pig
06-24-2008, 04:11 PM
I think it's important to note that your rig would tow much better if you had a BLUE Thermapen. Getting the right Thermapen might be the most economical fix.

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I can't believe I never put the two together. That would match my Dakota.

ModelMaker
06-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Bobby, there's a good market now for a non-guzzeling pick up.
I just sold my $6400 Ranger for $8000. But then I turned around and bought a Dodge with a 5.7L Hemi. It has the DSL V8 into V4 with a 5 speed auto. Still only gets 14mpg hauling the 5th wheel.
ModelMaker

HoDeDo
06-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Let me know if you want me to start tracking you down a truck.... I know where a great white 3/4 RAM diesel is sitting right now... And yes, my replacement was BLUE :)

miller motors (rural KS - couple dealerships) specialize in older dodges. I have two friends that have gotten 125K mile cummins 3/4 or 1 tons from them, and they have been great trucks. Once friend just passed 250K on his 2001 Laramie.

If you want something newer, I can have a good friend of mine start looking at them the Chrysler auction for you if you want. He can find just about anything, and I wouldnt do business anywhere else for late model stuff... A couple of other guys have gotten cars from him in Lawrence and can vouch for him.

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Ed, Problem is my Dakota is a V8 gas guzzler. But maybe to those that don't know, it will appear to get better mileage then the full-size and maybe they will assume it gets better mileage.

Looked at an F-250 Super Crew with a V10 on the way home from work tonight. The price was very right.

Andy, thanks. I'll let ya know. Need to get Dakota sold first so I know how much money I have to play with.

BTW, this is what I have to sell if anyone knows of anyone knows an interested party. Other then it's lack of towing power for my needs and some less then exciting gas mileage, it is a very good truck.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/730498408.html (and no, I don't think I'll get that much, just testing the water right now)

HoDeDo
06-24-2008, 07:38 PM
when selling your dakota... focus on the fact it is a "midsize" truck... folks might equate that to mileage. I don't know if you have the 3.73 or 4.10 rear end... but that will have a sizable impact on mileage. (Get a 3.73 on whatever you buy... or your mileage will be lower)

Also - yes, you will be getting less for yours, they say trucks with V8 have dropped over 10% in the last 6 mos, 15% in the last 12 mos. But with that, you will get to buy a truck like you need for less.... so it's a wash, really.

In general I don't know anyone that thinks their fords get good mileage. As far as gas engines go... GM products get the best mileage I've seen, on the diesel front, the 5.9 cummins is hard to beat.

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
3.55 rear end

So the dealer still has your old Ram? I should have bought it from you in March when we were discussing it.

HoDeDo
06-24-2008, 07:44 PM
He has it... My truck has only been here 3 weeks.... and I had to drive the white one for one of those to tow to Marysville :)

I'm sure he would sell it to you for what he has in it... if that interested you ...

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Depends on price. I forgot what year it was. I think I remember it being a diesel so it's probably out of my price range.

What do you think of this one? (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=38&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-%7cM-_12_%7cD-_9347_%7cN-N%7cR-30%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cZ-64063&aff=national&paId=273535456&recnum=49&leadExists=true) A bit of a plain interior, but it would work great for my needs.

Do all Dodge 2500's come prewired for a brake control? The truck posted here does not have the control.

HoDeDo
06-24-2008, 08:08 PM
They have a cable that comes with them for a brake controller... it plugs into theI might even have a spare plug if you end up with a dodge, and it doesnt have one or the owner kept it attached to the controller.

The tow package jsut comes with the pre-wire for it under the dash.

HoDeDo
06-24-2008, 08:09 PM
I would not get one with the 33" knobby tires.... rough, loud, and it appears to just be an ST (work truck) based on the grill.... or it has been hit, and that is an aftermarket replacement that has not been painted or chromed.

HoDeDo
06-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Let me get to work :o) I will find you a few to look at.

You dont want mine.... forgot your price range. Mine is an 06 Cummins, with Sport Pkg, Leather, Auto, etc... and 32K miles....

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Keep in mind I have a truck to sell. But I have made up my mind that it is for sale and I will be in the market for a 3/4 ton after it is sold.

Sad day too, the Dakota was my first new vehicle and I've treated it as new everyday since.

HoDeDo
06-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Why not just add airbags and a tranny cooler to your truck? and save the $$?

HoDeDo
06-24-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2966A0A0A2055885.aspx

Something like this... and then a tranny cooler... and you are set. No upgrade needed.

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Already got the tranny cooler (don't you remember that thread?). Funny, my dad just mentioned stiffening the suspension to me too. But that really only solves the truck with the current trailer. Don and I plan on selling this trailer after the Royal and getting a larger 16-18 foot cargo/toyhauler - something we can install some work stations, bunks and has elect and A/C.

Then I need a larger truck with brake controls, so I just want to get something that will tow whatever it is that we buy. The F250 that I looked at tonight had the flip up gooseneck hitch and was a V10 - I was liking that.

Interesting (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=38&pageNumber=1&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7cE-%7cM-_12_%7cD-_9347_%7cN-N%7cR-30%7cI-1%7cP-PRICE+descending%7cQ-descending%7cZ-64063&aff=national&paId=276377422&recnum=53&leadExists=true), very very interesting.

The Hauler
06-24-2008, 09:25 PM
i'm with scottyd my 2008 f350 gets about 12 mpg but they said help is on the way they can reprogram the computor to help with the mpg's. Before the ford we had a dodge that pulled a 50ft car hauler with 3 cars on it and it got 13mpg's without being chiped.
I would stay away from the snow plow trucks don't know the have done to the trucks.
I like 4-wheel drives, better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Gas $3.70 per gal. or diesel $4.70 per gal.
that my thoughts "man i need a beer"

HoDeDo
06-24-2008, 09:27 PM
V10 = Maintenance, and lets look at your reasoning here....
You are saying you can get an older truck because you dont use it that much, only for the few contests, and some light duty HD/Lowes trips....

But if you upgrade the trailer, will you use it more... and then want a more reliable/less used truck?

You can tow alot of trailer with your truck... you can add a brake controller, and air bags... for less than selling yours in a low market, and then buying a well used unit to meet your anticipated size needs... You know the condition of yours, add the airbags, and a brake controller, and go to town - spend the extra money you save on the truck and put it back into your trailer upgrade so you get something sweet! BTW, a goose neck utilizes your NCC and your Tow rating... so you can tow a goose neck that weighs more, since less is on the axles and distributed to your bed payload....

A 16ft gooseneck in your existing truck would rock out.

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 09:51 PM
They make 16" goosenecks/5th wheel toyhaulers/cargo type of trailers?

Can a gooseneck ball be installed in a Dakota?

Between the air pads, elect brake wiring and controller and hitch in the bed, I'd be looking towards near a grand.

HoDeDo
06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
I've seen gooseneck ball installs in S-10s!! There are lots of trailer mfgrs. that will do anything you want. I have seen lots of short goosenecks... usually single race car rigs, or for hauling bobcats, etc.

$1000 into your truck which has been extensively maintained is better than getting $2K less than what you want for yours, and paying for a much more used truck that will burn more fuel and need more maintenance.

Even now $10K doesnt get you much in a heavy duty truck... Lots of variability. Lots of money pits out there...

KC_Bobby
06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I'll just show up in this modest rig trailer combo (http://www.race-cars.com/trasales/other/1207768116/1207768116ss.htm).

Divemaster
06-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I'll just show up in this modest rig trailer combo (http://www.race-cars.com/trasales/other/1207768116/1207768116ss.htm).
Sure puts my little 6x10 to shame.....

scottyd
06-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Horrible mileage when towing or all the time? I looked at an 01 F-250 last night that looked nice and the price wasn't too bad.

12 all the time 7 when towing

KC_Bobby
06-25-2008, 12:17 PM
ouch ... and last I checked, not much for cities in SD so I'm assuming you're not giving me rush hour / stop and go mileage

Jorge
06-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Lots of good advice. The only thing I'll disagree with Andy about when it comes to putting some money into your Dakota is brakes. Having lost brakes on a trailer before, I can tell you from experience that you want to make sure that your tow vehicle can handle whatever you have back there. If you start putting money into the existing truck, I'd seriously consider budgeting some of it for larger rotors etc....

V-10/Hemi engines: Take a good look at what you are getting into, other than a lower purchase price. They are fuel hogs, or so I've been told be people I consider reliable. Purchase price for a diesel will be higher, fuel cost is higher, low end torque is higher (good thing), engine life with proper maintenance is higher (good thing), fuel economy is higher (good thing). I'm a Dodge fan, and love the Cummins. I've had fewer problems with mine than friends have had with their Powerstrokes. Fuel prices have mine parked right now, but that just means that I'll have it longer, and have it when I need it longer.

If I were in your shoes, I'd sit down and figure out exactly what I planned to be pulling and be honest with myself. I'm talking about dimensions and weight (when finished out and loaded). Add about 10% to the weight when you are done. THEN I'd start looking at my needs for a tow vehicle.

The last bit of advice is from a guy that bought a 1 ton gasoline driven truck, before he bought the gooseneck horse trailer years ago when he was much younger and more impulsive. I pulled that trailer once, and traded for a diesel.

pigpen269
06-25-2008, 03:20 PM
What ever you do don't buy a ford with the V10 in it. I just sold mine because even when im not hauling any thing i only got 7 MPG. We use a 30 ft gooseneck stock trailer for comps. I use to tow it with an F350 but i sold it because it wasn't practical as a daily driver. I bought a Crew cab short bed f150 with the 5.4ltr and it pulls it just fine. I will probobly add some helper air bags to keep the truck from squatting so much but i wouldn't have to. I only paid 12,500 for an 02 with 75,000 miles.

KC_Bobby
06-25-2008, 03:26 PM
I'd say we're looking to get something like this (http://www.race-cars.com/trasales/pace/1191782500/1191782500ss.htm).

20' would be the max, but more likely a 16-18' x 8' trailer. A/C unit on top, probably build a set of bunks, strap in our current kitchen counter carts (http://boondogglebbq.com/Pictures/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=12), and maybe find a stainless sink that would just drain water out a hose to a drain/bucket/ditch. Would be great to have an awning on the side with an RV type door.

It would be a lot of empty space while towing, but something that would only require the smokers to be moved outside and adjusting a few things around inside the trailer to start the comp rather than our current double ez up, carts, table and multiple totes set up.

But I don't have any idea what that would weigh. An estimate of our current equipment is about 1400-1500 with meat and ice. With the larger trailer, we'd really only trim the carports and ez ups from the current load. And let's say an 18" trailer with air weighs 2700.

The Pickled Pig
06-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I'd say we're looking to get something like this (http://www.race-cars.com/trasales/pa...91782500ss.htm).

20' would be the max, but more likely a 16-18' x 8' trailer. A/C unit on top, probably build a set of bunks, strap in our current kitchen counter carts (http://boondogglebbq.com/Pictures/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=12), and maybe find a stainless sink that would just drain water out a hose to a drain/bucket/ditch. Would be great to have an awning on the side with an RV type door.

It would be a lot of empty space while towing, but something that would only require the smokers to be moved outside and adjusting a few things around inside the trailer to start the comp rather than our current double ez up, carts, table and multiple totes set up.

But I don't have any idea what that would weigh. An estimate of our current equipment is about 1400-1500 with meat and ice. With the larger trailer, we'd really only trim the carports and ez ups from the current load. And let's say an 18" trailer with air weighs 2700.

In the future, won't you want cabinets/shelves, a large water reservoir, a commercial fridge, big screen tv, and an FEC-300? And don't forget the generators for the juice. Try and get a truck that can handle the weight for everything you may possibly want in the trailer rather than just the stuff you have now.

KC_Bobby
06-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Paul, baby steps here ... yet want to make sure the right hand knows what where the left foot is planning on going.

The Pickled Pig
06-25-2008, 04:27 PM

That is just way too cool. It has inspired me to buy a Powerball ticket on the way home tonight.

KC_Bobby
06-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Paul, that would kill a person financially at comps. The user would have to spend $25 more to get a larger spot. :icon_pissed

KC_Bobby
06-25-2008, 04:40 PM
What ever you do don't buy a ford with the V10 in it. I just sold mine because even when im not hauling any thing i only got 7 MPG. We use a 30 ft gooseneck stock trailer for comps. I use to tow it with an F350 but i sold it because it wasn't practical as a daily driver. I bought a Crew cab short bed f150 with the 5.4ltr and it pulls it just fine. I will probobly add some helper air bags to keep the truck from squatting so much but i wouldn't have to. I only paid 12,500 for an 02 with 75,000 miles.

Thanks,

I think I'll call some dealers and find out what the GM 1/2 ton HD and Ram 1500 extended cab 4x4's will max pull with the larger gas engines based on each year to make sure I get the right truck for my needs. Right now I'm estimating a weight of 4,500 lbs (+20% for good measure = 5,400) Sounds like a 1/2 ton will do me fine.

Sawdustguy
06-25-2008, 09:55 PM
KC,

My 2007 Ram 1500 will tow up to 9800 lbs. It has a Hemi, but I think the Hemi is just alot of marketing bunk.

KC_Bobby
06-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Guy, keep in mind I want to keep the cost of the truck near what I can sell my Dakota for. After doing some research an talking to the truck sales manager at one Dodge dealership he thinks 10K is realistic for my truck. He wanted to make a deal for me to trade it in when I showed him my listing, but I can't take the hit to trade in - I need retail value in order for me to upgrade.

KC_Bobby
06-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Anyone have a link to get tow ratings per year and make?

I found most of Dodges ratings, but need to find GM and Ford.

thanks

BBQ_Mayor
06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Ratings don't take into account the wind shear agianst your trailer and hills. My dodge will "supposely" pull like 8,000 some lbs. Pulling a 4500lb trailer gives it fits. Little over have the estimated weight?!!.

In no wind driving on a flat level surface, the Dodge will do fine. But that don't happen very often.

Good luck on your search.

KC_Bobby
06-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Ray, what do you pull your Hobbi with? Dodge 1500?

The Pickled Pig
06-26-2008, 01:47 PM
I heard an ad over lunch today for brand new F150s from Louisburg for $11K. I know it's a little over your budget but we're talking brand new.

BBQ_Mayor
06-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Ray, what do you pull your Hobbi with? Dodge 1500?

No is a Dodge POS. :confused: Oh, your right, its a 1/2 ton. 1/2 tons should be able to pull 4500 lbs. And it does, I just need to take a hit in the wallet to pull it. I don't know if you'll find anything that very good gas mileage pulling a trailer. Got to expect it a little.

smooookin
06-26-2008, 08:37 PM
If possible you might see if you can tough it out until you can put together more funds or decide to finance some of it. I drove an 02 Duramax for 180,000 miles and had virtually no unexpected expense. The 05 Duramax I just bought gets just short of 19mpg on the HWY not towing and the previous owner got 13-14 pulling a racecar trailer, approx 6500 lbs on the hwy. Right now in town I am getting 15mpg.

If you go 3/4 ton in gas I wouldnt expect much over 10-12 hwy and 8-9 in town. The gasser in a 1/2 ton will get around 16-18 hwy and prolly not much over 10 in town.

I drive aprrox 40k a year and even with the fuel price difference it is saving me money to drive a diesel.

Right now I am working for my friend that owns the Chevy dealership in western Kansas, I can check and see what he might have.

gordo
06-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Been real happy pulling my Bates with my little 91, 1/2 ton, 350 Chevy, only has 107,000 miles on it ..made the run to the Royal last Oct. and back....

But if I buy another...Ill get a 4wheel drive, cook in too many muddy fields and way too much rain down my way...

KC_Bobby
06-27-2008, 12:49 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/730327634.html

Problem is, I'd still need to take Paul's advise and get a blue thermopen with this truck. According to GM this model is rated to pull up to 10,300. I emailed the seller to find out it's rating and make sure it has the right rear end. I believe the smaller gears still tow 8,500.

Would 97,000 miles scare anyone off on a 6.0L gasser?

Here's another option if I take out a small loan http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/734067916.html rated to tow either 10 or 12K depending on the rear

Jorge
06-27-2008, 02:18 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/730327634.html

Problem is, I'd still need to take Paul's advise and get a blue thermopen with this truck. According to GM this model is rated to pull up to 10,300. I emailed the seller to find out it's rating and make sure it has the right rear end. I believe the smaller gears still tow 8,500.

Would 97,000 miles scare anyone off on a 6.0L gasser?

Here's another option if I take out a small loan http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/734067916.html rated to tow either 10 or 12K depending on the rear

If I didn't know the owner, the mileage could be a concern. That diesel could be as well. I'd want to see maintenance records on either of them. If they don't have them, I'd be looking elsewhere.

Edit: How long do you plan to keep it, and how many miles do you anticipate putting on it during that time?

KC_Bobby
06-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Around 5,000 miles a year, I have a car that I drive everyday. The truck would only be used when I need the space - either bed space or hauling more then 3 people somewhere. (My Jetta ain't fitting 4 adults, unless the person behind me doesn't have legs)

Keep it until I quit competing or the truck no longer serves my needs. I've had my Dakota for 6 years and wouldn't consider selling it if it were still able to meet my needs. It's the pefect size city boy lumber hauler, furniture mover, mulch getter, river/lake runner ... well, you get the idea.

I'm basically wanting to trade for a vehicle of the same value with more towing capabilities. I realize it will likely be a few years older, more miles and/or have less interior comforts.

But I have a hard time justifing much of a payment for a vehicle that's going to being used on the weekends, and not all weekends at that. But at the same time, my worst fear is buying a lemon and sitting on the side of the road on my way to a competition. Which is what I think will happen if I continue to use the Dakota to haul the trailer. I just don't feel it's the best truck with the trailer I have and since we are planning on a larger trailer in the near future, just take the step forward now.

smooookin
06-27-2008, 08:32 PM
All I can go on is my personal experience, but If I were looking for the truck you are wanting I would definitley look at the 1500HD.

I have driven more than one chevy over the 150k mark with little expense. 200K, 180K,240K and 160K. 97K on that truck if it has been maintained and not been pulling mountains should do you well. Be sure to ask about the front wheel bearings, they usually go around the 90 to 100K mark and are expensive to have replaced. That would not stop me from the truck but I would just want to know so I could pay attention.

one more thing, that truck more than likely has a 3:73 rearend.

KC_Bobby
07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
I pulled the trigger.

2003 Ram 2500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
just under 60K on the 5.7 Hemi (10,000 miles left on powertrain waranty)
Came with the shell and stainless nerf bars

Dale P
07-15-2008, 05:34 AM
thats purty!

BBQ_Mayor
07-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Sweet truck bobby. Should do what you want it too.

tboneld
07-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Nice looking truck Bob.

The Pickled Pig
07-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Very cool set of wheels!

Brauma
07-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Yes, very nice and clean. I love a quad cab.

KC_Bobby
07-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Just need to get one of Ployboy's cool pig hitch covers. Andyone want the chrome step insert? I need that 3" so I can walk around the front of it inside the garage. Speaking of which, 1" taller and it would be sitting outside.

Irrad8
07-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Nice lookin ride.

Sawdustguy
07-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Congratulations KC, that oughtta pull it without any sweat at all.

HoDeDo
07-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Just need to get one of Ployboy's cool pig hitch covers. Andyone want the chrome step insert? I need that 3" so I can walk around the front of it inside the garage. Speaking of which, 1" taller and it would be sitting outside.

Nice lookin rig! Almost a twin to my old one. What chrome step insert do you speak of?

KC_Bobby
07-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Andy, look at the receiver. The little lady that owned the truck (and I'm serious, the shell had a sticker that said This isn't my husband's Hemi) must have needed it to get into reach over the tailgate.

When I got in to test drive it, the pedals were all the way forward and the tailgate also has a ladder attached to it. That's on tomorrow's list to take off, along with getting the receiver step off. The receiver lock is frozen. The key turns, but the lock is frozen to the pin - that step must have been on there for years. I gave it a nice squirt of WD40 this evening, hoping that free's it up. If not, I'll do the same tomorrow. Cutting it off will be a pain.