PDA

View Full Version : Payouts at Comps.

baughman
06-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Hello my first post here.

I did a google search since i cant search here( says i need a subscription). What is the standard payout structure of a comp?

The only google comp I found was top 5 for each cat. then the top 10 all cats got trophys. Along with GC and reserve champ got a big payout. Is this standard?

Looking to get into comps next year after getting another WSM or 2. Along with getting some training with teams under my belt.

Is top 5 for each cat standard for each event? Wife and I are looking into it. But hoping its at least top 5 or 10 per event not just the top spot.

I was kind of shocked to see such a top heavy payout were other sports that are payout structured pay a deeper pool.

All tho I guess if most comps have between 15-25 top 5 isnt to bad if top 10 also get trophys.

Just hoping even if you dont recoop all your buyin at least you have a shot at getting some cash to off set expenses.

I see how this sport can get expensive. Even more expensive then golf and my wife made me give that up beyond friendly rounds with friends LOL.

Sledneck
06-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Typically payouts are to 5th place in each category Go to cattle call and introduce yourself.

The_Kapn
06-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Typically payouts are to 5th place in each category Go to cattle call and introduce yourself.

DITTO :lol:

As far a payouts goes, I really depends on the size of the field and the policy of the organizer.
For many events, it is just as you described--top 5 per catagory and GC/RGC with a better payday. That is because it is much harder to cook well in all 4 catagories.
Larger events may pay to 10th or deeper and maybe the top 5 or so overall. Many events are well over 50 teams and run up to several hundred for the "biggies".

I will tell you this--if you can not afford to compete with ZERO winnings, you will not be able to compete for very long.
And, it takes a lot of time, contests, skill, luck, and the proper phases of the moon to place well consistantly.
At the 4 year mark, we are happy to get ANYTHING to help offset, even $50 helps and is hard to win at many events. :oops:

I don't mean to discourage you, but you need to understand the realities of competing.
Best hobby I ever had, bar none!

Welcome to the site.

TIM

watg?
06-20-2008, 02:39 PM
I agree with Sled, most I have seen payout at least the top 5. One word of advice, if you are thinking about competition BBQ for the money, you might want to dust off your golf clubs. :lol:

Sledneck
06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I One word of advice, if you are thinking about competition BBQ for the money, you might want to dust off your golf clubs. :lol: Ditto:biggrin:

baughman
06-20-2008, 03:33 PM
I guess my post came off wrong. Not looking to make money off competing. Just thought like other sports the payouts would be deeper to help off set some of the cost. Bar B-Q comps pretty expesive to enter. I have read enough over the last few months to notice that hehe.
I love to Bar B-Q and love competing so seems like a good match.
Was just trying to see how deep the payouts were in a typical event.
I realise 3k-10k in prize pool for most of the average stops isnt going to pay enough. to even break even. Just hoping after 6 months to a year I could be good enough to cash consistantly( 1 or 2 cats on a lucky weekend) to offset some expenses. Unless all you guys are rich and do this for fun. I assume we all have to look for ways to pay somehow?

At least in Bar B-q on a good day with a little luck, you have a chance to offset some expenses. Golf I spent 10s of thousands with no real chance of making a tour. Before I started playing jsut for fun.

Thank you for your time. I will go back to my hole now

Lakeside Smoker
06-20-2008, 03:39 PM
One word of advice, if you are thinking about competition BBQ for the money, you might want to dust off your golf clubs. :lol:

LMAO!!! :-D:-D Now thats funny! And true!

Ron_L
06-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Go to www.kcbs.us and look at some competitions in your area to get an idea of the payouts. Each comp is a little different. We've cooked two so far this year and one paid out to 10th place in all categories and overall and the other paid to 5th place in all categories and overall.

Greendriver
06-20-2008, 03:47 PM
If your wife made you quit golf you ain't gotta prayer in bbq comps.

Merl
06-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Every KCBS contest (pursuant to the sanctioning agreement) is required to have payouts to 5 places. There is no requirement at to the amounts. There is only a requirement to pay GC and RGC.

We would like recognition to at least 5 places as well.

It appears that the majority of contest now are going to 10 places per category.

Should there not a payout to 5 places, talk to your Reps and Organizer.
Yours in Q

Merl

Ron_L
06-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Every KCBS contest (pursuant to the sanctioning agreement) is required to have payouts to 5 places. There is no requirement at to the amounts. There is only a requirement to pay GC and RGC.

It appears that the majority of contest now are going to 10 places per category.

Yours in Q

Merl

Good point, Merl... We are considering going to Grand Rapids, MI for the Taste of Grand Rapids (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2008&month=07&id=1206) competition but I noticed that the payout is only the top three in each category based on the entry form (http://www.101thefoxrocks.com/cc-common/mlib/1683/05/1683_1210941411.pdf). Since you and Carol are the reps, have they changed this and just not updated the form?

Bigmista
06-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Just hoping after 6 months to a year I could be good enough to cash consistantly( 1 or 2 cats on a lucky weekend) to offset some expenses. Unless all you guys are rich and do this for fun. I assume we all have to look for ways to pay somehow?

At least in Bar B-q on a good day with a little luck, you have a chance to offset some expenses.

Your best bet might contact the promoters in your area and convince them to do People's Choice/Public Sampling at their contests. That way, everyone leaves with a little cash. Otherwise, go to a contest to cook and have fun. If you win a little something, it's a bonus and you won't leave with a bad taste in your mouth (unless you made some really bad BBQ:biggrin:).

ThomEmery
06-20-2008, 08:16 PM
I payout ten places when I can
Always do the Taste sample deal

Merl
06-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!!

bbqbull
06-20-2008, 08:29 PM
When we took 3rd in chicken at this contest back in 2002?
The payout for chicken that year was $100.00 dollars.
Wonder if there are less sponsors this year due to our horrible economy?

Big George's BBQ
06-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Not much money comes in and a lot of money goes out. You are lucky if you can break even for the site and very few do that. I got a second in chicken at Berks last year and it did not cover the site. You can not do it for the money

Ford
06-21-2008, 05:02 AM
Good point, Merl... We are considering going to Grand Rapids, MI for the Taste of Grand Rapids (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2008&month=07&id=1206) competition but I noticed that the payout is only the top three in each category based on the entry form (http://www.101thefoxrocks.com/cc-common/mlib/1683/05/1683_1210941411.pdf). Since you and Carol are the reps, have they changed this and just not updated the form?
That's what it was last year as well. Hopefully Merl will chime in as he is the Rep. I didn't know about the top 5 must be paid or I would have said something last year. There was a time when they paid down to 10th if I remember right and 5th for sure.

Kirk
06-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I never knew this until after we finished 3rd overall at Yardley. 1500 for GC, 1000 for RGC and 0 for 3rd. I understand that everyone wants to do well in the individual categories and I think payouts to 5th in the categories is great (I'd be happy with payouts to 3rd), but isn't the overall ranking the real goal? I'm not complaining, we got 250 for our 2nd place chicken and I was thrilled with that but jeez they didn't even announce the top 5 overall. Just GC and RGC. We didn't even know we were 3rd until we got our sheets at the judges tent when we were leaving. Seems like a lot of work for no recognition. JMHO, not sour grapes. I had a great time and can't wait to do it again but..., I think anyone that swings a top 5 at a KCBS event has really done something worthwhile and should be able to share it with the rest of the winners.

MilitantSquatter
06-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I never knew this until after we finished 3rd overall at Yardley. 1500 for GC, 1000 for RGC and 0 for 3rd. I understand that everyone wants to do well in the individual categories and I think payouts to 5th in the categories is great (I'd be happy with payouts to 3rd), but isn't the overall ranking the real goal? I'm not complaining, we got 250 for our 2nd place chicken and I was thrilled with that but jeez they didn't even announce the top 5 overall. Just GC and RGC. We didn't even know we were 3rd until we got our sheets at the judges tent when we were leaving. Seems like a lot of work for no recognition. JMHO, not sour grapes. I had a great time and can't wait to do it again but..., I think anyone that swings a top 5 at a KCBS event has really done something worthwhile and should be able to share it with the rest of the winners.

I agree.. Same thing happened to me at Yardley last year. Got two calls which I got some cash for.. Ending up placing 3rd overall which did not win any cash. Funny part was I was more excited out coming in 3rd overall than getting the two calls in the categories.

I have no problem with the payouts per category to fifth, but I think overall payouts beyond GC/RGC make sense too.

Kirk
06-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Funny part was I was more excited out coming in 3rd overall than getting the two calls in the categories.
Same here. I'm in it for the overall. Anyone can have a good day in one cat or the next but the overall standing tells me more about how I measured up to the rest of the teams there.

I have no problem with the payouts per category to fifth, but I think overall payouts beyond GC/RGC make sense too.
I'd be happy with payouts through third in the cats and 5th overall. I guess your opinion on this depends on which you think is more important. Right now the payout scheme seems to place more importance on cat placements.

Big George's BBQ
06-23-2008, 08:13 AM
It would be nice if they announced the overall placements 1 through 5 even if no money or trophey is involved

EarlyBird
06-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Most of the contests we go to in the KC area call the top 10 in each catagory and overall, even if they don't pay. If they don't everyone yells to call the top 10 and then they do. Even if you don't get money its nice to have your name called and get recognition from your fellow cooks. It doesn't cost them any money, takes little time and it makes more people happy. I think ALL contests should do it.

Chris

Sledneck
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Most of the contests we go to in the KC area call the top 10 in each catagory and overall, even if they don't pay. If they don't everyone yells to call the top 10 and then they do. Even if you don't get money its nice to have your name called and get recognition from your fellow cooks. It doesn't cost them any money, takes little time and it makes more people happy. I think ALL contests should do it.

Chris
You are correct sir. I like the yelling part, gonna have to remember that

Alexa RnQ
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
If your wife made you quit golf you ain't gotta prayer in bbq comps.
OOOooooo, is that the cynical croak of bitter experience I hear? :lol:

But that's a very valid point. Unless your wife might enjoy participating at comps and the overnight-at-the-site aspect, she's going to have to be VERY understanding. For a round of golf she gets rid of you for a few hours -- a comp is a different animal from Friday setup to Saturday's teardown.

On the calls, I like to hear the top 10 announced -- and most of the comps we go to do this. It adds to the suspense for me -- we're mentally tabulating who got how many calls and where their placement were.

butts
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
I guess us "southerners" are lucky. About half of the contest we do will pay the top ten in each cat and all will pay the top five. I think two contests we are doing this year are paying either the top ten or top five overall!

Divemaster
06-23-2008, 02:07 PM
I agree that comps aren't cheep.... That's why I do catering on the side to support my 'smoking habits' (both cigar and meat smoking)...

baughman
06-23-2008, 05:03 PM
After much reflection. Top 5 in each cat isnt bad. Thats 20 spots to get something and the GC and RGC. Even with 50 teams. If you dont totally suck, You have a chance at , at least a ribbon.

On A side note. Golf wasnt a 1 rnd a week fun time. In my early twentys. I had dreams of making the tour. I spent 3 hrs 5 days a week at the driving range , and spent 5 days at the course. I was spending 10k a year easy. For no return if I didnt make it or take a course pro job. That died fast when my first child was born and i wouldnt change it for the world. 4 kids, 15 years and 70 pnds later I have no regrets.

I didnt pick up a club for almost a decade. I still want competition, but in my late 30s as a Pot-Bellied Stallion. There are not much options that are family friendly. I wont give up much time from family to get good at something. I think BarBQ combines the passion, competition and family friendly area I am looking for. Plus i love to cook and eat, and drink, and smoke a good cigar, and ...........

watg?
06-23-2008, 07:08 PM
I think BarBQ combines the passion, competition and family friendly area I am looking for. Plus i love to cook and eat, and drink, and smoke a good cigar, and ...........[/quote]

your getting warmer!:razz:

G$
06-23-2008, 07:23 PM

Yours in Q

Merl

And make sure the checks don't bounce. "Been there" mod.

Merl
06-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Rich sent me an e-mail today that he is adding to the prize amount to include payment to 5th place in the four kcbs categories.
Looking forward to seeing everyone in GR.
Merl

Ron_L
06-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks, Merl!

Greendriver
06-24-2008, 09:49 AM
i love to cook and eat, and drink, and smoke a good cigar, and ...........

Sounds just like something I might have wrote. Your history with golf and leading up to the present sounds very much like my own. Mine however started about two decades before yours. Started late at age 17 (about 1969) by hanging at an old driving range a Pro at the local Country Club and just purchased to have something to do and a place to sell all that golf equipment he had to take with him when he didn't suck up to rich ladies enough and lost his job. He didn't care for being tied to the place so he hired me and we'd just see how much was taken in at the end of each day and I'd get paid based on the amount and what ever he thought was fair. Many many hours at the end of the range in the shade of the trees with him sitting in chair instructing me and me pounding one ball after the other passed untill I could hit a power pole that set 150 out a couple of times out of a small basket of balls. He was one of the best teaching pros ever and could really play but never could putt very well and the best he did in tournaments was 11th at the 1961 US Open. His advice to me which I would give the world had I have used it which I didn't was that, I started too late to reasonable expect to do well on tour and the thing I should do is play the best golf I could and use my golfing ability to attract good jobs amoung the business owner that I would no doubt be around at the course. Like you marriage and babies took over but not picking up a club for a decade like you was not simply due to family commitments but more to do with the economy. I could barely pay the rent and buy groceries back then. So that's a little history of this now pot bellied, golf loving, bbq cooking and eating, cigar smokin Brethren and I was just razzing you bro, you should definitely see what competition bbq is all about and maybe your wife will love it as much as I'm sure you will and your have it made.

CivilWarBBQ
06-24-2008, 10:52 PM
IMO the only way you can predictably break even on the competition circuit is to recruit sponsors who will cover a large part of your costs. For our team that's typically over $700 by the time you factor in entry fees, meat, ingredients, charcoal, a motel room for one night, fuel for the truck, food and drink for our three team members etc.

It's difficult to get businesses to sponsor an unknown team, so a good strategy is to bring prospects out to a competition and make them feel involved, entertain them, etc. Of course that distracts you from your main purpose, which can make it harder to make it to the stage, so it's kind of a Catch 22. Bottom line is it's like the other folks have said - CompBBQ is a hobby that will cost you a good bit of money and time. You gotta be in it for the love of Barbecue, the wonderful people and the thrill of getting to the stage to pick up a seven dollar trophy, because you're very unlikely to offset your costs at least at for several years.

I think I once saw it quoted that the average number of contests cooked before a team wins a GC is 19. I have know idea where that figure comes from, but it sounds about right, once you discount the beginner's luck factor.