PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to this comp? ? ?

smoke-n-my-i's
02-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Right under the information for your name, address, etc is the fine print....

** Electricity, water, and RV Hook-up will NOT be available to participants on the festival site.

There is a $250 entry fee for the four KCBS categories, until 30 days before the event, then it goes to $300.

The link on the KCBS site does not take you to the event, so I email them. I finally got the information sometime late Saturday or Sunday.

I just sent them back an email stating that if there was no water for cleaning, lighting, don't look for us. I don't feel it is very sanitary to cook without water..... :eek:

Fredbird
02-18-2008, 10:29 AM
You could carry water in and bring a generator. But I wouldn't pay $250 for the trouble.:frown:

Divemaster
02-18-2008, 10:43 AM
I agree, the price is steap for what they are giving you... What's the pay-out???

Podge
02-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Right under the information for your name, address, etc is the fine print....

** Electricity, water, and RV Hook-up will NOT be available to participants on the festival site.

There is a $250 entry fee for the four KCBS categories, until 30 days before the event, then it goes to $300.

The link on the KCBS site does not take you to the event, so I email them. I finally got the information sometime late Saturday or Sunday.

I just sent them back an email stating that if there was no water for cleaning, lighting, don't look for us. I don't feel it is very sanitary to cook without water..... :eek:

for $250, they better have elec. and water available somewhere on site. Most other contests in that price range do, so just look past that contest and find a better one. Survival of the fittest.

BBQchef33
02-18-2008, 10:47 AM
We've done a contest with no electric or water, but I would NOT do it for that price.

Scottie
02-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Exactly right Phil. I've done them like that before, but I also have 2 generators and 175 gallons of water on my RV... but it sure would make me think twice about the entry fee. Unless they had an outstanding prize fund that would make me forget.. I have a short term memory problem when they flash $$$ signs... 8-)

Kung Fu BBQ
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
too steep

billm
02-18-2008, 11:03 AM
unless its a day only rib burn..then no

smoke-n-my-i's
02-18-2008, 11:07 AM
The big reason I was looking at this one is, that it is only about 60 miles from home....

They only show GC at $2500....

Here is a note I just got back from him.... that was a QUICK response...

Bill,

We will be changing the info. We will be providing shared electricity and
water. We will also have RV hook-ups available at a separate location - not
far from the event location.

Thanks for your note.

Stephen

smoke-n-my-i's
02-18-2008, 11:07 AM
So, with all of that out of the way, it looks like they are back on my list . . . .
:biggrin: :eusa_clap :razz:

BBQchef33
02-18-2008, 12:21 PM
The big reason I was looking at this one is, that it is only about 60 miles from home....

They only show GC at $2500....

Here is a note I just got back from him.... that was a QUICK response...

Bill,

We will be changing the info. We will be providing shared electricity and
water. We will also have RV hook-ups available at a separate location - not
far from the event location.

Thanks for your note.

Stephen

i dont know what your electricity requirments are, But 'shared' may mean your sharing a 15-20 amp outlet with other teams instead of getting your own 15-20.

thats ok if you and your neighbors are just running lighting, but can be a prob if you have a fridge or 2 or something else heavy on it.

and water, is it a hookup u can patch into, or are you carrying buckets?

Roo-B-Q'N
02-18-2008, 12:41 PM
While the original question has been solved, doesn't KCBS require water to be provided?

smoke-n-my-i's
02-18-2008, 01:34 PM
While the original question has been solved, doesn't KCBS require water to be provided?

Not that I can see in the 2008 rules and regulations. The only things I can find are:

4. Contestants shall provide all needed equipment, supplies
and electricity, except as arranged for in advance.
Contestants must adhere to all electrical, fire and other codes.
A fire extinguisher shall be near all cooking devices.

15. The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:
A. No use of any tobacco products while handling meat.
B. Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks,
cooking device(s) and the teamís assigned cooking
space is required.
C. Shirt and shoes are required to be worn.
D. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with
the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of
water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.

So, as long as the contestant is clean, you provide the bleach water, and you have the 3 separate washing areas, it is ok not to have water..... :eek:

stlgreg
02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I would cook in a conetst that did not provivde water and electricity.
However, using the early part of the post as a guide. For 250 i would not participate.

Ashmont
02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Just doesn't look appealing to me......

The_Kapn
02-18-2008, 03:22 PM
This is a pet peeve of mine.

IF the event is a small, unsanctioned "rib cook" or something with little or no entry fees or prize purse--we can "figure out something" to just have fun and compete that day. FUN COOK!!!!!

IF the contest is sanctioned (by any organization), charging entry fees, and offering prize money----they need to provide running water for sanitation purposes!
PVC and faucets are CHEAP and can be stored for the next time if needed.
Electricity? Different logistics there and.....I stay flexible. But, any decent event should be able to provide 15 amps or so.

I just looked hard at a contest that was offering some really FINE prize money. Turned out to be one of those "downtown festivals" with water you had to "tote" and no provision for waste water discharge.
I passed on that one!
Lots of money to promote and pay, but no concern for sanitation. :twisted:

Some teams have self-contained trailers with electric and water available. To them, all this is of no concern.
I hope to be there someday :oops:
I have actually figured out how to cook a contest with no water.
Lots of disposable pans and foil. Spray bottles of water, cleanser, bleach, etc and wipe down with lots of paper towels.
It can be done.
But, I will "pitch" all the leftover meat :evil:

But, for those of us of modest means---
I do not think that having pressure water and 15 amp power within 75-100' of each site is an unreasonable request if the event has the ability to pay sanctioning bodies, professional promoters, and marketing agencies.

RANT OVER!

TIM

scottyd
02-18-2008, 03:50 PM
north kansas city has not electric
to get water is almost impossible
the entry is not bad
they do have a new site

Yes I would do a contest with out power or water but i carry my own water and electric when needed. if not provided.

burnin butts
02-18-2008, 04:19 PM
So does the $250.00 include hotel?

swamprb
02-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Just curious about this one if no water is available? Where does the Health Dept. regulations or inspectors come into play here?
I was at a charity Rib cook and the Health inspector was very anal about every little detail, even complaining about the hot water being too hot!
I understand its a competition and not vending to the public, but Judges deserve the same degree of sanitary conditions the public does. As well as the cooks.

Ford
02-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Not that I can see in the 2008 rules and regulations. The only things I can find are:

4. Contestants shall provide all needed equipment, supplies
and electricity, except as arranged for in advance.
Contestants must adhere to all electrical, fire and other codes.
A fire extinguisher shall be near all cooking devices.

15. The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:
A. No use of any tobacco products while handling meat.
B. Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks,
cooking device(s) and the teamís assigned cooking
space is required.
C. Shirt and shoes are required to be worn.
D. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with
the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of
water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.

So, as long as the contestant is clean, you provide the bleach water, and you have the 3 separate washing areas, it is ok not to have water..... :eek:
Not true - I beleive that in the sanctioning packet they specify having water available. This is not a contestant rule but a sanctioning requirement. Now it doesn't have to be easy to get but it has to be within walking distance and the contestant needs to bring their own container.

butts a fire
02-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Could I cook a contest with no water Yes Would I do it Maybe but not for $250. I can live without electricity at a contest but it is nice to have and I probably wouldn't cook a contest with out it either. I only cook about 4 contests a year so I can be very selective in the area I live.

Sawdustguy
02-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Fogeddaboutit !!!! :shock:

smoke-n-my-i's
02-19-2008, 04:24 PM
The $250 is about the normal rate for around here with water and electric.

Since water and shared electric is going to be provided, I am back into the possibility stage on this one.

I can live with shared electric as all I use is for general lighting and depending on the weather, maybe a box fan. I could do without it, as it looks like it is going to be in the middle of town, and should have street lighting, and with flashlights etc., it is manageable.

Water in my book is a must...

At my last comp., the health department came by and told us we had to have the white hoses for drinking water. I just looked at her with my "dumb" look and said, "HUH! ! ! This is a first". Everyone had green, black, etc.... I just looked at the ground and said, ok.... she left and we all continued. Nobody changed any hoses. Have you ran into that before????

And my favorite.... fire extinguisher.... I always put it just inside my tent. Kinda out of the way, but it can easily seen. Don't want it walking away when I am busy. But I am told it is suppose to be next to the cooker. Read KCBS rules. Now if the cooker should catch a blazing fire, do you want to run to the cooker to find and grab the fire extinguisher? ? ? ? NO WAY... at all of the training classes, we are told, put your extinguisher away from your cooking area (kitchen) so if there is a fire, you don't have to run into the fire to get it. Makes a LOT of common sense. Now, my thought on the extinguisher. I can see having it for a grease fire. But if I am cooking with wood, and the lid is closed, grab the water hose, shoot it onto the fire box, close the dampers (to smother it) , and hose down the cooker to cool it.... that is 2 of the items you remove from the fire, air and heat..... fire should go out on it's own. If not, open fire box carefully, and hose down.....

Sawdustguy
02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
The $250 is about the normal rate for around here with water and electric.

Since water and shared electric is going to be provided, I am back into the possibility stage on this one.

I can live with shared electric as all I use is for general lighting and depending on the weather, maybe a box fan. I could do without it, as it looks like it is going to be in the middle of town, and should have street lighting, and with flashlights etc., it is manageable.

Water in my book is a must...

At my last comp., the health department came by and told us we had to have the white hoses for drinking water. I just looked at her with my "dumb" look and said, "HUH! ! ! This is a first". Everyone had green, black, etc.... I just looked at the ground and said, ok.... she left and we all continued. Nobody changed any hoses. Have you ran into that before????

And my favorite.... fire extinguisher.... I always put it just inside my tent. Kinda out of the way, but it can easily seen. Don't want it walking away when I am busy. But I am told it is suppose to be next to the cooker. Read KCBS rules. Now if the cooker should catch a blazing fire, do you want to run to the cooker to find and grab the fire extinguisher? ? ? ? NO WAY... at all of the training classes, we are told, put your extinguisher away from your cooking area (kitchen) so if there is a fire, you don't have to run into the fire to get it. Makes a LOT of common sense. Now, my thought on the extinguisher. I can see having it for a grease fire. But if I am cooking with wood, and the lid is closed, grab the water hose, shoot it onto the fire box, close the dampers (to smother it) , and hose down the cooker to cool it.... that is 2 of the items you remove from the fire, air and heat..... fire should go out on it's own. If not, open fire box carefully, and hose down.....

If you have a greese fire and hit it with a Co2 extinguisher all you have to do is clean up your smoker, salvage what you can of your meat and you can start cooking again. As soon as you use water to extinguish the fire you are done pretty much done for the weekend.

Bentley
02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Haven't read all the reply so will just chime in. It if ment a $100 entry fee and the prize mony is still up there, yes! I have a gen. now and can bring enough water to get by!

If it's a $250 contest, with the same prize money, I will pass!

ANIMAL
02-20-2008, 03:00 AM
Were is this event??? Any info on it?

gordo
02-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Id probably cook it...

Only thing bad, the entry fee sounds too steep...

Most contest I enter have $100-150 entry fees, able to cook alot more
contest that way..!

I carry my own water and generator...so thats not a problem...

ThomEmery
02-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Sounds like they are raising the prize money off the cooks

RixCue
02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
This hits home pretty hard. The last event I cooked in 2007 had the best electrical service I have ever seen at an event! They made up for this on the water issue. I came home with a greasy, sand covered mess. We were in a sandy reign, the wind was strong and sustained all day on Saturday and with other activities keeping the sand stirred up it is a wonder we didnít have sand in our bbq entrees.

I do appreciate this post. I inquired and quickly received the info on the event in this thread and asked about the water and electrical situation and didnít get a response. Now that they appear to be improving I need to recontact them. One thing not mentioned barrels for disposal of ash /coals and grease. I think that sometimes gets over looked. For those of us cooking on Backwoods and other wet smokers we will be depositing these items some where.

Rick

smoke-n-my-i's
02-21-2008, 04:05 PM
This hits home pretty hard. The last event I cooked in 2007 had the best electrical service I have ever seen at an event! They made up for this on the water issue. I came home with a greasy, sand covered mess. We were in a sandy reign, the wind was strong and sustained all day on Saturday and with other activities keeping the sand stirred up it is a wonder we didnít have sand in our bbq entrees.

I do appreciate this post. I inquired and quickly received the info on the event in this thread and asked about the water and electrical situation and didnít get a response. Now that they appear to be improving I need to recontact them. One thing not mentioned barrels for disposal of ash /coals and grease. I think that sometimes gets over looked. For those of us cooking on Backwoods and other wet smokers we will be depositing these items some where.

Rick

Rick,

If I didn't know better, with you being from Mebane, and the sand storm, I would guess you were in Lumberton about 6 cookers up from me.... :eek:

Bill

RixCue
02-21-2008, 11:05 PM
BINGO!!! Bill.

And you may recall a red Dodge , west bound on 85-40 Sunday pm. You were on the phone at the time.

If memory serves me , you had a call in brisket in Lumberton, congrats man! It was so cold and windy , and with the award ceremony running an hour late I didn’t hang around to congratulate anyone. How about the sand spurs, man I had them in the tires of the truck for over a month! I had to pick them out of the tires on the Backwoods before I would take it off the trailer ”don’t want to get them started here”.

Take care ,Rick

Tar River BBQ
02-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Howdy, Maybe I missed, but where's the competition at.

Thanks8-)

RixCue
02-22-2008, 09:02 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Where is the competition ???

Thanks8-)

Charlie,are you asking about the one in Lumberton?Last November?

Rick

Charlie8-)

smoke-n-my-i's
02-22-2008, 11:12 AM

Thanks8-)

The original post is referencing Louisburg, NC in June. It is on the KCBS site, but the link does not work. I sent him an email, that is the only way I could find out anything about it.

The sandstorm was in Lumberton, NC last November. And yes, I was digging the sandspurs out of stuff for a long time. I even dug some out of my knees about a month later. I was wondering why they were hurting so much and getting festered up.... I was slow, but I made it....

On the phone and driving huh? ? ? ? I wouldn't do anything like that.... besides, it isn't safe... I was so dead tired, I don't remember anybody passing me, but that late at night, ..... was that before or after I lost the trailer lights? ? ? ? I had to make a stop to get them going again.... :evil: No call for brisket, but close, real close.... so close, I almost heard my name... maybe next time.

RixCue
02-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Bill I was referring to Sunday 02/17/2008. 85-40 west around the Greensboro area.

Yeah that trip back from Lumberton was a trip. I took a new rout back . Going to I took the back roads, went great! Coming home I took 95 to 40 and west to home ,mistake!

Rick

smoke-n-my-i's
02-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Bill I was referring to Sunday 02/17/2008. 85-40 west around the Greensboro area.

Yeah that trip back from Lumberton was a trip. I took a new rout back . Going to I took the back roads, went great! Coming home I took 95 to 40 and west to home ,mistake!

Rick

Ok, that would have been while I was on my way to a cook's meeting at one of our competitors in Winston Salem... we were trying to work out a schedule to maybe do a couple under his name, a couple under my name a a couple on our own. That way, we could get a few more comps in this year, but I just got word yesterday, that our work load is going to comprise of more weekend work again for a while.... :evil: long story.. hopefully though in about June or so, it might change so I can still get a couple in... I sure hope so.