PDA

View Full Version : Help Rating Box #3

AzQer
04-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Here was our Brisket Turn in
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee257/AzQer/Saddle%20Sore%20Apr%2018%20and%2019/Picture052.jpg
Any and all comments Please

Transformer BBQ
04-23-2008, 01:39 PM
I like the greens in this box better than the others. If you are going to mix types of greens... have some sort of a layout planned. I think the parsely looks out of place int he other boxes.

My honest thoughts on this box... first is "What is all that chunky stuff"... could be the picture, but the goopy sauce or rub... looks off to me.

Pictures are funny sometimes, lighting, angle... can be hard to look at boxes online sometimes and get an accurate read. And its easier tok point out places to improve than what someone did correctly at times.

"I can't define it, but I know it when I see it"

Also, with Brisket, fill up that box, sometimes its 6 slices, sometimes its 10.

Jorge
04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
What's that smeared on the brisket? If it's for flavor, hide it on the back side. You have to go with what you have for the box. I'd have placed a little more lettuce under the meat to raise it up a bit more so that it was more visible in a perfect world. Some of the lettuce has seen better days, but you have to go with what you have available. I'd try to trim the brisket up a bit more to get rid of the fat.

mds2
04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
With this box i would have to say that you need to be more careful when handling the slices. The have smudges on them that really dont look good. And yeah, what is the chunky stuff?

Scottie
04-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Clean the knife after each slice to keep the slices clean looking....

eurycea
04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
I'd put more slices in the box to fill it up. I'd also let the slices overlap more so you only see the tops of slices 2-6.

Bigmista
04-23-2008, 08:25 PM
If the slices are supposed to be sauced, you need more of it. If not, then what are all of those smears?

Bentley
04-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Sauce is messy, it's a 7.

Jeff_in_KC
04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Looks kind of dry to me in places. And you have to fill the box! Don't be stingy with the Q!

Roo-B-Q'N
04-24-2008, 10:03 AM
7 here as well. Again try an electric knive. Or sharpen your blade. the chunks kept me from giving an 8 smooth it out and uniformly sauce the meat.

tony76248
04-24-2008, 10:38 PM
I noticed those cheap plastic loose fitting gloves in the picture, those are very awkward to work with. Get some tighter fitting gloves those kind actually stick to the meat which might be the reason for your smeared brisket. Also get a portable mister or spray bottle and add apple juice or beef broth to it and spray on the brisket before adding it to the box so it will have a nice moist appearance. They might actually be moist but the picture makes the slices appear dry.

All that said, I am happy to be cooking in IBCA. No greens.

butts a fire
04-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I would give this box a 7. I like the layout and the framing of lettuce looks good. There are two things that I would do to improve the score put more lettuse underneath the Brisket to raise it up and make it the focus and make sure the pieces look clean to me they looked a little messy.

Professor Salt
04-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Just guessing, but the chunks look like nubbins of fat cap to me. Is that what it is?

big brother smoke
04-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Just guessing, but the chunks look like nubbins of fat cap to me. Is that what it is?

What the fark is nubbins, Professor? :biggrin: