PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Contest Rankings Tracker Widget

The Pickled Pig
05-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Mods - if this isn't the right place or it's deemed inappropriate feel free to move or delete.

I'm looking for a few candidates willing to help me beta-test an html widget on their website or blog.

This widget is a live feed into my KCBS contest results database and it displays the team's current Power Rankings based on 2008 contest results. Here's an example of the widget:

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppforumimages/widget.jpg

The widget can be used anywhere HTML code is accepted (i.e., web pages, blogs, bulletin boards, email signatures, etc.). The colors and heading are customizable and can be changed to match the design characteristics of your site. The only size I currently have available is 175 pixels wide x 205 pixels high.

Requirements - 1) you must have a Top 10 Overall finish in a KCBS contest this year, 2) you need to know enough about HTML to copy a snippet of HTML code and paste it onto your web page, and 3) you need to provide feedback.

If you meet these requirements and would like to be a beta-tester for the tracking widget, PM me and I'll send you a link to the widget generator.

kcpellethead
05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Paul,

I'm interested. I only meet two of the three requirements though. Gulp . . . .

Rod

KC_Bobby
05-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I'll send you a PM, then another and another and another trying to get it to work. Any chance I can just provide you access to my site to load it?

Plowboy
05-19-2008, 10:55 PM
PM Sent.

Scottie
05-19-2008, 11:05 PM
I'd do it. Or should I say, I could get it set up on my site... I am a big fan of your site. I just love numbers...

Scottie

The Pickled Pig
05-20-2008, 10:16 AM
For the time being, I have enough beta testers. Thanks to everyone who is helping me out.

Sawdustguy
05-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Cool little widget but I am not sure I would want anyone know where we are ranked.:eek::tongue:

Keri C
05-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Paul, this is the first time I've seen your ranking site. I love it! It's always fun to see where you rank against other cooks. When you're number 487, you try harder, you know?

I'll love it even more when you have the opportunity to put the Claremore results in... :biggrin:

If you need another tester later on, let me know. I love digital widgets! Thanks for your hard work.

Keri C

KC_Bobby
05-20-2008, 04:10 PM
When is KCBS going to enter this past weekend's data? I want to be part of the fun.
-:mad:kicking and stomping mod:icon_pissed

:icon_devil

:biggrin:

Keri C
05-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Each rep is responsible for his/her own contest results, if I remember correctly. Whoever is putting them in, though, they've started, as the Claremore Boots and BBQ results from this weekend are up now. :biggrin:

KC_Bobby
05-20-2008, 04:23 PM
How bout Warsaw? (I can't get into KCBS site from work - stupid webwatcher)

Keri C
05-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Yep, they're in. Congratulations on the RGC! 1st in ribs, 1st in pork, and 6th in brisket - very nice!

KC_Bobby
05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks!

I'll quit kickin & screamin now! (And crack another beer ... well when I get home). I feel like Navin Johnson after getting listed in the phone book.

Jorge
05-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks!

I'll quit kickin & screamin now! (And crack another beer ... well when I get home). I feel like Navin Johnson after getting listed in the phone book.

Just stay away from the cans!

The Pickled Pig
05-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Paul, this is the first time I've seen your ranking site. I love it! It's always fun to see where you rank against other cooks. When you're number 487, you try harder, you know?

I'll love it even more when you have the opportunity to put the Claremore results in... :biggrin:

If you need another tester later on, let me know. I love digital widgets! Thanks for your hard work.

Keri C

I tried to PM you Kerri but your inbox is full.

KC_Bobby
05-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Easy peasy - check it out!

Customized width and customized the colors to fit our page.

Paul, can I change the margins or center some copy?

Plowboy
05-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Up and running Paul. Like Staples... that was easy.

KC_Bobby
05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Dude, you only have a National Ranking? Boondoggle has a World Ranking!

Might be a Milky Way Galaxy Ranking soon.

The Pickled Pig
05-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Easy peasy - check it out!

Customized width and customized the colors to fit our page.

Paul, can I change the margins or center some copy?

How does it look now?

Plowboy
05-20-2008, 10:54 PM
I'd like to see a little less space where it says "We're ranked".

The Pickled Pig
05-20-2008, 11:06 PM
I'd like to see a little less space where it says "We're ranked".

Done. Of course, now everyone may want to change the height of the iframe, especially if used on a contrasting color (like Bobby). To do this, replace:

style="width:150px;height:200px;"

with:

style="width:150px;height:180px;"

Or, go back to the generator and get new widget code.

Plowboy
05-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Much better.

KC_Bobby
05-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Sweet

188 pix high gives it more of an equal border - 180 kind of looks chopped off

Paola Greg
05-21-2008, 07:00 AM
Paul, it's really cool how our rankings automatically updated, after you updated all the rankings on your site last night. Awesome, thanks for letting me try it.

MoKanMeathead
05-21-2008, 08:10 AM
That is awesome Paul - ours seems to be working good.

Thanks!!

KC_Bobby
05-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Paul,
As I signed up to do, more feedback...

As cool as this thing is the teams we are being ranked out of per catagory and overall is different. I understand why, 412 different teams have had a 10th of higher finish in Ribs and only 365 teams have had a top 10 overall finish so far this year, BUT shouldn't the number of teams really be the number of different teams that have entered a KCBS sanctioned competition this year?

I think I already know the answer to why it is the way it is, but just throwing feedback out. But come on Paul, how hard can it be to match up every team every week from every competition to see if they are an additional team or already in the mix?

BTW, the widget is awesome.

The Pickled Pig
05-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Paul,
As I signed up to do, more feedback...

As cool as this thing is the teams we are being ranked out of per catagory and overall is different. I understand why, 412 different teams have had a 10th of higher finish in Ribs and only 365 teams have had a top 10 overall finish so far this year, BUT shouldn't the number of teams really be the number of different teams that have entered a KCBS sanctioned competition this year?

I think I already know the answer to why it is the way it is, but just throwing feedback out. But come on Paul, how hard can it be to match up every team every week from every competition to see if they are an additional team or already in the mix?

BTW, the widget is awesome.

I've pondered this question for a while. I'm not sure there is a "right" answer but maybe the best answer is to do what everyone finds most meaningful.

The answer you suggest, to count all of the teams that have competed in a KCBS contest this year isn't a real possibility for me right now. While I know that 2,199 teams have competed so far this year, I don't know how many or which ones of those teams are duplicates since I'm only tracking the Top 10 from each category. The resulting number would be skewed beyond viability.

Two options I can think of that would be easy to use:

1) Leave it the way it is. The number of teams listed in each category are the distinct teams that have been ranked (scored a Top 10) in that category so far this year. For example, The Pickled Pig is currently ranked 131 out of 418 different teams that have scored a Top 10 in chicken this year.

2) Use the total number of distinct teams that have been ranked (scored a Top 10) this year, regardless of category. If this method is used, the number of teams listed in the denominator will be the same in each category. For example, TPP would be ranked 131 out of 825 in chicken and 51 out of 825 in pork right now if this method was used.

Method #1 seemed to be the best option to me. Although it's not a ranking against all who competed or all who are ranked, it is a ranking against other teams that are ranked in that category. But I'm not married to it so if method #2 is favored, I'd change it.

There could be other ways to calculate the ranking denominator as well. I'm open to ideas.

KC_Bobby
05-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I see I forgot my rolling eyes. I hope the sarcasm made it's way through.

The Pickled Pig
05-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Anyone with a Top 10 Overall finish in a KCBS contest this year can get a rankings widget at my site now. They can be used in any application or site that accepts HTML code.

Plowboy
05-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Paul,

Are you going to switch to the new KCBS TOY scoring system and use number of teams as a weighting factor?

The Pickled Pig
05-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Paul,

Are you going to switch to the new KCBS TOY scoring system and use number of teams as a weighting factor?

Currently, I'm only tracking the Top 10 in each category from each contest. The new KCBS TOY scoring gives points to every team that competes in a contest (i.e., last place at GAB and the Royal still get 125 points). My database will not accumulate points for teams that don't get a Top 10 at a contest so it is not possible for me to exactly duplicate the KCBS TOY standings.

That being said, my DIY rankings (http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/rankings/DIYRankings.cfm)page assigns the correct point totals and bonus points for the Top 10 at each contest. As the season progresses, the differences between the results on my DIY page and the KCBS TOY are minimal because both systems only use a team's ten best contests and all of the top teams will have ten or more Top 10 finishes. There will be no difference in the Top 25 teams, very little difference in the Top 50 and little difference in the Top 100. The difference between the two scoring systems will be more pronounced earilier in the season and more pronounced the further down the rankings you go because the KCBS is giving points to teams that I don't even track.

I guess it depends on what you want to see and what you would find most meaningful. From a programming standpoint, it's like flipping a switch. I could use either methodology (the one currently being used or one that mimics the KCBS scoring).

So I'm going to turn the question back to you. Which of those two scoring methods would you like to see in the widget?

Interesting side note - by the end of the season it won't really matter too much what scoring methodology you use. I've experimented with several different ways and the final results are always similar. Some have the teams in a different order but the Top teams are always the Top teams, regardless of the methodology being used to rank them.

Vince RnQ
05-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for making the Widget available. We're happy to post it on our website and hopefully send people over to your site in the process.

www.rhythmnque.com (http://www.rhythmnque.com)

Keri C
06-02-2008, 01:23 PM
We didn't have a team website made up, so I built a quick blog to test our widget. www.hotwirebbq.blogspot.com (http://www.hotwirebbq.blogspot.com). I'm an old HTML programmer - this blog setup is a whole new thing for me. Amazing that you can build in about 2 minutes what used to take us two days and endless messing with columns.

Thanks again for the widget! :-D

Keri C

Just Pulin' Pork
06-02-2008, 02:29 PM
We didn't have a team website made up, so I built a quick blog to test our widget. www.hotwirebbq.blogspot.com (http://www.hotwirebbq.blogspot.com). I'm an old HTML programmer - this blog setup is a whole new thing for me. Amazing that you can build in about 2 minutes what used to take us two days and endless messing with columns.

Thanks again for the widget! :-D

Keri C

Keri that is a great looking blog! We use the same tool for ours.

Jaybird
06-03-2008, 09:24 AM
oops