PDA

View Full Version : CBJ's *FOR* Competitors

motoeric
05-27-2008, 09:49 PM
This is sort of an odd question, but would it help Brethren who are competing if there was a fellow Brethren who was a CBJ at the event (just visiting numerous friends and wandering about) who could offer constructive criticism or help them to decide between slice A or slice B to put in the box?

Would a perspective from someone who judges a great deal but is NOT (therefor not having a prejudicial opinion) a member of your team be helpful?

Eric

MilitantSquatter
05-27-2008, 10:45 PM
For a new team or those cooking solo, it might be helpful...

Still for other teams, it might be challenging to make it work. Turn in times can get hectic. Most teams should have a plan going in as to what they are looking for regarding their finished product. Some probably have pre-assigned responsibilities at this crunch time as to who tests what, who makes suggestions and the final call as to what goes in the box.

Second guessing yourself at the last minute based on anothers opinion can be dangerous. Especially if the CBJ isn't close enough to your previous finished products knowing how successful or not you have been with your decisions.

Ex. last minute a CBJ says the rib is too salty or spicy, so you layer on a ton of sweet sauce at the end. Maybe you always did well with salty or spicy but this CBJ is steering you away from your teams original gameplan. Or they critique how the brisket is positioned in the box so you decide to switch it.

Then if the ribs or brisket don't place as well as you have in the past you may feel the CBJ made a bad suggestion and are partially responsible for the less than desired result. If my money or teammates money is invested, I'd rather us make the calls and deal with the results, both good or bad.

JohnMcD348
05-27-2008, 11:03 PM
I can see where that could be of help, especially to the newer guys competing. I know for my first outing, if it hadn't been for all the Brothers and one sister lending me a hand and giving me tips throughout the day and night, there would have been no way on earth I would have placed as well as I did.

KC_Bobby
05-27-2008, 11:14 PM
I'd suggest becoming a CBJ and judging a handful of comps.

Just Pulin' Pork
05-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I'd suggest becoming a CBJ and judging a handful of comps.

Ditto what Bobby said!

Keri C
05-28-2008, 10:02 AM
We judged frequently for several years before we took the plunge and cooked our first comp - last count, I think we've judged at around 50 contests. We still judge quite a bit, but are cooking more often this year. We never cooked with another team, though - we just jumped right in as Hot Wire on our own and floundered our way along. Judging that long helped us tremendously in identifying what was going over well at the judges' tables, as well as learning what we liked and didn't like as far as flavors and presentations.

To date, we have only cooked eight comps, this being our 4th year. (Cooked 1 comp our 1st year, 2 our 2nd year, 3 our 3rd year, and 2 so far this year.) I believe that our judging experience and a massive amount of the luck of the tables, in combination with the Stumper clone that DH Robert built, has played a major role in helping us hit 8th x 79, 4th x 49, 3rd x 76, and 2nd x 46 overall in our last four comps. Here's hoping the table luck holds out... :redface:

It might be nice to have an experienced judge around to talk to before hand, and hear his opinion of what he likes and doesn't like in a box, but don't second-guess your own abilities, and don't let him control what you do in your own boxes. There's a fine line between a CBJ and a DSJ...

ModelMaker
05-28-2008, 10:56 AM
I learned a valuable lesson when I was just learning to golf. A buddy hit his tee shot on a par 3 and stuck it near the pin. I asked him what he hit and he said "I hit a sweet little wedge". Well I picked out my pithing wedge and hit and the ball landed about halfway to the green!!!!!
Moral of the story is this guy has been golfing since childhood and knew how to bang the hell out of a golf ball.
The lesson learned is " Play Your Own Game" you are the only one responsible for the outcome.
ModelMaker

zabor16
05-28-2008, 11:50 AM
I am new to this arena and looking at doing my first cook this fall. I went to a CBJ class in January to get an idea of what KCBS says is good BBQ. It was interesting and I did learn a few things. I will also judge a couple of comps before actually cooking to see what is turned in and how presentations look. I don't know if I would want someone looking over my shoulder at turn in time and trying to second guess what an individual judge wants. It is a very subjective process.

As ModelMaker said "Play your own game"!

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
05-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Im with Bobby, thats why Tom and I are hosting and cooking for a class of 60 this weekend (Pat and Scott - Well Smoke You are helping)..

Cant get enough CBJs out there in our opinion, especially now that are "Card Carrying Members"....