PDA

View Full Version : Chili Competition at work

YankeeBBQ
04-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm entered in Chili Competition at work today and I'm more nervous about this than i think I was at the Jack. I think it must be the lack of booze, somebody get me a drink would ya ?

Podge
04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm entered in Chili Competition at work today and I'm more nervous about this than i think I was at the Jack. I think it must be the lack of booze, somebody get me a drink would ya ?

I'd say part of the nervousness comes from the fact that you're scared to win it, and you'll look like a chump, being a pro. BBQ competitor... :grin:

let us know how it went ! Good Luck !

Jorge
04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
You should do fine, as long as you stuck to the Yankee Code. Good Luck!

YankeeBBQ
04-03-2008, 01:56 PM
You should do fine, as long as you stuck to the Yankee Code. Good Luck!

Oh I did. I took somebody else's recipe and screwed with it until it's unrecognizable.

Scottie
04-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Did you do it CASi or Texas style? Or are beans allowed? I prefer with kidney beans...

YankeeBBQ
04-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Did you do it CASi or Texas style? Or are beans allowed? I prefer with kidney beans...

I may be a dumb Yankee but even I know Chili don't have beans !!

Scottie
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I would lose then...

Transformer BBQ
04-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Is it difficult to get the needle into the tiny cubes of meat?

YankeeBBQ
04-03-2008, 02:27 PM

I have a tumbler remember ?

ique
04-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Its a well know fact that chili made from leftover competition brisket dominates work chili contests 8-)

Neal
04-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Its a well know fact that chili made from leftover competition brisket dominates work chili contests 8-)

I'll second that! Brisket chili rules!

Funniest part about our work contest was that the big boss (as in my boss's boss's boss) was bragging for a week about how good his wife's chili is..."She has never lost a contest" he said. Man...that stuff was just awful. At first I thought he has making fun of it with all of his talk and that it was gag...but he ate three bowls of that garbage and I'm not sure he used a spoon! I won the contest and he finished last (out of 8 or 9). They decided not to release the results to his legion of minions for fear of a coup I suppose, but I wore my .25 Ribbon around the office like a jack-ass for the rest of the day. Fealt good!

YankeeBBQ
04-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Ah well I didn't place in the top two not sure where I finished. I'll get em next year.

lunchlady
04-04-2008, 08:54 AM

... now that was the funniest thing I've heard in a LONG time...

:lol:

Jorge
04-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Ah well I didn't place in the top two not sure where I finished. I'll get em next year.

Listen to Scottie, and add beans next year.

Black Cat BBQ
04-04-2008, 10:21 AM
CASI is Texas Style or Texas Red. No beans just meat and smooth gravy. Actually chili grind is the way to go with CASI, cubes have been out for awhile. Some people do still compete with cut but you will more than likely see grind winning.

I have tried brisket in my chili and it doesn't hold up well, not enough fat content. The meat breaks down to bb sized pellets and dries out. Chili spices are abosbed and break down because of the fat, they are not water soluble. I use an 80/20 grind with more fat run through the grinder. I always ask for chuck shoulder or roll at the butcher.

For any open comp I would definitely throw in beans, diced onions, tomato, etc. Not many people are that familiar with competition Red.

Sorry for the disertation on chili, that is where my competition cooking began and now I "maybe" finally ready for the next step. Comp Q.

watg?
04-04-2008, 02:16 PM

never competed in a chili contest at work, but brisket chili, thats some good eating!