PDA

View Full Version : Presentation Box?

Lemon Lime
04-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Being new to competition and reading the KCBS rules, how important is the presentation of your turn-in box?

Are the judges really looking at the lettuce and the box? I can understand the appearance of the meat but is the layout of the greens that important?

Of course we will be doing a layout on a bed of lettuce but I want to make sure we're not missing something here.

Is there a thread out there I can read more about this?

Lemon Lime :-D

stlgreg
04-20-2008, 09:27 PM
I will give you a two pronged answer
1) well in the number sense it is not that important. Appearance has the lowest weight in the final tablulations.
2) People taste with their eyes. You can better believe a good presentation will help your taste and tendrness scores

The best you can do is really look at other pictures on the internet.
You can also do some serching in this subforum and find some really good presentation information.

Ron_L
04-20-2008, 11:51 PM
While it is the lowest weighted, they all count! Why take a chance and give away points? Look at examples of boxes and their scores and practice yours until you feel that they are the best they can be.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-21-2008, 12:36 AM
While it is the lowest weighted, they all count! Why take a chance and give away points? Look at examples of boxes and their scores and practice yours until you feel that they are the best they can be.

Exactly what Ron said. One more thing if you are not a judge, become one. It really gives you a chance to see what people turn in and you can make an assesment for yourself.

ZBQ
04-21-2008, 06:19 AM
An old culinary arts teacher once told me

We eat with our eyes 1st, our nose 2nd and our tounge last.

Like the other guys said, check out some of the other threads.

Yes, it does matter.

If it looks sloppy or too much green in proportion to meat or asymetrical etc. it can cost you in appearance points.

Think of your meat as a priceless piece of art.
You want to showcase your meat.
Kinda like a picture frame.

Hope that helps

watg?
04-21-2008, 06:59 AM
I have written an entry in my blog about turn in boxes, there might be something there you can use.
http://thenewguys.blogspot.com/2008/02/bbq-turn-in-box.html

butts a fire
04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Kind of in the same line as the people before me Appearance is important but it is not the most important thing.

You want to make it look nice and it definitely needs to be within the rules but it is not something to stress over as a first year team you will want to focus on the meat first and the appearance second.

Also there are a ton of pics on here of entry boxes I like to look at them and get ideas.

Podge
04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Keep everything symmetrical, and spend time on making it look nice and moist. Make it look like someone with a lot of experience did it, and you'll be judged accordingly. Practice a lot at home, maybe take a pic or two to let people here critique it, and be ready to accept constructive critisim. Appearance is under-rated sometimes. but people eat with their eyes.

if it's just thrown together, and if no care was put into the presentation, i'd just assumed a backyarder did it, and would think that this entry wouldn't taste near as good as some others. I'd judge it right off the bat,... but then again, i'm not a judge and it's a good thing i'm not.

I spend extra time perfecting my turn-in box before it goes up. even when i turn in sh$t food, i think the presentation sometimes helps me a lot.

Scottie
04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Absolutely. A contest can be won or lost because of an appearance point...

Lemon Lime
04-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I have written an entry in my blog about turn in boxes, there might be something there you can use.
http://thenewguys.blogspot.com/2008/02/bbq-turn-in-box.html

Thanks to all for the advice and will take heed!

WATG, I have to compliment you on your website. I'm still laughing about the c*****n intervention. Fun read!:lol:

Sawdustguy
04-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Go for every point you can. Thats how contests are won, not that we know much about that.

watg?
04-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks to all for the advice and will take heed!

WATG, I have to compliment you on your website. I'm still laughing about the c*****n intervention. Fun read!:lol:

Thanks glad you enjoyed it!:-D