View Full Version : Ed Roith Judging Class Transcript

Sledneck
04-11-2008, 11:41 AM
http://old.cbbqa.org/judging/EdRoithCBJClass.html

Bentley
04-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Wow, on our web site and never seen it!

Six identifiable pieces

We require that the cook puts in - and this is something to keep track of, because this is part of the judging procedure - we require that the cook puts into the container a minimum of six identifiable pieces of meat.

[0:07:29] Now that doesn't mean that four of them can be underneath something and two showing on top, or vice versa. You have to look at that container, and there has to be six.

So people that stack ribs or anything else, you need to make sure 6 are showing! Wonder how many KCBS reps even know this?

Or am I missing the point here?

Porky
04-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for posting that Steve. That was a great article, especially for someone like me. I have yet to take the judging class but after reading this I certainly gained some knowledge on what to expect.

Roo-B-Q'N
04-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Wow, on our web site and never seen it!

Six identifiable pieces

We require that the cook puts in - and this is something to keep track of, because this is part of the judging procedure - we require that the cook puts into the container a minimum of six identifiable pieces of meat.

[0:07:29] Now that doesn't mean that four of them can be underneath something and two showing on top, or vice versa. You have to look at that container, and there has to be six.

So people that stack ribs or anything else, you need to make sure 6 are showing! Wonder how many KCBS reps even know this?

Or am I missing the point here?

When it comes to chicken, ribs and brisket to a point, yes you do wantg to see 6 identifiable pieces. For pork, as long as it looks like enough pulled or chopped to cover six people you are good.

Now that being said, if the box is passed and it looked like six pieces, and the last judge doesn't get a sample either due to two pieces not being sliced all the way or just not enough pieces, then you start looking at 0's on the score card.

eurycea
04-11-2008, 06:13 PM

I'd hope all of them. It's a pretty standard rule. Anytime I've judged a box where you couldn't see 6 pieces the reps have always come back to the table and checked to see if all the judges got a sample or if it really was short.

Stoke&Smoke
04-12-2008, 10:40 AM
I thought this was a great read as well. BUT...some of the rules have changed since this was done. The article states that flat leaf parsley and cilantro are illegal. I don't know for sure if that ever was true, but it isn't true now. Rule 9 of the official KCBS rules states

9. Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped, sliced,
shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley,
flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro.

Kale, endive, red tipped lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are prohibited. (Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1) on
Appearance)

LindaM
04-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Many of the rules have changed since 2002 when that was printed. I highly suggest you take a CBJ class, and if you are already a CBJ you have the right to sit in a class at no charge. You would be surprised how cooker friendly we reps really are. Never bending the rules but certainly siding for the cook if their is a question.