PDA

View Full Version : National Team ??

MilitantSquatter
02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
A recent discussion came up between several Brethren who will remain nameless to protect their identities :wink:.

The question became : Is it technically legal to compete under one official team name (not a variation of one name) ex Team "XXXX" ? Team "XXXX" may spread across members from multiple states with potentially different combinations of team members participating at a contest as long as the competitions are not held on the same day ?

Example as follows.. I will use random Brethren members names just to make the example a bit clearer.

BigMista and Mrs. Mista compete under team name "XXXX" this weekend in CA. The next weekened Westex, SmokeInDaEye and I compete in NY under the same team name "XXXX". The next week in TX Jorge & Zilla along with all of the other members from the two previous weeks (Big Mista, Mrs Mista, Westex and SmokeInDaEye) all compete together in TX under the same team name "XXXX".

In this example, all team members are members of a truly national team. May potentially exist without one head cook, but all being co-head cooks so to speak. They compete under one umbrella/team name with the potential at times to compete with all members or combinations of members based on schedule, availability, geographics etc. All share a desire to be a unified team, with common goals, recipes etc.

My take is, this is perfectly acceptable. Even if a head cook was officially designated, it could change per contest or that head cook may or may not be at every contest due to work/family/health issues and I am sure that may happen today either planned or unplanned and a team can still compete.

PS - Before the question gets asked, this is not specifically about having a "Brethren" team, Team Ash Hole or similar, but it very well could be.

For now,a hypothetical situation only :biggrin: :wink:

Thoughts ?

Roo-B-Q'N
02-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I think this would be legal as long as Mista and Mrs. Mista and Jorge and Zilla are not competing with the same name on the same weekend.

We have competed where a team was made up of himself and his wife and a friend and the next time we ran into them it was the guys brother, his wife and another friend. Then at the Royal ALL of them were there.

I don't think head cook is an issue. My wife and I fill out entry forms and who ever fills them out lists themselves as head cook.

This may lead to the pro series in BBQ as more teams will start competing like this and heading to all of the large contests leaving the smaller contests to fill in the amateur roll or folding all together.

Sanctioning bodies would then have larger problems sanctioning contests on the same weekend as this type of comps grow. They are already fighting smaller contests getting in their paperwork before larger contests and the ethics with that. May just need a pro sanctioning body and an amateur body.

Jeff_in_KC
02-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm not 100% positive but i believe that as long as a team is not competing in more than one location on the same weekend, it should be OK. There's no limit to who you can have on your team and who's to say we all aren't on a team?

I think it would be cool to have a team called "BBQ Brethren All Stars" or something of the sort. Then make a list of interested people and put together a schedule in various parts of the country all season and see how we do.

I'd sign on. Heck we all hook up and cook events together around here and sometimes use a different team name (HoDE SparkleHeads come to mind) Great idea Vinny!

swamprb
02-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Would this be like "stacking" a team with good cooks? I'm too new to competing to grasp this yet, but looking on in wide eyed amazement.

txschutte
02-09-2008, 07:43 PM
This would be a fantastic idea for spreading the gospel of fine BBQ everywhere. I do various small comps around here, and getting the Brethren name exposed out here in the Styx would just invite more knowledge into our forums.

smoke-n-my-i's
02-09-2008, 08:00 PM
If you are talking KCBS, rule #2 says:

A team shall not compete in more than one contest under the same team name, on the same date.

So, if you are talking KCBS competition, then the answer is NO !!

But if done on different weekends, YES! ! !

MilitantSquatter
02-09-2008, 08:07 PM
If you are talking KCBS, rule #2 says:

A team shall not compete in more than one contest under the same team name, on the same date.

So, if you are talking KCBS competition, then the answer is NO !!

No... the thought here is never on the same date. But one common team name on as many weekends without overlap as possible. In actuality, a team can compete twice on a given weekend with two turn in dates.. Ex. one contest is Fri/Sat and the other is Sat/Sun.

Ex. Select members from several regions (ex. Northeast, West, Midwest, North, Southeast etc. cook several contests each) and are all members of the team. Members from different regions may travel outside of their region as permits to join their team. This gives the official team the greater opportunity to win state qualifiers, gain TOY points that may not have been had by cooking a small # of contests only in whatever region they are in based on finances/time or # of contests available, gain some national exposure etc. If they win a GC or Qualifer, they may also team up together at an AR or Jack, Best of the Best or other Invitationals.

swamprb - Not necessarily stacking of good cooks. In actuality, a specific contingent or all reguions for that matter, may be less experienced cooks, but on that weekend, if no one else is competing or contests available elsewhere, the lesser experienced members go out and compete. They may bomb out or with a little luck win a GC !!!

Obviously some major trust, common goals, coordination/planning of contests etc. and a relatively limited group overall could make it work.

Yakfishingfool
02-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Vinny, it would actually make great sense in going for a TOY competition. A national team, organized well and maybe using national sponsorship would a formidable group to contend with. Could be very cool. Scott

Plowboy
02-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I think KCBS, technically, goes by Head Cook for TOY.

I'm not sure how the Jack, GAB, and AR look at their invitationals for GC's. I think it was DR BBQ saying that the Jack has a rule that the team members that won the GC(s) must be the team members at the Jack. No bringing in a ringer. Don't know how they know that, but it's probably a gentleman's rule.

Beyond that, there's no reason why the same team name can't be used across the country with a roster of different cooks. I think this is how the Motley Que Crew works. They have people in all parts of the country.

MilitantSquatter
02-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I think KCBS, technically, goes by Head Cook for TOY.

I'm not sure how the Jack, GAB, and AR look at their invitationals for GC's. I think it was DR BBQ saying that the Jack has a rule that the team members that won the GC(s) must be the team members at the Jack. No bringing in a ringer. Don't know how they know that, but it's probably a gentleman's rule.

Beyond that, there's no reason why the same team name can't be used across the country with a roster of different cooks. I think this is how the Motley Que Crew works. They have people in all parts of the country.

Thanks Todd.. Good points above.

As far as TOY, I think it would be nearly impossible for the current KCBS TOY system to know what head cook name is listed on a given contest application. What goes into KCBS is the scoring sheets, not the applications.

The Jack qualifications, have to be a gentlemans agreement.. Again, no way to know who cooked as other team members months before in a different state. Even if person A is the head hook who one the qualifier, and at the Jack person A cooks and brings in another top cook to assist, that has to be legal since person A cooked the qualifier and is also present at the Jack. I could only see an issue if person A won the qualifer and then was not present at the Jack.

Again... this is not a question of trying to skirt the system, cheat etc. just hypotheticals to determine if a truly national team can exist and be considered legitimate.

Plowboy
02-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks Todd.. Good points above.

As far as TOY, I think it would be nearly impossible for the current KCBS TOY system to know what head cook name is listed on a given contest application. What goes into KCBS is the scoring sheets, not the applications.

Again... this is not a question of trying to skirt the system, cheat etc. just determine if a truly national team can exist and be considered legitimate.

Maybe Rod can swing in here and give some insight.

BBQchef33
02-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I forgot to call the experts on this, but I checked the rules and theres nothing that says we cannot for A Single TEAM of 40-50 members, broken up by region to compete. And this team does NOT only have to compete in KCBS, but IBCA, FBA, NEBS, CBBQA, etc.. Wherever there are members interested. If some things on the burner begin to pan out over the next few weeks, this team may even be sponsored by us and a few other 'national' organizations.

who knows, they may even find my hat while roaming all over the country.

Plowboy
02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
This is a pretty cool idea. I'd be in... if allowed.

We could have matching hats... DIBS!!!!

Kevin
02-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I forgot to call the experts on this, but I checked the rules and theres nothing that says we cannot for A Single TEAM of 40-50 members, broken up by region to compete. And this team does NOT only have to compete in KCBS, but IBCA, FBA, NEBS, CBBQA, etc.. Wherever there are members interested. If some things on the burner begin to pan out over the next few weeks, this team may even be sponsored by us and a few other 'national' organizations.

who knows, they may even find my hat while roaming all over the country.

I've got wood, to cook for that.

Jeff_in_KC
02-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Doesn't Dizzy Pig do this to some degree. I know there is a DP and a DP North team too.

As far as TOY, I agree... don't think anything other than team name is listed. Hell, if this game is soon to become the realm of the big boys with the big time national sponsors, why not crash the farkin' party? If we had a Brethren team competing every weekend somewhere in the country, no doubt we'd luck into some grands and other big wins along the line.

With my confidence in my pork and my new-found success in chicken, I'd volunteer my services there. Don't ask me to take the ribs category though... I'd be dropping the ball on the team. :roll:

txschutte
02-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Would this help some of our Brothers and Sisters break into the realm of competing as well? I see it as a great opportunity in the mentor aspect.

Sawdustguy
02-10-2008, 12:15 AM
I understand that this is hypothetical but I certainly hope that we never entertain such a thing. IMHO all that would do is create a caste system in our group. You would see the "National Team" as the elite and then the rest of us. I think it would cause a modicum of animosity in the ranks and certainly conflict with our mantra of "From the Backyard to the American Royal".

BBQchef33
02-10-2008, 12:27 AM
I understand that this is hypothetical but I certainly hope that we never entertain such a thing. IMHO all that would do is create a caste system in our group. You would see the "National Team" as the elite and then the rest of us. I think it would cause a modicum of animosity in the ranks and certainly conflict with our mantra of "From the Backyard to the American Royal".

guy..... Anyone would be able to cook on the team(volunteer), and its a way new folks can cook with seasoned competitors. Like an extension of the mentoring program. Of course since the team would be 'representatives' of this group, to join there would be some criteria that would have to be met, very similar to flying our banner but tenure would always be a deciding factor.

tonto1117
02-10-2008, 12:31 AM

It could..but I think it falls into the"You can't please all the poeple at the same time catergory".

If it ever sees the light of day would love to be involved...:wink:

EDIT...Typing at the same time Phil...Timing has never been one of my strong suits...except turn in time...:lol:

scottyd
02-10-2008, 06:01 AM
This would be perfectly legal if as stated before that it only cooked one contest on any given weekend under the team name stated. So if you have a team of 100 people it is good to go. but as the rules state You can only cook in one contest per weekend.

Stacking a team, you still have to go through the JUDGES and we all know how that can come out on any give Saturday. (did I say that) Good luck with this project.

My team consists of over 800 people if they so choose to come out and help out. Due to my sponsor I have to let anyone from my sponsor help, hang out or just loiter but do this they must have a company shirt on.(loop hole) (Phil has one) so I really only have on contest where this is a issue. We have a big party for these folks. That way they stay out of harms way.

Spydermike72
02-10-2008, 06:07 AM
If someone is going to do this, I am interested!! My strong suit, I can buy lots of beer!!

Todd, you are right about the Motley Que Crew, they do have members all over the place and cook all over the using the same name.

Ford
02-10-2008, 06:20 AM
EDIT...Typing at the same time Phil...Timing has never been one of my strong suits...except turn in time...:lol:
You sure it's typing or maybe it was the party at Des Plaines that kept you out past midnight :lol::lol::lol:

Hope you guys have fun judging and remember exposed flesh freezes in about 20 minutes with the temps and wind you have today. Be careful everybody.

Sawdustguy
02-10-2008, 08:02 AM
guy..... Anyone would be able to cook on the team(volunteer), and its a way new folks can cook with seasoned competitors. Like an extension of the mentoring program. Of course since the team would be 'representatives' of this group, to join there would be some criteria that would have to be met, very similar to flying our banner but tenure would always be a deciding factor.

Phil,

I certainly understand that it can be a positive thing if handled properly. My concern is that it has the potential to become a good ole boys club. If you decide to do this, as a brethren I would certainly support it. I don't want you to get the impression that I am sour grapes but I have witnessed something like this with the very best intentions go very wrong. I know you won't let that happen so I will refrain from further comment.

MilitantSquatter
02-10-2008, 09:13 AM
While I was stirring the pot a bit and this discussion did take place over a plate of Mexican food, it was not solely about the Brethren or Team Ash Hole etc. (Sled, SmokeInDaEye and I will be actively recruiting for that as a side project in addition to anything else that results :rolleyes:).

I still also think, two contests per weekend is legit just as long as one turn in days are Sat for one and Sunday for the other, just like some members did/planned to do at Dover/Battle of the BBQ Brethren.

While I think the concept is great that we discussed, in some ways we each had/have a different interpretation of how something like this could work that would need to be squared away.

In my opinion it would need to be on a relatively smaller scale of team members per area who are committed to the project and are not just willing to join up as they please, only do certain tasks they wanted to do as part of the team etc. 20 people showing up for one contest can create a lot of issues, bad feelings if ground rules/roles are not laid out regarding structure and teamwork.

Phil notes that a potential exists for a much larger group. Nationally - yes. Locally - potential issues IMO. Without much thought, I think that can get complicated.

Mentoring some new people can certainly still happen, but that can take place like the current mentor program just being experimented with too. It's the same people, just a different name.

So many things would need to take place and I will name a few

1) Determine team members (trust, common goals/committment and dedication to the project, ability to work as a team, will contribute financially and timewise, ideal head count to make it doable in a 20x20 area.)

2) Determine scheduling - which members are cooking which weekends. What if there are three great contests that different region members are willing to cook under the team name, who gets priority ? Based on experience, tenure, contest size etc ?

-which contests ?
-which regions ?
-who submits paperwork & initial application fees ?
-do team members put money up front ?

3) Determining roles at the contests : If ten members show up at a contest several things need to be decided and agreed to or it will be a free for all and could create internal conflict and bad feelings which is against the whole concept of a team...

Should the roles rotate or be based on skill set ?

- who's recipes per category ?
- whose pits are going to be used ?
- whose supplies are going to be used ?
- who does the shopping ?
- who preps ?
-who tends fire ?
- whose the dishwasher ?
- who makes the turn in boxes ?
-who runs the boxes ?
- how are expenses divided ?

I love the concept, and I don't think it's about being a good ole boys club. I do think the key is having members who are truly genuine in their desire to make it happen, contribute in whatever capacity is needed and not just what they want to do/think they are best at and not willing to do less glamorous stuff too when needed. Can't be someone who wants to tag along for the ride as they choose but look at it for the long haul of contributing to a cohesive unit.

Jeff_in_KC
02-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Vinny, I don't see it as much of a potential problem in the midwest because of the huge number of contests. Seems that there would end up being more "Brethren" contests here and in the southeast because of that. I think to start, it would take several of us from across the country getting together to select a schedule for a full year to start off. Pick events that maybe we think we stand better chances at. Bottom feeding is a thing of the past but if there are events that members typically do well at where people like their food, pick those. Also, maybe we look at four guys getting together to volunteer for the four categories at certain events then posting those events (like the mentoring thread) and asking for others to join who would be willing to help with set up, tear down, dishes, running boxes, building boxes, etc. I don't think it would be an issue if we had it set up right.

One other thing you forgot... you mentioned who provides money up front. what about any funds that are won? My idea would be that we keep anything we had to spend out of pocket up front and anything in excess goes to Phil to help pay for the server space for this place.

txschutte
02-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I could se a few things go awry, as Vinny says, but there are those of us that would know our skillset. If I were to get on with a group of guys,and lets just say Plowboy is on the Team for that contest. He would be responsible for delegating responsibilties within the particular group. I beleive someone should be sure there is a Brethren member at each contest that Phil and other members with "tenure" would entrust to be responsible, or Pitmaster.
There should be a set of ground rules that every member should know before getting into a contest. If a person doesn't like that they aren't pitboss for that particular contest, they shouldn't sign up. There has to be a way to stomp out the "sour grapes factor". (No pun intended)

MilitantSquatter
02-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Good suggestions/points Jeff and Schutte...

txschutte
02-10-2008, 10:31 AM
As far as money goes, I like Jeff's idea. The expenses could be divided up among a few people that are absolutely going to show for the contest. If a person can't help financially with the contest, they should be willing to take smaller roles in the team (If there are any open places). There should be a way to NOT turn away a Brother that simply cannot put up the yen to play.

Yakfishingfool
02-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Regional team captains, cordinating with the national team captain, buy ins??? Not sure. The regional team captains would be responsible for cordinating comp's within their region and clearing with the national captain. members of the teams on a local level could be dealt with on the local teams captains terms....I think. But then you get into recipes, styles, etc. Could be interesting or cause ones hair to fall out....Phil excluded of course :)

CajunSmoker
02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Sure sounds interesting:cool: and I would be interested in participating in anything within a days drive of Louisiana.

txschutte
02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Regional team captains, cordinating with the national team captain, buy ins??? Not sure. The regional team captains would be responsible for cordinating comp's within their region and clearing with the national captain. members of the teams on a local level could be dealt with on the local teams captains terms....I think. But then you get into recipes, styles, etc. Could be interesting or cause ones hair to fall out....Phil excluded of course :)
It sounds more difficult than it really is. Clearances and a chain of command is essential, but maybe we could have one person delegated to coordinate comps, as in, the dates.
As far as recipes go, don't we have a Brethren recipe section above to standardize things??
Just a thought.

MilitantSquatter
02-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I like Yak's idea on structure.. I had a very similar idea in mind that I have not fully thought out yet.

As far as recipe's / cooking methods - I think that would be up to whomever is cooking at that specific contest and taking ownership of a category.

Example : if I were tasked with cooking a particular category, I may choose to use my technique's etc. along with any last minute suggestions from other teammates. Same for whomever was tasked with responsibilities for the other categories, box prep etc. Other option in cooking a certain category may instead be to use a technique/recipe shared by another member that has been used with even more successful results and would really be executing on that process/technique chosen.

smoke-n-my-i's
02-10-2008, 12:50 PM
This is sounding very doable....

It will take a lot of coordination, and thought to work out all of the details. It would, IMHO, need to be set up almost like a corporation with a president (head cheese), treasurer, secretary, etc... just to keep everything straight. Then the teams per region. Then the region teams could have contacts with who is available to that area.

This would be a very good thing for mentoring. There is a lot of people that love to Q, but do not want to get into the competition thing. It could be a great time to bring out the good "backyard" cooks and get their expertise so to speak.

I would say, let a few of the "heads" get together, work up the details, hash it out, ask questions here, hash it out some more, and get it right before jumping into it. Even if it doesn't get going before next year. Do it right from the beginning, and not have to make major changes in the middle of the river if you mess up somewhere....

Just my thoughts.

Bill

Jeff_in_KC
02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah, you cannot standardize recipes. If someone is having great success with a particular method of cooking, why take that away? Also, what works in some areas won't work in others. Ford once told me that if I'm cooking in the Great Lakes region to always use a lot of sauce. Around KC, that wouldn't cut it. I'm only guessing but in contests in the Carolinas, maybe you have to use vinegar based sauces to score well. When we all team up to cook together around here, whoever is responsible for a particular category uses their own recipes and techniques.

BBQchef33
02-10-2008, 01:03 PM
i just watching this as it pans out... , but IMO recipes is definitely up to the pitmaster. Standardizing wont work.

smoke-n-my-i's
02-10-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm only guessing but in contests in the Carolinas, maybe you have to use vinegar based sauces to score well.

Not true......

It all depends on where the judges come from, or what they prefer. The last comp I was at had a judge from NJ.....

So, it doesn't really all fall as to the territory. It is becoming more and more on the overall mastery of the cook and the uniqueness of the wood, rub, and sauce, as well as the cook.

It is really becoming more and more of a, who is the better cook, not who has the sauce for the region.

This is beginning to be a very interesting topic. I can see something GREAT coming out of it.

Jeff_in_KC
02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
This is beginning to be a very interesting topic. I can see something GREAT coming out of it.

Many multiple Grands for the Brethren Team and a farkin' HUGE party at the American Royal Invitational and the Jack? :wink: :lol: How about Team of the Year at the January 2009 Banquet? :wink:

rookiedad
02-11-2008, 08:43 AM
i think this is a great idea! a national team comprised of members of various Brethren teams might be instrumental in attracting a big national sponsor, like an energy drink, like in the X-games.

also, while i was reading this thread i was thinking that if there was a National team... why not a national contest! The Battle Of The Barbeque Breathren was so great and so fun that i felt bad for all the Brethren Nationwide who did not get a chance to participate in it first hand.

so what about a committee to organize a Brethren competition in all the various sectors of the Nation, with the National team as the host. i don't know anything about putting on a competition but would be happy to help in this effort if anyone thinks it's worthwhile.

phil

Plowboy
02-11-2008, 09:14 AM
i think this is a great idea! a national team comprised of members of various Brethren teams might be instrumental in attracting a big national sponsor, like an energy drink, like in the X-games.

also, while i was reading this thread i was thinking that if there was a National team... why not a national contest! The Battle Of The Barbeque Breathren was so great and so fun that i felt bad for all the Brethren Nationwide who did not get a chance to participate in it first hand.

so what about a committee to organize a Brethren competition in all the various sectors of the Nation, with the National team as the host. i don't know anything about putting on a competition but would be happy to help in this effort if anyone thinks it's worthwhile.

phil

Let's walk first before we run. Organizing a cook team for a contest is one thing. Organizing a contest is quite another.

ihbobry
02-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Sounds like the Harlem Globe Trotters of BBQ :smile:

rookiedad
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Sounds like the Harlem Globe Trotters of BBQ :smile:

not exactly! i know that this is written in jest but before it sets in to deeply, please let me explain that what i am thinking of is more a way for Brethren nationwide to share in the excitement of a signature event while acting as ambassadors to local area teams. and get a cool t-shirt :-D!

i think this was exemplified in sayville and everyone there had a great time!

phil

SP
02-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm think it a great idea in theory. I would be all in for cooking a couple more contest. I read this the other day and have been thinking about if for a little while. The first have to to is see who is seriously interested in being on the team. May be start a new thread.
EX.
Name:Clay (SP)
Best to categories: Brisket Ribs

Once we know the interest and region people are in you can divide and start to look at contest around those areas and start to look at dates. There does need to be a final say IE National captain and regional captains as said before. I have more ideas but have to run, but I think you have to gauge the serous interest first.

Plowboy
02-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Actually, the first step may be to map out the 52 weeks with contests geographically. Then ID a captain for each event.

EDIT: Maybe some regional coordinators could be assigned to work the calendar and recruit captains as a starting point.

Plowboy
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Last year I cooked with HoDeDo & JBrink01 at a couple of contests. One of the things you have to figure out ahead of time is how ribbons, trophies, costs and prize money is to be distributed.

The system that we used was that each person was assigned an entry: Andy cooks chicken/ribs, I do pork/brisket. You keep your ribbons, I keep mine. All prize money is split 50/50. Any GC or RGC trophies are kept by the captain of the team who's name you were flying under. For Andy and I, it was Plowboys, so I would have kept any GC or RGC hardware. That will be different a different situation in a team like this.

Should local teams provide any funding that sponsors don't cover and then keep all winnings? Or, should their be a fund that all teams can request funds from and all winnings go into the fund? I can see some pros and cons with this, but wanted to throw that out to think about.

txschutte
02-11-2008, 12:01 PM
I thinktrophies, ribbons, etc. should remain the property of the National cooking team. If we have a get together at the end of the year (Royal, or Brethren Convention) they trophies would be given to their winner at that time.
As far as the money end. I believe all winning proceeds should be given back to a fund for Brethren activities for future contests, conventions, and server space. A governing body should be in place, with a minimum tenure in check. Regional pitmasters could be on a "board" and decide what goes where, with a board chaiman having been voted by these board members.

This may get a little too into legalese, but does anyone have a simpler suggestion??

Plowboy
02-11-2008, 12:17 PM
I thinktrophies, ribbons, etc. should remain the property of the National cooking team. If we have a get together at the end of the year (Royal, or Brethren Convention) they trophies would be given to their winner at that time.
As far as the money end. I believe all winning proceeds should be given back to a fund for Brethren activities for future contests, conventions, and server space. A governing body should be in place, with a minimum tenure in check. Regional pitmasters could be on a "board" and decide what goes where, with a board chaiman having been voted by these board members.

This may get a little too into legalese, but does anyone have a simpler suggestion??

The problem with a central fund is determining fair distribution. There will be more expenses than funds. Fund level will fluctuate. How do you distribute fairly? That's the biggest issue I see with a central bank. I say, you are all on your own beyond sponsor funding. What you win, you keep. Gotta keep it simple.

As far as a "governing body", let's keep this from being another KCBS with elections, BOD, by laws, etc. Gotta keep it simple. I suggest that the Brethren Mods and Back Office appoint a few folks to run this distributed to 5 regions across the country (NE, MidWest, West, Florida, Texas, South). Split the calendar up so that each region gets to select 10 contests. Reserve the Royal weekend separately. The leader for each region would work within their territory to identify contests and captains. Captains would solicit help & funding for their contests. Each entry is assigned a lead. Lead determines what help they need for the entry and assumes overall direction for that entry. Entry lead keeps any ribbons/trophies for their category. Captain keeps any GC or RGC trophy. (Duplicate trophies can be made by team members if that is important to them.) All winnings are split evenly between those that contributed the original funds. Power to the people!

SP
02-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Actually, the first step may be to map out the 52 weeks with contests geographically. Then ID a captain for each event.

EDIT: Maybe some regional coordinators could be assigned to work the calendar and recruit captains as a starting point.

The only reason I said figure out who want to compete first, is if threre are only 5 people total or no one in a reagon want to do a team then there is no reason to figure out what contest are in ex southwest.

I think a board is great as long as there is no one of relation on it. Sorry couldn't resist

I think winnings should cover what was paid out of pocket and then go to the great cause of the brethren, ex team banners or other promotional material like HATS. I think we be arrogent and display our trophies ribbon banners etc and that they belong to no one member. "All for one, one for all". Logistics may make it hard but thats for later.

Plowboy
02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
The only reason I said figure out who want to compete first, is if threre are only 5 people total or no one in a reagon want to do a team then there is no reason to figure out what contest are in ex southwest.

I think a board is great as long as there is no one of relation on it. Sorry couldn't resist

I think winnings should cover what was paid out of pocket and then go to the great cause of the brethren, ex team banners or other promotional material like HATS. I think we be arrogent and display our trophies ribbon banners etc and that they belong to no one member. "All for one, one for all". Logistics may make it hard but thats for later.

If a region can't fill their 10, then the remainder can be distributed to other regions.

Logistics of common property ownership like that is a farking mess. You win the ribbon, keep the ribbon. You wanna bring it back out next time, do it. Let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.

I like the idea of anything above expense coverage going to a central bank.

But these kind of decisions need to be figured out before launch. Too many people with too many different ideas.

SP
02-11-2008, 12:44 PM
If a region can't fill their 10, then the remainder can be distributed to other regions.

Logistics of common property ownership like that is a farking mess. You win the ribbon, keep the ribbon. You wanna bring it back out next time, do it. Let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.

I like the idea of anything above expense coverage going to a central bank.

But these kind of decisions need to be figured out before launch. Too many people with too many different ideas.

Well Todd you get my vote for head of the Midwest.

Central Bank goes toward the Royal which all teams can come to and have a bash. May be the person with the highest point in an individual catagory get to cook that catagory at the Royal.

PS you said 5 region and had 6 listed in a previous post.

Plowboy
02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Well Todd you get my vote for head of the Midwest.

Central Bank goes toward the Royal which all teams can come to and have a bash. May be the person with the highest point in an individual catagory get to cook that catagory at the Royal.

PS you said 5 region and had 6 listed in a previous post.

I like your Royal idea.

Never said I could count. :rolleyes:

timzcardz
02-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Ribbons, prize money, sponsors, regions, etc., etc., etc.

All of that discussion is nice, BUT ....

What is the single primary objective to be attained by doing this?

Until you define what the primary objective is, you can't possibly decide on the steps required to attain it.

If you don't know where you are going, then you will probably end up in the wrong place ... and not even know it!

SP
02-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Ribbons, prize money, sponsors, regions, etc., etc., etc.

All of that discussion is nice, BUT ....

What is the single primary objective to be attained by doing this?

Until you define what the primary objective is, you can't possibly decide on the steps required to attain it.

If you don't know where you are going, then you will probably end up in the wrong place ... and not even know it!

Your right. To me personaly, I would say that the objective is comrodery(sp) learning from your fellow brothers, helping the new comers into comps and promoting bbq and the Brethren. As we know the Brethren is alot about helping each other and thats how I see it, plus just a heck of a good time.

timzcardz
02-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Your right. To me personaly, I would say that the objective is comrodery(sp) learning from your fellow brothers, helping the new comers into comps and promoting bbq and the Brethren. As we know the Brethren is alot about helping each other and thats how I see it, plus just a heck of a good time.

That would be fine, but that is already being done under the collective Brethren banner, so if that's all there is to it, then you certainly don't need a "National Team."

So there must be more to it to justify a "National Team" along with the complications. Right?

willkat98
02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
So there must be more to it to justify a "National Team" along with the complications. Right?

501(c)3 certification means that for all event purchases (meat, supplies, etc) will be tax free.

SP
02-11-2008, 05:08 PM
That would be fine, but that is already being done under the collective Brethren banner, so if that's all there is to it, then you certainly don't need a "National Team."

Yes there will be complication, no doubt. OK you want to know why I want a national team. I think as a national team we could rule the world. We could control the means of manufacturing. Create our own military. Finaly get rid of the French.
Of couse I am being sarcastic. Some times its not all complicated on why. It is guys that will get togeather on their off weeks and cook and do it across the US and say I'm part of a big group of BBQ lovers. Yes we can all have our seperate team and fly a brethren flag but it bigger diffrent thing. I dont know just rambling. All in all it just sound like a cool thing to me and would love to be apart of it, and that is the easy part making work is much more difficult.

MilitantSquatter
02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Guys - some more good ideas from you above.. Plowboy has the wheels turning in his head.. I like it !!!!

We have several good things here already - Brethren affiliation w/ team banners for tenured members, now a mentorship program for Brethren thinking of competing or wanting to learn more etc (which could ultimately be incorporated into the national team as well). A national contest seems out of scope here. Hard work for sure as anyone who has organized a contest could attest.

Before we go further as this being potentially a true Brethren project, Phil and others within the board, will need to bless this concept and want the name BBQ Brethren used knowing it will be used/represented properly. Until that happens, it is still just an idea and not a Brethren team potentially forming. BBQ Brethren, is already his competition team name, and in essence would be "pimped out" for additional contests he will not be competing under that name on his own unless he was traveling to cook with other team members.

Here's some "history" - Phil, Sled and I were at dinner recently, and we discussed one of Phil's original ideas as it related strictly to competitions involving Brethren was for members who flew the Brethren banner to have their name following BBQ Brethren to really make a presence at contests.

Ex. Imagine an awards ceremony and hearing "BBQ Brethen - XXXX (insert members team name here) many times at an event. Early on, some mixup and/or teams forgetting to fill out applications etc. made this go by the wayside.

Since that never took off, my thought here was for a truly national team to develop whether it be BBQ Brethren, BBQ Illuminati, Team Ash Hole etc. that would might have the potential to compete frequently enough to be a great team as measured by performance/standings etc. it also might be made up of a bunch of bad cooks, that are having fun and representing a common thing.

This would allow one team to compete frequently over the course of the year beyond what most local, regional teams could do even with some members traveling great distances to hook up in the past (ex. Jorge flying in from TX, Parrothead coming from from IL, Chad from FL come to mind here as past examples).

This team, with the right geographics/coordination/team make up/chemistry/dedication/ commraderie etc. could become a major force in competition BBQ and possibly set the tone for what may lie ahead with contests based on longer term changes with KCBS.

I am willing to coordinate the overal concept with a few others in addition to getting a Northeast thing going..

The first thing I see happening is a need to gage interest and build a list of potential members interested in participating and then break out by region like Plowboy noted with team captains etc. Beyond that details like costs, role designations, equipment, funding, prize money and tropy allocation could be figured out by those involved at a later point.

If this can truly get off the ground and it became a Brethren project, maybe we would need a private sub forum set up so this outside forum is not tied up the forum with personal arrangements so to speak.

txschutte
02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Not to throw everything off kilter, but as you mentioned, this is Phil's Name. To protect everything we know and love about this forum, we will need to think like lawyers for a minute.
Do we propose this idea with the intent of promoting the experience of contests to those not experienced? Of course. What could happen if the inexperienced do something to harm themselves? Liabilities.
What i'm getting at is, are we going to risk the good name of The Brethren to the actions or mishaps to people we don't really know? Let's be honest, you guys don't know if I even seen a contest, much less cooked in one. Before we put the cart before the horse on figuring out what yen goes when or if this thing gets off the ground, lets make sure we don't chit in the bed we lie in.

I'm not trying to scare the idea off, just making sure we could have waivers/individual, self funded insurance for these people wanting to participate.

I would just hate to not have a place to go after a day of backyarding it because some drunken jackass burned himself, and sued.

Edit: Self Funded meaning paid by participant.

MilitantSquatter
02-11-2008, 06:59 PM
I hear ya Shutte... valid points for sure regarding liabilities that have to be considered.

I think it's a mixed bag - Honestly, I see it as a competition team thing taking the team concept to another level beyond what those involved could accomplish on their own due to resources etc. If contests grow, team dynamics of the hobby change, this could be at the forefront of what could come. (Daydream mod)

Mentoring, while this team can also potentially serve as one, it should just be like the individual teams who recently signed up to offer their services. It should also not be a reason to have a place to hang out or take credit for a potentially solid reputation.

Phil may have different totally opinions as I have not gotten to probe too far with him yet. I know he's checking in here, but I'm not prepared to call this a Brethren thing unless he did first. (Nor do I think this could really take off without it being related).

I have no desire to have a bunch of one time posters that I've never met or know their personalities, joining a team who don't know their way around a fire or knive. Spending two days with stangers is not what I forsee. If I'm throwing in $$ to a contest for meats, supplies, entries etc. I expect to put out the best performance I am capable of and would expect that of anyone else with me while having a great time as well. There would need to be some level of criteria as to participation IMO but I could not define that. My original thinking would be that the team at any contest would be made of members who know and are comfortable with each other. In some areas, that could take time to cultivate based on regional geographics and time a member has been on this site to get a feel with them.

Sawdustguy
02-11-2008, 07:25 PM
So then am I correct to assume that it is not about what Phil outlined?

Anyone would be able to cook on the team (volunteer), and its a way new folks can cook with seasoned competitors. Like an extension of the mentoring program. Of course since the team would be 'representatives' of this group, to join there would be some criteria that would have to be met, very similar to flying our banner but tenure would always be a deciding factor.

It seems that the focus has changed from giving new folks a chance to cook with seasoned competitors to hand picked competitors for each team. Are you going to hand pick members? Why would the separate forum need to be private? I understand that only the team members would need to be given post priviledges. Are you planning to ask the membership to donate money to finance the teams? Just playing Devils advocate.

Mrs. Sawdust
02-11-2008, 07:27 PM
OK Guy, Quit being PITA. I think you're just sour grapes because I would like to Captain the team for the Northeast.

BBQchef33
02-11-2008, 07:32 PM
will you 2 get a room!

oh wait.. you already have one. :tongue:

:mrgreen:

txschutte
02-11-2008, 07:41 PM

It seems that the focus has changed from giving new folks a chance to cook with seasoned competitors to hand picked competitors for each team. Are you going to hand pick members? Why would the separate forum need to be private? I understand that only the team members would need to be given post priviledges. Are you planning to ask the membership to donate money to finance the teams? Just playing Devils advocate.
I think those who would be interested, would be a part of the group. Just as every forum is on here. Hand picking is not what I had in mind, just saying lets make sure we protect what isn't ours. (The Brethren Name) Let's just make sure we think each step carefully is all.
As far as asking the general membership to help fund? I say, if a member wants to give money, send it to Phil for server space. If a newbie wants to learn the ropes of comp bbq, lesson number 1 should be "You have to pay to play". Meaning a member that wishes to participate, should contribute a minimum amount. At least until we could see if a general expense fund could be raised through prizes or other means.

I don't mean to sound like a hardass about the money thing, but I just think it would be unfair to somebody like Vinny, to have him teach a couple of newbies, and bear all financial burden. If you want to be part of a team, lets be a team.

Dunno if I made any sense, just hoping to get the point across.

Jeff_in_KC
02-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Couple of things that crossed my mind... say someone enters Smoke on the Water in Arkansas, wins and gets $15 grand or so... somebody's name is gonna be on that tax form they're gonna make you fill out. How to deal with this type of situation?

Second, I know Phil will need to give ultimate approval but you guys mention that it would be his team name and would prevent him from using it on his own if another team was "in action" that weekend. I had earlier proposed we use BBQ Brethren plus something else such as "All Stars" or whatever didn't sound too corny.

I agree that there should be a central bank for winnings in excess of expenses BUT what if a team is already on the losing end of things and are down $500 for the year. The next contest they do, they spend $400 (now down $900 for the year). That contest, say they win a total of $500. They are plus $100 for that event but still down $400 for the year. Seems to me that each REGION should have a central bank to debit and deposit. Put BBQ Brethren and a name on each account and have all funds deposited there by the regional captain for all regional teams. The regional captain enters events and pays for them and then tells each team what contest they're assigned to.

I'll volunteer to work with Todd on the midwest events...

MilitantSquatter
02-11-2008, 07:53 PM

Guy - What Phil outlined and what I may be thinking could potentially be two polar opposites at this point (as Poobah is so quietly sitting at his keyboard and did not pick up the phone yesterday !!) My original post said it was a concept/idea only.. not a Brethren approved project.

I have not had any further conversation with Phil, past the original one with him and Sled. Phil's post is his thoughts. I am seeing it as an opportunity to form a more national team, with national exposure all with a group of core members that I would love the opportunity to cook with anywhere in the country and we could mesh together efficiently if needed and be a potentially formidable force on the competition scene.

This could be Brethren, BBQ Illuminati, Team Ash Hole... whatever..

Phil is looking at is from the Brethren standpoint and all the good that the Brethren represent. Phils intent may very well be for new folks to cook with seasoned cooks. That is not my original intent but also a very nice thought.

Shutte made some good points.. in my mind, it's not necessarily about handpicking although any team should always be made from dedicated members and the team concept.

My only mention of a separate forum was to not have every minor detail unfold in public for those not wanting to be part of whatever develops if it was Brethren affiliated.

As far as money to finance/sponsorships etc. Not sure yet. would not expect money from anybody to help bear contest expenses other than those competing at the contest or a sponsor if it existed. I think whomever competes would put up the money. It's like entering any other contest and you take your chances. As far as winnings, same thing as today. Someone's name is on the application. if $15K is one, $8K approx) or so gets put off to the side to cover taxes for that individual. Be on the safe side % wise for taking the responsibility.

I have no idea where this will go but I like the idea and think a common ground can be had by all... We've got great cooks, great spirits and great minds to make it happen...

Todd and Jeff are willing to take duties for Midwest, Mista has expressed interested for heading the West and I am willing to handle the Northeast along with anyone else.

Jeff_in_KC
02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
I think those who would be interested, would be a part of the group. Just as every forum is on here. Hand picking is not what I had in mind, just saying lets make sure we protect what isn't ours. (The Brethren Name) Let's just make sure we think each step carefully is all.
As far as asking the general membership to help fund? I say, if a member wants to give money, send it to Phil for server space. If a newbie wants to learn the ropes of comp bbq, lesson number 1 should be "You have to pay to play". Meaning a member that wishes to participate, should contribute a minimum amount. At least until we could see if a general expense fund could be raised through prizes or other means.

I don't mean to sound like a hardass about the money thing, but I just think it would be unfair to somebody like Vinny, to have him teach a couple of newbies, and bear all financial burden. If you want to be part of a team, lets be a team.

Dunno if I made any sense, just hoping to get the point across.

oops... I was gonna mention that topic too in my post above. Team members should contribute SOMETHING to get the ball rolling. Since cooks handling categories will have to pay for meat, I'd say something like $50 each for them and then $100 each for pit pitches, social coordinators, etc.

BBQchef33
02-11-2008, 07:56 PM
this thread makes my head spin.

How about this.. just my .02 for now.. nothing more. But I just see alot of complicated stuff here.

Whoever is running this thing gets a phone call.. (we'll call him 'lead' for the purpose of conversation.

Caller: Is the national Team competing the weekend of July 10?
lead: No
Caller: Plowboy, Jay, Schutte, SP and Mista and are teaming up to cook at the BiteMe BBQ contest in Toledo Ohio.
Lead: Ok, your on the calender.
caller, thanks.. bye. :eusa_clap

lead calenders it in and posts the schedule.

You folks, organize among yourselves 'teams'..... on the fly, comprised of whoever is interested. Come up with a contest in your area, and get it on the calender. Teams MUST consist of at least 2 veteran competitors though and have as many others as you want. The National Team Banner is sent to the pitmaster and thts that... organizring beyond that is the same you would if you were creating or merging teams for a regular contest. (Maybe we can get our printers to donate a few team banners so we can have them scattered around. )

easypeasy.

but.. continue.. good reading,

and if we can make this out to be something bigger and more official than just a bunch of us joining forces.. then thats great. But for the first few teams, i would think keep it simple and see how it goes.. those 'trial contests" will point out the ups, downs and gotchas.

Jeff_in_KC
02-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Phils intent may very well be for new folks to cook with seasoned cooks. That is not my original intent but it is very Brethren like as would be expected from Phil.

Honestly, to me, this is a great opportunity for mentoring... maybe have a TRAINER or MENTOR onhand for every event where a newbie to the contest world comes out to help. That person's sole responsibility is to instruct the "students" (for lack of a better term) in what's going on... explain why one of the cooks is doing whatever it is he's doing at a certain time. That way, the people learning will have a dedicated person to learn from who is not busy prepping meat, building boxes, etc.

I say this because IMO, the major purpose for this national team is to farking WIN contests and win a LOT. Winning will draw more people to this site to see what it's all about. ("Who the fark ARE these guys who show up at contests nation-wide and win a lot?" - that's totally in line with Phil's reasoning for the "Fear the Pig" tag line.) It also helps us overcome what might be coming down the pike in KCBS... where all of us as individual little guys can't afford to compete with the big guys with large sponsorships. Together, we can compete with anyone.

txschutte
02-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Great point, Jeff.

I lke the idea of a regional banking system. One thing I would like to add to that, would be: How do we balance the profit/debt at season end? Do we try to reimburse other regions for losses from regions that are in the black? If all regions are even for the year, how do you allocate funds that are surplus?

As far as the taxes: Would something like this qualify for tax exempt status? Would the team have to be The Benevolent Order of the Brethren?

BBQchef33
02-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Honestly, to me, this is a great opportunity for mentoring... maybe have a TRAINER or MENTOR onhand for every event where a newbie to the contest world comes out to help. That person's sole responsibility is to instruct the "students" (for lack of a better term) in what's going on... explain why one of the cooks is doing whatever it is he's doing at a certain time. That way, the people learning will have a dedicated person to learn from who is not busy prepping meat, building boxes, etc.

I say this because IMO, the major purpose for this national team is to farking WIN contests and win a LOT. Winning will draw more people to this site to see what it's all about. ("Who the fark ARE these guys who show up at contests nation-wide and win a lot?" - that's totally in line with Phil's reasoning for the "Fear the Pig" tag line.) It also helps us overcome what might be coming down the pike in KCBS... where all of us as individual little guys can't afford to compete with the big guys with large sponsorships. Together, we can compete with anyone.

bada bing. :eusa_clap

txschutte
02-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Do we want to try this at a few smaller events, just to test the waters? I'd be interested.

Jeff_in_KC
02-11-2008, 08:15 PM
LOL Phil! You do realize this is turning into a freight train, right? It's one hell of a cool idea and your loyal subjects are jumping onboard fast! :lol:

Schutte, the balance of winnings at the end of the year go to pay for this site and server space. I think it almost HAS to go towards that. If it were a 501(c)3, we couldn't show much in the way of profit anyway. Server space is an expense. We operate to break even. If there's extra, then the royal is a HUGE Brethren Bash! Then we get ready for the Jack every year! :lol:

MilitantSquatter
02-11-2008, 08:31 PM

I agree Jeff... You nailed it !!!!! Makes a lot of sense that way...

WINNING and BRETHREN SPIRIT working together without each goal interfering with the other !!

Westexbbq
02-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Let's do it.

Sawdustguy
02-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Gents,

Firstly, I centainly hopes this works. I just don't want to see this whole thing turn into a good ole boys club. I see two trains of thought here. Poobah seems to want something that will involve inexperienced competition cookers that are willing to contribute and want to learn. It seems Vinny wants to stack the deck with the best cookers he can find to increase the chances of winning. If Vinny wants to do that separate from the Brethren, I have no problem with that. I just don't think Vinny's model fits the the Brethren very well. I thought the Brethen was all about helping people get from the backyard to the American Royal. I can't see how a team that is hand picked by someone fits our mantra. I really do like Phils vision. It would give the opportunity to an inexperienced cook to work with somebody like Chris Hart and Steve Farrin the best cooks in the North East. If there are 10 experienced cooks who want to participate on a peticular weekend who decides who participates? I can see favoritism becoming a big problem. Like I said before, whatever is decided on, I will support whether I agree with it or not. I just see the possibility of hard feelings amoung those who are excluded. Just some things to consider when Vinny and Poobah plan this thing out.

SP
02-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Another thing that can be done with winnings is a charity. There are ton of worth will causes out there.

I know there alot of talk that is bigger than out britches at this point. I am for seeing who wants to compete in the midwest pick a date or 2 that is good for people, put a poll up for a name, sign-up and go for it. If its succesful go from there. Other people in other regions do the same. It will make it easier to cordinate dates if there are only a few contests. If all goes well we can talk about Brethren tour bus.

KC_Bobby
02-11-2008, 09:50 PM
I'd be willing to help out from time to time at events near KC. Including duties such as mixing drinks, firing up another chimney, dishes, helping with parsley, tending the cooler, getting water, pouring more drinks, showing comp mentees where the team meeting and turn in's are, getting ice - you get the picture.

MilitantSquatter
02-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Guys - Phil and I just spent a good deal of time talking via phone about how this could work.

Phil and I are on the same page as far as goals and are excited about the possibilities here.
The opportunity exists for BBQ Brethren to be a major national contender and allows Brethren to be Brethren by cooking together and teaching/spreading the word so to speak).

Phil is gonna continue to sit back and just absorb what's going on out here, primarily cause he finds my idea amusing. I don't think he wants/needs a ton of PM's/calls with opinions on this. If you've got a good suggestion or comment, leave it here for all to review and provide feedback on please.

I will outline some points from our conversation. Some good points were made by others which have been incorporated... These are not hard and fast rules but some things we thought could get us off and running sooner than later by keeping it relatively simple etc.

BBQ-Brethren.com would be the potential official team name (It represents us). Must be sure teams were to carefully submit the exact name on applications for consistency, record keeping, standings etc.
No need for regional leaders etc. Don't wan't to have fingers pointing, bad guy etc.
Any Brethren team per contest must have at least 1 tenured member, preferably 2, in good standing who will represent the Brethren at the event
Phil, as the flagship, might outline a few contests he plans to cook under that name (ex. Hudson Valley Ribfest, Battle of the BBQ Brethren etc.) that may tentatively be unavailable as he should get first choice in addition to any others he travels to be with other members teamming up under the name.
All other weekends would potentially be available to start. Potentially two per weekend are options with both a Sat turn in and Sun turn in days....
Teams submit their requested date to the coordinator for tracking (me for now)
If multiple teams want a certain date/weekend, it will generally be on a first come, first serve basis, unless it is for a larger contest that might offer the most points, best chance to win (not decided, just an option). Flexibility and judgement calls would be made here by those overseeing.
Brethren members independently decide to do a contest and select their members as they desire (could be local or a mix of local and out of towners traveling in). They can choose to keep it to a limited group if they are putting up money. They do not need to post and make it an open invite for 20 others to join up. Too many teammates at one event can make things complicated. Each team will know what they can work optimally at.
A tenured member can also put out a request for additional teammates if desired which would require a share of the $$ expense. The head cook at that event would determine roles.
The team can (and should) also offer to mentor a new Brethren member or one seeking to learn about competition of which no charge should be asked for a rookie.
If requesting a date, you must follow through to submit application and confirm to the coordinator. Don't reserve a weekend for a contest you are unsure if you can make, may not take place or may be on a waiting list etc.
if application is not submitted 30 days prior to event originally requested to reserve, the date may get re-opened.
If you back out and that date ultimately gets wasted, it may prevent you from reserving a future weekend
If another member in good standing sees a contest reserved, and would like to participate, they can reach out to the head cook for that contest to determine if there may be room for them to participate in some way. Offering to contribute $$ to a pre-set team does not guarantee that you will be able to cook with them, cook a category, use your sauce or other desired role etc. Head cook will determine role in this case.
Winnings go back to the team who put up the money to begin with.
Where possible, if winnings are well beyond contest expenses in total, a % of winnings could go into a bank account to use for future national team expense (ex. if costs were $1K, and winnings were $3K possibly 10% of the $2K difference which would be $200 could go into a pool account and 1800 gets divided among the team. The $200 could be used to help fund contest expenses at a national contest, or help offset travel etc. A % of winnings should be team related and not necessarily board support related unless desired by each particular team.I think I am forgetting a few things.. it's late and I'm tired....

Sawdustguy
02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Wow! That was fast and very well done I might add. Kudos Phil and Vinny.:cool::biggrin:

BBQchef33
02-11-2008, 11:30 PM
yup, im sitting back and absorbing. i dont want to say anything that someone may take as a ruling or anything that may derail you guys.. The more you all speak and throw out ideas, the more we have to choose from when we sit to really figure things out. For now, we hashed out some lightweight guidelines to start with and tweak as we go. It can get rolling sooner rather than later if we just go simple at first and then build on it.

i really like jeffs input of having a trainer on board of there are people there looking for mentoring. but thats also up to the team lead if he want that, or he want to have the mentee's participate as dishwashers, pitbitches, etc at which point the are and integral part of the team. Again, this is ALL decided my the team organizer and participants.

i was somewhat hesitant about having 'regional leadership" this puts someone 'in charge" of deciding dates and such etc, because that leaves that person open for criticism or being the 'bad guy'. i think just sign up, so first come first serve takes bad feelings out of the equations.

Also, id like to see the mentoring forum used for additional participants. Meaning if you have your team of 4 set already, and can use 2 more sets of hands, put the call in the mentoring forum first to see if theres a member interested.

this has huge potential to go off in a few directions simultaneously and all good.. amazing what u guys started.. keep it going!

WannaBeBBQueen
02-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Hey Phil and Vinny, I'll do what ever I can to help on our end, just let me know what I can do:biggrin:

This sounds like an awesome idea!!

ThomEmery
02-12-2008, 07:57 AM
I will cook one out here

Pig Headed
02-12-2008, 09:09 AM
I volunteer my services for this endeavor.

ique
02-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Sounds fun.

But hasnt been done before and may introduce some new scenarios for those that administer things like KCBS team of the year and the Jack draw. For instance in the Jack draw one rule is...

If any team is the only “Grand Champion” from its home state and it has not been selected via a state draw, that team will be invited to represent its state. Home state is determined by the address of the chief cook.

... Who is the chief cook? Does it change every weekend? I know when they are doing the draw it is assumed a team has one chief cook.

... one the other hand, if you make Phil the chief cook, is that allowed for contests he is not even cooking?

Diva
02-12-2008, 10:31 AM
When the list is made up for the invitationals they are addressed to the Chief cook at the event that was won. Let's say that three contests were won and there are three different chief cooks....that will definitely cause confusion and I don't really have an answer as to the outcome because I don't believe that it has ever occurred.

Plowboy
02-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Sounds fun.

But hasnt been done before and may introduce some new scenarios for those that administer things like KCBS team of the year and the Jack draw. For instance in the Jack draw one rule is...

If any team is the only “Grand Champion” from its home state and it has not been selected via a state draw, that team will be invited to represent its state. Home state is determined by the address of the chief cook.

... Who is the chief cook? Does it change every weekend? I know when they are doing the draw it is assumed a team has one chief cook.

... one the other hand, if you make Phil the chief cook, is that allowed for contests he is not even cooking?

When the list is made up for the invitationals they are addressed to the Chief cook at the event that was won. Let's say that three contests were won and there are three different chief cooks....that will definitely cause confusion and I don't really have an answer as to the outcome because I don't believe that it has ever occurred.

Definitely shaking it up! I love it!

Diva - How does KCBS TOY work with this scenario? Does TOY go by Chief Cook or team?

Scottie
02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
It's got to be all about the Chief Cook. I know that if a Chief Cook won 2 GC's, they would have to declare which team they wanted to be in the Jack draw for...

Scottie

Diva
02-12-2008, 11:17 AM
They go by team name for TOY.

Scottie
02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Really? How would that preclude someone from competing on the same weekend and under the same name?

I know you don't care, but just thinking out loud... ;-)

Plowboy
02-12-2008, 11:28 AM
They go by team name for TOY.

I sense a rule change coming for 2009. :rolleyes:

Paola Greg
02-12-2008, 11:56 AM
We did 15 contests last year. Eric and I are teammates, I usually send in the entries as chief cook. We both were at 13 of the contests, however Eric went solo to one when I couldn't go, and I went solo to one when he couldn't go.
Of course we always entered under our team name,,,,,

Diva
02-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Really? How would that preclude someone from competing on the same weekend and under the same name?

I know you don't care, but just thinking out loud... ;-)

I care. It would be obvious if someone used the same team name on the same dates when I received the sheets from the contest representatives. I check for that kind of stuff every week.

DawgPhan
02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
I care. It would be obvious if someone used the same team name on the same dates when I received the sheets from the contest representatives. I check for that kind of stuff every week.

What do you do when you have teams with very similar or the same names? I know that it is proving to be a pain for me, but what do you do with it?

arlieque
02-12-2008, 04:16 PM
This would be great and I really see no problems as long as you dont cook two contest under the same name the same weekend.

The_Kapn
02-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Been sitting back following this thread.
"Interesting" concept.

A couple of "challenges" have not been discussed.
That is "qualifiers" and TOTY honors.

What if:

Five different teams win AR qualifiers.
Who cooks at the AR?
A team of 187 guys???? :lol:

Five different teams win Jack qualifiers.
The first one drawn (if I understand correctly) gets the single invite.
If one of those teams wins in a state with only one Jack qualifier- they are "in" and the other teams do not even get to participate in the draw.
Who cooks the Jack?
A team of 187 guys????:lol:

If the "National" team wins or places high in the KCBS (or other body) TOTY rankings, who walks at the banquet?
187 guys????? :lol:

If the "National" team is in the top 10 in one or more sanctioning body TOTY standings, who gets the nod to go to Douglas for Best of the Best? A team of 187 guys????? :lol:

If a "National" team has a really (really) bad night, gets into the Margarita machine way too much, and gets ejected/banned---??????:oops:
Restated, what if a "National" teams does anything, even by accident, to cause credibility problems--now what?
Who suffers?
A team of 187 guys??? :evil:

Just some thoughts.

Beleive me, I am totally neutral on this proposal.
Just a lot of "land mines" to navigate to pull it off.

TIM

BBQchef33
02-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Wow.... Talk about over thinking stuff...

Since Vinny isnt here, i'll offer my 2 cents on some of the stuff.. First, Lets not over analyze.. this was thought to be a fun project to get people involved, mix up some teams and possibly get some folks out there that wouldnt otherwise compete at all. I really doubt we are looking at anything more than a handful of teams doing it. (go ahead guys, prove me wrong. :eusa_clap)

I would think chief cook would be the chief cook of that team, decided when the team signs up to cook a contest. Same as dispersals of winnings and sharing the contest costs, etc.. If they get a JACK or AR entry, its theirs. So is the payout and so is the investment in. If we get a bunch of entries to the Jack or AR, all under the National Team, each team that earned it can cook under a regional name, making it unique. Like "BBQ-Brethren - MoFo's" and BBQ-Brethren - Texas. And again, its based on the chief cook of that team, Dispersals of investment and winnings it team centric.

As far as TOY.. LOL... When we figure out how to consistently get 670 and 680's.... beat Mike Davis, Rod, Quau, ButtRub AND beat their top 10 highest scores, then we can worry about that stuff.

Regarding banned/ejection.. I would hope that as a representative of a 'national team', members would act accordingly. but in the worse case....again.. Chief cook is responsible. Same thing that stops them from coming back under a different team name in todays rules.

I checked with no less than 3 authorities on this. This actually has been done before on a smaller scale. As long as the team does not cook on the same turn-in day, its allowed.

So to quote an answer that I have been given on many occasions to another 'burning' question... :wink:....

It's within the rules, so its allowed. :mrgreen:

The_Kapn
02-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Gotcha PooBah.
Understood.

TIM

MilitantSquatter
02-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I've real shaken the tree now...huh ?? Brethren Revolution !!!! :biggrin:

I think it's a fun project/idea that may or may not take off as originally conceived. It could certainly change some dynamics but I'd hate to see anyone get all crazy about this in thinking we are going to all of a sudden goin to dominate KCBS, FBA, IBCA etc., win 20 GC's/year and get multiple state titles and invites to the special invitationals etc. and start requesting that all rules be re-written, form a KCBS exploratory committee to investigate and squash it thinking we are trying to cheat, make a mockery of the system etc.

While some have expressed early interest, time will tell to see who really wants to/has the time/resources to head up a team for an event beyond just wanting to hook on to a contest pre-arranged by others. Equipment and cash are needed along with time. So my guess is that tenured members who compete today would likely be the initial members thinking they can get something going in their area as a side project or go all out under the team only.

I think it will be on a relatively small scale to start. Phils got some dates, I've tentatively got a few and some others may too..

Those who have their own team already and plan to keep would need to figure out their personal plans to see what's feasible as additional events or decide if they want to change their team name/dynamic at events they planned to do anyway.

My thought is that the chief cook and teammates per contest would be the ones who cooked an Invite etc. as they earned it. Same for cash winnings, trophies, ribbons etc. being split between those team members. A Jack or Royal entry should be first to the team members that actually won the qualifier. They may want to allow other members of the Brethren team to join them from other areas to keep with the national team concept either by cooking or hanging out, whatever they wanted.

TOY is probably a longshot but a potential goal... Even if we cooked 50 contests, we would still need to be at an elite level at 20% of them to even be in the mix. Not east to say the least. It could though allow the team to move higher in the rankings based on the rew rule of needing 10 contests if we collectively turned in some solid showings.

I'd not even want to think about a potential team getting banned etc. Competing under the name should mean certain unwritten standards about conduct.

Que'inKC
02-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Well I've been reading through this thread and getting more excited as it goes along...Obviously I am very new to this and new to the site, but I would gladly offer my services in the midwest at whatever capacity and would be honored to be mentored by you guys...

txschutte
02-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I would be willing to cook a contest or 2 for the National Team. I will be incurring the expenses anyhow. Also with my ability to cook only 3 or 4 contests for my first year with the "Big Dogs", I would hate to see any victory points I could earn go to waste. I would much rather them go to the overall cause for other teams to "FEAR THE PIG!"

Phil, Vinny, if there is any way I can help get the ball rolling out here, let me know.

ThomEmery
02-12-2008, 09:21 PM
So We could be BBQ Brethren So Cal Office?

Thinking about cooking Palm Desert IBCA with this

Jeff_in_KC
02-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Got something potentially in the works here... I'll let Phil know when it formulates a bit further.

Plowboy
02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Got something potentially in the works here... I'll let Phil know when it formulates a bit further.

Free entry to Smokin' on the Creek? :wink:

BBQchef33
02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Not including my 4 contests, looks like we may have 4 more on the burner already.. this may just pan out. :eek::tongue::eusa_clap

HoDeDo
02-12-2008, 11:40 PM
This would be great. I'm in with gear, $$ or whatever. I'm not sure how I missed this thread until now.... Already entered in the GAB, or I'd be all over that one with ya too...

Bigmista
02-13-2008, 12:13 PM
So We could be BBQ Brethren So Cal Office?

Thinking about cooking Palm Desert IBCA with this

Thom, when did Palm desert get moved to? Maybe we could do a brethren team then?

ThomEmery
02-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Thats it Palm Desert The BBQ Brethren So Cal Spicewines
You me and lets ask Norco

Bigmista
02-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Assuming this becomes official, can we have the first weekend in April?

Palm Desert, IBCA contest.

MilitantSquatter
02-14-2008, 06:51 PM
You're in Mista !!! Just be sure to offiically enter as BBQ-Brethren.com on the application.

I'm keeping the schedule right now offline until a few more dates get finalized. Phil's got a few, I have a few others I'm working on and Plowboy's got a potential project going for late April. Looks like Schutte might have something going in TX too.

I'll get an official schedule going soon.

But for now, if anyone is definitely in please send me a PM with the contest name, date, sanctioning body and team members. If you are seeking additional help beyond your usual teammates or any Brethren you've decided to partner with, you can also put out a call for mentoring or partners. Just be sure to check in with me first to ensure the contest date is not already being reserved.

Bigdog
02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Assuming this becomes official, can we have the first weekend in April?

Palm Desert, IBCA contest.

Will that beat up old smoker be fixed by then?:razz:

Sledneck
02-14-2008, 07:14 PM
I know we cant do 2 kcbs on the same day turn in> What would be really cool would be to get a KCBS, IBCA, FBA and others all on the same weeknd going

SP
02-15-2008, 08:57 AM
So Jeff, Todd, Andy etc. anyboby up for a KC contest? Im wide open. I've only got the GAB at this point. I'll cook, run or whatever needs to be done.

Que'inKC
02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm also available to act as Pit Bitch, Beer getter, Dish Washer, etc...

Plowboy
02-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Andy and I have something in the works. Got to figure out some details before we post.

Clay, if you wanted to look at a contest on April 11 or April 18, I'd be available. Couldn't get there until Friday night, though.

Pyle's BBQ
02-15-2008, 10:33 AM
What would happen to the equipment that is sometimes part of the prize package?

Say a Treagers 075 is the prize for GC. What would we do with this?

BBQchef33
02-15-2008, 10:52 AM
This should be looked at the same it would be if a group of guys got together to cook any comp. Prizes and expenses all belong to the team. They work out the expenses, prizes, etc among themsleves. So how would you handle an equipment split among any team? Sell it and split the sale? Draw straws, eenie-meeny-miney-moe? Whatever.. its for the team to decide..

We did ask that if there is a windfall winning,(thousands) after expenses, that a small percentage go back to a fund to be used for National team expenses. (Banners, travel, common supplies, etc..)

Every contest is 100% team/particiapant unique, except for the team name. It is ONE team consisiting of ALL TENURED BRETHREN participating at different times.

txschutte
02-15-2008, 11:14 AM
You're in Mista !!! Just be sure to offiically enter as BBQ Brethren.com on the application.

I'm keeping the schedule right now offline until a few more dates get finalized. Phil's got a few, I have a few others I'm working on and Plowboy's got a potential project going for late April. Looks like Schutte might have something going in TX too.

I'll get an official schedule going soon.

But for now, if anyone is definitely in please send me a PM with the contest name, date, sanctioning body and team members. If you are seeking additional help beyond your usual teammates or any Brethren you've decided to partner with, you can also put out a call for mentoring or partners. Just be sure to check in with me first to ensure the contest date is not already being reserved.
Schutte doesn't have anything going in TX. Schutte is doing more local non-sanctioned events in NE. Schutte would, however be willing to participate in something in KS with another Brother if he/she reserves a date for a comp.

ZBQ
02-15-2008, 11:42 AM
This should be looked at the same it would be if a group of guys got together to cook any comp. Prizes and expenses all belong to the team. They work out the expenses, prizes, etc among themsleves. So how would you handle an equipment split among any team? Sell it and split the sale? Draw straws, eenie-meeny-miney-moe? Whatever.. its for the team to decide..

We did ask that if there is a windfall winning,(thousands) after expenses, that a small percentage go back to a fund to be used for National team expenses. (Banners, travel, common supplies, etc..)

Every contest is 100% team/particiapant unique, except for the team name. It is ONE team consisiting of ALL TENURED BRETHREN participating at different times.

I have been following this thread with great intrest.

The one thing I didn't see explained clearly was what "Tenured Brethren" means.
If it was explained and I just missed it, I appologize.

I am assuming it is the same as the requirements to receive a Brethren Team Banner?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm really interested in doing the GAB.
Wife is checking on time off from work.

PM sent to Phil and Vinny

Pyle's BBQ
02-15-2008, 01:37 PM
How do we let teams know that you would like to help or be part of a team near where you live. I have done several comps but have never been the head cook. I could travel up to four hours in any direction to be at a comp. Should we have a sign-up thread that head cooks can go to for team mambers that have the desire to be a part of the team?

BBQchef33
02-15-2008, 02:43 PM
I have been following this thread with great intrest.

The one thing I didn't see explained clearly was what "Tenured Brethren" means.
If it was explained and I just missed it, I appologize.

I am assuming it is the same as the requirements to receive a Brethren Team Banner?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm really interested in doing the GAB.
Wife is checking on time off from work.

PM sent to Phil and Vinny

thats pretty much it.. Same criteria as for a banner would be to be on a team. That criteria is on the banner thread in the 'general for sale' forum.

How do we let teams know that you would like to help or be part of a team near where you live. I have done several comps but have never been the head cook. I could travel up to four hours in any direction to be at a comp. Should we have a sign-up thread that head cooks can go to for team mambers that have the desire to be a part of the team?

look in the mentoring forum.. You can sign up as "available" for teams that sign up in your area.

Spydermike72
02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
I would be willing to join some Brethren in the Great Lakes Area, I have a multitude of cookers (look at my sig) I would be willing to travel 4-6 hours one way. Keep me in mind.

Plowboy
02-15-2008, 04:18 PM
My suggestion for those that want to "Join" a team is to START a team. Look for a contest in your area or an area you'd like to cook in. Check with Vinnie to see if the date is available for the "national team". Reserve it, and start building your team. Reach out to people that you'd like to cook with. Post here for opportunities for others. Figure out who pays for what, and you have your own version of the National Team.

Don't wait for offers... make your own opportunities.

Sawdustguy
02-15-2008, 05:18 PM
My suggestion for those that want to "Join" a team is to START a team. Look for a contest in your area or an area you'd like to cook in. Check with Vinnie to see if the date is available for the "national team". Reserve it, and start building your team. Reach out to people that you'd like to cook with. Post here for opportunities for others. Figure out who pays for what, and you have your own version of the National Team.

Don't wait for offers... make your own opportunities.

Remember, there has to be at least two tenured members and all members have to be brethren.

MilitantSquatter
02-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Remember, there has to be at least two tenured members and all members have to be brethren.

We originally said that one tenured member is a must, preferably two or more if possible. It cannot be a hard and fast rule. If a tenured Brethren member is going out and putting up the cash, and they have a strong desire to represent the Brethren, it should not be deterred.

This might be the case where a Brethren may cook with their wife, family member etc. who comes with them etc. or they are in an isolated location etc.

In my case as an example, I may be cooking an event but my brother in law, or my father may be coming with me although they are not an official member. In other case, I may have an all Brethren team. I think each situation is unique and should be treated as such.

Plowboy
02-15-2008, 06:19 PM

That doesn't prevent someone that doesn't meet the tenure requirements to initiate a team. They just have to find a tenured member to join.

Brauma
02-18-2008, 02:02 PM
I haven't talked to BeerGuy since reading this thread but I'm sure he will feel the same. I'm a proud member of the Brethren with tenure but no comp experience. We have a non-sanctioned comp (and Bash) coming up this summer and it will be our first. We're looking for another comp to enter before that if we can find one.

I don't want to ask to fly the Brethren National Team colors until we have a few comps under our belts. Now, I'm sure we'll be wearing our Brethren T-shirts and caps at these comps so we'll be promoting the Brethren. But we wont represent until we have our chit together.

I have talked with John with Pigs on the Run many times about being a pit bitch but never could synch up (my fault). He did extend more than one invite and I thank him for that. My schedule is hectic with two kids 6 & 3 and I'm taking night classes. So I'll do what I can when time allows.

If any team in our area needs a pit bitch or an extra set of hands please think of me and BeerGuy. We want to help and learn.

Bbq Bubba
03-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I would be willing to join some Brethren in the Great Lakes Area, I have a multitude of cookers (look at my sig) I would be willing to travel 4-6 hours one way. Keep me in mind.

Missed this until now Mike, but maybe you, me, Tonto n Bud, Michiana Mark, Ford, Julie, ???

We could easily do a all Brethren team.....
Have your people call my people :wink:

Spydermike72
03-15-2008, 07:37 PM
We could be the Michigan Mafia !! I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I can only do the 3 here in Michigan on my own. Let's do lunch !!

swamprb
03-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Do they have to be KCBS sanctioned comps? So far as I can tell there is only one sanctioned in Oregon. Still waiting for updates on the schedule here in the PNW.
http://www.pnwba.com/

MilitantSquatter
03-17-2008, 07:44 AM
No.. They do not have to be KCBS sanctioned comps. Dustaway already competed in an IBCA event in TX under the name. BigMista is doing the same in CA in a few weeks.

We'd like to get some more KCBS events in as well.

Please see the other thread going on the actual schedule so far.

hcarter
03-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I think this is a great idea, but I am soooo the guy with no money and no comp experience. I do however spend alot of time here in my "office." I would like to help out at comps, and maybe learn a little along the way. If anyone needs any help doing research on the web for anything, let me know. I'd like to help out in any small way that I can.

MilitantSquatter
03-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I think this is a great idea, but I am soooo the guy with no money and no comp experience. I do however spend alot of time here in my "office." I would like to help out at comps, and maybe learn a little along the way. If anyone needs any help doing research on the web for anything, let me know. I'd like to help out in any small way that I can.

Thanks Howard... My suggestion would be to put up a post in the Mentoring section stating your availability in your area and see if any established teams can use some help or are willing to teach you a few things as it relates to comps.

Jeff Hughes
03-17-2008, 08:11 PM

Wanna come to Tulsa Ok in the middle of July?

We're on the schedule and I need a night shift guy....

hcarter
03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Wanna come to Tulsa Ok in the middle of July?

We're on the schedule and I need a night shift guy....

Brother, you have no idea!! If I was closer, I'd be there. Even though I'm fairly sure you were kidding, (Tulsa in the middle of July....Night Shift Guy...riiiiggghhhttt. :shock:) I appreciate the offer.

JD McGee
03-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Ok...while having coffee with Swamprb this afternoon he asked if I was interested in entering a competition or two this year as "BBQ Brethren.com"...my deer in the headlights look meant I had NO idea what he was talking about...but he's my BBQ Bro and I naturally said "sure...sounds like fun". :biggrin: So...in a nutshell...without having to read 9 pages of thread...what exactly did I sign up for!?:cool:

MilitantSquatter
03-21-2008, 09:06 PM
You've potentially signed up to represent everything the Brethren represent..

Going out to a contest, having a ton of fun, hopefully performing to the best of your capabilities and letting other people feed off it and hopefully let a few others know what we are about if the opportunity arises...

FEAR THE PIG !!!

Brian had reached out to me recently. Glad he's trying to rope you in. We'll look forward to the details as you guys finalize plans to see if it works for you guys and we'll add you to the team schedule

We'll all be here to help & support you guys in the Pacific Northwest if needed!!!

K I N G P I N
03-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Vinnie, I would love to help. I think I am tenured but have NO COMP experience. I work every other weekend so timing is critical for me to assist.

Let me know any plans, I will even be the graveyard shift pit bitch.

Jeff Hughes
03-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Brother, you have no idea!! If I was closer, I'd be there. Even though I'm fairly sure you were kidding, (Tulsa in the middle of July....Night Shift Guy...riiiiggghhhttt. :shock:) I appreciate the offer.

I am not kidding, I really need a night shift guy....

JD McGee
03-22-2008, 10:29 AM
You've potentially signed up to represent everything the Brethren represent..

Going out to a contest, having a ton of fun, hopefully performing to the best of your capabilities and letting other people feed off it and hopefully let a few others know what we are about if the opportunity arises...

FEAR THE PIG !!!

Brian had reached out to me recently. Glad he's trying to rope you in. We'll look forward to the details as you guys finalize plans to see if it works for you guys and we'll add you to the team schedule

We'll all be here to help & support you guys in the Pacific Northwest if needed!!!

Well...in that case...I'm DEFINITELY in...Hey Brian...I think we're gonna need a new banner! :-P:-P:-P

QansasjayhawQ
03-22-2008, 12:38 PM
What? I'll bet it will get down into the low 90's overnight . . . :wink:

JD McGee
03-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Question...Can there be more than one "BBQ Brethren" team competing in the same comp? I'm thinking along the lines of different "chapters". For example Brian and I could enter as "BBQ Brethren.com" Bothell, WA Chapter...that way another Brethren team could enter under a different chapter name. Thoughts?

BBQchef33
03-22-2008, 09:46 PM
One should keep the BBQ-Brethren name stand alone to stay with the national team, and the other can put something else behind it.. Putting a Chapter name is a good idea.

MilitantSquatter
03-22-2008, 10:04 PM
One should keep the BBQ-Brethren name stand alone to stay with the national team, and the other can put something else behind it.. Putting a Chapter name is a good idea.

I agree. For the "national team" we would like to have one unified name as BBQ-Brethren.com.

If down the road, we have multiple teams wishing to compete and associate their BBQ Brethren affiliation they should certainly feel welcome to enter as something like "BBQ Brethren-XXX Chapter" or if they have a sub team name ex. "BBQ Brethren-Bad Bones" or etc. if they don't want to enter under the national team name for any reason or more than one team is at a particular contest or going on the same weekend the national team is going.

JD McGee
03-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Got it...if we wanted to display a banner how would you want it designed? So we're all on the same page. I'm thinking something like this..

BBQ-Brethren.com
(Logo) National BBQ Competition Team
Seattle, WA

Thoughts?...