PDA

View Full Version : Quick Notes from the Board

Merl
03-17-2008, 09:37 AM
On the KCBS web site (www.kcbs.us (http://www.kcbs.us)), in the news section of the homepage is a link to:

"Quick Notes from the Board"
These are not the official minutes of the Board meeting, but a brief summary of the board meeting. The Board wants to have a method of giving a summary, and not having our members, who might be interested wait for a month or longer to read the full minutes in the Bullsheet.

Again, these are not the official minutes, but intended to be a "news" summary" of the board meeting.

Merl Whitebook
Secretary, KCBS

KC_Bobby
03-17-2008, 09:56 AM
The Board considered the motion to allow telephone or electronic methods to listen to the Board meetings. The motion did not pass. Members of KCBS are welcome to attend the meeting in person. Except for October, all Board meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m.

Merl, are you able to elaberate on this? Is this motion dead, or will the motion be reworked based on board discussion and passed at the next meeting?

Sledneck
03-17-2008, 09:57 AM
On the KCBS web site (www.kcbs.us (http://www.kcbs.us)), in the news section of the homepage is a link to:

"Quick Notes from the Board"
These are not the official minutes of the Board meeting, but a brief summary of the board meeting. The Board wants to have a method of giving a summary, and not having our members, who might be interested wait for a month or longer to read the full minutes in the Bullsheet.

Again, these are not the official minutes, but intended to be a "news" summary" of the board meeting.

Merl Whitebook
Secretary, KCBSA great idea. I was very disappointed to read this though:
The Board considered the motion to allow telephone or electronic methods to listen to the Board meetings. The motion did not pass. Members of KCBS are welcome to attend the meeting in person. Except for October, all Board meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m.

nthole
03-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Glad to see the nepotism issue was withdrawn as well. Would have loved to have heard that heated discussion.

I think it sucks that they are basically saying if you aren't from KC and don't want to travel then you can't hear the meetings. That's pretty ludicrous and Kansas City-centric in thinking. With technology the way it is today there's many affordable options. Sounds more like an attempt to keep people out than a serious look at being inclusive.

YankeeBBQ
03-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Glad to see the nepotism issue was withdrawn as well. Would have loved to have heard that heated discussion.

I think it sucks that they are basically saying if you aren't from KC and don't want to travel then you can't hear the meetings. That's pretty ludicrous and Kansas City-centric in thinking. With technology the way it is today there's many affordable options. Sounds more like an attempt to keep people out than a serious look at being inclusive.

Hey Jorge how's about setting us up a petition for this one. I would jump on board.

Sledneck
03-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey Jorge how's about setting us up a petition for this one. I would jump on board.
Great idea!

Jorge
03-17-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm not running a PAC.

YankeeBBQ
03-17-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm not running a PAC.

That's what you think Mon Capitan. Jorge for President !!

Merl
03-17-2008, 11:38 AM

Merl, are you able to elaberate on this? Is this motion dead, or will the motion be reworked based on board discussion and passed at the next meeting?

I think the issue is dead for this year. The make up of the members of the BOD changes each year. Will try again next year, if I have the opportunity.

I remain constant in my belief that KCBS should be a member driven and influenced organization. It will remain, as in the past, and again next year when I run for re-election, the prime issue which I hope voters will insist upon. (at least right now, and I hope no larger issue comes up this year.)

Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook

KC_Bobby
03-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks Merl. I was hoping the motion was just to be reworked that rather than having call ins, that the meetings would be streamed via the internet so members would be able to listen for free/very low charge. Technology is pretty wonderful these days and I'm disappointed that this is dead.

Can you tell us how the vote came out?

Transformer BBQ
03-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Merl-
Board members are allowed to call in a vote on issues, right?

drbbq
03-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't see any mention of my proposal to write a new KCBS Cookbook with Carolyn. I purposely spoke with Carolyn before even bringing it up and she said she was interested in doing it. But now I feel like maybe I was dreaming during our discussions and my visit to the BOD meeting because the idea seems to have just vanished into thin air.

I don't mean this at you Merl, I'm just saying.....

Roo-B-Q'N
03-17-2008, 01:51 PM
If you have never sat through a KCBS BOD meeting before, I really urge you to make it a point to do so. It will answer so many of your questions.

The dynamics of this board is like a third grade playground. They line up according to their loyalties and the bullies try to pick fights and the good little kids try to get their work done. The bullies hold their breath until they can't anymore and then move onto another time wasting event. It is really all pretty silly to watch.

This is why they do not want you to hear what is going on. They sound like a bunch of idgits and they don't want you to know how big of idgits they are. This is also why they do not hold the meetings when more people could attend. Have them on Friday Nights (Saturday Nights during Comp Season) and I bet more people would show up. Of course there are some exceptions on the board and they know who they are.

And Doc, I think you had vanished into thin air in several of the board members eyes while you were still standing there. I would go to Caroline and see what she has to say.

All of this of course is just my .02 cents.

drbbq
03-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Nah, it's not worth the trouble. I've already moved on to something very cool. Here's a hint:I had a beer with Gaylord Perry yesterday.

Spydermike72
03-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Nah, it's not worth the trouble. I've already moved on to something very cool. Here's a hint:I had a beer with Gaylord Perry yesterday.

Spitballs ??? :lol: Just kidding, sounds like it could be something really cool, like Stadium Food or something ??

Sledneck
03-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Gaylord Perry? I thought he was dead?

KC_Bobby
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Vasoline meat balls served on nail files?

ThomEmery
03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Well I am glad we at least have a notes section
Open meetings via the web should be the Primary Issue in the up coming election
Or Maybe it will be conflicts of interest

CharlieBeasley
03-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Merl Thanks for the update. I wonder if the withdrawal of the nepotism issue was because it would have been voted down and no allowed to reappear at least for a year? Again many thanks!

Sledneck
03-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Merl Thanks for the update. I wonder if the withdrawal of the nepotism issue was because it would have been voted down and no allowed to reappear at least for a year? Again many thanks!
Is that the rule? Something gets voted down and is not allowed to reappear for a year?

Spydermike72
03-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Well I am glad we at least have a notes section
Open meetings via the web should be the Primary Issue in the up coming election
Or Maybe it will be conflicts of interest

Hey Thom I agree, I dont understand why this cant be the focus of the Board this year. At least we can support a candidate that makes that the focus for next year as you say!!

Roo-B-Q'N
03-20-2008, 12:44 PM

Is that the rule? Something gets voted down and is not allowed to reappear for a year?

From the way I understood Merl, it was withdrawn and not allowed to be voted on.
I don't know the actual timing if it is a year or not, but I believe it would not be able to be brought up in that same form again. The board uses what appeared to me to be a modified version of Robert's Rule of Order, so hard to tell what KCBS has adopted.