PDA

View Full Version : Splitting the comp forum ?? Feedback requested.

BBQchef33
03-14-2008, 11:59 AM
guys, im looking for some feedback from you.

The other day, i was looking for some info in our competition forum and found myself wading thru a load of contest info, and had trouble locating the 'general' information thread i was looking for.

So the mods and I were thinking maybe to split competition into 2 areas.

1 - Events Area. Announcments, Schedules, Classes, and Roll Calls.

2 - Comp talk. Comp Cooking Techniques, Show me's, Equipment, general discussion.

Now, I look at the forum and the largest majority are the events. Mixed in are pics of boxes looking for critique, trailer talk, "how do I", and general info. But thats a lesser percentage.

Here are some options.

I can set up a "general discussion" subforum, maybe call it "CompTalk" and we can start putting general discussion in there. Leaving all the event talk where it is. (In the main Competiton BBQ forum)

Or set up an 'Event Center' subforum and we put the event stuff in that one, leaving the general discussion in the main forum.

Or a seperate subforums for each, making Competition BBQ a catagory with no posting.. you would have to enter a subforum.

or..just leave it alone.

This is only discussion, just looking for feedback. We haven't even agreed this is needed yet.. so...

lets discuss.

Poll attached.

BBQ Grail
03-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I'd love to read about the actual cooking at comps. The know how is probably out of this world. The event stuff is just to overwhelming sometimes.

Bigmista
03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd like to see them separated make the smaller percentage the sub forum.

ZBQ
03-14-2008, 12:50 PM
I voted for the 2 subforums.

I think it would be more intuitive.

YankeeBBQ
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
The comp forum is the place I visit most often, I wander into Qtalk and the woodpile occasionally but not often. I come from that 'other place' and I'm just used to having everything right in front of me. Switching back and forth between sub forums just seems like a pain in my backside. But that's just me.

Scottie
03-14-2008, 01:33 PM
I agree Steve. I don't go to the green one anymore. It's all sterilized now. I too like it all under the same.

Westexbbq
03-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I like the idea of 2 subforums as well; might take getting used to at first but we are adaptable.

SmokeInDaEye
03-14-2008, 03:07 PM
just to play it out a bit...

You'd have a thread in the comps forum saying "XXX is happening on May 3. Contact xxx to sign up" and no subsequent posts since they'd be off topic? Then to discuss individual categories (is shrimp considered seafood?), logistics, whatever you'd have to jump into the subforum?

Seems like it could easily balloon into a big job for mods when people don't post in the right place. Say you allow rollcall in comps. I post "SIDE just signed up." Wes replies "You said you would never go back there!" Wes's post technically should get moved to the comp talk area, but who the hell was he talking to?!!! It's now out of context.

MoKanMeathead
03-14-2008, 03:41 PM
I like it just the way it is.

My 2 cents.

Mutha Chicken BBQ
03-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Doesn't really matter, But it would be nice to mabey have a subsection on technique and critique

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
03-14-2008, 05:14 PM
I sort of like the idea of 2 different forums, the down side is the event forum would be slow during the winter months.

Pig Headed
03-14-2008, 05:53 PM
I too think it's ok as is.

Ron_L
03-14-2008, 06:31 PM
just to play it out a bit...

You'd have a thread in the comps forum saying "XXX is happening on May 3. Contact xxx to sign up" and no subsequent posts since they'd be off topic? Then to discuss individual categories (is shrimp considered seafood?), logistics, whatever you'd have to jump into the subforum?

Seems like it could easily balloon into a big job for mods when people don't post in the right place. Say you allow rollcall in comps. I post "SIDE just signed up." Wes replies "You said you would never go back there!" Wes's post technically should get moved to the comp talk area, but who the hell was he talking to?!!! It's now out of context.

That's not the way I interpret it, SIDE. All of the posts related to an event would be in the events forum, so the announcement, roll call, logistics, results, etc. would be in that forum. Discussions about competitions in general, not a specific event, like turn ins, the best canopy to use, etc. would be in the Comp Talk forum since they aren't related to a specific event.

I voted for choice three, but I really don't have a strong opinion. I can see both sides of the coin, so to speak :rolleyes:

txschutte
03-14-2008, 07:12 PM
I like the idea of events subforum. Events in Ca. and NY. really don't pertain to me, so I really don't like wading through those.

MilitantSquatter
03-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I thought I knew what was going on before you posted this but this just might be the most confusing poll options ever. :confused: Your text explanation is not much better :biggrin:

ThomEmery
03-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Split er up

txschutte
03-14-2008, 07:47 PM
State of the Comp Forum Address. Live at 11, with the duck and alpaca.

BBQchef33
03-14-2008, 08:24 PM
That's not the way I interpret it, SIDE. All of the posts related to an event would be in the events forum, so the announcement, roll call, logistics, results, etc. would be in that forum. Discussions about competitions in general, not a specific event, like turn ins, the best canopy to use, etc. would be in the Comp Talk forum since they aren't related to a specific event.

I voted for choice three, but I really don't have a strong opinion. I can see both sides of the coin, so to speak :rolleyes:

Rons got it right.

A contest, its roll call, its specifics, its categories, all go in the event forum. That would include discussion about its categories, logistics, whos going, etc..

Oics of turn-in boxes for critiques, competition techniques, equipment, how to's, general discussion would go in Comp talk.

watg?
03-14-2008, 09:04 PM
:roll:I guess I am just an ole dog that doesnt like new tricks, and I ain't fond of change, if it aint boke, dont fix it!

big brother smoke
03-14-2008, 09:05 PM
2 sub forums

StLouQue
03-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Darned nice of you guys to ask. It doesn't really matter to me. I primarily browse new posts, anyway. The only point of my post was to thank you for considering the opinions of the membership. VOTE PHIL '09

big blue bbq
03-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I think splitting it up may be ok. I like to be able to find the comps and who did what and generally they get into different posts and are a little hard to keep up with. Having them in one space could make that easier, and if or when my canopy breaks I would not have to wade thru that to start the fight over whose is better these days. Sign me up.

nthole
03-14-2008, 09:29 PM
I voted for leaving it alone. There aren't that many posts that it's so difficult to find what you need.

But I'll visit 'em both if you split 'em, so whatever will work.

SmokeInDaEye
03-14-2008, 09:44 PM
I voted for leaving it alone. There aren't that many posts that it's so difficult to find what you need.

But I'll visit 'em both if you split 'em, so whatever will work.

I agree. Do whatever the consensus is, but compared to other sections, there's not that much to wade through here. And although some may get annoyed by another "rate my turn-in" or "what's the best canopy" thread, those are what many of us have refined our own comp skills from.

Would dividing them up keep season vets from venturing in to lend advice or a pat on the back?

Again, just my take on it for whatever it's worth.

Sawdustguy
03-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I like Poobah's idea for two subforums. Sometimes there are some good threads lost between all of the Comp Announcements and Roll Calls.

striped pig
03-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I think Neil hit it right - there aren't that many threads in the comp header to keep up with. If you guys find it easier, I'll read both, but my vote is to leave it alone. ...........stan

ZBQ
03-14-2008, 11:13 PM
And although some may get annoyed by another "rate my turn-in" or "what's the best canopy" thread, those are what many of us have refined our own comp skills from.

I know I have asked my share of comp questions and my first comp was a sucess instead of a train wreck because of the help and advice I recieved from The Brothers.

Would dividing them up keep season vets from venturing in to lend advice or a pat on the back?

Valid point.
Promoting and teaching BBQ is what The Brethren are about.
It's a possiblity but who knows?

Just thinking out loud.

BBQchef33
03-14-2008, 11:41 PM
please be clear... NO ONE complained here..

This was 100% me. I was looking for some info, and I noticed we have a huge amount of contest threads and roll calls. I had to wade thru all the contest stuff just to find some general info.

Contest stuff comprises probably 70-80% of the forum.. More so recently, probably because the seasons spinning up.

What I was thinking was just to offload the event announcements to a separate place, keeping the informational and educational stuff in the existing forum.

but..im listening. keep going... seems like a dead even split.. 30 for a split, 31 to stay as of this post.

Rockaway BeachBQ
03-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I agree that people looking for help will get more in a general forum, if split many of us will probably check an advice forum less often.

ThomEmery
03-15-2008, 12:22 AM
How do you guys read the forum?
I just look at new posts 4 or 5 times a day

AzQer
03-15-2008, 12:31 AM
I like a seperatation between comps and info would be nice

BBQchef33
03-15-2008, 12:45 AM
I agree that people looking for help will get more in a general forum, if split many of us will probably check an advice forum less often.

rockaway... please 'splain.. :confused:

u think if events and general info is split, people will only hang out in the events forum?

Jeff_in_KC
03-15-2008, 01:28 AM
If it ain't broke...

Don't want an extra "click" to get to where I want to go. Generally speaking, it doesn't seem all that useful to me to have "sub forums".

The_Kapn
03-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Like Jeff said--"If it ain't broke...." :lol:

TIM

ThomEmery
03-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Improvements can be made to functioning systems :)

BBQchef33
03-15-2008, 10:04 PM
right.. it aint broke,

but it also aint perfect.

:mrgreen: my dad taught me that..

Sledneck
03-17-2008, 12:45 PM
right.. it aint broke,

but it also aint perfect.

:mrgreen: my dad taught me that..
Speak for yourself, i aint broke and i am perfect:roll:

Rockaway BeachBQ
03-17-2008, 12:59 PM
rockaway... please 'splain.. :confused:

u think if events and general info is split, people will only hang out in the events forum?

I think people like myself who don't always have as much as time as they would like to read the board will skip over the general info section. I am always checking the comp section for contest news, even if my current job may only allow me to hit one or two if any.

BBQchef33
03-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Im still lost.. so are you saying its a good thing,or bad thing.?? its easier to find just the contests, but people then may not benefit from a general info thread you may have opened if u saw it. ??

YankeeBBQ
03-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Im still lost.. so are you saying its a good thing,or bad thing.?? its easier to find just the contests, but people then may not benefit from a general info thread you may have opened if u saw it. ??

Yes
err
No
uh
Maybe

Fark it ! The person above is a moron in my pants because.......They can't spell snot

BBQchef33
03-17-2008, 02:20 PM
gee thanks..

s-n-o-t.

41-46 against the split. unless theres a rush.. looks like its staying as-is.

SmokeInDaEye
03-17-2008, 09:27 PM
gee thanks..

s-n-o-t.

41-46 against the split. unless theres a rush.. looks like its staying as-is.

SOLD to stay the same!

BBQchef33
03-17-2008, 10:14 PM
not yet. poll closes Friday.

StLouQue
03-17-2008, 10:59 PM
not yet. poll closes Friday.

Please tell me you didn't consent to our Texas brethren filing caucus votes? :icon_bugeyed

Kirk
03-18-2008, 06:29 PM
... All of the posts related to an event would be in the events forum, so the announcement, roll call, logistics, results, etc. would be in that forum. Discussions about competitions in general, not a specific event, like turn ins, the best canopy to use, etc. would be in the Comp Talk forum since they aren't related to a specific event....
I like the way you think Pooh. I was just thinking about this Monday as I was looking at all the new comp threads. I was going to start a thread asking for help with my pork entries but I figured it would just get lost amongst all those event threads. I voted same as you did.

ZILLA
03-18-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm all for making things easy to find. Two separate forums is my choice.

Neal
03-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Leave it.

YankeeBBQ
03-23-2008, 11:42 AM
How about subforums for UDS's and Fatties in the Qtalk forum ?

LindaM
03-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Now I see why Phil didn't get elected. Only 124 people cared to vote.....
Lets do better next year.