PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Practice

DeanC
06-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Cooked some practice thighs today and would like a little feedback on the box. I haven't done many all parsley boxes. The selection from Price Chopper was crap, but I didn't feel like driving anywhere else. Any suggestions? I know I need to work on more uniform size. Thanks.

BBQ Grail
06-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Practice? That's practice?

They look good to me, but then again since I don't compete all I care about is how they taste. I don't care what they look like and I really don't care about the parsley!

MilitantSquatter
06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I'd give it a 7 for sure but probably an 8. Looks appetizing.

As far as the garnish, my only suggestion might be to try and raise the bed of parsley a drop higher and balance out the perimeter a bit more equally so there is a little less white styrofoam visible. Looks like it's sitting a bit lower than desireable. I know some put chopped/shredded or whole green leaf on the bottom as a base.

Does anyone have a preferred guideline they use as far as how high they like to have the parsley come up the side ? (ex. 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4) ???

Sawdustguy
06-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't know Vinny, Michele will let you know after this weekend as she is going to try some putting greens at Yardley. Dean C I would give it a good 8.

The Pickled Pig
06-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Looks good to me. I'd probably give it an 8.

As previously noted, a more consistent trim and taller parsley bed would make the box look more uniform. Try and get the skin to wrap all the way around each piece.

Just out of curiosity, how much parsley stuck to the bottom of each piece when you pulled it out of the box?

DeanC
06-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Not much, I didn't sauce the bottoms, I spiced them a little heavier than the tops. I used the same box for some practice ribs, and it was intact when I removed the chicken. I would say maybe 1 or 2 pieces per thigh.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-01-2008, 07:22 PM
considering it is a meat contest...looks great probably an 8 or 8+..looks great!

Sledneck
06-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Chicken that looks like chicken i give it a 9

tonto1117
06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Good looking box Dean, a solid 8 for sure. I would bring the parsley up a little more on the sides.

This was my last chicken box.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3798/1000940sz1.jpg

Sledneck
06-01-2008, 08:06 PM
After seeing these i now know why my chicken sucks

QDoc
06-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Very nice 8.

Leeper
06-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Probably an 8 worst case would be a 7. Nice box.

SmokeMeTender
06-02-2008, 09:10 AM
What type of finishing sauce did you use - I would give the box a solid 8

Sir Smoke A Lot
06-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Gotta agree with the other posters - an excellent looking box!

backporchbbq
06-02-2008, 03:46 PM

I agree with you Sled. My chicken always tastes great, but never looks great in the box. This year is going to be nuts for us, new smoker, and not much practice on it, new member on our team. I have only smoked once since October. It should be an interesting season.

Tar River BBQ
06-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Howdy, Great looking Chicken, I would pull the parsily up a little to give it a bolder looking border.
Charlie :-P

Big George's BBQ
06-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Looks good to me. I might add a little green leaf lettuce for some color, and a 7th thigh for the table captain

cmcadams
06-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Just curious as to why you'd season the bottoms differently.... As a judge, I'd think I might bite into too much seasoning and think they were unevenly seasoned, etc. Just a thought.

Bring the garnish up to frame it a bit more... it's possibly a 9 now. it looks great.

Harbormaster
06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I gave it an 8 in my head as soon as I saw the pic.
Very nice looking bird.

Solidkick
06-03-2008, 05:04 PM
You've got about a 1,000 brothers here willing to help you, you just never asked.....:tongue:

On the presentation.....a strong 8 from the picture.....a possible 9 in person, I think the flash from the camera might have skewed my judgement.

DeanC
06-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Just curious as to why you'd season the bottoms differently.... As a judge, I'd think I might bite into too much seasoning and think they were unevenly seasoned, etc. Just a thought.

Bring the garnish up to frame it a bit more... it's possibly a 9 now. it looks great.

I seasoned the bottoms a bit more heavily, not much, because I didn't sauce the bottoms. I figured with the sweetness of the glaze, it would balance it out. I see what your saying, thanks for the tip. Thanks for everyone elses input as well, I will work on bringing the parsley up.

Sledneck
06-03-2008, 08:07 PM
You've got about a 1,000 brothers here willing to help you, you just never asked.....:tongue:

Many and i mean many brothers have offered help with my chicken. I truly believe that it is a curse. Ask the poohbah about what happened to his chicken at salisbury. His got cursed because he was prepping & cooking 10 feet away!! I think my problem might i am focusing on it to much. This weekend at yardley i am going with the i dont give a chit about the chicken attitude.

backporchbbq
06-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Many and i mean many brothers have offered help with my chicken. I truly believe that it is a curse. Ask the poohbah about what happened to his chicken at salisbury. His got cursed because he was prepping & cooking 10 feet away!! I think my problem might i am focusing on it to much. This weekend at yardley i am going with the i dont give a chit about the chicken attitude.

Well I hope I am no were near you at Yardley then. I can always walk over and say hi.:biggrin:

MoKanMeathead
06-04-2008, 11:40 AM
\

I know some teams season the bottom of chicken thighs a little more than the tops. Their theory is that the tongue is where most of the taste buds are and it is what hits the thigh first.

cmcadams
06-04-2008, 11:49 AM
I can understand that, but the cook has no control over what bite a judge takes... I try to get everything more uniform, I guess.