PDA

View Full Version : Here goes nothing. 1st comp this weekend

CrimsonSmoke
04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
1st a big thanks to my bros that I have learned from over the last several months. Your words and teaching have me thinking I can finish middle of the pack or better. Been a wild week my asst. cook. kyle my son has been sick for 3 weeks but said he was going no matter what. luckily he is doing better just hoping he makes it through the weekend. I have made list. checked list packed unpacked and repacked. I think I got everything. Sorry for the blabbing I am nervous. Butt again thanks for everything you have posted because it has helped by 100%. I know no pics it did happen so there will be plenty. If any are close to Athens Al. stop me and say hi.

Ps. Kyle was in hospital last night and today. He made it real clear to the doctor the he would be out by Fri. am one way or another. He was not missing his cooking comp no matter what. Made my proud that he wanted to do this with me. But worried me to. Doc says he should have no problems making it.

Bbq Bubba
04-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Good luck and i hope your assistant is feeling better! :biggrin:

tony76248
04-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Good luck and above all, have fun.

Where is the cookoff and who is sanctioning it?

CrimsonSmoke
04-24-2008, 10:47 PM
It is in Athens Alabama KCBS. Best buckin BBQ cookoff

BBQ Grail
04-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Good luck.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey Crimson go out there with an open mind, don't over think things and whatever you do have fun. The fact you are doing this, and doing it with your son makes it that much more awesome. I have been doing this going into my 2nd full year and I can not tell you how much there is to learn. To me thats what makes this "hobby" that much more exciting, every contest is something new. They are never the same. Go out and take some pictures to share, take some notes, and by all means have fun and meet some new people. Jump back on here saturday night or sunday morning and let everyone know how it was. Good lucj have fun and can't wait to read how it was.

Solidkick
04-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Clean cuts.......good symmetry of product in the box......stand back and take a look.....a quick spritz before you close the lid......and HAVE FUN!

Good luck this weekend!

Irrad8
04-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Good luck! Have fun, and don't forget to have fun.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Clean cuts.......good symmetry of product in the box......stand back and take a look.....a quick spritz before you close the lid......and HAVE FUN!

Good luck this weekend!

Kick I like that advice. You hit all the key points in a few shorts sentences!

Jeff_in_KC
04-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Best of luck! Just relax and do your thing! There's nothing at all to be nervous about. Once I realized it's just BBQ and I wasn't trying to save the world or win the World Series or anything, I started doing much better. Also, make yourself a schedule and stick to it. Allow yourself time to socialize, get to know people and learn what you can while you're there. Finally, remember you aren't having your BBQ compared to that of other teams. Judges will score your entry based on it's own merits. Just do it right like you know how to do it and you'll come out fine! You're a Brethren! You know what to do! Go do it!

backporchbbq
04-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Good luck. If you have any questions along the way, just ask some of your neighbors. I ask questions all the time at comps, and have had no problem getting some help. Have fun, they are a blast.

ZBQ
04-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Good advice above.

Good luck and most of all.........have fun.

Dr_KY
04-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Best of luck! Just relax and do your thing! There's nothing at all to be nervous about. Once I realized it's just BBQ and I wasn't trying to save the world or win the World Series or anything, I started doing much better. Also, make yourself a schedule and stick to it. Allow yourself time to socialize, get to know people and learn what you can while you're there. Finally, remember you aren't having your BBQ compared to that of other teams. Judges will score your entry based on it's own merits. Just do it right like you know how to do it and you'll come out fine! You're a Brethren! You know what to do! Go do it!
As easy as it sounds I have trouble remembering just those things. I'm going to print it out on a cue card and keep it in my apron posket. :grin:

Smokin Gator
04-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Best of luck brother!!!

rookiedad
04-25-2008, 08:57 AM
hope Kyle is doing great! enjoy it! have fun. stay on schedule. have a runner. fill the box!
enjoy.

Cue's Your Daddy
04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Kyle exemplifies the true meaning of passion for BBQ. Thats awesome. Good luck. Doesnt matter where u finish. I am 32 and still love competing with my dad.

Roo-B-Q'N
04-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Good luck this weekend. Hope Kyle is feeling better. Remember we are all pulling for you.

watg?
04-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Good luck and have fun!

Westexbbq
04-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Good luck, Wesley; y'all will do fine.
Sounds like Kyle is a real trooper, hope he feels better fast.
Try to relax a bit, have fun, enjoy and everything will come together in due time.

big brother smoke
04-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Good luck and listen to the brothers, especially coach Kick and coach Jeff, they have given you excellent advice.

smoke-n-my-i's
04-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Oh yeah... the first comp. I remember it like it was just last week.

You will do fine. Just do the best you can, have fun, and be sure and just enjoy it. You will learn a LOT, so take the time to really enjoy it. Be sure and talk to the other teams, introduce yourself, let them know this is your first, and I am sure if you need any help, someone will be there to help you out.....

And you better let us know how it went.... :biggrin:

Bentley
04-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Hey Crimson go out there with an open mind, don't over think things

Great advice!

If you are a drinking man, pace yourself! That can fark up a good contest, take my word for it! :eusa_clap

Coz
04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Good luck!I am doing a full practice tonite and tomorrow so I will be with all you guys competing this weekend.

Jeff_in_KC
04-27-2008, 10:30 PM
OK Crimson... did I miss it?? How did you do? What happened?

smoke-n-my-i's
04-28-2008, 10:00 AM
OK Crimson... did I miss it?? How did you do? What happened?

You didn't miss it... we did.... :biggrin:

big brother smoke
04-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Inquiring minds want to know!

Crimson probably still sleeping (tired mod)

CrimsonSmoke
04-28-2008, 06:44 PM
You got it big brother. This old man dont run like I use to on 4 hours sleep. I will post full update later tonite.

CrimsonSmoke
04-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Well the 1st one is under the belt thank god. It was a learning experience to say the least. I read and reread the threads on 1st time mistakes and what to do and not do. I still ending up doing things wrong. The two biggest things was not having a written out plan and timing. This was only backyard I hate to think how bad it would have been for pro.
I thought I had it all down no need to write it down. When the time came to cook I went into stupid mode or something I guess. I over cooked the chicken and undercooked the ribs. We finished 34 out of 38 overall. 27th in chicken and DAL in ribs. Also learned that I really do need more than 4 hours sleep in a camp chair.

On the plus side of things we met some really great folks, made a lot of new friends. Even met a brethren QN. Picked up a lot of pointers and had fun. Canít wait to do it again and redeem us from the hellish 1st event.

Here some pics
My site
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x177/woodyal/S7300051.jpg

Kyle eating
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x177/woodyal/S7300052.jpg

Got to meet Mike and Debbie (lottaBull) really nice people.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x177/woodyal/S7300057.jpg

other stuff
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x177/woodyal/S7300060.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x177/woodyal/S7300061.jpg

big blue bbq
04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Good Luck! Enjoy, learn, take pictures.

Ron_L
04-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Sorry your results weren't better, but it sounds like you and Kyle had a good time. Just take what you learned and get better next time!

BTW, anyone would need more than four hours sleep in a camp chair :-D

CTSmokehouse
04-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Looks like you were up against some very good competition. For our first comp., we were happy just to have the experience. Focus on the positives. See where your deficiences were and work on those. Welcome to Comp. BBQ. It only gets better...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Jeff_in_KC
04-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Congratulations!!! You SURVIVED! You got rid of the first contest jitters. You made new friends. You spent quality time with your son. You had fun, right? Most importantly, you learned stuff. Poohbah always told me that it takes five to six contests before things really just start to "click". Get back on that horse and make your improvements for next time!

Just Pulin' Pork
04-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Crimson I am glad you guys had fun that is what its all about. I think your officially hooked. Thanks for the pics and the info on the competition.

thenewguy
04-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Congrats! Now when's the next one? It's pretty addicting ain't it?

backporchbbq
04-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Hey you did not come in dead last. That is good. The first comp I did I got second place chicken, and dead last in everything else. We are still improving and hoping for a better season this year. Having said that, I go out to meet people and have a good time. If I cook good and have a call out or improve my scores GREAT, if not then as long as I had fun that is all I care about.

Smokin Gator
04-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the update... I'm glad you got through it and it sounds like you have some ideas for making it better. Writing down a timeline is a definite.

Isn't that cooker that Lotta Bull has gorgeous?

smoke-n-my-i's
04-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Learn from your mistakes.... you did good... you didn't come last, and you survived....

Now while it is somewhat fresh on your mind, start them notes... the things you learned and the things not to do next time.

Sounds just like me the first time out.... I even was watching the team next to me to get hints on when to fire up the cooker, etc..... talk about the lost everything in the mind mod.....

BTW, nice looking CG in the background. I use two of them. They will do you good, but give yourself some extra time. I just took 1st place in ribs on Saturday with mine.... :razz: It can be done....:biggrin:

big brother smoke
04-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the update, Crimson! Congrats on your first contest, it is very addicting! :shock::biggrin: