PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Judging Pool

Roo-B-Q'N
03-17-2008, 02:04 PM
We have a KCBS Judges class scheduled in Omaha for May 31st. and this is why I am asking about the judging pool.

We have attempted to sign up to judge for several contests between Omaha and KC. The early ones are all in the KC area and as the spring and summer draw near the Northern contests start firing up. When we try to sign up for the earlier contests they have such a large pool to draw from we don't get considered to judge. When the comps start getting closer to us we want to cook them to support the contest. So is it just me or is the judging pool just getting to big? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

eurycea
03-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I say the more the better. There are more and more contests every year so it shouldn't be that hard for a cbj to find a contest to judge.

CajunSmoker
03-17-2008, 06:38 PM
It may be that there are too many in certain areas and not enough in others. My wife and I just went thru the class and we are set to judge at Hammond, La - Columbus, Ms - Pine Bluff, Ark - Hot Springs, Ark. So far every contest we have applied to we have been accepted.:-D

butts a fire
03-17-2008, 09:37 PM
I said the more we have the better we are. I hope that it means we have 100% certified judges at the contests. I just took the class a week ago and am looking forward to judging a contest or two this summer, hopefully they won't be filled up.

Bbq Bubba
03-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I said we need more, at least in this area.
Both Michigan comps last year, they had to pull people off the street to fill judging tables!! :eek::confused:

KC_Bobby
03-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Seems to be a ton of judges within 100 or so miles around the KC area. I've enquired about judging 3 events this spring and am on the list for 2 and the waiting list for 1. I'd guess many other parts of the country wishes they had this problem.

Bill The Grill Guy
03-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Is there a list of judges somewhere that contest organizers can use to contact potential judges in thier area? That would be nice to have.

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
03-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Is there a list of judges somewhere that contest organizers can use to contact potential judges in thier area? That would be nice to have.

There is a list of judges on the website but I think your rep can get you to an email list (Merl helped me with that today).

Char

Munkee's Pit
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
I think that Jamey is still looking for a few more CBJ's at Pleasant Hill, Mo on 04/05.

stan
03-20-2008, 09:18 AM
We are looking for more judges for the Pleasant Hill contest! Jamey is in charge of judges for the contest.

Sawdustguy
03-21-2008, 04:39 AM
We have a KCBS Judges class scheduled in Omaha for May 31st. and this is why I am asking about the judging pool.

We have attempted to sign up to judge for several contests between Omaha and KC. The early ones are all in the KC area and as the spring and summer draw near the Northern contests start firing up. When we try to sign up for the earlier contests they have such a large pool to draw from we don't get considered to judge. When the comps start getting closer to us we want to cook them to support the contest. So is it just me or is the judging pool just getting to big? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Who would you rather have judge your turn-in a CBJ or someone off the street? In the Northeast CBJ's are scarce.

QansasjayhawQ
03-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Last year at Smoke In The Spring at Osage City, Kansas, the event coordinator, Corey Linton was really happy to announce that one CBJ was going to be at each table.

That sounds to me like it doesn't take much to discourage CBJ's from showing up . . . even just a nice drive in the country can take a competition down a notch from those in the KC metro area.