PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Practice Cook (Apr 25-26), Eagle, MI

Spydermike72
02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
The GLBBQA is pleased to announce that we will be holding a Practice Cook on April 25 and 26 at The Eagle Park in Eagle MI.

Shake off the Winter blues, tune up the pit and join us for a fun Practice Cook. Arrive Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Turn in all 4 meats or compete with meats you can cook on Saturday. In any event, we will have judging on Saturday at the traditional turn in times and cash awards and prizes in all four categories. Not to mention "Bragging Rights"!! Judging will conform to KCBS style rules.

$$ Amounts will be based upon the number of people that enter:
Raffles will also be held for some great prizes!!!!

We need Judges!! Please contact Theresa or Michael if you would like to be a Judge.

Eagle Park will open on Friday afternoon and has restrooms, water (please bring your own water container), trash receptacles, ash cans, and limited electricity. In addition, they have a full kitchen facility. The park is lighted.

Turn in: Noon Chicken
12:30 PM Ribs
1:00 PM Pork
1:30 PM - Brisket

Come on out for a great time!!
See you in April!

Questions?? E-Mail: Mike Terry at mterry@glbbqa.com or Theresa Munroe at tmandb17@comcast.net Subject: GLBBQA April Cook off.

Proceeds to benefit GLBBQA Charities.
Entry fee: Saturday = $35.00
Friday and Saturday = $50.00

Bbq Bubba
02-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I hope the snow is done by then Mike!! :cool:

Spydermike72
02-27-2008, 02:25 PM
That makes 2 of us, and the mud is dried up!!

Spydermike72
02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
And by the way, this is open to all interested parties, you do not have to be a member of the GLBBQA...

Ford
02-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Hope you have fun. I can't get the Friday off so I'll probably end up doing a Saturday/Sunday cook at home. Depends on how soon I get the trailer finished. Still doing drawings of layout so it may be mid April till I'm ready.

michiana mark
02-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I hope the snow is done by then Mike!! :cool:

Farmers almanac has a winter storm system, and lake defect snow warning for that weekend. 18 to 20 in for the Lansing area. Just my luck.

Am trying to get Friday off work to attend, may just have to show up Sat and Judge. We'll see if Bubba has garnered any wisdom from the winter infomercial on brisket, chicken, ribs, and pork butt. There will be electricity so you can bring the microwave.:rolleyes:

Spydermike72
03-14-2008, 09:07 AM
We have some exciting news for this Practice Cook, we will have several raffles for this practice cook. The biggest one is a raffle for a free entry into the Taste of Grand Rapids KCBS event!!

We will also be raffling off a UDS/Drum Smoker made especially for this event by our own BBQ Bubba!! That alone is worth the price of 2 raffle tickets!!

This event is open to all!!

If you have any questions please feel free to contact Tonto1117 or myself.

jtwisted13
03-16-2008, 02:18 AM
just bumping this up a bit...

send Tonto a pm on other forum about judging

Ford
03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Looks like with this new assignment I might be able to make it. Need to work out getting the trailer to Eagle and then I'm sure I can do it. I hear they have great raffle prizes for the day. :-D

I figure I can put the fridge in the trailer the weekend of the 5th as it's Michigan so the snow should be gone right? :eek: Note I didn't say put in the water pump and heater! That goes in the weekend of the 19th. Plan to start the season with an EZUP and the way I'm setting it up I can still haul the golf cart.

So it's off to SAM's this weekend to get a couple of briskets to get them at least 35 days aged. :twisted: Heck it's time to buy WAMAC briskets as well.

Anybody want to be my runner? After all it's going to be at least 10 steps to the judging tent :biggrin::lol::lol::lol:

tonto1117
03-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Cool...:cool: Good to hear!! I'm sure we can find you a runner...:-P:lol:

bbqbull
03-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Ford would love to see you again at Eagel Park.
Ive got some judges lined up. Will make a call tomorrow or Friday to contact our local co. sherrif, Wayne Kangas.
Possibly got a professional chef and some other conniseurs sp? of fine quisine that I shall contact this week as wel for judges for this gig.
Also might..............and I mean might have a senior Brethren brother who may make the trip here to judge as well. Fingers crossed.
I just hope the weather holds out for the best.
Im really looking forward to this fun cook.

Bbq Bubba
03-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Sound's like it's gaining some momentum!!
Hope to see ya there Ford! UDS is complete except some decorating :shock:
I agree with you Bull, I've been doin a lot of cookin but ready to get into comp mode!! :wink:

Spydermike72
03-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Hey Ford, I know we can find a runner for you!! I hope you can make it.

Bull, please save a judging spot for my lovely bride...

bbqbull
03-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Consider it done Mike!

bbqbull
03-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Bump!

Spydermike72
03-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks Bull, This goes out to our Ohio/Indiana/Illinois and Canadian friends as well. We have a great location and it is a great time to get back in the groove. Come on out and have a good time. Dont forget we are raffling off a FREE entry to the Taste of Grand Rapids KCBS event and we will be raffling a custom made DRUM SMOKER built by our own Brother BBQ BUBBA.

bbqbull
03-25-2008, 12:55 AM
I believe I have the number of judges needed.
I have confirmations from a few, some regretable turndowns from a couple profesioanl chefs.
Spoke w/Dave Klose tonite and he would love to attend but he is unavailable.
I asked him to pencil us in for next year.
Best part is I havent thrown a trump card as of yet. In my mind...........I would rather only deal w/potential judges that are 25 yrs of age or older. Not trying to discrimanate here but just want some adult palates. Also trying to get a blend of 50/50 male/female judges.
The folks who I have contacted have a huge appreciation for fine Q.
Hope im headed in the proper direction here.

I hope that this is going to be one hell of a fun time for all folks involved. Cooks and their teams as well as the quality of judges im trying to recruit.

I want better judges than ive seen judging at sanctioned contests that ive cooked in the past.
Not slamming anybody here at all, just want a fair shake for all of us.

Spydermike72
03-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Bump!! We are getting a pretty good response but I know there are some Brethren from Michigan,Ohio,Indiana,Illinois, and Canada that have not responded. We are in a great location, and this would be a good time to get your feet wet in a comp setting if you have never cooked in one. Or you can break out the smokers and get them ready for the comp year as well as fine tune your receipes. This will be a good time!!

jtwisted13
04-01-2008, 02:08 AM
whoa makes me think what did i get into by volunteering with Tonto..lol

i am a professional eater, guess i qualify then..lol

Best part is I havent thrown a trump card as of yet. In my mind...........I would rather only deal w/potential judges that are 25 yrs of age or older. Not trying to discrimanate here but just want some adult palates. Also trying to get a blend of 50/50 male/female judges.
The folks who I have contacted have a huge appreciation for fine Q.
Hope im headed in the proper direction here.

I hope that this is going to be one hell of a fun time for all folks involved. Cooks and their teams as well as the quality of judges im trying to recruit.

I want better judges than ive seen judging at sanctioned contests that ive cooked in the past.
Not slamming anybody here at all, just want a fair shake for all of us.

tonto1117
04-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Getting really close now and wanted to bump this up with less then two weeks to go.8)
It is shaping up to be a great event with 11 teams singed up and more saying they are going to try and make it.

I also wanted to let you know we will have great raffles for the cookoff!!! We will be raffling off a FREE entry into the Taste of Grand Rapids KCBS event in July. We will also be raffling off a custom made Drum Smoker compliments of Steve Coddington(BBqBubba), as well as some other great goodies! It is also a good time to get your feet wet in the competition world without spending a lot of money. The unique setup allows for you to cook either 2 days (4 meats), like a real KCBS event, or one day (Ribs and Chicken), or whatever you can get done in time for turn in's.

FYI...These are the teams that are signed up so far.

All Day Smoke
Pork of the North
Extreme Roasters
Down Home BBQ
Dr Chuckies BBQ
Great Lakes BBQ & Feed
Smoke Eaters BBQ
Three Men and a Pig
Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ
DB BBQ
Hog Wild BBQ

So to all our Brethren in Michigan,Ohio,Indiana,Illinois, and Canada...come on out for a great weekend to cook or just say howdy and hang out!! If you have any questions please shoot me or Mike Terry(Spydermike72) a PM, or e-mail us at the addresses mentioned in post #1.

Look foward to seeing ya'll there!!!:wink:

bbqbull
04-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Bump!

Less than a week away!

Bbq Bubba
04-20-2008, 12:49 PM
So have we decided on the pot luck dinner for Friday?

I'm thinking a pot of smoked Jambalaya.

Ford
04-20-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm sure glad I'm taking Friday off. Shelves are up and so is new table. Fridge is in the cage and won't move unless I roll the trailer and maybe not even then. Still have to pack some things away and push in the 2nd FE. Cart is ready to go. Now I still need an EZUP and I still need parsley. Meat is in the fridge most of it frozen solid so I'll have Carol checking temps in the fridge all week. Right now with 50+ lb's of frozen meat it's reading 30F. And I'm done for the day. Time for a cold beer and watch the 3rd period and read today's paper.

Caorl is going to put that sand garage paint on the drop gate this week so I can walk on it without slipping and considering how BBQ sauce gets on the floor that's always an issue with my trailer. Floor has been cleaned, walls wiped down and BBQ sauce is off the ceiling. Still not sure how it got there but Carol said it was sauce.

And I'm in for a pot luck breakfast if somebody will feed me dinner. I can offer Beef tenderloin as my contribution to breakfast. And I also have a chunk of strata I can cook if there's no pot luck. But if anybody wants to make B&G or an egg casserole or HB's or even fresh and hot Krispy Kremes original I'll supply the beef. Note: Krispy Kreme originals that are day old heat up great in a Lang pit - wrap in foil and heat for about 20 minutes. I will bring my own Herman's Boy mix of coffee and of course a breakfast cigar.

michiana mark
04-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Well, got the word from work that I can take off friday to come up. The Mayor of Edwardsburg (Honorary title), the wife,
and I will be headed up for the event.

Don't worry Bubba, I saw Zak this weekend and he decoded the log for me.. That was "blue" wasn't it.

Add Roadmaster BBQ to the list.

Bbq Bubba
04-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Well, got the word from work that I can take off friday to come up. The Mayor of Edwardsburg (Honorary title), the wife,
and I will be headed up for the event.

Don't worry Bubba, I saw Zak this weekend and he decoded the log for me.. That was "blue" wasn't it.

Add Roadmaster BBQ to the list.

Bringing the Bling?? :twisted::cool:

Better yet, bringing a drum or will you be picking one up? :wink:

bbqbull
04-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Cant wait for Friday to arrive.
Im pretty excited to meet everyone and just have some fun for a change.
Our local weatherman said were in for some storms but hell that can change in a heartbeat.
I will bring my portable radio that I/we can listen to the weather spotters if things get kinda ugly.
I too am a trained weather spotter and I hate doing comps in the rain/storms.
Grand Rapids Mi. in 2002 was very bad nite for us.
Not sure what to bring for the potluck.
If we can bring something to add to the pot, please let me know.
Also talked with the owner of the party store acrossed the street from the park.
He will be checking on us to see if we need ice....ect.
This should be a great amount of fun for sure.

michiana mark
04-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Bringing the Bling?? :twisted::cool:

Better yet, bringing a drum or will you be picking one up? :wink:

Will be bringing the Gator, drums not finished yet. 700sq. ft. of hardwood floor got in the way of that project. Will leave room for drum though in back of truck.

tonto1117
04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Glad to hear you can make it Mark!! Do you want to take part in the Friday night Potluck dinner??

So have we decided on the pot luck dinner for Friday?

I'm thinking a pot of smoked Jambalaya.

Sounds delicious!!! Bring it on!!

I will be bringing a large pan of smoked Italian sausage, onoin & peppers for hoagies and a pan of cheesy potato's.

Cant wait for Friday to arrive.
Im pretty excited to meet everyone and just have some fun for a change.
Our local weatherman said were in for some storms but hell that can change in a heartbeat.
I will bring my portable radio that I/we can listen to the weather spotters if things get kinda ugly.
I too am a trained weather spotter and I hate doing comps in the rain/storms.
Grand Rapids Mi. in 2002 was very bad nite for us.
Not sure what to bring for the potluck.
If we can bring something to add to the pot, please let me know.
Also talked with the owner of the party store acrossed the street from the park.
He will be checking on us to see if we need ice....ect.
This should be a great amount of fun for sure.

There not calling for a washout...just a chance of storms, keeping my fingers crossed. I'm sure anything you bring for the potluck will be great!!

And I'm in for a pot luck breakfast if somebody will feed me dinner. I can offer Beef tenderloin as my contribution to breakfast. And I also have a chunk of strata I can cook if there's no pot luck. But if anybody wants to make B&G or an egg casserole or HB's or even fresh and hot Krispy Kremes original I'll supply the beef. Note: Krispy Kreme originals that are day old heat up great in a Lang pit - wrap in foil and heat for about 20 minutes. I will bring my own Herman's Boy mix of coffee and of course a breakfast cigar.

Sounds good Ford, We have the Krispy Kremes coverd and I will also have Sausage gravy and biscuts for breakfast as well.Got the Clonsickle in the freezer setting up for Sat. morning shot at 8:30.:cool:

Really looking foward to it. Come onnnn Friday!!!!

michiana mark
04-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Sure Tonto, count the Misses and I in for potluck. Will bring some sort of dish to pass, if that's the ticket. Should arrive before 5:00.

michiana mark
04-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Smokers cleaned, loaded, and preped. Lawn is mowed, bbq tools rounded up, waiting on friday.

Spydermike72
04-22-2008, 04:11 PM
I am not sure what to bring for the potluck, I wont be cooking so I am not sure what to bring... Any suggestions ??

Ford
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Smokers cleaned, loaded, and preped. Lawn is mowed, bbq tools rounded up, waiting on friday.
I'm real interested to see how you transport that lawn but bet it's nice to walk on.:twisted:

Ford
04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I plan to bring some pig candy if I can get it cooked in time. When is the dinner? I may need to fire up a second FE.

Spydermike72
04-22-2008, 09:03 PM
I plan to bring some pig candy if I can get it cooked in time. When is the dinner? I may need to fire up a second FE.

How about we do dinner at 6:00pm, the same time as the "Cooks Meeting" ?? Any objections ??

bbqbull
04-22-2008, 11:12 PM
How about we do dinner at 6:00pm, the same time as the "Cooks Meeting" ?? Any objections ??

Mike......do you think all the chief cooks will be on premise at six?

Spydermike72
04-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Mike......do you think all the chief cooks will be on premise at six?

Dont know, if not I will catch up with them when they do make it.

BTW, I am bringing brownies for the potluck!!

Ford
04-24-2008, 05:44 AM
I agree with Bull that 6 might be a little early for some cooking onsite. How about 7:30 for food?

Spydermike72
04-24-2008, 08:35 AM
I agree with Bull that 6 might be a little early for some cooking onsite. How about 7:30 for food?

How about 7:00pm ?? You know I am an old guy and I usually eat at 4:00pm... :-D

tonto1117
04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
How about 7:00pm ?? You know I am an old guy and I usually eat at 4:00pm... :-D

7:00pm sounds good to me! Looking foward to it....see ya'll there tommorow..:biggrin:

tonto1117
04-24-2008, 10:05 AM
FYI.......Up to date Team List:

All Day Smoke

Pork of the North

Extreme Roasters

Down Home BBQ

Hog Wild BBQ

Dr Chuckie's BBQ

Great Lakes BBQ and Feed BBQ

Smoke Eaters BBQ

Three Men and a Butt BBQ

Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ

DB BBQ

BavarianSmoke BBQ

Roadmaster BBQ

Hickory BBQ

Scottie
04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Tell Chuckie he is weak for not coming back to Westmont this year... 8-)

You folks have fun. We'll see everyone this summer...

Scottie

tonto1117
04-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Tell Chuckie he is weak for not coming back to Westmont this year... 8-)

You folks have fun. We'll see everyone this summer...

Scottie

Thanks Scottie!! Jeff Clark called me a few days back and said Chuckie was up there with his new Hummer last weekend playing around in the Dunes....me thinks that's where his comp $$$ have gone for the year....lol...but I'll tell him..:tongue:

smoke-n-my-i's
04-24-2008, 06:34 PM
whoa makes me think what did i get into by volunteering with Tonto..lol

I will have to send you a sympathy card..... :biggrin:

Sounds like you all are going to have a great time. I would love to be there, but will be cooking in a ribfest on Saturday. Have fun, enjoy yourselves, and don't eat too much... :wink: I know you wouldn't even think of it.

Don't forget the pics.... remember da rulz... no pic, didn't happen.

bbqbull
04-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Im half assed ready, had the Klose mobile on fire 2 times this afternoon.
Cleaned it with weed burner and grill brush.
Im hoping and praying the storms will move around us as well as the rain.
See you folks tomorrow sometime.
Going back to packing tools now.
Have a safe ride to Eagle Michigan.
Be advised orange barrels are up and some minor traffic delays this afternoon.

Bbq Bubba
04-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Finally loaded at 10:00, should be up about noonish tomorrow, hoping for good weather and thin blue smoke!! :cool:

tonto1117
04-25-2008, 05:31 AM
Finally loaded at 10:00, should be up about noonish tomorrow, hoping for good weather and thin blue smoke!! :cool:

Noonish..:eek:....what happend to 10ish....:rolleyes:....lol.See ya there, sounds like you might want to bring some waders..:evil:

tonto1117
04-25-2008, 05:34 AM
I will have to send you a sympathy card..... :biggrin:

Sounds like you all are going to have a great time. I would love to be there, but will be cooking in a ribfest on Saturday. Have fun, enjoy yourselves, and don't eat too much... :wink: I know you wouldn't even think of it.

Don't forget the pics.... remember da rulz... no pic, didn't happen.

Smart ash...:tongue: Wish ya lived closer Bill, we'll catch ya somtime this season!!

Spydermike72
04-25-2008, 07:04 AM
I am just about ready, I will be loading my truck and getting on the road, I should be there around 10ish... I am glad we have a pavillion!!

Ford
04-25-2008, 07:37 AM
I'll be there when I finish loading. Now that could be noon but more likely 2 or 3. Still putting stuff back in the trailer. And who cares about rain. I'll bungee one side of the ezup to my trailer and the other to the truck. If it goes up then we may be in Ohio or Ontario before we land.

Neil
04-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Hope the weather is holding as it is here. The wifey and I should be up around 11 to see how everyone is doing.

Spydermike72
04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Hope the weather is holding as it is here. The wifey and I should be up around 11 to see how everyone is doing.

Yeah you farker!! First you win a WSM and now a Drum Smoker!!! :cool:

Congrats Bro!!!

Bbq Bubba
04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Congrats ya farker!!!

Spydermike72
04-26-2008, 10:03 PM
This Guy is happy!!!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/spydermike72/037.jpg

Spydermike72
04-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Holding up the tradition!!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/spydermike72/020.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/spydermike72/021.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/spydermike72/022.jpg

Neil
04-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks again everyone, I don't have much time today but I must cook on the new UDS so I'll throw a couple of fatties and some chicken breasts on then it will be off to Lowes to buy a cover for it since its suppose to rain tonight. Mike, thanks for the opportunity to judge the contest. The wife and I really enjoyed learning about what goes on behind the judges tent, NJ Mike gave us some really good info. We are going to plan on taking a KCBS judging class. Last but not least, double thank yous out to Steve Coddington for making and donating the UDS for the raffle. I really like the fire basket handle and caster dolly.

Ford
04-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Pretty good butt whipping they put on this weekend. Looks like they did take notes at those classes. Maybe they don't need that FE after all. And if you want to sell it let me know. I could add to my collection of old beat up FE's.

Thanks to the GLBBQA for putting on this event and to BBQBull for the site. Except for the Michigan weather it was excellent.

To all the Brethren there, good seeing people again after a long winter.

Ron_L
04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Pretty good butt whipping they put on this weekend. Looks like they did take notes at those classes. Maybe they don't need that FE after all. And if you want to sell it let me know. I could add to my collection of old beat up FE's.

Who? Who whipped your butts? The implication is that the Smokin' Scotsmen did, but can someone let us know for sure?

Congrats on the UDS, Neil!

Spydermike72
04-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Who? Who whipped your butts? The implication is that the Smokin' Scotsmen did, but can someone let us know for sure?

Congrats on the UDS, Neil!

I guess that would be me... Real Quick here are the top 5 overall from our practice cook:

1. Smoking Scotsmen
2. Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co
3. Pork of the North
4. All Day Smoke
5. Hickory BBQ

I will post full results later, It was a great time and it was good to see some good friends after a long winter and what a spread of food Friday night!!

Oh and thanks Walt and Theresa for giving me a shot of Jack Saturday morning, it has been 15 years since I have had Jack!! :cool:

Ron_L
04-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Mike! Congrats to the Scotsmen and everyone else!

Solidkick
04-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Congrats to all......

And Neil.....with your luck, there's probably 50 teams here that would take you on as a member! Congrats on the UDS!

Spydermike72
04-27-2008, 08:38 PM
As promised earlier here are the results for all categories:

Chicken:
1. Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co *
2. Hog Wild BBQ
3. Smoking Scotsmen *
4. Hickory BBQ
5. Smokeeaters*
6. Dr Chuckie
7. DB BBQ
8. All Day Smoke
9. Pork of the North

Ribs:
1. Pork of the North
2. 3 Men and a Butt
3. Dr Chuckie
4. Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co *
5. All Day Smoke
6. Smoking Scotsmen *
7. DB BBQ
8. Smokeaters *
9. Hog Wild
10. Hickory BBQ

Pork:
1. Smoking Scotsmen *
2. Pork of the North
3. All Day Smoke
5. Hickory BBQ
6. 3 Men and a Butt
7. Smokeaters *
8. Hog Wild
9. DB BBQ

Brisket:
1. Smoking Scotsmen *
2. Smokeaters *
3. All Day Smoke
5. Hickory BBQ
6. Dr Chuckie
7. Pork of the North
8. DB BBQ
9. 3 Men and a Butt
10. Hog Wild

Grand Champion = Smoking Scotsmen *
Reserve = Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co *
3. All Day Smoke
4. Pork of the North
5. Hickory BBQ
6. Smokeaters *
7. DB BBQ
8. Hog Wild
9. Dr Chuckie
10. 3 Men and a Butt

It was a great time!! Great job by all who showed up!! We had a great location and the community was really great!! Thanks to Theresea of Smoking Scotsmen for all of her help and to Bbqbull for all of his help in helping us get the location. Thanks to both of you!!

Also Neil won the Custom Built UDS compliments of Bbq Bubba, congrats to Neil (the luckiest farker I know!!!) and thanks Bbq Bubba for the donation.

And the winner of a free entry into the Taste of Grand Rapids KCBS event is none other than myself!! WooHoo!!

Thanks to everyone who participated or helped in any way!!

* = Brethren Team

Bbq Bubba
04-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Our own BBQ Bull in his comp. position....

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7605/mipracticecookoff006hg8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Joe on the left, who joined us thru the Brethren mentoring program!!
Crewdawg and Bud from the Scotsmen...

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3254/mipracticecookoff007rg3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Ford's nearly famous Beef tenderloin for breakfast...

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9594/mipracticecookoff014ws0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Keeping up with tradition, the 8:30 Clonesicle...
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8590/mipracticecookoff016rt2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

My cousin, DB BBQ, another member of the Michigan Drum Corp......

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7608/mipracticecookoff022nx9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Friday nite potluck was incredible....

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5205/mipracticecookoff010ul2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bud with his First place Brisket trophy!
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9536/mipracticecookoff031pm7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By imn88fan (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/imn88fan)

Great weekend, weather sucked (as usual) nice to see everybody after a longass winter!!
Was a great pleasure meeting BBQ Bull.....i think I spent the nite moderating him.....:cool:

Bring on the Comp. season!! :biggrin:

bbqbull
04-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Bubba thanks for the cool photo of me chillin w/my security force circling the wagon......or my Klose mobile pit.
I was trying to enjoy the spring weather before the artic blast hit us very hard.
When the weather gods opened up on us and my security team. We were soaked to the bone while you slept in your truck you luck fark.
I sure had one of the best times ever at a comp. this time ever.
Thanks for the cool photos Steve!

Bud's BBQ
04-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Great weekend and great to meet the "Michigan Mafia" cook teams coming out of hibernation - Winter Thaw is an apt name for the event. Tonto and I got wind burn and wet, but that's Michigan weather in April.
BBQ Bull, thanks for all your help in arranging a great venue for the first annual practice cook.
Upon arrival at home on Saturday afternoon, a huge old maple in our back yard had been blown down - thank goodness, into the woods and not on the house!!! Aaah, more firewood for next season.

Again, thanks to all for an outstanding event.

tonto1117
04-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Big thanks to everyone that came out and made this a great event despite the weather.....sheesh...sunburn on friday and 83* degrees and 50mph winds, rain and 40's* on Saturday....:roll: Bull, thanks for all your help on this one!!!.....is your ez-up salvageable??:icon_shy Oh, and I'm shipping my dog off to you....Maggie seems to really be missing Ruby!!!:tongue:

See some of you in Wamac next weekend...:-D

Edit: A big Congrat's to Neil on winning the Drum :eusa_clap......what are the odds????:eek::mrgreen:...Two in a row!!!!!

smoke-n-my-i's
04-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Looked like a great weekend for the Brethren members.....

"T", did you guys get my phone message I left on Saturday???? sure you did.... :biggrin:

Rolling Smoke
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Big thanks to everyone that came out and made this a great event despite the weather.....sheesh...sunburn on friday and 83* degrees and 50mph winds, rain and 40's* on Saturday....:roll: Bull, thanks for all your help on this one!!!.....is your ez-up salvageable??:icon_shy Oh, and I'm shipping my dog off to you....Maggie seems to really be missing Ruby!!!:tongue:

See some of you in Wamac next weekend...:-D

Edit: A big Congrat's to Neil on winning the Drum :eusa_clap......what are the odds????:eek::mrgreen:...Two in a row!!!!!

Congrats on the win Tonto and you say you'll be doing Wamac next weekend? That's two contests in a row isn't it? I guess you gave up on cutting bait and decided to fish instead :wink:

crewdawg52
04-28-2008, 10:59 AM
As everyone else has stated..... Great big thanks to Mike and Bruce for putting on a geat time. Next time, make sure its warmer :mrgreen: (too cold and windy the 2nd day). BBQBull, my thanks to you for the venue. Fantastic place to have a cook.

Big thanks again to all involved. I'm sure I missed some....sorry bout that.

tonto1117
04-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Upon arrival at home on Saturday afternoon, a huge old maple in our back yard had been blown down - thank goodness, into the woods and not on the house!!! Aaah, more firewood for next season.

I know we all talked about the incredible winds we had Friday night into Saturday.....this is what we got home to on Satuday night. This is taken from the second story familyroom/kitchen area.You can see how close to the house it is.....all in all very lucky it didn't come down the other way :shock:. Weird thing is, it was always slighty leaning towards the house, but was healthy, so we never worried about it.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2027/1000907eg7.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3550/1000906hq1.jpg

Bbq Bubba
04-29-2008, 02:58 PM
I know we all talked about the incredible winds we had Friday night into Saturday.....this is what we got home to on Satuday night. This is taken from the second story familyroom/kitchen area.You can see how close to the house it is.....all in all very lucky it didn't come down the other way :shock:. Weird thing is, it was always slighty leaning towards the house, but was healthy, so we never worried about it.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2027/1000907eg7.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3550/1000906hq1.jpg

Nice score on some Maple...........:twisted: