PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Pretty Good Barbecue

cmcadams
05-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Even though this is mostly a non-competition event, there will be a bit of competition with it... and it's the only place to do the 'Roll Call' as a prefix!

So who all is making it, and from where?

smokeandbeer
05-08-2008, 11:22 PM
You know I'm there Curt. Probably won't be much competition with the more experienced Brethren, as I'm very junior league compared to most. But I can tend the fire and am willing to help in any way I can. Plus look forward to meeting some Brethren and serving the underserved in that community.

Let me know about the meat delivery on Friday if help is still needed.

cmcadams
05-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Jeff, you never know how you'll do. :)

And the good news is that the meat will be delivered on Thursday, and Steve B. has it covered! I'm sure I'll come up with other stuff for Friday... I'll pm you my number tomorrow so we can talk.

ZBQ
05-09-2008, 12:30 AM
You know I'll be there Curt.:-D

Can't wait.

I sent you a PM a while ago.

What time should we plan on being there on Saturday?

I'd like to come Friday but the wife gave me the Evil Eye when I asked.:roll:

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-09-2008, 06:24 AM
i'll stop in sometime... can i bring my 34' rv?

cmcadams
05-09-2008, 06:49 AM
We'll be set up for people to come in any time after noon... But if you want to help set up, we'll be there at 11 am.

And Rick, you're welcome any time... And if you can park your rig on the street, there's room on Main st.! :) Actually, other than on Sunday after 9:00 am, there's probably plenty of room.

ZBQ
05-09-2008, 08:19 AM
I know we had a couple of changes in plans.
Is this going to be on pavement, stone or grass?
Any pics of the site?
I checked out the website but don't know which place we will be.

cmcadams
05-09-2008, 08:50 AM
It's the Dayton site, not the Beavercreek site. I'm going to be there Sunday, and I'll get a shot. We'll be in grass, it looks like, but I'll know for sure Sunday.

The only change was when I was considering doing this in Beavercreek to them cart over to Dayton, but I changed my mind; this is for the Dayton neighborhood, and we'll be safe with enough guys, and the cops know we'll be there. If we can feed him some of those beef ribs (and there should be plenty of room to cook them), the cops will stick around.

Bbq Bubba
05-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Oh ya, i'll be there! Been really looking forward to this!
Bringing a couple of drums and may do a drum demo if any of the guys are interested!
Now were having a meat comp, an ABT and a fatty contest!! :eek:
Should be a busy but eventful night! Feel sorry for any farkers that fall asleep.....:twisted:
Will have the camera and take lots of pics!
Can't wait to see them Spicewines up close and personal! :shock:

The Pigman
05-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Good luck with it Curt, hope you have great weather for it, I will be thinking of you guys........

Harbormaster
05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm comin'! I'm comin'! All the way from beautiful Wyocena, WI. For those of you unfamiliar with Wisconsin geography, Wyocena is about 5 miles West of Rio and 3 miles South of Pardeeville.

I'll leave work early on Friday and drive to Chicago to meet up with Divemaster and tranfer gear from my car to his vehicle (I hope to win the smallest pit award with my WSM!)
I reckon we'll be leaving the Chicago area around 7:00am Saturday, and be in Dayton around noon. I have sent dates and times to my brother in Hillsboro OH, and hopefully he comes and checks it out too.
I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or keep a thought in my head [Shawshank mod]

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm comin'! I'm comin'! All the way from beautiful Wyocena, WI. For those of you unfamiliar with Wisconsin geography, Wyocena is about 5 miles West of Rio and 3 miles South of Pardeeville.

I'll leave work early on Friday and drive to Chicago to meet up with Divemaster and tranfer gear from my car to his vehicle (I hope to win the smallest pit award with my WSM!)
I reckon we'll be leaving the Chicago area around 7:00am Saturday, and be in Dayton around noon. I have sent dates and times to my brother in Hillsboro OH, and hopefully he comes and checks it out too.
I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or keep a thought in my head [Shawshank mod]

smallest pit award? huh? :shock:

i'm bringing my mini egg, 9" diameter grid :biggrin:

Bbq Bubba
05-09-2008, 08:22 PM

Winner.......:cool:

Harbormaster
05-10-2008, 09:35 AM

I concede, you win. :icon_sleepy

chinesebob
05-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm going to be there with my SusieQ. I'll have a lot of extra stuff, tables, charcoal, wood, etc. I'm bringing my coffee press and some good coffee.

Curt - will we have access to a stove? Hot water?
Do you have the address?

I'm planning on being there around 2-3 (wait for the kids to go down for a nap).

I know this might sound funny, but is smoking allowed?

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-10-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm going to be there with my SusieQ. I'll have a lot of extra stuff, tables, charcoal, wood, etc. I'm bringing my coffee press and some good coffee.

Curt - will we have access to a stove? Hot water?
Do you have the address?

I'm planning on being there around 2-3 (wait for the kids to go down for a nap).
I know this might sound funny, but is smoking allowed?

if i may:
here's the church website:
dayton vineyard (http://www.daytonvineyard.com/index.php?cat_id=31&page_id=167)

address is 1222 N. Main St. Dayton, Ohio 45405

here's curt's other thread on the subject:
a pretty good barbeque (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38272)

one question i have is where are you planning on sleeping if you are planning on sleeping? a tent? a cardboard box?

i don't live very far from the church if anyone wanted to stop in after the event on sunday

Bbq Bubba
05-10-2008, 11:38 AM
if i may:
here's the church website:
dayton vineyard (http://www.daytonvineyard.com/index.php?cat_id=31&page_id=167)

address is 1222 N. Main St. Dayton, Ohio 45405

here's curt's other thread on the subject:
a pretty good barbeque (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38272)

one question i have is where are you planning on sleeping if you are planning on sleeping? a tent? a cardboard box?

i don't live very far from the church if anyone wanted to stop in after the event on sunday

As previously stated, i would advise against any sleeping.....:shock:
I would love to stop out and see your place Sunday before we go Rick, look forward to meeting you! :cool:

cmcadams
05-10-2008, 01:22 PM
We'll have access to a full kitchen, with hot water, inside the church.

People can sleep in the church or in tents if they bring tents.

Smoking outside should be ok; I'll check tomorrow when I'm there.

I'm getting really keyed up. I'm doing my first BGE cook today to get used to it a bit.. 2 butts and 2 brisket flats, as well as a couple pork tenderloins.

cmcadams
05-11-2008, 08:22 AM
I just looked at the extended forecast, and it looks perfect so far... Pray that it stays that way!

Bbq Bubba
05-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Hows the weather lookin now??
Not that it matters!
Did you say well hve electricity (canopy lights)?

ZBQ
05-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Hows the weather lookin now??
Not that it matters!
Did you say well hve electricity (canopy lights)?

Not lookin to great.:roll:

Saturday
40 % chance of PM T-storms/Wind. High 69

Sunday
30% chance of Few showers. High 67

Lows in the low 50's to high 40's

From Weather.com (http://www.weather.com/?from=gn_logo_welcome). Just type in Dayton Ohio on the search box.

I have canopy lights for my Easy Up.

Coz
05-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Wish I could be there ,All I can say is watch out for the Wyocena Flashes Magic ABTs

cmcadams
05-15-2008, 11:01 PM
I just looked... 40% chance of rain/storms until 6 pm, then it should settle down, and Sunday is listed as mostly sunny. This is going to go just fine! worst case is we don't start cooking until later in the evening anyway, so things will be great!

bbqbull
05-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Curt, please shoot me your cell #.
Thanks brother.

ZBQ
05-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Curt, we've gotten close to 3 1/2 inches of rain over here in the last 2 days.

Just curious if you think mud is going to be a problem over there.

I wouldn't want to pull our big heavy pits and trucks up on the lawn
and tear up the church's grass and make ruts.

Any "Plan B" area if it's too muddy? Parking lot?

cmcadams
05-16-2008, 08:59 AM
I don't think it will be a problem, but it's hard to tell. The grass is VERY thick, and there's room tomorrow in the parking lot. I think we'll be ok.

Right now, it looks like possible rain from 1-6, which shouldn't be too too bad. But if you have tarps, etc., for rain, you might want to bring them along.

Looks calm Saturday after 7, and sunny Sunday morning, though there may be some rain in the early afternoon.

Keep praying; things are going to be just fine.

ZBQ
05-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Sounds good.

Got a long day ahead.
Getting everything ready.

Can't wait to see everyone!

Bbq Bubba
05-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Long day is right!!
Trying to finish up some projects around the house (honey do mod) :cool:
Got a list of items to load, heck, you'd think i was going to a comp!! :eek:
Are we still doing the ABT and fatty contest?
Hey Curt, will we be able to park close to where were setting up?

cmcadams
05-16-2008, 10:33 AM
You'll be parking right in the same area, in a semi-secluded parking lot, within feet of any of the rigs.

Harbormaster
05-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Just putting on the finishing touches.
Haircut? Check.
ABTs? Check.
Fatties? Check.
WSM? Check.
Chair? Check.
Sleeping bag & pillow? Check.
Drink? Check.
Smoke wood? Check.

Even if I forget anything, I'm good to go with that list.
I can NOT WAIT to see all of you. And, as a bonus, my little brother will show up sometime Saturday.

CajunSmoker
05-16-2008, 01:23 PM
I hope you guys have a great time and I'll be with you in spirit:-D and someone try to keep Bubba out of trouble:rolleyes:

cmcadams
05-16-2008, 01:27 PM
You're with us in more than spirit... thanks for helping out!

Bbq Bubba
05-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I hope you guys have a great time and I'll be with you in spirit:-D and someone try to keep Bubba out of trouble:rolleyes:

Hey....i resemble that remark!! :cool:

Curt, could you post the address one more time, seems like i misplaced it.
Thanks and look forward to seeing you all tomorrow! :biggrin:

cmcadams
05-16-2008, 01:43 PM
1222 N. Main St. Dayton, Ohio 45405

Going north on Main, it's only a few blocks from I75. Turn right at the corner where you see a Family Dollar, then an immediate left into the parking lot. You won't see the Vineyard sign until you've already passed that street, but you can always go around the block.

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-16-2008, 11:49 PM
i won't get there till later in the afternoon. i have to cut at least the back yard and visit my mom at the hospital and maybe get some food to cook.

i don't think i'll stay over night, but i'll visit for awhile.

bbqbull
05-17-2008, 05:39 AM
Good Luck to everybody going to help Curt!

Hope the weather holds for the event, and take some pictures for us here who cant attend.

ZBQ
05-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Hope everyone has a safe trip.

I'm really looking forward to this.

See you there!

cmcadams
05-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Here is how things look right now....

partly cloudy into the afternoon, then possible showers until 6-ish. Clearing, then showers possible here and there starting about 1 am and lasting up to a few hours. Clearing by morning, getting windy (15-20mph), but rain holding off until 4, which gives us time to serve and clean up. I think this will work fine!

We can do all prep inside; the kitchen is really good sized, so the rain this afternoon won't be a big deal at all.

Keep praying that the rain dodges us completely!

Bbq Bubba
05-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Weather looks fine, packed up and hitting the road shortly!! :biggrin:

smokeandbeer
05-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Just got up and am finishing loading the rigs. Look forward to seeing you all there in a few hours!

cmcadams
05-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Pray for my back.. twisted it this morning!

The bad news is that I'm not bringing the XL BGE.. My wife can't help me get it in the vehicle, but we might be able to come back to get it.

Ron_L
05-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your back, Curt! You should have enough strong backs available to get the Egg if you need it.

Good luck with the event and don't forget the pictures!

bbqbull
05-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Any news of how the brethren did at this cook for the church?

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Any news of how the brethren did at this cook for the church?

i think they won! look at the two threads in qtalk............

Derek
03-19-2010, 05:23 PM
We're still coming and I want to help cook when I'm there!

Divemaster
03-22-2010, 11:47 AM
We're still coming and I want to help cook when I'm there!
I think you maybe a little late for the one in this thread... It was from 2008... There is a new thread in Q-Talk for this years event....

bobaftt
05-13-2010, 10:41 AM
I am ready to go. Didn't find this thread until today. I am looking forward to meeting you guys.