PDA

View Full Version : Help Rating Box #2

AzQer
04-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Here was our turn in for pulled pork
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee257/AzQer/Saddle%20Sore%20Apr%2018%20and%2019/Picture049.jpg
Any and all comments please

Scottie
04-23-2008, 01:36 PM
More meat, less green. Otherwise you are tright on. Fill up that box with meat... Maybe a spritz of something at the end to keep it moist looking?

Jorge
04-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Best looking box of the three.

eurycea
04-23-2008, 06:25 PM
The box looks good. However when I've judged I've found that pork entries that have 6 scoops tend to be drier and colder. I'd consider putting it all in one big pile.

MilitantSquatter
04-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Could that box potentially be considered "sculpted" ?

I like it overall. It's a nice box and I'd give it an 8 (but the semi-packed meat balls reminds me of a can of tuna or cat food).

Bigmista
04-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I like the design. I would use more meat and less parsley.

watertowerbbq
04-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Could that box potentially be considered "sculpted" ?

It is permitted to provide 6 scoops (ice cream scoop) of pulled pork in a turn in box.

Bentley
04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
I looked at that box and said I do not know how you would make that better! That is excellent=9

Bentley
04-23-2008, 09:33 PM
More meat, less green. Otherwise you are tright on. Fill up that box with meat... Maybe a spritz of something at the end to keep it moist looking?

I just do not get this thinking...

Jeff_in_KC
04-23-2008, 09:39 PM
I just do not get this thinking...

Simple really... full boxes score better. And you want the meat looking moist.

Roo-B-Q'N
04-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I would have given an 8, but I am sure that the judges asked the rep if that was sculpted.

Bentley
04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Simple really... full boxes score better.

Not when I am judging! It is not a factor in my decision.

Scottie
04-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Not that I want to give away my whole philosophy of a turn-in box. But it's a meat contest. That is why I like a lot of meat in a box as well. Have the meat standing up in the box and not hidden behind a lot of green. If you have big green edges like that, have them in the background and not where the green is even with the meat. The green takes away from the meat. Plain and simple.

ZBQ
04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I would have given an 8, but I am sure that the judges asked the rep if that was sculpted.

I would give it an 8 or 9.

It's posible that some would question if it was "sculpted" but my mind would just think "6 identifiable pieces" and nothing more.

I see it as making it easy for the judges to get a nice portion and easy to get out of the box and onto the plate. When I table captained I saw and instance where a judge was trying to get a sample out of a box of PP and a small piece falls off because it is difficult to get hold of and lands on a different entry spot on the plate. Thankfully there was nothing on that spot yet and he wiped it clean.

I personally like the idea, but, is it too "outside the box" to where some might get there panties in a wad about it? Who knows?

ZBQ
04-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Not that I want to give away my whole philosophy of a turn-in box. But it's a meat contest. That is why I like a lot of meat in a box as well. Have the meat standing up in the box and not hidden behind a lot of green. If you have big green edges like that, have them in the background and not where the green is even with the meat. The green takes away from the meat. Plain and simple.

I see your point Scottie. Maybe build up the lettuce under the center so it doesn't look "sunk in" and a little less green around the outside would showcase the meat better. Good point.

Bentley
04-24-2008, 03:23 PM
The green takes away from the meat. Plain and simple.

Again, I understand what your saying, just dont agree with it from a judges stand point.

There must be 2 lbs of meat in there when is enough...

Scottie
04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Exactly. Let it stand on it's own. Show it proud to the judges...

Bentley
04-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Exactly. Let it stand on it's own. Show it proud to the judges...

That would be great if KCBS contests were just "meat" contests but they aren't. If they were we would not have to deal with apperance!

Scottie
04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah, if they were, then it would be the IBCA. But that is part of KCBS competitons, so we are to make our meat look as appealing as we can. That includes making the greens look good too.

Jeff_in_KC
04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Again, I understand what your saying, just dont agree with it from a judges stand point.

There must be 2 lbs of meat in there when is enough...

If I can get THREE pounds of meat in there, I'm doing it. Don't know how they score out on the left coast but around here, when I started filling the hell outta boxes, my scores went up a LOT. Maybe we're bigger eaters out this way than in health conscious areas out west but more definitely IS better around where we compete.

tony76248
04-24-2008, 10:22 PM
That is another reason why IBCA is growing. None of those silly veggie boxes..... I agree with Scotty, it's a meat competition.

butts a fire
04-24-2008, 11:03 PM
As before I have not read anybody elses comments before making mine. I would give that box a 6 maybe 7 in person since things normally look better when you see them live. The reason is that I think the lettuce and Parsley are over powering and a couple of the mounds of pork look like boobs.

I prefer one mound to several small ones for apprearance, I do like the bark that you put in the box and think that the pork has a good color.