PDA

View Full Version : What time do you show up?

ipls3355
05-19-2008, 09:03 PM
What time do you usually get to a competition to set up? How late is to late?
(assuming 12:00, 12:30, 1:00, and 1:30 turn in times)

The Pickled Pig
05-19-2008, 09:21 PM
What time do you usually get to a competition to set up?

The more comps I do, the earlier I seem to arrive at the contest site. I used to go after work on Friday nights. Now, I'm stressing if I'm not there by 11AM.

How late is to late?
(assuming 12:00, 12:30, 1:00, and 1:30 turn in times)

That all depends on your cooking processes.

We slow cook our big cuts and go through an injection/marinade process with them that needs several hours of soak time. So if our meat isn't checked in by noon we have to shorten the process.

I've seen teams that don't fire up the cooker until 6AM on Saturdays so they just need to get there sometime when the meat can be checked in.

Timmy
05-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Well we have this problem that always seems to get in the way...it's called work. And for some reason the company thinks I should be doing it. I don't know where they get these crazy ideas at. So as a result we dont get to the comp untill 6:00pm or sometimes later. And yes many times we are the last to arrive and yes we have missed some of the cooks meetings. But just let them know that you will arrive late and things seems to be alright.
How late is too late...as long as you can get your stuff done...your not to late.
Those are my story and I'm sticking to it. Or it's stuck to me.

ZILLA
05-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I like to get there between 12:00 noon and 5:00pm on Friday. We have done one as late as 9:00pm, it sucks setting up in the dark.

Coz
05-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Timely question.Our first comp is in a couple weeks and I was wondering what time most get there.I took the day off and am thinking on getting there 9 or 10 am.

mds2
05-19-2008, 09:59 PM
I used to get there late, like 4 or 5. But now I try to get there by noon or so. It is a lot easier to get set up, camper parked, etc. before there are a ton of people trying to do the same.

bbqbull
05-19-2008, 10:00 PM
The handfull of comps ive done I like to arrive just after they allow us to.
I like to get their early, get a good/great spot near water/electricity if possible.
Also keep a fair distance from the porta potties, but not too far from the turn in tent.
I call it first come, first served w/ammentities.
The comps that ive attended allow folks to arrive around 9.00 am, and im there very soon after that.

Jeff_in_KC
05-19-2008, 10:04 PM
I'd love to get to comps Thursday night if possible. Doesn't usually work that way but it will this weekend! Thursday night through Sunday night... little sleep, lots of beer, fun times with friends! Oh yeah, I guess I'll cook too. But to answer your question, I like to arrive between 9 and 10 am Friday.

Ron_L
05-19-2008, 10:24 PM
It depends on the distance but generally around noon.

BBQchef33
05-19-2008, 10:46 PM
if its a long drive, we get there thursday night, drop off the trailer and get a good nights sleep locally in a hotel.. then arrive onsite as early as possible.. usually around 9am.

local ones.. arrive between 7-9am. We like to fark around in the afternoon. But we try to get there early as possible to put the trailer in a spot without having to navigate into a 20x20 from in between the rows.

Neal
05-19-2008, 10:52 PM
I used to think we had to be there as early as possible. But the longer I do this, the less it stresses me to arrive later. If the contest is close to home, I'll work a half day, go home and head out...usually get there around 3 or 4. If I can get the whole day off, we'll get there earlier...but there is no sense in rushing anything - you'll just get in a huff and forget something.

As long as you travel light, keep it simple and have a game plan, you have nothing to worry about.

KC_Bobby
05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
I like to have the canopies and tables set up at least by 2:30 so I can take my time setting up everything else while under the shade. Enough time to run to the store if needed, say some hellos and have some fun in the afternoon before I start marinating, injecting and rubbing. I trim at home, and that helps alot.

We also learned that if your team is small/don't have a designated pitbitch, one can save a lot of energy and time by not making a meal on Friday night. Bring a sandwich, snacks, etc. Same with breakfast, bring some fruit, bagels, or something. Before you know it, you'll be testing your products and by 1:30 I'm always full till later that evening.

Kiss - keep it simple starting

BBQchef33
05-19-2008, 11:26 PM
travel light?

waz zat?

:)

Plowboy
05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Noon is what I try to shoot for.

SP
05-20-2008, 02:03 AM
How long do you want to prep for?
How long do you want you meat to be seasoned/marinated for?
How long does it take you set-up?
How long do you cok for?
Figure out those things and you have an idea.
I get there in the morning the day before turn in so I have time to do my stuff and enjoy the day.

ipls3355
05-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Thanks guys. There are a few around here within a couple hours drive. But I have trouble getting fridays off. So I couldn't get to them till 6 or 7. Looks like thats doable, but not recomended.

Thanks again

Roo-B-Q'N
05-20-2008, 07:58 AM
We try to get to a contest as soon as we can so we are not messing around getting the trailer squared away. If it is local I will drop the trailer and Char and she can work form the trailer, I have to be at work to do work so I head back until 3 or 4 p.m.
Last contest we were at one team showed up at 3 a.m. and the organizer came back to check in their meat. Don't know that I would be that gracious if I were not staying on sight. But who knows.

Muzzlebrake
05-20-2008, 08:02 AM
I like to get there early afternoon the day before

early morning day of at the latest

Sawdustguy
05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
We get there as early as we can so our meat can be inspected early and we get set up promptly. Rushing takes the fun away from the contest.

Fatback Joe
05-20-2008, 11:11 AM
I like to be on site by 9 am or so..........same reasons as others. No rush setting up, getting the meat inspected..........leisurely BBQ pace.

Now when it comes to packing and heading out........I haul arse.

tony76248
05-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I try to get my trailer dropped off on Thursday, that way I get a choice spot. Then again, sometimes my choice spot isn't so choice when all is said and done.

Even when I arrive on Thursday, I am amazed at how many folks are already there.

Bigmista
05-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Friday between noon and 2pm when possible. No trailer for us. Just setting up and getting ready for potluck!