PDA

View Full Version : Turn in Boxes

buckinbbq
04-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey guys I have just finished up the BBQ and Blues Festival in Barnesville GA. I have posted up the turn in boxes and was really working hard on my presentation. Take a look and see what you think and if you have any constructive advise please say so. So here you guys go my first Pron

watertowerbbq
04-27-2008, 05:04 PM
?????

buckinbbq
04-27-2008, 05:06 PM
I missed the attachments last time I got it fixed

FlCracker
04-27-2008, 06:04 PM
lay ribs flat

Roo-B-Q'N
04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Who sanctioned?

FlCracker
04-27-2008, 06:25 PM
sanctioned by FBA

Solidkick
04-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Man....that's a lot of meat in the box......I'd have a heck of a learning curve trying to put together presentations in an FBA event

QDoc
04-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Looks like some meat without bones in the rib box. Is that allowed in FBA? It's a DQ in KCBS.

Bentley
04-27-2008, 10:20 PM
I know most people dont agree with me, but way to much meat in each box!

thenewguy
04-27-2008, 10:29 PM
What is FBA? Florida?
Looks like too much meat to me too.
Ribs always look better face up to me.
Are you allowed to sauce the meat?

buckinbbq
04-28-2008, 06:41 AM
It was FBA, Florida BBQ Assocaition. I did put a little sauce on the meat except the brisket. I was talking to a judge a while back and FBA wants the box full of meat, no plate showing, and no garnish.
I used BAby backs and they do not lay too good face up I will have to try that next time.

Bbq Bubba
04-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Never done FBA but i think you still have to pesent the meat, not give them a buffet.....
Try stacking your brisket across the box showing the slices. :biggrin:

Bigjim4x
04-28-2008, 08:55 AM
I agree with Bubba. You still need to present your meat in an appealing way. Take a look at some of the KCBS turn in photos on here and try to do something similar without the garnish. Also look up Smokin Crackers website I think he has some FBA turn in photos on there. He has done very well down there.

tony76248
04-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Brisket looks dry and the cuts are way uneven, have you been looking at the other turn-in boxes at this site? Ughhhhh.

Ribs are gonna look dry too real soon because of the way you set them in the box. It also looks like you tried to include every bit of the rib rack in that box, even the trimmings. A lot of that stuff should be tossed and not placed in the box.

The pork looks mushy but that might just be the photo.

I would have to agree with eveyone else that stated too much meat in each box.

Sorry for being so critical, but I am just trying to help you.

Now for the big question, how did you do?

Bigmista
04-28-2008, 09:46 AM
THe brisket in the top left looks like it was sliced with the grain. Seems like that would be chewy.

buckinbbq
04-29-2008, 06:36 AM
I was told not to leave any of the plate showing. I did try to find pictures of other turn in is where I got some of the ideas. I did put some pulled brisket in the plate. I am still learning on this competition stuff. All I know for sure is that is taste good at home. I do have to figure out what the judges want.

Bearbonez
04-29-2008, 10:18 AM
IBCA are no garnish. Try doing a search for turn in boxes for IBCA. Follow the standard, and just fill in the blanks to cover the bottom....ya want to show smoke ring, bark, etc, when box is open. Just make it neat and just so it covers the bottom. That is a ton of meat.

The_Kapn
04-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I agree with everything said above, with one major exception.
"Too much meat in the box".
FBA competition is a meat contest.
Put in as much as you wish above the minimums--with a couple of caveats.
1. It must be neat/attractive/appetizing/etc (if you want a good score).
2. The lid must close.

I am not encouraging a lot of meat and do not feel the volume affects the score.

Do what you feel is best for you while cooking in the FBA.

Good luck.

TIM

Bigjim4x
04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
IBCA are no garnish. Try doing a search for turn in boxes for IBCA. Follow the standard, and just fill in the blanks to cover the bottom....ya want to show smoke ring, bark, etc, when box is open. Just make it neat and just so it covers the bottom. That is a ton of meat.

The only problem with following IBCA boxes is that they tell you exactly how to place the meat in the box example is that they tell how many and where to place the ribs in the box and even what direction they need to go in. The best thing is to just try to reproduce some of the KCBS boxes you see on here without the garnish.

Rub
04-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I was told not to leave any of the plate showing. I did try to find pictures of other turn in is where I got some of the ideas. I did put some pulled brisket in the plate. I am still learning on this competition stuff. All I know for sure is that is taste good at home. I do have to figure out what the judges want.

I'm glad you came out and cooked with us buckinbbq, and I think it's always better to err on the side of too much meat rather than too little. This is all just my opinion as I've never judged, but here's my take on your boxes: Brisket - showcase your slices more while filling the box, but don't pack it. Yours looks packed, and some looks like it's with the grain, which is not good. Pork - not too bad, you've included some bark which is good. The middle pulled stuff looks a little flat and mushy like pork salad. See if you can give it more texture/more of a pulled look. Ribs - put in only ribs, and only your best and prettiest ribs. I usually put mine (spares) bone side down and arrange in rows. Give them a nice shiny glaze before turn in.

Like you said, you need to figure out what the judges want. Some guys don't grasp that concept and bang their heads for years. Good luck and keep working at it! :-D

striped pig
04-29-2008, 10:01 PM
I judge once in a while and cook FBA a few times. Rub has given you great advice, he just needs to show you some pics of his boxes:wink: Congrats on your first cook ...stan

buckinbbq
04-29-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm glad you came out and cooked with us buckinbbq, and I think it's always better to err on the side of too much meat rather than too little. This is all just my opinion as I've never judged, but here's my take on your boxes: Brisket - showcase your slices more while filling the box, but don't pack it. Yours looks packed, and some looks like it's with the grain, which is not good. Pork - not too bad, you've included some bark which is good. The middle pulled stuff looks a little flat and mushy like pork salad. See if you can give it more texture/more of a pulled look. Ribs - put in only ribs, and only your best and prettiest ribs. I usually put mine (spares) bone side down and arrange in rows. Give them a nice shiny glaze before turn in.

Like you said, you need to figure out what the judges want. Some guys don't grasp that concept and bang their heads for years. Good luck and keep working at it! :-D
I really appreciate the honesty here. I only enter one a year but may enter more soon. The pulled pork my son was helping me get it ready and by the time I noticed it was too late. I do agree that it was chopped way to much and I myself like a more pulled look. I also agree with striped pig. How about sharing some pics of your turn in boxes. What type of sauces do the judges like at the FBA deals? My wife and I have been bating that around the last couple of days. I like a vinegar, mustard based and she likes a sweet ketchup type based. I have been using what I like but it does not seem to impress the judges. Anyway thanks for all the input and honesty.

Rub
04-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't have any pics of my boxes, that's brought me bad luck in the past. :mad: I deleted them.

And in this case, going with your wife's idea will raise your scores noticeably :mrgreen:

buckinbbq
04-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I thought I would add my scores here as well
Ribs: Presentation 8.0; 9.0; 9.5; 8.0;8.0;10
Tenderness:8.5;9.0;10;8.0;8.5;9.5
Taste: 9.0;8.0;9.5;7.5;8.0;9.5 (I do not put much sauce at all on ribs)
Pulled Pork: 8.5;9.0;9.0;9.5;7.5;9.5
Tenderness: 9.5;8.0;9.5;8.5;7.5;8.5
Taste: 9.0;8.0;9.5;8.5;7.5;8.5
Brisket:
Presentation:9.5;10.0;9.5;10.0;8.5;9.5
Tenderness: 9.0;9.5;8.5;8.5;8.5;8.5
Taste: 8.5;9.0;8.5;7.5;7.5;8.5
I am guessing on taste I have to find the sauce they like and maybe even sauce my brisket.

buckinbbq
04-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks Rub score one for my wife.... She is already hard to live with...