PDA

View Full Version : Small Eclosed Trailers for Comps-Need Advice

swamprb
03-14-2008, 07:49 AM
I thinking of a 5x8 Enclosed trailer to haul around my comp gear this year. Heard pros and cons about ramp vs barn doors, horse trailers, curb height, V-nose, tongue weight etc. Craigslist is my friend and I've seen many used ones that appear to be in good shape from the pics, but up close and personal you never know. I know Wells Cargo, Haulmark and Interstate seem to be the big names with good reputations(?) Any that I should shy away from? Any points to check for wear or abuse? Most all the used ones seem to be set up for dirtbikes and have 4 point tie downs. I found this recent link that touched on a few good points, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38718&highlight=5x8+Enclosed+Trailer

Anything you can think of to give me a little bit more ammo to shoot with while I'm looking would be appreciated! I have a Toyota Sienna with an electric brake controller for my tent trailer and a 4.3L S-10 to tow with (for now) and will haul drums and WSM's.

Thanks for the help!

YankeeBBQ
03-14-2008, 11:24 AM
I thinking of a 5x8 Enclosed trailer to haul around my comp gear this year. Heard pros and cons about ramp vs barn doors, horse trailers, curb height, V-nose, tongue weight etc. Craigslist is my friend and I've seen many used ones that appear to be in good shape from the pics, but up close and personal you never know. I know Wells Cargo, Haulmark and Interstate seem to be the big names with good reputations(?) Any that I should shy away from? Any points to check for wear or abuse? Most all the used ones seem to be set up for dirtbikes and have 4 point tie downs. I found this recent link that touched on a few good points, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38718&highlight=5x8+Enclosed+Trailer

Anything you can think of to give me a little bit more ammo to shoot with while I'm looking would be appreciated! I have a Toyota Sienna with an electric brake controller for my tent trailer and a 4.3L S-10 to tow with (for now) and will haul drums and WSM's.

Thanks for the help!

One thing to keep in mind is that the brand of the trailer doesn't necesarrily indicate the quality of the trailer. The manafacturers have 2 or 3 different categories of trailers. Light, medium and heavy duty. Some are single axle some are multiple. My dual axle trailer pulls great. I've towed some single axle trailers and they tend to sway more.

Scottie
03-14-2008, 11:40 AM
It seems that the trailer might put some wear and tear on some trucks though.... :shock:

Sawdustguy
03-14-2008, 10:43 PM
PM Vinny. Thats how he hauls his stuff from comp to comp. He uses a 5 x 8 Haulmark.

MilitantSquatter
03-15-2008, 01:51 PM
PM Vinny. Thats how he hauls his stuff from comp to comp. He uses a 5 x 8 Haulmark.

Hi Brian - just replied in more detail to your PM.

5 x 8's can work just fine if your cooker fits and you're efficient in the amount of supplies you bring and how you pack it all up.