PDA

View Full Version : Harpoon Vt 2009 Invitational

Sledneck
04-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Dear Barbecue Team,

We regret to inform you that the 2008 Harpoon Championships of New England Barbecue is sold out. The good news is that we will be changing our registration process for the event in 2009. Currently we fill the spots with the teams that participated in the previous year.

In 2009 we will be instituting an “Invitational” admission process that will require each team to complete an application. All these applications will then be reviewed and the most qualified teams (in our own estimation) will be invited to compete in the event.

We plan on beginning the application process in January of 2009. If you would like to receive an application, please contact us in January of 2009.

Thank you for your interest in our event.

Sincerely,

The Harpoon Brewery

SmokeInDaEye
04-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Got the same thing. I guess that means every 2007 team is returning, a surprise given how many new ones got in last year.

Mrs. Sawdust
04-01-2008, 02:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken only 3 new teams got in last year. Vinny, Willie and Us. Harpoon also holds open several spots for National Team Invites, like the Slabs, and Cancer Sucks Chicago(from last year). It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this event.

It appears to me that the growth of BBQ in New England is on the downside with all the contest cancellations we are seeing this year. All of Vito's contests have been cancelled or are not going to be events this year(including Rubbin and Racing, Peters Pond and Bikes, Bands & BBQ by the Bay). Westport is iffy, according to Tom Christine it may just be a BBQ show. Also, New Hampshire is questionable if they don't get enough teams. I guess time will tell.

YankeeBBQ
04-01-2008, 02:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken only 3 new teams got in last year. Vinny, Willie and Us. Harpoon also holds open several spots for National Team Invites, like the Slabs, and Cancer Sucks Chicago(from last year). It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this event.

It appears to me that the growth of BBQ in New England is on the downside with all the contest cancellations we are seeing this year. All of Vito's contests have been cancelled or are not going to be events this year(including Rubbin and Racing, Peters Pond and Bikes, Bands & BBQ by the Bay). Westport is iffy, according to Tom Christine it may just be a BBQ show. Also, New Hampshire is questionable if they don't get enough teams. I guess time will tell.

New Hampshire is definate. I'm not sure why people keep spreading rumors about the New Hampshire contest.

The cancellation of certain contest also has very little to do with the growth of BBQ in New England and more to do with the Organizer.

Q Haven
04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken only 3 new teams got in last year. Vinny, Willie and Us.

We were a new Harpoon team last year, along with the Pokey Smokers and I'm pretty sure a few others.

Mrs. Sawdust
04-01-2008, 02:46 PM
New Hampshire is definate. I'm not sure why people keep spreading rumors about the New Hampshire contest.

Everything I have read on the NEBS site has been negative. We registered the week the applications came out, so we are happy to hear we have a contest to go to. We enjoyed ourselves there last year, and did not understand the negativity to begin with.

The cancellation of certain contest also has very little to do with the growth of BBQ in New England and more to do with the Organizer.

Oooooooooh, we understand.:wink:

Sledneck
04-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Does this rub anybody the wrong way? I could understand if they made it like the AR or JD going by state championships etc but "estimation"? this process is just very wrong.

Mrs. Sawdust
04-01-2008, 02:48 PM
We were a new Harpoon team last year, along with the Pokey Smokers and I'm pretty sure a few others.

..... and here I thought you were a veteran of Harpoon.

Transformer BBQ
04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Anchormen 2007 but not in 2006, Q Ball was new I believe...

New Hampshire had 16 teams as of last week, and its 2+ months out. I'm not sure if that number includes Chris and Andys teams...

I think we need to wait to learn more on the process for the 2009 contest before this goes off the deep end. We're still 4 months out from even having the 2008 event...

Mrs. Sawdust
04-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Does this rub anybody the wrong way? I could understand if they made it like the AR or JD going by state championships etc but "estimation"? this process is just very wrong.

It will be interesting to see what the criteria will be for selection. Who knows maybe they will look for the best fish stick entry :-D:biggrin:

MAsQue
04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Got the same thing. I guess that means every 2007 team is returning, a surprise given how many new ones got in last year.

Also got this email. It was the first communication I'd gotten since I started inquiring about applications 4 months ago. I think the communication could be better, even if just more info were available on the website.

ique
04-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Sorry to continue off-topic, but I believe NH has turned the corner since it got NEBS sanctioning. For sure the contest has issues but they should make some improvements this year. I'll be competing and I spoke to a bunch of NEBS teams at Snowshoe that will as well. I think the 25 teams will happen.

As far as Harpoon looking to move towards invitational, I'm biased. They sponsor my team, I'm friends with Fitz. I can only say that there is no room to expand the event, so given slots for 40 teams they want the teams that will vend and provide the best experience for the visiting public.

BBQchef33
04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
First question.... is this an april fool joke?

if not, I'll bite.

I can see them saying ONLY GC's can sign up, and then the highest nn scoring teams are allowed in.. it would suck for those that have supported the event in the past, now may be facing eviction... but having a 'system' is fair accounting and its up to the team to earn the entry.. It avoids a perception thats it playing favorites.

but to say..
' the most qualified teams (in our own estimation)' IMO, is just unfair...

Why are 'they' experts on who is most qualified? What are there criteria?

Aren't qualifications' already quantified by the KCBS scoring system, the judges, and individual team performance?

Granted, no one can dictate how an organizer chooses to run a contest, but thats not to say we cant voice an opinion and say............ WTF?

I'd really like more information and some first hand knowledge as to WTF.... :icon_smil

ique
04-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Pretty sure last year, every single team re-upped. It wasnt until some teams had to cancel for whatever reason that a few wait list teams got in.

Q Haven
04-01-2008, 03:06 PM
It comes down to what Chris said, they want teams that will vend. Especially on Sunday. If I remember correctly last year some teams packed up and left Saturday night. They want teams that will sell food to the public, that is one of the many things that makes Harpoon so different from other contests.

Personally I am more upset about the new no swimming rule :-(

BBQchef33
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
i have only been there once, so don't have much to offer.. Its just seems a little....

Mean?? :confused::redface:

but then again, business decisions aren't always in the best interest of everyone but still need to be made.

Transformer BBQ
04-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Are you serious ? Is this an April Fools Joke ?

I'm not that clever... its really a rule. I promise.

Its on the first page, says that because of liability reasons, swimming by a team member, or somone associated with a team will result in an autmatic DQ, and will result in the team not being allowed to compete at the event in future years.

RGC for BBQ Trophy
Money for RGC in the Grilling event ($250)
$500 for GC in the Gilling event

ihbobry
04-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Ditto

ique
04-01-2008, 04:02 PM
From Harpoon HQ

Our landlord witnessed several people swimming during last year’s event. He discussed it with his lawyer after the event, who made it very clear that he should not allow swimming at all. It is not enough to put up signs or allow people to “swim at their own risk”. As a tenant of the property, we have no choice but to follow his recommendations. He is gracious enough as it is to allow us to host the event in the first place. I made this as clear as possible on the application so there is no “gray” area. I know it is unfortunate, but as I said, we have no choice. I would rather error on the side of caution.

MilitantSquatter
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Here's my take :

I believe Harpoon has every right to do what they want with their contest.

With that said, I think it sucks and leaves me with little desire to go up there this year. It's almost being a "lame duck" situation.

I also think it's pretty comical that while I did receive an application as a returning team, I have not received this same notification/news that prospective teams have. I'm glad I am finding this out before I send in my $300 check for a contest that has a not so stellar payout.

As far as the contest, it's a nice contest. It's not that much better than anything else I've been to. Take away the free beer and then it's like most contests in most aspects.

I understand their desire to have the teams vend. However, not all teams have the skills, resources, coordination or want to take the risk of vending and all that it entails.

Not sure yey, but may need to switch gears here and go compete at the Troy Pig Out in Albany the week before and save a lot on gas money.

We'll see.

Nitrofly
04-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Everything I have read on the NEBS site has been negative. We registered the week the applications came out, so we are happy to hear we have a contest to go to. We enjoyed ourselves there last year, and did not understand the negativity to begin with.

Oooooooooh, we understand.:wink:

Please understand that the Yahoo group is not the NEBS site it is an
open forum much like this one... the NEBS web site is www.nebs.org (http://www.nebs.org)
you can't believe everything you read on the yahoo group... some people
write stuff just to stir the pot.. Please check the real NEBS web site
or contact the NEBS Bod should you have a question..

Thanx

ique
04-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Vinny, I posted this over on the NE yahoo group. I dont know if this changes your thinking on things. I dont think its only about vending

~~~
I spoke to Fitz about this. There is no criteria at this point, nothing is set in stone. There is only a desire to allow other teams, teams that have been on the waiting list, teams that could improve the public enjoyment of the event to participate.

The Wildwood, NJ event has had the same issue. Again nothing is decided at all, its more of a heads up that something will change next year.

Chris

Here's my take :

I believe Harpoon has every right to do what they want with their contest.

With that said, I think it sucks and leaves me with little desire to go up there this year. It's almost being a "lame duck" situation.

I also think it's pretty comical that while I did receive an application as a returning team, I have not received this same notification/news that prospective teams have. I'm glad I am finding this out before I send in my $300 check for a contest that has a not so stellar payout.

As far as the contest, it's a nice contest. It's not that much better than anything else I've been to. Take away the free beer and then it's like most contests in most aspects.

I understand their desire to have the teams vend. However, not all teams have the skills, resources, coordination or want to take the risk of vending and all that it entails.

May need to switch gears here and go compete at the Troy Pig Out in Albany the week before and save a lot on gas money.

MilitantSquatter
04-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks Chris... I had not been on the NEBS forum this evening so I did not see your post over there yet.

Seems a bit pre-mature if nothing was set in stone or no criteria establish to make anyone aware of the situation.

I like the way Giants Stadium operates. They have a waiting list to buy season tickets and the ticket rights. They don't start from scratch each year and open it up to bring in all new fans wanting to have season tickets. They cater to the fans that support them who buy season tickets in years past.

I also like contests that operate that way. Sure it may not be fair to teams who want in, but it also makes the contests memorable in that you look forward to seeing the same teams from the previous year and chatting. New Holland is a perfect example. MAxed out at 72 teams. During the cooks meeting each year they ask for a show of hands of the # of years teams have returned. It's amazing to see how many have supported it since the first few years.

They'll be sure to get some big names in addition to the handful that are already in or allowing the top placing teams a spot, but if they don't do anything I think it will be a challenge to get 40-50 national level teams driving all the way to VT to compete.

Or they may end up with 25 middle of the pack teams who will vend and serve less than avg BBQ as vendors. The vending part makes sense, but I think the public would be just as satisfied if some of the big catering guys like Jack McDavid, Smoken Dudes etc were just catering. As long as the prices were the same, the offering was diverse etc.

LostNation
04-02-2008, 06:59 AM
I like the way Giants Stadium operates. They have a waiting list to buy season tickets and the ticket rights. They don't start from scratch each year and open it up to bring in all new fans wanting to have season tickets. They cater to the fans that support them who buy season tickets in years past.

I also like contests that operate that way. Sure it may not be fair to teams who want in, but it also makes the contests memorable in that you look forward to seeing the same teams from the previous year and chatting. New Holland is a perfect example. MAxed out at 72 teams. During the cooks meeting each year they ask for a show of hands of the # of years teams have returned. It's amazing to see how many have supported it since the first few years.

Vinny,
Please refresh my memory. Weren't you complaining to me a couple of years ago that it was unfair of new teams being shut out of some filled up contests.

Wildwood has a pretty good way of giving new teams a chance of getting in the contest. The top 2/3 of teams get an automatic entry. The bottom 1/3 and all the new applicants get into the contest by the earliest post mark.

With BBQ growing many contests will probably have this problem in the future

MilitantSquatter
04-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Vinny,
Please refresh my memory. Weren't you complaining to me a couple of years ago that it was unfair of new teams being shut out of some filled up contests.

Sorry Rich... I don't think that was me. I've been fortunate enough to get into every contest I've wanted to since I started out with the exception of Harpoon my first year. If we did discuss, while maybe dissappointed after hearing how great everybody said it was and not getting in the first time, I would not have been complaining about it as there were other contests to go to.

As I said in my first post, the organizers have a right to conduct their contest however they choose.

ique
04-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Maybe it was pre-mature, especially with the number of critics we seem to have in the BBQ community.

I'm going to suggest to Fitz to do something like what Wildwood started. And again from my conversation with Fitz its not about getting 40 national teams or a bunch of vendors like Smokin Dudes. Its about getting some new teams in each year that improve the event for the public... Do you think the BBQ-Brethren can do that? I do.

Thanks Chris... I had not been on the NEBS forum this evening so I did not see your post over there yet.

Seems a bit pre-mature if nothing was set in stone or no criteria establish to make anyone aware of the situation.

I don't. I see it at many contests. Folks come through the competition area and are pissed when we point them over to Jack or Smoken Dudes for food. They want to eat the food the competition teams are preparing! This is one of the key things that has made the Harpoon event successful.

Or they may end up with 25 middle of the pack teams who will vend and serve less than avg BBQ as vendors. The vending part makes sense, but I think the public would be just as satisfied if some of the big catering guys like Jack McDavid, Smoken Dudes etc were just catering. As long as the prices were the same, the offering was diverse etc.

YankeeBBQ
04-02-2008, 08:00 AM
I don't. I see it at many contests. Folks come through the competition area and are pissed when we point them over to Jack or Smoken Dudes for food. They want to eat the food the competition teams are preparing! This is one of the key things that has made the Harpoon event successful.

I agree Chris and to me it's also one of the things that makes Harpoon special. Getting to interact with the general public is a hoot. When the same guy comes back to your booth 3 teams for more food and raves how good it is, it's a great feeling. When the same person comes back 3 years in a row it's an even greater feeling. Harpoon is not just "another contest" in my opinion and it has very little to do with the free beer. I will miss the swimming though.

Sawdustguy
04-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Last year was our first year at Harpoon and we had a blast. It was by far one of the best contests we have competed at. I understand why they are changing their criteria. How easily we forget that they are a business trying to promote thier Brewery. If I were in their shoes I would consider inviting the best teams and asking them to provide their products to the public. This is a marketing move pure and simple. We will be back this year and try our hardest to get invited next year. If we are not invited next year, there is no reason to become upset. We will just find another July contest and have a blast there. No great shakes.

I will miss the swimming though.

Just as well for us because I don't think anyone would want to see either me or my brother in a bathing suit!:tongue:

Sledneck
04-02-2008, 08:39 AM
I agree Chris and to me it's also one of the things that makes Harpoon special. Getting to interact with the general public is a hoot. When the same guy comes back to your booth 3 teams for more food and raves how good it is, it's a great feeling. When the same person comes back 3 years in a row it's an even greater feeling. Harpoon is not just "another contest" in my opinion and it has very little to do with the free beer. I will miss the swimming though.
I do not vend and do not have a desire to. as far as the inviting the top 2/3 back like wildwood, that is not great either. Lets say i am a top 5 team and i have been supporting this event from the beginningand doing very well every year, i have a very bad weekend and tank. Get where i am going with this? It is like me being loyal to a contest and this is the loyalty i get back in return? Another example, i am not a good cook and do not vend but love to compete and now i do not get in even though i supported the event when they were in the first year?

YankeeBBQ
04-02-2008, 09:05 AM
I do not vend and do not have a desire to. as far as the inviting the top 2/3 back like wildwood, that is not great either. Lets say i am a top 5 team and i have been supporting this event from the beginningand doing very well every year, i have a very bad weekend and tank. Get where i am going with this? It is like me being loyal to a contest and this is the loyalty i get back in return? Another example, i am not a good cook and do not vend but love to compete and now i do not get in even though i supported the event when they were in the first year?

I don't remember seeing you at Harpoon the 1st year :wink:

Sledneck
04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I don't remember seeing you at Harpoon the 1st year :wink:Good one! I am not bashing the contest or questioning it but i am just trying to figure out what makes this event a premiere event. I have never competed there and only came up last year as a spectator. From what i understand si far, low payouts, no trophies. I don drink beer so that option is out. So?

YankeeBBQ
04-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Good one! I am not bashing the contest or questioning it but i am just trying to figure out what makes this event a premiere event. I have never competed there and only came up last year as a spectator. From what i understand si far, low payouts, no trophies. I don drink beer so that option is out. So?

To me it's all about the people , the location and the vending. Would I like to see more prize money ? You bet ! Trophies are no big deal to me. We got 2nd place pork at the Royal and only got a ribbon (and a check).

ique
04-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Good one! I am not bashing the contest or questioning it but i am just trying to figure out what makes this event a premiere event. I have never competed there and only came up last year as a spectator. From what i understand si far, low payouts, no trophies. I don drink beer so that option is out. So?

1. Venue. I daresay it might be more scenic then Troy, NY. :-P

2. Harpoon has a staff that runs these types of events professionally all year. I think having staff deliver ice, pickup trash, have solid water and electricity, drop off beer at your site, etc. goes a long way for many teams that arent used to much service at all. Logistically they run a tight ship.

3. And then the vending. Many teams do not focus on vending but simply sell leftover contest meats... maybe cook a little extra. This allows a whole bunch of teams to go home close to break even. Probably the #1 reason imo.

4. The public loves it. I can't think of any contest that has been as successful at connecting the public and the teams. Isnt that what the KCBS roadshow is trying to do?

Last year before the contest, reading all the pre-contest enthusiasm and hype posted here... I was unsure the event could live up to it. Sounds like it did for some and not so much for others.

Sledneck
04-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Those be some good reasons. What is the deal with vending? What is the fee? Do you need a special permit?

ique
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Those be some good reasons. What is the deal with vending? What it the fee? DO you need a special permit?

As long as you vend for only one day there is not special permit required.

Diva
04-02-2008, 10:50 AM
My two cents...for what it's worth. We were fortunate enough to get into Harpoon last year, our first time there. It was also our first time doing a contest in New England.

It was a BLAST! So much so, that we're coming back this year. I think the thing that we found so intriguing were the people. We met some spectators (I can't BELIEVE they stood out in the rain to get bbq!), got to meet some of the people I've only heard about through contest results, etc. {side bar, Uncle Jed, did NOT look like the Uncle Jed I pictured! LOL} The hospitality, bar none. Sure there was free beer, but, the atmosphere was the first I'd ever seen at a contest and I've been doing this for over ten years. Everybody getting together to watch a movie on Saturday night, the hootin' and hollering when someone got called. What you all have there is extraordinary, not just at Harpoon, but, bbq in general. You're a pretty tight-knit community.

BTW, we're vending on Sunday and we're coming in from Missouri. It's not about the money, it's about meeting some new folks and thanking the organizers for a wonderful event by helping them promote barbeque.

Now, "Business Steph" .....contests belong to the organizer. They foot the bill, it's their playground, per se.

Side note: NOW they add $250 for the RGC in the Grilling contest! LMAO! I wonder if they'll make that retro-active??? ; )

Scottie
04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I agree Steph. I feel very fortunate to have been in the contest last year. I wanted nothing better to be able to go back this year, if not to make up for a crappy showing, but to support the event. (We decided to not make 5 drives of over 2000 miles this year only because of the price of gas.) I have been all over the US and I must say that this contest is unique. In my opinion, the crowds are worth going back for. They appreciate the teams being out there and they obviously enjoy eating BBQ. Which makes it magical.

I'll miss going back this year and I hope to see some of my new friends in Lake Placid. I'll also miss swimming in the river, as that was a very unique experience as well. But I understand the liability fear. I guess the next thing to go would be them taking away the "Camp Harpoon" and not allow the teams to camp out in the field... Another unique feature of this fun contest.

Scottie

Sledneck
04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Which day is busier regarding spectators, sat or sun?

Diva
04-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Personally, I didn't see a difference. Even with the rain they had on Sunday.

It was unbelievable the amount of people.

Steph

Jorge
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Up on the hill I think we had a little more traffic on Saturday, but Sunday wasn't bad at all.

Nitrofly
04-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I agree Steph. I feel very fortunate to have been in the contest last year. I wanted nothing better to be able to go back this year, if not to make up for a crappy showing, but to support the event. (We decided to not make 5 drives of over 2000 miles this year only because of the price of gas.) I have been all over the US and I must say that this contest is unique. In my opinion, the crowds are worth going back for. They appreciate the teams being out there and they obviously enjoy eating BBQ. Which makes it magical.

I'll miss going back this year and I hope to see some of my new friends in Lake Placid. I'll also miss swimming in the river, as that was a very unique experience as well. But I understand the liability fear. I guess the next thing to go would be them taking away the "Camp Harpoon" and not allow the teams to camp out in the field... Another unique feature of this fun contest.

Scottie

Scottie
I understand.. you will be missed greatly.. your a class act :icon_blush:

Sledneck
04-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Up on the hill I think we had a little more traffic on Saturday, but Sunday wasn't bad at all.
I am asking from a vending standpoint. Which day would be better to vend?

ique
04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I am asking from a vending standpoint. Which day would be better to vend?

More traffic Sat but fewer teams vend on Sun. I'd recommend vending on Sunday.

lunchlady
04-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I've been kind of keeping my mouth shut on this one, but I decided to spew my two cents... here goes...

At first I was a little perturbed about the entry fee going up, then I noticed that they also upped the prize money and are giving out more trophies too. That is a huge plus. It seems, when you do the math, that almost all the entry fees go back towards prize money, and I honestly don't think that the prize money is "low". The BBQ GC gets 1600, with Reserve getting 800, plus the chances of placing while doing that is pretty good... a first place finish ($400) in any BBQ category will pay you back more than your entry fee. Plus, I know for a fact that these amounts have gone up. In '05 we took first place ribs and took home 100. Now they give that out for third place.
All of this is good for the event.

IF you can vend, DO IT! You will sell stuff, even if it is just your leftovers, and then you are making money on what you would have just put in the freezer, or given away.

If you don't think any of that is worth it to you or your team, then don't play in that beautiful Vermont sandbox. I, for one, will go until they don't let me anymore.

On another note, I do have to kinda agree with Sled a little bit though... what if you don't place well one time, after placing in their top ten for five years in a row? I would think that they would take that into their considerations. Knowing Harpoon, and the people that run it, I have a pretty good idea they would address something like that. They are one of the most 'cooker-friendly' contests that exists. But, for now, we have NO IDEA what they are going to do, so we'll have to wait and see. It's their show.

After saying all of this... I am still counting the days... 112 to be exact~!

lunchlady
04-04-2008, 08:40 AM

Not to ruffle any feathers, but I don't see it that way.
Before Vito organized a SLEW of contests, which was basically only last year, by the way, there was really ONLY Peter's Pond, NH, and Lowell, along with the Snowshoe which were EVERY YEAR. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I can take it.
BBQ in New England (and I am including New York, because I always do) has grown, and now there are awesome, recurring contests like Hudson Valley, Oinktoberfest, and Lake Placid, which did not exist before and are now going strong with no end in sight. More and more 'regular people' are aware of REAL BBQ, and you can see that by the number of BBQ restaurants that have opened up in the past few years.
Sometimes, sh*t just happens, ask the Grillin' On The Bay guys, and there isn't a whole lot that anyone can do about it.

It seems to me that everyone wants more contests, but it's hard to find someone who wants to step up and organize a contest; most would rather cook instead. I completely understand this... I am a cook from the word GO.

BUT, if there aren't organizers in New England, there aren't contests in New England.... period. So... then... we travel (like New England teams always have in the past).... and then we can bitch about gas costs. :roll:

Kudos to all the organizers out there that take the time and energy to put contests on! Just wanted to shout that out.

Thanks for listening!

I haven't heard anything that said that PP was not happening, either.

Rub
04-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I had a blast as a go-fer last year - beautiful area, great people, and free beer!

But the no swimming rule ... :cry:

Sledneck
04-04-2008, 10:07 AM
I had a blast as a go-fer last year - beautiful area, great people, and free beer!

But the no swimming rule ... :cry:
Are you and big daddy coming back up?

DawgPhan
04-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I think that several of the long running popular contests are going this route. I know that the Dillard GA contest is now pretty much invitation only as is the Winchester Tn event. Both have a long history of being a great cooker friendly event and can basically have whoever they want. Dillard invites back everyone from last year to the next year's event and not many folks dont return each year.

Sledneck
04-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I think that several of the long running popular contests are going this route. I know that the Dillard GA contest is now pretty much invitation only as is the Winchester Tn event. Both have a long history of being a great cooker friendly event and can basically have whoever they want. Dillard invites back everyone from last year to the next year's event and not many folks dont return each year.
I do not consider that invitational when inviting back the same teams first, i consider it loyalty

MilitantSquatter
04-04-2008, 07:11 PM
I do not consider that invitational when inviting back the same teams first, i consider it loyalty

Agreed. However, making selections based on who knows who, reviewing credentials/wins/ability to vend etc. certainly is.

Just curious - Do KCBS rules would allow an invitational contest to count for KCBS TOY points ? I thought the American Royal Open counts toward TOY and not the AR Invitational but I may be wrong. Is that the same with the GAB Open/Invitational ?

ique
04-04-2008, 08:04 PM
If selecting a team based on if they are "national" or "vending" or "putting on a cooking demo for the public" is considered invitational then accepting only those teams that competed last year would be invitational as well.

KCBS hasn't had a problem with the grandfathering so far, Wildwood, Harpoon and Dillard have been doing it for at least the last 3-4 years. So I don't see why KCBS would have a problem with an open application period and then selecting some teams based on vending, national, demo or whatever. If KCBS did have an issue with this, then I'd submit that all contests should have 100% open enrollment the only criteria being what entry/check shows up in the mailbox first.

But, I personally don't think KCBS is going to issue any kind of mandates to some of the top contests in the country unless there is a really good reason to do so.

Just .02, as I said at the beginning of this thread I am biased. If I'm pissing you off please swing by my camp in Salisbury for a pull off of the IPA keg and we can talk bbq or baseball or something much more interesting.

Rub
04-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Are you and big daddy coming back up?

Dr. Frankenswine has sent an invitation to each of us. He was originally trying to see if he could gain an entry for a FL team made up of a few of us, but it obviously didn't pass. Whether or not I get up there this year is up in the air for me, but probably not likely.

MilitantSquatter
04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
BBQ-Brethren.com has decided to come to their senses and compete at Harpoon again rather than making a rash decision based on speculation for 2009.

We have also decided to vend on Sunday.

Plowboy
04-06-2008, 04:38 PM
If selecting a team based on if they are "national" or "vending" or "putting on a cooking demo for the public" is considered invitational then accepting only those teams that competed last year would be invitational as well.

KCBS hasn't had a problem with the grandfathering so far, Wildwood, Harpoon and Dillard have been doing it for at least the last 3-4 years. So I don't see why KCBS would have a problem with an open application period and then selecting some teams based on vending, national, demo or whatever. If KCBS did have an issue with this, then I'd submit that all contests should have 100% open enrollment the only criteria being what entry/check shows up in the mailbox first.

But, I personally don't think KCBS is going to issue any kind of mandates to some of the top contests in the country unless there is a really good reason to do so.

Just .02, as I said at the beginning of this thread I am biased. If I'm pissing you off please swing by my camp in Salisbury for a pull off of the IPA keg and we can talk bbq or baseball or something much more interesting.

From what I know, invitational contests are NOT sanctioned by KCBS. You don't seem them listed on the KCBS site. Invitationals do not count towards TOY. If Harpoon moves to an Invitational, it should lose its KCBS sanctioning. Period.

I'd say most competitions give first preference to returning teams. That is not unusual.

ique
04-06-2008, 06:49 PM
From what I know, invitational contests are NOT sanctioned by KCBS. You don't seem them listed on the KCBS site. Invitationals do not count towards TOY. If Harpoon moves to an Invitational, it should lose its KCBS sanctioning. Period.

I'd say most competitions give first preference to returning teams. That is not unusual.

It's not unusual but it is invitational. By no means is filling a contest with those teams that competed last year an 'open' contest.

Sledneck
04-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Dr. Frankenswine has sent an invitation to each of us. He was originally trying to see if he could gain an entry for a FL team made up of a few of us, but it obviously didn't pass. Whether or not I get up there this year is up in the air for me, but probably not likely.
cmon rub ya gotta come up, we are gonna make the linguine and clam sauce just for you guys

Plowboy
04-06-2008, 09:19 PM
It's not unusual but it is invitational. By no means is filling a contest with those teams that competed last year an 'open' contest.

What I've seen is the applications are available to the former year teams for a month or so before it is opened up. Even the Royal and GAB do this for their Opens.

That is a little different than selecting the teams you want at your contest for reasons of: vending, celebrity status, locality, national or local rankings, etc. That invitation with a purpose.

Just my humble opinion... which means nothing in the world of KCBS... except 4 votes in January. :biggrin:

Muzzlebrake
04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
boy I go away for a week and a whole bunch of stuff happens..........wow busy times I guess.

We have never been able to compete at Harpoon for various reasons but have considered judging there and have just sent Fitz and e-mail about doing so. From what I understand this a great event and I would like to check it out in some capacity other than as a spectator.

If I remember correctly, last year the majority of the judges spots were filled at the CBJ class that took place in Maynard. I am just wondering if that is still going to be the case going forward in '09. It would seem to me that if you want to have "the most qualified teams" competing, that the judging should be on par with the competitors.

I dont know how the rest of you feel about judging, would you be adverse to judging at a contest that you weren't able to compete in? I would rather compete, but if I am not able to I think that judging is a viable alternative at least for me and the others guys on our team. I also think that if we do so we may actually help with inconsistencies in the judging that has been a thorn in many of our sides.

Lakeside Smoker
04-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I dont know how the rest of you feel about judging, would you be adverse to judging at a contest that you weren't able to compete in? I would rather compete, but if I am not able to I think that judging is a viable alternative at least for me and the others guys on our team. I also think that if we do so we may actually help with inconsistencies in the judging that has been a thorn in many of our sides.

Hey Sean

Thats what I did last year.
I've been trying to get into Harpoon over the last two years with no luck. So last year I judged instead. I loved it! I got there in the morning to judge then after judging I got to hang out with everybody and party. It's a great way to hang out at a comp if you cant get in.
I didn't get in this year either :sad:.

BTW, Mark Gelo is the judges contact, not fitz.

Mike

Muzzlebrake
04-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Mark Gelo is the judges contact, not fitz.
Mike

Mike,

thats exactly what I thinking, it would be lots of fun. Do you have an e-mail for Mark?

Transformer BBQ
04-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Mark.Gelo@att.net