PDA

View Full Version : Osage City, Kansas (April 11-12, 2008)

Jeff_in_KC
04-06-2008, 07:12 PM
The site has teams on it... just wanted to start up the thread because now that our event here in Pleasant Hill is over, I'm looking forward to our first event of the year! We're re-arranging the team for this one as my wife can't be there. Me, Stan and Que'inKC (Jeff) and we're waiting to hear from a fourth to see if he can go.

Plan to be there no later than 10 AM Friday! Look forward to seeing some of you there!

Steph, are you guys doing a potluck again like you did here? We'd be glad to bring something. Let me know.

smknwhlswife
04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
We will be there Thursday evening. See you there!

Que'inKC
04-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh man...I can't wait for this one...This is going to be one LONG week!!!

Thanks so much to Jeff for inviting me along...It will be a lot of fun!!!

Just Pulin' Pork
04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Jeff good luck to you guys.Wish I could compete in this one but the others I cook with will not let me compete every weekend :)

matthew burt
04-06-2008, 09:04 PM
my wife will be with me for this one(Grandma and Grandpa wanted the little one for the weekend) So stop by for a cocktail. We plan on being their by 10:00 as well.

QansasjayhawQ
04-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I'll be there cooking with Todd for HawgsNHeifers - looking forward to meeting a few more of the brethren . . .

clubjoe
04-06-2008, 11:07 PM
R Butts R Smokin will be there. Jeff it looks like we'll be right across from each other. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

HoDeDo
04-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Plan to be there no later than 10 AM Friday! Look forward to seeing some of you there!

Steph, are you guys doing a potluck again like you did here? We'd be glad to bring something. Let me know.

Back to back is tough on the Potlucks, even for the slabs :wink: - I think us or bare bones are going to be hosting... since we are next to each other it should be easy to find. :mrgreen:

Oh man...I can't wait for this one...This is going to be one LONG week!!! Thanks so much to Jeff for inviting me along...It will be a lot of fun!!! Stith really likes Cabo for his only drink on Friday evenings - bring plenty for him 8-) <stool chicken mod.>

my wife will be with me for this one(Grandma and Grandpa wanted the little one for the weekend) So stop by for a cocktail. We plan on being their by 10:00 as well.

Stop on by and see us too.... lots o' kids running around, and loud music.... and the Gator -- we are easy to spot!!!

stan
04-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Man I am looking forward to this weekend. I will be getting their late Friday. See everyone there!

Jeff_in_KC
04-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Stith really likes Cabo for his only drink on Friday evenings - bring plenty for him 8-) <stool chicken mod.>

Oh no, Andy... if it was the ONLY drink I enjoy on Friday nights, I would have been fine to do chicken... it was the fact I also chose beer, hurricanes and whiskey straight from the bottle that got me. Gonna take it easy each and every contest this year.

HoDeDo
04-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Oh no, Andy... if it was the ONLY drink I enjoy on Friday nights, I would have been fine to do chicken... it was the fact I also chose beer, hurricanes and whiskey straight from the bottle that got me. Gonna take it easy each and every contest this year.

My money is on the idea... that you would still be hosed (or is that Jose-d)... even if you "only" drank that Cabo.... now the hurricanes did help clear the way for you! Maybe Steph will make a batch for us. (I think Jeanie gave you the Steph famous Hurricanes)

Paola Greg
04-07-2008, 07:55 AM
We'll be there mid morning Friday and look forward to seeing everybody.

Diva
04-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I happen to have some Hurricanes on the ready. I'll bring 'em. Before Bare Bones offered to host the potluck, Kyle was ready to host it again. We had a blast in P Hill and the food Friday night was phenomenal! Looking forward to this weekend! I'll also bring the Gasolina rum pouches that I brought back from Puerto Rico. I had them iced up at P Hill and the only one that drank one was Quau.

Jeff_in_KC
04-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Before Bare Bones offered to host the potluck, Kyle was ready to host it again. We had a blast in P Hill and the food Friday night was phenomenal! Looking forward to this weekend!

Well someone let us know what to bring and we'll contribute!

I'll also bring the Gasolina rum pouches that I brought back from Puerto Rico. I had them iced up at P Hill and the only one that drank one was Quau.

See what you did? I drank your Hurricanes last year and couldn't do squat at Warrensburg! Woz drinks your mixture and doesn't get a call at P Hill! You're pure EVIL, Steph! :lol:

Puppyboy
04-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Can't wait for this weekend. We will be on the south side of the locker rooms. Real close to Jeff in KC & MokanMeatheads.

We plan on setting up on Friday morning as well.

Sounds like we are gonna have a pretty good Brethren turn out.

For you guys coming in Thursday, let me know & I'll come down with a few beers.

matthew burt
04-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I will have Gentleman Jack Saturday Morning For everyone that is interested.

Jeff_in_KC
04-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Someone refresh my memory from two years ago... are there shower facilities here we can use?

stan
04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I believe on the website it says they do have showers. If it gets cold like they are talking mayneed that to thaw out.

QansasjayhawQ
04-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Someone refresh my memory from two years ago... are there shower facilities here we can use?
Yes - there are showers and your spot is just about right on top of them. The steam from the showers may keep your site warm . . . LOL!

Todd and I got up too late to use the showers last year . . . it was time to start the chicken about 15 minutes before we got up. :rolleyes:

Since this would be my first brethren pot luck, what would be a good thing to bring? Do we typically lack deserts (hard to imagine that) or salads or what? Fatties? :wink: I have a jar of koolickles in the fridge.

Jeff_in_KC
04-07-2008, 08:33 PM
For you guys coming in Thursday, let me know & I'll come down with a few beers.

Can't make it down Thursday evening so save mine for Friday please! :twisted:

QansasjayhawQ
04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I have a couple of questions if someone could answer them . . .

1) I see seven Brethren teams on this list of teams at Osage City this weekend (http://www.smokeinthespring.com/teams.php).
Smoke On Wheels
Hawgs N Heifers Smoke Shack BBQ
Ribs 4 U
TheSlabs.com
Big Creek BBQ
MoKan Meatheads
Barkin Dawgs BBQAre there any I'm missing that are Brethren here?

2) I don't normally take things personally.
Should I take the lack of response to my question above as a sign that I should not participate in the pot luck dinner? Or that people get tired of reading my posts? Or that I forgot to put on deodorant or brush my teeth before I posted it? Or is everyone else just jealous that they don't have a hometown college basketball team that just won a national championship?

Inquiring minds want to know . . .

:grin:

clubjoe
04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
My team R Butts R Smokin will be there.

Jeff_in_KC
04-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Qansas, it isn't a Brethren thing. I think actually, it's more started from another forum.

QansasjayhawQ
04-08-2008, 10:28 PM
My team R Butts R Smokin will be there.
That's awesome! I'll look forward to meeting you there.

I'm making a list of the Brethren teams to take with me so I can be sure I get around to meeting everyone.

QansasjayhawQ
04-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Qansas, it isn't a Brethren thing. I think actually, it's more started from another forum.
LOL! That would explain it, wouldn't it? :redface:

Oh well! Sorry 'bout that! :-D

(wait - what do you mean 'another forum'? is there another BBQ forum out there?)

scottyd
04-09-2008, 08:33 AM
I hear that Parrothead Smokers out of Dakota Dunes is coming. and will be gunning for a 3 peat for the Grand. John says he got the MOJO!

My self I think he is full of it. but good luck to him and all that are going.

Puppyboy
04-09-2008, 10:12 AM
I hear that Parrothead Smokers out of Dakota Dunes is coming. and will be gunning for a 3 peat for the Grand. John says he got the MOJO! ...Yup, yup, yup, they will be here. I know there will be plenty of Brethren teams doing their best to prevent the 3peat.

http://www.smokeinthespring.com/hallofhonor.php

QansasjayhawQ
04-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I hear that Parrothead Smokers out of Dakota Dunes is coming. and will be gunning for a 3 peat for the Grand. John says he got the MOJO!

My self I think he is full of it. but good luck to him and all that are going.
I couldn't tell if Parrothead Smokers was the same person as our parrothead.

They are, aren't they?

Bigdog
04-09-2008, 10:46 AM

They are, aren't they?

Nope.

QansasjayhawQ
04-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Nope.
So . . . Parrothead Smokers out of Dakota Dunes, SD are NOT considered a 'Brethren' team?

Thanks!

Puppyboy
04-09-2008, 11:00 AM
You coming up this weekend Bigdog?

The Pickled Pig
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
The Pickled Pig will be there.

Hopefully MoKan will bring my cardboard girlfriend for company. She's purty!

Bigdog
04-09-2008, 05:40 PM
So . . . Parrothead Smokers out of Dakota Dunes, SD are NOT considered a 'Brethren' team?

Thanks!
Not that I am aware of. Greg, our Parrothead, lives near Chicago and owns Coal City Speciality Foods.
You coming up this weekend Bigdog?

Not likely. Too much crap going on here. Thanks for asking.

KC_Bobby
04-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Good luck to all - take your stocking caps, boots and umbrellas.

KC_Bobby
04-09-2008, 05:57 PM
The Pickled Pig will be there.

Hopefully MoKan will bring my cardboard girlfriend for company. She's purty!

See if you can't trim that money muscle off her butt.

QansasjayhawQ
04-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Good luck to all - take your stocking caps, boots and umbrellas.
It just so happens that I have a brand new pair of long underwear this year!

Might need the poncho too!

QansasjayhawQ
04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
So now the list of Brethren teams looks like this:

Smoke On Wheels
Hawgs N Heifers Smoke Shack BBQ
Ribs 4 U
TheSlabs.com
Big Creek BBQ
MoKan Meatheads
Barkin Dawgs BBQ
R Butts R Smokin
The Pickled PigThat's almost one out of every five teams.

QansasjayhawQ
04-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Too much crap going on here. Thanks for asking.
I'm sorry to hear that . . . I hope things turn less crappy for you real soon. It was nice to meet you in person last year.

scottyd
04-09-2008, 09:27 PM

They are, aren't they?

No not the same \, Parrothead Smokers is from Dakota Dunes South Dakota.

Bigdog
04-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry to hear that . . . I hope things turn less crappy for you real soon. It was nice to meet you in person last year.

There will always be other years. My son is having his first home visit this weekend, so it may be a good weekend after all.

HoDeDo
04-09-2008, 10:06 PM
There will always be other years. My son is having his first home visit this weekend, so it may be a good weekend after all.

Thats great to hear. Sounds like things have started to trend better since Todd and I were down that way. You'll be in our prayers - hopefully this weekend becomes the first of many building blocks to come...

Bigdog
04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Thats great to hear. Sounds like things have started to trend better since Todd and I were down that way. You'll be in our prayers - hopefully this weekend becomes the first of many building blocks to come...

Thanks Andy, and you're right.

Puppyboy
04-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Good luck to all - take your stocking caps, boots and umbrellas.That was last year. Anything better then that would be great.

It just so happens that I have a brand new pair of long underwear this year!

Might need the poncho too!Good idea.

Sounds like maybe some rain Friday morning and clear skys for the rest of the weekend.

HoDeDo
04-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Sounds like a couple inches on Thursday night, and the possibility of Tornados... Where is the closest shelter for those of us getting in on Thursday night?

Puppyboy
04-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Not sure where the best place would be to go in the park. Maybe the building at the pool. I live across town and have a basement if its needed. I'll shoot Corey an e-mail and let you know.

The Pickled Pig
04-10-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm not familiar with Osage City. I'll be coming in on 31. How do I get to the park?

Puppyboy
04-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Stay on K-31 and follow the two curves through town. When you get to the Pizza Hut turn south (left) on 1st Street. It takes you right to the entrance. There should be signs set up.

The Pickled Pig
04-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Does anyoe know what the presentation rules are on the cook's choice and dessert categories?

The Pickled Pig
04-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Stay on K-31 and follow the two curves through town. When you get to the Pizza Hut turn south (left) on 1st Street. It takes you right to the entrance. There should be signs set up.

Thanks Puppyboy!

Puppyboy
04-10-2008, 12:28 AM
From judging contests last year, we were told by the reps as long as it fits in the box its good to go. This will be my first time doing the cooks choice & dessert.

Jeff_in_KC
04-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Paul, here's what Corey sent me,... you have to email him to get these. See you tomorrow!

Jeff

Puppyboy
04-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Not sure where the best place would be to go in the park. Maybe the building at the pool. I live across town and have a basement if its needed. I'll shoot Corey an e-mail and let you know.
Not sure what I was thinking last night but the wife reminded me that the community center in the park is a cinder block building. As soon as Corey gets back with me I will post it here.

lunchlady
04-10-2008, 09:02 AM
now you've gone made me jealous...

Gentleman in the mornin',
tons of Brethren gearing up to joyfully attempt to kick each other's arses,
AND tornadoes...
(and you are serious too)
i wish I lived closer... heheh

have fun

smknwhlswife
04-10-2008, 09:22 AM
We just looked at the rules for the kidsq. It looks like neither of my girls can compete, mim. of 8 yrs old. This won't be good.:roll: We have been telling the girls since last year that this would be their first contest.

Kaylin won this contest 2 yrs ago when she was 5. Didn't realize that he would change it.:shock:

Diva
04-10-2008, 10:12 AM
If I had known that the max age was 16 I would have planned on bringing Brent. He's got plans now, so, that won't fly.

Puppyboy
04-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Just touched bases with Corey. He said he will leave the Community Center & Skating Rink unlocked this evening in case of the bad weather.

Diva
04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
We just looked at the rules for the kidsq. It looks like neither of my girls can compete, mim. of 8 yrs old. This won't be good.:roll: We have been telling the girls since last year that this would be their first contest.

Kaylin won this contest 2 yrs ago when she was 5. Didn't realize that he would change it.:shock:

Here's the official word from the man:

So, 5 would be my minimum age.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/cid:image002.jpg@01C89AF0.C9AA0310Corey Linton
Recreation Director
201 South 5th Street
Osage City KS, 66523
785.528.4610 (Office)
785.528.4951 (Fax)
Rec@OsageCity.com

smknwhlswife
04-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Here's the official word from the man:

So, 5 would be my minimum age.

Steph, you rock! Always lookin out for us.

smknwhlswife
04-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Just touched bases with Corey. He said he will leave the Community Center & Skating Rink unlocked this evening in case of the bad weather.

Thanks for checking with Corey on that. Makes me feel much better.

clubjoe
04-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know if the cook sites are on dirt/mud, gravel or pavement? Was just curious. See everyone there tomorrow. Thanks

matthew burt
04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
We are in E5 and Corey told me that half of our spot is on asphalt and the other half is on Grass.

The Pickled Pig
04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know if the cook sites are on dirt/mud, gravel or pavement? Was just curious. See everyone there tomorrow. Thanks

Corey said our spot (B1) was on a mix of gravel and dirt but we are in a parking lot. I would imagine those spots up against the building are on asphalt.

matthew burt
04-10-2008, 04:23 PM
last year we were up against the showere building and it was all grass.

clubjoe
04-10-2008, 04:56 PM
I called Corey also, he said our spot was mostly asphalt with a little bit in the grass, but not much. That sure makes me feel better!!!:biggrin:

Jeff_in_KC
04-10-2008, 11:47 PM
We're in the same lot as two years ago and it's all asphalt.

OK the weather report SUCKS! Tell me again why we do this chit so early in the year? :roll:

matthew burt
04-10-2008, 11:54 PM
We're in the same lot as two years ago and it's all asphalt.

OK the weather report SUCKS! Tell me again why we do this chit so early in the year? :roll:

no kidding, drive carefully.

Puppyboy
04-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Had 60-70mph winds wippin through town earlier. Blew a roof off a building and snapped a power pole on the north side of town. I have not made it to the park yet but intel has that the porta potties have been blown over and a few ez-ups are no longer in existence.

According to Topeka news, we should have maybe scattered showers in the AM with 50's by 5pm. Should turn out ok.

Que'inKC
04-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Good luck to everyone...Jeff (Jeff_in_KC) has been kind enough to let me tag along on this one...I've been looking forward to it all week!!!! Can't wait to see everyone out there...

KC_Bobby
04-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Any word from these guys?

Plowboy
04-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Andy got 11th - 4th in Chicken

R Butts R Smokin - 3rd
Slabs - 4th

Bare Bones BBQ - Local KC team was Grand.

Andy's daughter Loren (5) won her very first Kid's Q ever.

Paola Greg
04-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Some one else will need to note the Brethren teams, I'm too tired, but here are the results.

Overall
GC Bare Bones BBQ
RGC Pit Crew BBQ
3 R Butts R Smokin
4 The Slabs.Com
5 Flower of the Flame
6 Ribs 4 U
7 Parrothead Smokers
8 Munchin Hogs at the Hilton
9 Extreme Pork
10 QSS Smokin

CK
1 Munchin Hogs at the Hilton
2 Flower of the Flame
3 Pork Me Purple
4 Smoke on Wheels
5 Phat Jacks BBQ
6 Pit Crew BBQ
7 Thriftway Bunch BBQ
8 Smokin Salmons
9 Parrothead Smokers
10 QSS Smokin

RB
1 Ribs 4 U
2 Bare Bones BBQ
3 Rubbin Butts BBQ
4 Rubbin it and Lovin It
5 R Butts R Smokin
6 Tís Smokin Pit
7 QSS Smokin
8 Thriftway Bunch BBQ
9 The Slabs.Com
10 Lazy Boys Smokin Club

PK
1 Ribs 4 U
2 Pit Crew BBQ
3 Just Here BBQ
4 Flower of the Flame
5 Munchin Hogs at the Hilton
6 Parrothead Smokers
7 Extreme Pork
8 Bare Bones BBQ
9 Big Creek BBQ
10 Vagabond BBQ

BR
1 R Butts R Smokin
2 The Slabs.Com
3 Dawghouse BBQ
4 Bare Bones BBQ
5 Extreme Pork
6 Big Wigs BBQ
7 Flower of the Flame
8 Mokan Meatheads
9 Pit Crew BBQ
10 MG Smokers

Congratulations to All

DeanC
04-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Congrats to all the Brethern, nice finish Randy.

Jeff_in_KC
04-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Congrats to all in Survivor: Osage City! Wind pisses me off in EVERY hobby I have... golf, fishing and BBQ! That was some of the wickedest wind I've seen! And it was pretty much sustained all weekend, not just in gusts!

I have to admit that regardless of what help I have (thanks a ton, Stan and Jeff), I suck without my wife there. But we had a lot of fun and got a 9th place call in pork. Nice little trophy for a 9th place prize!

Anyway, it seems to have become a habit for Brethren to set themselves on fire this particular weekend. Last year, our friend Bubba catches himself on fire at Jefferson City. Well, Bub, you now have a new friend... Last night, I was working at the table when Que'inKC (Jeff) screamed out "OH CHIT I'M ON FIRE!!!!!" I turned and saw nothing but it seemed to be his "pork butt" so I said "Turn around". Sure a chit, there were FLAMES coming off his arse! Apparently, he became too intimate with the propane heater! I kinda stood there not knowing what to do. Stan was across the canopy area watching the whole thing. Well, you gotta help a Brethren, right? So I backhanded his arse twice to kill the flames. Dude's whole back of his new $30 insulated shirt was GONE and there was a big hole in his arse pocket of his jeans. We about fell over laughing so damned hard! Ok, it was AFTER we knew he was OK but THEN we laughed til we damned near puked! So I look at my hand and it had this hard, black chit on the back and it was after we looked at Jeff's wallet that we realized what it was... farking MELTED CREDIT CARDS! Looked like at least two or three were toast! Another round of laughing our arses off!!! I will tell you... a person has never taken so much chit for something as Jeff did the rest of the weekend. Of course some of that chit found it's way to me for smacking his ass... hey damn it, like I said... you do whatever you have to do to help a Brethren when he's on fire! Goddamned FUNNY weekend...

...even if I did get a three in taste in brisket. I hate it when judges smoke crack before turn-ins.

Diva
04-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Crack is whack.

The wind was unbelievable. I'm glad it's over. Don't get me wrong, good times had by all the Slabs, however, the conditions left a lot to be desired. Great contest, great friends, good times!

Steph

Plowboy
04-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Crack is whack.

The wind was unbelievable. I'm glad it's over. Don't get me wrong, good times had by all the Slabs, however, the conditions left a lot to be desired. Great contest, great friends, good times!

Steph

Nice finish, Steph.

Bigdog
04-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Crack is whack.

Steph

Two years in a row with crappy weather, I say move the contest to later in the year.

Hawgsnheifers
04-12-2008, 11:10 PM
I have to admit that having a 5 people team this year instead of only 2 last year made things much more bearable. David and I introduced his Brother, John and two other newbies to smoking. Now they all want to go out and buy smokers.

Although we finished dead last in Chicken and Pork, Ribs were OK, mid pack. My Brisket was 16th, which is a big improvement over last year. I felt good about the fact that I had finsihed in at least two catagories better than some of the regular top 10 finalists.

David's brother John placed 7th out of 33 in the cooks choice with a real nice Porl Loin.

We were flying the Brethren colors proud. I just wish we wouldn't have to have had the contest in a wind tunnel:eek:

QansasjayhawQ
04-13-2008, 10:14 AM
I have to admit that having a 5 people team this year instead of only 2 last year made things much more bearable. David and I introduced his Brother, John and two other newbies to smoking. Now they all want to go out and buy smokers.

Although we finished dead last in Chicken and Pork, Ribs were OK, mid pack. My Brisket was 16th, which is a big improvement over last year. I felt good about the fact that I had finsihed in at least two catagories better than some of the regular top 10 finalists.

David's brother John placed 7th out of 33 in the cooks choice with a real nice Porl Loin.

We were flying the Brethren colors proud. I just wish we wouldn't have to have had the contest in a wind tunnel:eek:
That was crazy. I felt sorry I didn't have some oil dry with us - that grease can and many other things wound up blowing over (and away) in the wind.

It was nice to meet Jeff - nicest Missouri Tiger fan I've ever met. :wink:

Who was that team right across from us who managed to prop up what was left of their EZUps down wind of and at just below the roof line of their Expedition? Yep - everybody had to hunker down.

P.S. Thanks for not mentioning that I was in charge of chicken and that we finished DAL, Todd. That was very kind of you. I thought our samples were better this year than last year - just like all of our stuff - but our chicken experienced a free fall in the wind tunnel from 16th to the bottom. Oh well . . . I still had a ton of fun!

Que'inKC
04-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to Jeff (Jeff_in_KC) and Stan for letting me tag along for this event...I had a lot of fun, even if I almost lost my arse...

It was very nice meeting a bunch of new people and seeing so many flying the Brethren colors.

It was really amazing to me how much work is involved with competing in an event like this, I have a new found respect for you guys that compete. I also know I have a lot of work to do before I am ready to join you guys...

I also want to mention how much fun I had being around the MOKAN Meatheads, they are a great bunch of guys...Even though they gave me such a hard time about my arse on fire...

They even told me that I was an honorary "Meathead"...Wow what an honor...I think!!

Thanks again..and I hope to see a lot of you again real soon...

Que'inKC
04-13-2008, 12:07 PM
I also want to say a special congrats to Randy R from R butts are Smokin for getting 1st in Brisket...He scored 176 out of 180...That must have been one amazing piece of meat!!!

clubjoe
04-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks Jeff,

It was a very nice comp, too bad mother nature worked against all of us. Look forward to next yr though.

HoDeDo
04-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Crack is whack. The wind was unbelievable. I'm glad it's over. Don't get me wrong, good times had by all the Slabs, however, the conditions left a lot to be desired. Great contest, great friends, good times! Steph Steve's Jambalaya was kinda like crack. I kept taking another hit, and another :razz:

Two years in a row with crappy weather, I say move the contest to later in the year.

The first two years had AWESOME weather. heck, mid 80's the 2nd year. Can't move smoke in the spring!

It was nice to meet Jeff - nicest Missouri Tiger fan I've ever met. :wink:

You sure haven't met a lot of Tiger fans...:twisted:

P.S. Thanks for not mentioning that I was in charge of chicken and that we finished DAL, Todd.I still had a ton of fun!

Sorry we missed you -when we were out walking around your camp was dark!

We had a blast. Dawghouse BBQ was set up Thurs. night about 7 when the 70+ MPH winds blew through. He lost 3 easy ups. The frames just broke into mangled pieces. before they snapped, he said they drug his okie joe trailer pit (with a vertical smoke box too boot) even thought it was chocked. I showed up in time to see the aftermath. And share some shots with Lee, Kathy, and Bret. Osage Chevy lost the roof of thier shop... and I saw a large commercial ice chest at the BP station on its back. Those were some strong winds. Needless to say, the wind was not below 20 mph for the rest of the weekend. Congrats to all the brethren calls!!! It was great to see such a big mix of folks getting to walk.

I like Pickled Pig's concept from the last contest thread, of recapping to 11th, since that is where I ended up this week. :rolleyes:

Great contest everyone!!

smknwhlswife
04-13-2008, 03:01 PM
This weekend was great...except for the weather, but even that could've been worse. Sorry I didn't get around, stayed close to camp with the girls.

We are very proud of our girls! They did a great job cooking this weekend. What is funny...is that 2 years ago Kaylin did her very 1st contest here and won. This year was Lauren's very 1st contest and she won! Pretty Cool!!:grin::grin:

Lauren, Ashley(cousin), & Kaylin

Lauren's burgers
14775 14772

Kaylin's Monster Burger

Lauren's Box

Kaylin's Box

Lauren WON!

Men-N-Blue BBQ
04-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey guys I had an awsome time at my first comp. I smoked with Puppy Boy (Barkin' Dogs BBQ). The wind was horable, but we managed. It was an honor to finally meet some of the Brethren guys. Hope to see you guys at the next comp.

smknwhlswife
04-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Hey guys I had an awsome time at my first comp. I smoked with Puppy Boy (Barkin' Dogs BBQ). The wind was horable, but we managed. It was an honor to finally meet some of the Brethren guys. Hope to see you guys at the next comp.

opps!

HoDeDo
04-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Puppyboy won the new Kingfisher 36" Combo Kooker. I wanna see pics of that bad boy fired up. I have cooked up some killer 'Que on one of those. Congrats!!!

Solidkick
04-13-2008, 05:18 PM
I wondered how many easy ups would be lost this weekend!

Congrats to all that walked and braved the elements. I didn't compete, but did cook, so I understand what you went through. I told my wife if we'd had been at a contest, we'd have come home.
Congrats to the kids that hung in there as well! I know I'm proud of you!

scottyd
04-13-2008, 07:55 PM
I want one of those burgers that the Girls have grilled up. I just might be out of the BBQ Biz there just getting younger and younger.

Darn pretty also. I can't make a burger like that. Congrats on the win.

QansasjayhawQ
04-13-2008, 07:59 PM
The first two years had AWESOME weather. heck, mid 80's the 2nd year. Can't move smoke in the spring!
I agree! Half the fun is not knowing which version of Kansas spring will show up.
Sorry we missed you -when we were out walking around your camp was dark!
This brought up a thought . . . has there ever been talk of a Brethren 'social hour' where we can all gather together and say hello before the really hard part begins? I'm thinking something like 11A to noon on Fridays or something like that . . .
Congrats to all the brethren calls!!! It was great to see such a big mix of folks getting to walk.
Great contest everyone!!
It was a lot of fun and I also wanted to say that I enjoyed getting to see so many folks getting some kind of recognition . . . congratulations to Corey Linton and his staff for all their hard work too! I'm sure it takes more energy than we can imagine to pull off a quality event like this.

KC_Bobby
04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Randy, Jeff, Andy, Wayne (did I miss anyone??) - congrats on the calls

JeffQ'in, glad you found a way to stay warm.

HoDeDo
04-13-2008, 11:00 PM
I want one of those burgers that the Girls have grilled up. I just might be out of the BBQ Biz there just getting younger and younger.

Darn pretty also. I can't make a burger like that. Congrats on the win.

Thanks Scott. The burgers were pretty8-) (Of course I think the kiddos are too <doting dad mod>. I love the fact that the younger one did her own thing, and didnt copy Kaylin's idea about the cheese filled monster burger. They each have their own style.

It was a lot of fun and I also wanted to say that I enjoyed getting to see so many folks getting some kind of recognition . . . congratulations to Corey Linton and his staff for all their hard work too! I'm sure it takes more energy than we can imagine to pull off a quality event like this.

Corey takes all the feedback he gets to heart, and really does try to keep things fresh and current. We've done this event every year, and loved it. This is one of the "don't miss" ones we hit. Having said that.... he only had 51 teams this year -- 12 dropped in the last week due to weather scare (one had a health issue).

I know we actually do try to get together with folks - we usually all post our spots (if known) and other info in some of the threads here. 11-noon might be early for a lot of events where folks dont get in until mid afternoon.

The Pickled Pig
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
I wondered how many easy ups would be lost this weekend!

We lost one even though it was weighted down with four 40lb. concrete buckets, tied to a chain link fence on 2 corners, and strapped by 3 tie-downs to a truck and a telephone pole. Of course, we did serve as a wind break for the rest of the contest.:cry:

The Pickled Pig
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Randy, Jeff, Andy, Wayne (did I miss anyone??) - congrats on the calls

Even though our main categories came up short, we did win 1st in Cook's Choice with a smoked salmon entry.

KC_Bobby
04-14-2008, 11:30 AM
And the Pickled Pigs!

Diva
04-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but.....

Paola Greg
04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but.....

Me neither,,,,,,,I just wish I had your brisket score :wink:

Diva
04-14-2008, 12:46 PM
To say that I was shocked when they called your team during the top ten, would be an understatement. Your name wasn't where I thought it would be.

KC_Bobby
04-14-2008, 12:49 PM
:icon_blush: I knew I should have just said congrats to all! Sorry to those I didn't recognize and/or overlooked.

Solidkick
04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
:icon_blush: I knew I should have just said congrats to all! Sorry to those I didn't recognize and/or overlooked.

Now you know why I play it safe! :lol:

I'll try to get time tonight to highlight the Brethren teams, but I have to go to the master list to see who's listed.....we've grown so much I don't know all the teams anymore....

Unless someone wants to post the teams involved, that would make it easier for me.

Thanks!

QansasjayhawQ
04-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Goddamned FUNNY weekend . . .even if I did get a three in taste in brisket.
Dang! That's just a notch above inedible! That really IS Goddamned FUNNY!

What did you inject it with? Gasoline?