PDA

View Full Version : Good log books

CrimsonSmoke
04-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I have searched and not found any links to good log books. anybody got any they willing to share.

Put up countdown clock on pc for 1st comp. Man one minute I fell good about things then a day counts down and fell nervous. Cook and think it's comp grade then 30 min later a doubt myself. Did any of you pros go through this on your first few comps.

watertowerbbq
04-12-2008, 08:57 AM
I've only done a couple of cooks and I know what you are talking about. Some people like to write down everything they do (time, temp, air temp, number of briquettes, etc), but I'm not one of them.

What works for me is practice, practice, practice. I've got a pretty good handle on how long my ribs and butts take and I'm working on my brisket times.

My advice is stick to your game plan. Don't be influenced too much by what the other teams are doing with respect to when they start their meat and when you start yours. The other thing is cook to what you like and in most cases, the judges will like it too. With that said, you should cater a little to what the judges expect. Around here that means, thighs with lots of sweet sauce and pork that is sauced.

It's ok to be nervous, but remember to have fun! :-D:-D

WannaBeBBQueen
04-12-2008, 09:01 AM
I've only done a couple of cooks and I know what you are talking about. Some people like to write down everything they do (time, temp, air temp, number of briquettes, etc), but I'm not one of them.

What works for me is practice, practice, practice. I've got a pretty good handle on how long my ribs and butts take and I'm working on my brisket times.

My advice is stick to your game plan. Don't be influenced too much by what the other teams are doing with respect to when they start their meat and when you start yours. The other thing is cook to what you like and in most cases, the judges will like it too. With that said, you should cater a little to what the judges expect. Around here that means, thighs with lots of sweet sauce and pork that is sauced.

It's ok to be nervous, but remember to have fun! :-D:-D

What he said...lol, I gave up on logs, we just know:mrgreen: and we've only done a few comps.

Most important...HAVE FUN!!

Smitty
04-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Here is a good link if you have a WSM but it can be modified to fit want you need if you get the excel version.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cookinglog.html

Smitty
Hootchie Coothcie BBQ
3WSM
2 Briinkman
Kettle

Roo-B-Q'N
04-13-2008, 02:37 PM
I have one I made using our team logo, but have only used it here and there. Now that I am getting used to the Spicewine, I will pull it out again just to see how things went from cook to cook. Once we figure it out we will put it away.

Just get a notebook and use that.

Jeff_in_KC
04-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I tried to keep log books but never remembered to write stuff down so they're just wasted stuff to carry along for me. Like Julie said, we just kinda know.

DawgPhan
04-14-2008, 08:55 AM
How about just grabbing a legal pad and be done with it. I did a full comp practice this weekend and just left the pad on the counter at the house...every time I did something I wrote it down..of course I did manage to over sleep with a new alarm clock and over cooked my brisket a little....just like a real comp.

Bigjim4x
04-14-2008, 10:23 AM
My advice is a little different than most on here so far. We keep a detailed record of everything we do. I know for a fact that it has made me a better cook. It's amazing how you can get offtrack after a bunch of cook-off's. You tweak a little here and there and over time you an get pretty far away from something that was working for you. Also it allows you to go back and repeat something over and over again. After 10 or 15 contest you would be amazed at how what you did here or there will all run together. we make a schedule on excel and then take note at a contest of any deviation then we go back and record that so we have a record of what was planed and what we actually did.

DawgPhan
04-14-2008, 12:00 PM
I also have another tip towards consistency...I am trying to get away from seasoning on the fly that I normally do at a contest...certainly you want to be able to make some adjustments, but all my sauces get made at home and put into a mason jar and labeled. So if I use a sauce on my ribs during cooking and another during boxing I make them both at home and label them...stops me from pouring stuff into a solo cup @ 5 minutes till turn in and playing around.