PDA

View Full Version : Pulled chicken as turn in

CrimsonSmoke
03-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I searched and didn't find much on this. I am thinking about maybe possible trying it at my 1st comp. Go idea or not? You guy that have seen it at comps how did it do. Or is this a big no no 1st time out. Thanks in advance for the comments.

nthole
03-27-2008, 11:12 PM
I've thought about this as well. And there's one person I have heard of that did well with it. One.

It's pretty simple, judges see nice looking thighs over and over. And then they see something else. And whether your something else is the best in the world or not, it's still something else, and that's always a big risk.

I thought about doing pulled chicken, drums, full wings, but in the end most of the experienced people here set me straight. Right now at least, thighs are winning over and over and over and over, most weekends, most contests. It it's your first time out, don't make it any harder on yourself.

Smokin Gator
03-28-2008, 06:43 AM
I've seen/done pulled chicken under the thighs. I really like it.

The_Kapn
03-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Some historical reading on the subject:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13876&highlight=Pulled+chicken

Pulled and properly sauced makes a YUMMY pile of chicken, but it is really different.
Sometimes, "different" is not a good thing.

Your call as to what to turn in and how to do it.

Good luck.

TIM

TOPS BBQ
03-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I did the "different" turn-in a few times. Was hoping judges would remember it over the others. Well, they did, but sometimes it went well and other times, not so well.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
03-28-2008, 04:32 PM
tried it a 2 comps. looked good,great taste. low scores in apperance. I have done better with thighs.

Ron_L
03-28-2008, 05:15 PM
At one comp one team turned in thighs with a pile of pulled chicken in the middle. I don't know how it scored since i was working the turn in table and not judging.

icemn62
03-28-2008, 05:32 PM
From what I have read in here in the competition thread is that different is not that good. Think about it, If I told you we were judging Fords, and someone drove up in a caddy, not that it is a worse car, but it does not fit the model of what we are looking for. i would think that unless your chicken is the best tasting chicken on the planet, and can cure disease . . . .go with what everyone else is doing and make sure to pick up some points instead of taking a chance at getting zeros....

I don't compete, but that was my 0.02 cents, which will not buy much gas today.

CrimsonSmoke
03-28-2008, 07:12 PM
thanks for the advise going to stick with the normal then. Thighs win!

ique
03-28-2008, 07:48 PM
One of my favorites is smoking chicken leg quarters and pulling. I did a run over the winter of pulled chicken with competition in mind. Mike (Lakeside) and I had a good conversation about trying something different than thighs at the Harpoon Helps event back in Nov.

But, looks like I'm wimping out, I'm sticking with thighs for now... here is a pic of the pulled 'competition' chicken...

G$
03-28-2008, 09:44 PM
thanks for the advise going to stick with the normal then. Thighs win!

I for one think it is too bad you are not going to try it. I think it would be interesting to try!

watertowerbbq
03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
One of my favorites is smoking chicken leg quarters and pulling. I did a run over the winter of pulled chicken with competition in mind. Mike (Lakeside) and I had a good conversation about trying something different than thighs at the Harpoon Helps event back in Nov.

But, looks like I'm wimping out, I'm sticking with thighs for now... here is a pic of the pulled 'competition' chicken...

Speaking as a judge, that looks farkin awesome! :-D:-D

Pigtrip
03-29-2008, 03:59 AM
Part of the deal is that pulled chicken is different from what's "expected," but I think the bigger deal is that many of the judges are going to think, "Whoa, whoever cooked this entry screwed up and is doing his best to salvage what he can." That shouldn't affect the scoring, but subconsciously it probably does.

Chris, that chicken is definitely not a salvage job. It looks like it's going to taste great, so I'd score it accordingly for appearance and take it from there.

Lakeside Smoker
03-29-2008, 05:11 AM
I also did some practice after Chris and I talked about it.
What I liked the best is you could get the chicken done and out of the way real early, pull it, then just reheat it right before turn in. I'm still tinkering, but I doubt I will be turning pulled chicken in.

But like Gary said. It should be judged for what it is: pulled chicken, and not viewed as a mistake.

Mike

Cue's Your Daddy
03-29-2008, 07:42 AM
I think pulled chicken should be viewed not as a mistake but more of someone challenging themselves. i think with pulling it a judge can see what he percieves to be "dry" or overcooked chicken because you are actually seeing the white of the chicken not just sauce on skin with "properly" placed parsley. But the problem with judges is that they are going into the judging with the pre-concieved notion that the cook did something wrong and not something right, similiar to the 2 fat pollacks 'fried chicken-gate" scandel. Chris u won enough to be the first to sacrifice a chicken score for the better of barbeque.:grin:

Ford
03-29-2008, 07:42 AM
you pay your money and take your chances. It's gambling so look at the odds and the payback for a long shot bet. At craps you get a great return on betting snake eyes but the odds are 1 in 36. Want those odds for your chicken turn in?

Spydermike72
03-29-2008, 08:12 AM
you pay your money and take your chances. It's gambling so look at the odds and the payback for a long shot bet. At craps you get a great return on betting snake eyes but the odds are 1 in 36. Want those odds for your chicken turn in?

Arent the odds the same ?? If you have 36 teams competeing you would still have 1 in 36 odds, right ???

Ford
03-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Arent the odds the same ?? If you have 36 teams competeing you would still have 1 in 36 odds, right ???
It has nothing to do with the number of teams. It's the odds of the judges liking the pulled or being surprised by it. The 1 in 36 is an example only. It may be more or less but we all know judges are often (most of the time) set in their ways. Submitting pulled chicken is a long shot bet. When it comes in you win but most of the time you lose. Is it worth the gamble?

Roo-B-Q'N
03-29-2008, 11:49 AM
We compete "outside the norm" and have done well not doing candied thighs. Our first contest we took a third place walk. Another contest we took 2nd. Of course there were those that we didn't do so well, so like Ford said it is a gamble, but it is not hopeless. Go for it and challenge yourself and the judges.

As a judge I have had some of the worst looking chicken taste the best and vice versa.

Spydermike72
03-29-2008, 12:27 PM
It has nothing to do with the number of teams. It's the odds of the judges liking the pulled or being surprised by it. The 1 in 36 is an example only. It may be more or less but we all know judges are often (most of the time) set in their ways. Submitting pulled chicken is a long shot bet. When it comes in you win but most of the time you lose. Is it worth the gamble?

I guess I misspoke, the chances of winning would be the same, but the odds (2-1 etc) would be greater. Thanks for showing me the light Ford!!

blues brother
04-01-2008, 12:06 AM
For what it is worth...you can have the best of the best, thighs, wings, drummers or pulled chicken and have one(I repeat, ONE) judge that does not like your entry and you will be be out of the running for a walk.

I don't want to sound like sour grapes here. That is not what this is about. You turn in what you think is a winning meat and go with it! BBq comps are just like real life...if you take it too seriously it ain't no fun no more!

Prep enough thighs for the turn in and also have enough for pulled. Make your choice 5 minutes before and have fun with your decision. Do your best and smile with satisfaction that you did.

Getting off my little soap box with one last thought...if it ain't fun, DON'T DO IT!

cmcadams
04-01-2008, 07:34 AM
I've seen it once as a judge... It was horrible.

The entry was badly done, as the fat wasn't removed, but the main thing is that the chicken will likely get cold. Thighs retain their heat pretty well, actually, but when you pull it, it won't. So judges are going to eat cold chicken. I wouldn't expect it to score well. Also, the entry looked like dog food; pulled chicken isn't very pretty.