PDA

View Full Version : Turning in trimmed chicken breast

River City Smokehouse
05-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Who does well in comps. turning in chicken breast that is trimmed to look like a thigh?
I did some up last comp but didn't have the Cojones' to turn them in. I stuck with thighs as I have for years. I'm not one that likes to test things out usually at a contest but I gotta say I'm really thinking about it hard here.

MilitantSquatter
05-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Have any pics ? Interesting idea...

Still, white meat is white meat and you still need to ensure it stays moist.

ique
05-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Who does well in comps. turning in chicken breast that is trimmed to look like a thigh?

I tried this at the Jack last year and thought the white meat came out great. I trimmed them like thighs, injected them and smoked slow and low to max internal of 160*. The judges hated my chicken entry but its hard to say how many of the judges sampled the white meat, they all could of taken the thighs as far as I know. I think its worth the try, if you can nail the flavor and moistness they should stand out from the candied thighs and I think thats a good thing. White meat is the four pieces down the center of the box....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/1911271100_9af50f061a.jpg

tony76248
05-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Chris, was your turn in box scored on appearance? It looks real good.

River City Smokehouse
05-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Have any pics ? Interesting idea...

Still, white meat is white meat and you still need to ensure it stays moist.
No pics, sorry. And that's pretty bad too considering my wife is a photographer. I asked her if she brought her camera.....NOPE! was the answer I got. The white meat was great, and very moist. I think it was worthy but we ate it instead and turned in the thighs. I'm a wuss.:rolleyes: