PDA

View Full Version : Score This Brisket Box

The Pickled Pig
05-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I had some time on my hands this weekend to do a brisket dress rehearsal. How would you score the entry?

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppforumimages/maybrisket/7.jpg

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppforumimages/maybrisket/8.jpg

mds2
05-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Wow! 9!

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-04-2008, 08:40 PM
But can you do it with no sleep while pickled?

Just kidding. Very nice looking box. Looks juicy and has a wonderful (I know that it shouldn't count) smoke ring.

Roo-B-Q'N
05-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Without reading others posts, I gave it a 7. I was taken aback by the symetrical look of the the brisket and the burnt ends. Just didn't look like a natural cut or looking piece of meat. Not sure if the big chunks on top did anything for me or not, I finally decided to to not count up or down for it.
Good smoke ring, and looks moist. The box looks pleasing to look as well.

Kung Fu BBQ
05-04-2008, 09:13 PM
the parsley is a bit thick. thats my gripe

rookiedad
05-04-2008, 09:18 PM
the pre trimmed squared off slices are interesting. the uniformity of the placement draws attention to where it is not uniform, such as the size difference of the ends in the upper right corner and the width of the garnish along the top as compared to the bottom. there seems to be some rub coming loose on slice one and three and i would try to cover more of the box with meat and use a thinner border of garnish. aside from this i think it looks really good and even though i am not qualified as a judge would give you an eight!

ZBQ
05-04-2008, 09:54 PM
WOW!! 9

Almost TOO pretty, if that's possible.

First time I have seen a smoke ring almost all the way around a slice of brisket.
You must have shaved that fat cap pretty thin to get that.
Looks nice.
I like the way the meat sets up on top and is front and center.
Not sunk down in a bowl of salad.

Great job!

Sawdustguy
05-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Thats the best damn brisket box I ever saw.

BBQ Grail
05-04-2008, 10:38 PM
This is why I would be so frustrated if I did comps. It's more about what the garnish looks like and if your meat is "even."

Dude that stuff looks fantastic and I would be proud to chomp down on it. And you wouldn't even need to give me any dang parsley.

Captain Caveman
05-05-2008, 07:25 AM
I would score it a 9.......looks great!

SP
05-05-2008, 07:36 AM
I went 8. Something a little too unnatural about the shape of brisket. I would also try and pick off some of the specs on the meat. That being over picky, but the meat does look juicy and tasty.

cmcadams
05-05-2008, 08:07 AM
I said '8'... the meat doesn't look moist, it doesn't make me want to reach into my screen to have some... but looks very good.

ModelMaker
05-05-2008, 08:14 AM
I find no fault with your entry.... 9
ModelMaker

cmcadams
05-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I thought finding no fault would = a 6 :)

tony76248
05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Looks like a 9 to me based on the other boxes folks post to be rated. Nice smoke ring, it looks moist based on the picture my screen shows. I also like that it isn't being hidden by the garnish, but rests on top.

YankeeBBQ
05-05-2008, 10:08 AM
I give it an 8. Might be a 9 if I was actually judging because you don't get to look at it for more than a few seconds in a real judging situation and I might not notice the smudged bark. You should put a seventh piece in there for the table captain show them a little love !

BBQ_Mayor
05-05-2008, 10:10 AM
easy 9.. A 6 ? no way that is average. They took some time and made it purty..
If I had brisket like that, I would hope that it was a 9.

Bentley
05-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I could not see how to make the box better. Meat was very appealing, 9!

butts a fire
05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I was between an 8 and 9 I went with a 9 for voting I really like the turn in and it made me want to try some.

jmbones
05-06-2008, 08:52 AM
I liked the look of your sliced pieces and parsley in the box. I think the "burnt ends" through off the symetry of the box and may be viewed by people outside your area as strange. You also risk the potential for the large chunks to be evaluated differently from slices. I would rely on slices, the moisture looked great, nice cuts, overall a good looking box. Jmbones

Caseyjoenz
05-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Nice work outta you! 9

Smokin Gator
05-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Very nice... I went with an 8. If more meat like that was in the box it would be a 9.

carlharper
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
That's a solid 9 on my scoresheet. Nice job!

big brother smoke
05-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Do not understand the 6s you received in the poll. Yall splain!

MilitantSquatter
05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I would give it a 7.

The garnish looks fantastics and overall presentation looks solid but I don't judge up for that. For the meat alone, I gave it a 7 as it looks a bit tough as the muscle fibers don't appear to be broken down. (based on the pictures).

Sawdustguy
05-07-2008, 02:28 AM
I would give it a 7.

The garnish looks fantastics and overall presentation looks solid but I don't judge up for that. For the meat alone, I gave it a 7 as it looks a bit tough as the muscle fibers don't appear to be broken down. (based on the pictures).

Muscle fibers???? Where are muscle fibers? The following brisket was slightly over cooked and looks very similar to the brisket the poster pictured. While not a great box it scored 2nd to Ique at last years Rock n Ribfest. I just don't see it Vinny. However, I commend you on judging the meat without being influenced by the garnish. Thats the way it should be judged and is the way I was taught at my CBJ class.

http://www.2fatpolocksbbq.com/gallery/cache/Rock%20n%20Ribfest%206-2007/700_P1010016.JPG

Dale P
05-07-2008, 04:36 AM
Nice. I voted 8.

Spydermike72
05-07-2008, 06:12 AM
On appearance alone, I gave it an 8. The meat looked moist and the box looked really good. I like the idea of putting both slices and burnt ends in the box for presentation purposes. Taste may be a different story, but we cant judge that yet.

In the infoamous words of the Brethren "I'd hit that"!!

MilitantSquatter
05-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Muscle fibers???? Where are muscle fibers? The following brisket was slightly over cooked and looks very similar to the brisket the poster pictured. While not a great box it scored 2nd to Ique at last years Rock n Ribfest. I just don't see it Vinny. However, I commend you on judging the meat without being influenced by the garnish. Thats the way it should be judged and is the way I was taught at my CBJ class.

Guy - What I mean is that when I look at a slice of brisket and determine if it "looks" appetizing, one of the things I consider is how tender/tough, moist/dry tough it "looks". Tom me, the brisket in question "looks" like it could have been cooked longer and may require a knife to break the meat apart rather than be able to pull it apart somewhat easily by hand or chew off a piece easily.

Two people can look at the same entry and see two totally different things. That's what makes competing in BBQ contests somewhat of a gamble.

You're 2nd place brisket looks good, but it's probable that the same brisket could have not placed as well at a different judges table.