PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done the Barry rd,NKC contest?

thenewguy
03-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm thinking of doing this for my first(ever) contest.
Just wondering if it would be a good eye opener or not. Thanks in advance! Mike.

MoKanMeathead
03-10-2008, 04:24 PM
We are considering it this year - if it gets 25 + teams. Kind of expensive (for around here) and only pays out 3 places in each category, no electric, and small spaces. I know a couple of teams that did it last year and they had no complaints about how it was run.

Neal
03-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I think you get free meat...for what it's worth. Pretty sure it's one brisket, one butt, two racks and a package of chicken...can't say for sure as I haven't cooked it. But that seems like a nice perk.

thenewguy
03-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Yup, that's what you get. I thought that really helped "offset" the price of the comp, the payouts don't seem that high-like I have a snoball's chance of getting high marks.
I was thinking that the hy-vee being so close would help for all those "awww,chit" moments of things I forgot to bring.
They told me around 44 teams.

Neal
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
You are right...probably not a bad place to start. A few cuts of free meat and a 24hr supply center just a few steps away would be nice. The only bad thing I can see is that they have no power available, as Wayne pointed out. If you have a generator, or if you don't need power it's not a big deal...I would think the lights in the parking lot will keep things pretty well lit too.

Heavy D
03-11-2008, 10:00 AM
We did this one last year and enjoyed it. The lack of power was no big deal, as the parking lot lights helped. The meat they gave us was of okay quality, not great, but on the other hand, we've had worse!

We're doing it again this year. We like the small comps, as we are just a few guys getting out of the house to drink some adult beverages.

In addition, we're hoping the KCFD shows up again this year. They stopped by last year and hung out for a while, and ended up taking us for a spin in the truck (and let one of my teamates drive the rig in the parking lot next door!)

ole'e
03-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I did this one last year. Not a bad contest, it was well run. The meat was a nice perk and having a 24hr Hyvee at your service. Probably a good first contest.

KC_Bobby
03-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Is this not sanctioned? I thought KCBS sanctioned events had to pay out top 5????

Kung Fu BBQ
03-11-2008, 12:26 PM
We've done it the last two years as our season opener. We're passing on it this year for no particular reason. The lot is pretty loud at night at least where we were set up, right at the loading dock entrance. Those trucks start coming in early.

And yes the hyvee is a bonus, nice clean cool toilets at your disposal.

I'm not partial to contests in parking lots, but this one was pretty friendly.

MoKanMeathead
03-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Is this not sanctioned? I thought KCBS sanctioned events had to pay out top 5????

You are correct here is a quote from the sanctioning application -

5. Guarantee and pay prize monies as published/advertised to at least 5
places plus a Reserve Grand Champion and Grand Champion.
This amount may not be reduced after sanctioning and advertising.

Wonder how they get around that?

The Pickled Pig
03-11-2008, 02:53 PM
You are correct here is a quote from the sanctioning application -

5. Guarantee and pay prize monies as published/advertised to at least 5
places plus a Reserve Grand Champion and Grand Champion.
This amount may not be reduced after sanctioning and advertising.

Wonder how they get around that?

I don't know the answer but can think of other KCBS sanctioned contests that only call the Top 3. There must be some type of exemption.

KC_Bobby
03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
maybe grandfathered?????