PDA

View Full Version : Smoke & Steam May 10th Oyster Bay, NY

YankeeBBQ
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Grilling contest. That's all I'm gonna say for now. It's in the works. When it's official I will post details. This is just a heads up. Don't go cancelling your annual vacation or anything I don't want to get blamed.

SmokeInDaEye
02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Fortunately my calendar is wide open that day, I own a couple grills AND I live on Long Island!!!!

nancee
02-05-2008, 05:33 PM
anyone know if there is any other NEBS or MABBQA event that weekend before I write any more checks?
thanks
nancee
ps Steve, What do you know about Westport CT and Troy, NY?

Grilling contest. That's all I'm gonna say for now. It's in the works. When it's official I will post details. This is just a heads up. Don't go cancelling your annual vacation or anything I don't want to get blamed.

SmokeInDaEye
02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Any more word on this, Steve?

YankeeBBQ
02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Any more word on this, Steve?

Actually I emailed the organizer today for an update, they were waiting for final approval from the town for a street closure. I haven't heard back yet. Motoeric might know more than me since I dragged him into it LOL.

LindaM
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
anyone know if there is any other NEBS or MABBQA event that weekend before I write any more checks?
thanks
nancee

Nancee,

I believe the Westport CT contest is in conjunction with a local radio or newpaper. Tom Christine is involved with it so if you contact him maybe you can find out more.

Don and Leslie Lovely are the reps for both of those contests I believe

Linda

motoeric
02-27-2008, 07:23 PM
This is pretty odd. Independantly of Steve I also emailed the organizer today. We had some pretty productive email/phone conversations but I haven't heard anything in a while.

I'll update as soon as I have some info.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
02-27-2008, 08:18 PM
This is pretty odd. Independantly of Steve I also emailed the organizer today. We had some pretty productive email/phone conversations but I haven't heard anything in a while.

I'll update as soon as I have some info.

Eric

Cool. Let me know if you need other options.

MilitantSquatter
02-27-2008, 08:21 PM
What town is it tentatively scheduled for ?

motoeric
02-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Oyster Bay

Eric

Pig Headed
02-28-2008, 09:25 AM
thanks
nancee

Nancee,

MABBQA is having a comp. in Conowingo,MD May 10. It's on their website I believe.

YankeeBBQ
03-03-2008, 06:57 AM
I am pleased to announce the first Smoke n' Steam grilling event for May 10, 7am to 4pm on the Audrey Ave. extension in the Town of Oyster Bay, NY. Details and application will be available probably early next week.

WannaBeBBQueen
03-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Date saved...can't wait to hear the details:biggrin:

Sledneck
03-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Cant wait! Had to cancel our cruise to attend this event and the wife aint happy bout it . She will get over it though........ eventually

Westexbbq
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Sounds like fun, no cruise for me, so I am looking forward to this.

SmokeInDaEye
03-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I love to steam me some meat! Can't wait.

YankeeBBQ
03-03-2008, 01:04 PM
I love to steam me some meat! Can't wait.

Well the steam reference is there because The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum is putting on the contest.

SmokeInDaEye
03-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Well the steam reference is there because The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum is putting on the contest.

Ah ha. I suppose boiling is out too?:biggrin:

Any idea what the categories will be yet? Maybe oysters given the venue?

K I N G P I N
03-03-2008, 01:36 PM
I hearing that cooking will be involved!!!!

YankeeBBQ
03-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Ah ha. I suppose boiling is out too?:biggrin:

Any idea what the categories will be yet? Maybe oysters given the venue?

No idea what the categories are yet. I'm pretty sure fish sticks won't be allowed though.

Sledneck
03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
No idea what the categories are yet. I'm pretty sure fish sticks won't be allowed though.
No fish sticks? Boycott!!!

Westexbbq
03-03-2008, 07:12 PM

Very cool, rode the Oyster Bay line years ago and have a whistle of recent note that I can bring as well.:rolleyes:
Keep us posted.
Thanks.

motoeric
03-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Categories:

Chicken
Beef Steak
Pork Chop
Oysters

Email condrben@aol.com to receive a copy of the event application.

It looks to be a lot of fun.

They will have a band and the price to enter is reasonable.

I hope to see a Brethren sweep.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
03-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Categories:

Chicken
Beef Steak
Pork Chop
Oysters

Email condrben@aol.com to receive a copy of the event application.

It looks to be a lot of fun.

They will have a band and the price to enter is reasonable.

I hope to see a Brethren sweep.

Eric

Sweet categories! I can't wait.

SmokeInDaEye
03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Got the application today. Great job, Steve.

The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum is pleased to announce our first ever-grilling competition to benefit and raise awareness of our museum in the New York area. Team grilling will be conducted on the Audrey Ave. extension and railroad plaza of the national landmark Oyster Bay train station. This event is to be sanctioned by the New England BBQ Society (NEBS) and will proceed, rain or shine.

Cash prizes and trophies will be awarded based on the aggregate pool of teams entered. Every effort will be made to secure additional prizes, if available.

Entertainment provided by blues/rock group Cadillac Moon.

Entry fee donations are $100, and are tax deductible as per New York State guidelines. Make checks payable to Oyster Bay Railroad Museum. Entries will be accepted in the order received.

The categories for this year include beef steak, pork chop, chicken, and oysters. Turn in times are as follows:

Beef Steak 12pm, NEBS rules and garnish
Pork Chop 12:30pm, NEBS rules and garnish
Chicken 1pm, NEBS rules and garnish
Oysters 1:30pm, Open garnish, herbs and veggies only

Please, no skewers or toothpicks!

Got a question? Contact ben jankowski at 516-318-6722, or e-mail at condrben@aol.com

take the train! Any well-wishers or visitors can arrive on the lirr at Oyster Bay and a short walk to the contest. Trains arrive at thirty-eight after the hour every two hours. Consult LIRR Oyster Bay timetables for further information

SmokeInDaEye
04-05-2008, 03:31 PM
So, who all is signed? About one month to go.

Westexbbq
04-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Pretty sure I will be a judge.
Looking forward to the gig.

motoeric
04-05-2008, 11:35 PM
There are still slots open. It seems like it will be a good time. Friends, band, grilling.

Send Ben an email and we will see you there.

Eric

motoeric
04-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I had a meeting with the organizer this evening. Some very good news:

1) The time constraints have been lifted. Competitors do NOT have to be packed up and on their way by 4:00. The competitors area has been moved to an area where we can stay and hang a bit, so no rush.

2) The competitors amenities are building quickly and look pretty sweet. I'm going to demand a goodie bag for helping out. If you are a fan of beer, sign up. Seriously, sign up.

3) The oysters for the oyster category are being given to the teams gratis and are provided by a local purveyor.

4) The area is beautiful. It is about a block from Oyster Bay park, which is gorgeous. Nice neighborhood, nice town. I'm thinking that we could have a Brethren potluck dinner on the beach after if people are interested.

There is still room for competitors and I suggest that you sign up. It looks like it will be a great time and we hope to have it grow into a full blown BBQ event.

Eric

nancee
04-10-2008, 10:12 PM
sounds fantastic Eric. Looking forward to it. We are signed up...who else is in?
nancee

MAsQue
04-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Sounds like this is really shaping up to be a good time.

Not to start a discussion like last year's "What is a fish?", but does anyone have the official definition of a pork chop? Presumably it's being cut from the loin, but does it have to have a bone in it? How thick can it be? I looked on the NEBS site, but couldn't find anything.

motoeric
04-10-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm thinking very seriously about competing at this event. If I can ensure that I'm not needed on that day operationally, I'm in.

Team BBQ Illuminati.

We really should rename this thread.

Eric

Sledneck
04-11-2008, 06:50 AM

Not to start a discussion like last year's "What is a fish?", but does anyone have the official definition of a pork chop? Presumably it's being cut from the loin, but does it have to have a bone in it? How thick can it be? I looked on the NEBS site, but couldn't find anything.
As far as i know it doesn't have to be bone in and any thickness OK as well.

YankeeBBQ
04-11-2008, 08:24 AM

Blade Chops, Rib Chops, Loin Chops, Sirloin chops, bone in, boneless,1/4 inch or 2 inch double cut. It's all good. The rules were meant to be simple and give you options. Don't over think it.

Sledneck
04-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm thinking very seriously about competing at this event. If I can ensure that I'm not needed on that day operationally, I'm in.

Team BBQ Illuminati.

We really should rename this thread.

EricEric you should.I think you need a perspective from our side of things.

willkat98
04-11-2008, 08:46 AM
As far as i know it doesn't have to be bone in and any thickness OK as well.

Get those hugh honkers from Costco.

Those are awesome pork chops

MAsQue
04-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Thank you all for the clarifying info on pork chops. I didn't want to have to scrounge up a butcher shop in Oyster Bay at 8:00 in the morning.

motoeric
04-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Eric you should.I think you need a perspective from our side of things.

Does anyone think that there would be a concern from some competitors if i was part of a team and still was assisting on the organizing side at the event. I would (obviously) not be judging.

And would there be any hard feelings if as a newcomer I won the coveted 13th place chicken?

Eric

Sledneck
04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Does anyone think that there would be a concern from some competitors if i was part of a team and still was assisting on the organizing side at the event. I would (obviously) not be judging.

And would there be any hard feelings if as a newcomer I won the coveted 13th place chicken?

Eric
I do not see a problem. To win 13th place chicken out of 6 teams would be impressive.

motoeric
04-11-2008, 05:10 PM
We are well past 6 teams.

As a side note, is anyone interested in a 'potluck' breakfast? I'm going to probably make up some breakfast burritos. Let me know if you are interested, so I know how much to cook.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
04-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Do you know if I'm on the list of teams, Eric? I never got a confirmation email and haven't looked to see if the check cleared.

motoeric
04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't know. Sorry. I'll check with Ben and get a list of those current and those pending.

Eric

Q Haven
04-11-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm probably going to do this one....

motoeric
04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Great! I look forward to seeing you there.

You may want to look into the Stony Brook Ferry as opposed to the Orient Point Ferry.

Eric

Q Haven
04-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Since we're not going to bring the camper we'll probably just drive it....thanks though.

Sawdustguy
04-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Great! I look forward to seeing you there.

You may want to look into the Stony Brook Ferry as opposed to the Orient Point Ferry.

Eric

Don't you mean Port Jefferson - Bridgeport Ferry?

motoeric
04-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Yes. Thanks.

Eric

Sledneck
04-12-2008, 01:59 PM
We are well past 6 teams.

Eric
Ooooooook then how many ?

Sledneck
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks Eric for the speedy reply on the team count.:rolleyes:. According to this letter I received this morning we are looking at 10-12 teams.
Dear All,

First, I want to thank you for entering the first Smoke N' Steam event. This means a lot to us at the Oyster Bay RR Museum, and I'll strive to make it an enjoyable day for all.

I have received all of your checks and will be cashing them shortly. There is some further good news for all of you. Frank Flower and Sons is donating the oysters for this event. There should be ten to twelve raw oysters in the shell per team, and all are of the Pine Island variety right from Oyster Bay.

More teams have inquired about the event, so expect ten to twelve teams as the final tally. I'll pass along more information as I get it.

Good luck to you all!

Ben Jankowski
Oyster Bay RR Museum

Sawdustguy
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks Eric for the speedy reply on the team count.:rolleyes:. According to this letter I received this morning we are looking at 10-12 teams.
Dear All,

First, I want to thank you for entering the first Smoke N' Steam event. This means a lot to us at the Oyster Bay RR Museum, and I'll strive to make it an enjoyable day for all.

I have received all of your checks and will be cashing them shortly. There is some further good news for all of you. Frank Flower and Sons is donating the oysters for this event. There should be ten to twelve raw oysters in the shell per team, and all are of the Pine Island variety right from Oyster Bay.

More teams have inquired about the event, so expect ten to twelve teams as the final tally. I'll pass along more information as I get it.

Good luck to you all!

Ben Jankowski
Oyster Bay RR Museum

All you need to know is that the Polocks will be there.

Sledneck
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
All you need to know is that the Polocks will be there.
You know what guy? You are right! Can't wait to try a polish oyster, should be interesting!:eek::biggrin:

kyles Q crew
04-14-2008, 05:57 PM
it will be interesting! should be a good event

CMALANGA
04-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I'll be there as a judge. Can't wait. Hopefully I'll get to meaqt some brothers face to face.

Sledneck
04-14-2008, 09:32 PM
I'll be there as a judge. Can't wait. Hopefully I'll get to meaqt some brothers face to face. Stop by (afterwards of course) Just realized you are in Farmingdale. Ahhh the memories.I had a good 2 years at SUNY over there.

lunchlady
04-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Eric

Yes, I personally WOULD think that there might be some concern about an 'assistant organizer' competing. Could be it's just me, but it is all in how it appears to others, not in what you actually DO.
I am honestly not trying to bust yer chops... (heheh, chops... get it?) ... I am just saying. This has come up in the past and I have pretty much been adamantly against the organizer, or any reasonable facsimile thereof, competing at their own event. This is my opinion.

How are you assisting?
Did you help to get judges?
Were you involved in the category selection?
Did you mention this to your Rep?

Seeing as it is a first time event though... hmmmm...

motoeric
04-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Yes, I personally WOULD think that there might be some concern about an 'assistant organizer' competing.

How are you assisting?
Did you help to get judges?
Were you involved in the category selection?
Did you mention this to your Rep?

Assistant Organizer? Wow. I much prefer 'Independent BBQ Event Consultant'

To answer your questions in order:

1) I am mostly answering questions about how events are run and offering advice when asked.
2) Yes. By 'get', people who were interested sent me their contact info, which I forwarded to Ben. I have sent out one blanket letter asking them to confirm that they were still interested.
3) No.
4) I haven't spoken to the rep yet.

Would this prove to be a problem for you? Does anyone else have any opinions on this matter?

Thanks,

Eric

lunchlady
04-17-2008, 08:44 AM
I love "Independent BBQ consultant"! That's awesome!

The biggest problem, in MY mind, would be the interaction with judges, whatever it was.

That being said, it probably wouldn't deter me from cooking the event. I am on the fence right now ONLY because of previous commitments. BUT... you could hear a bunch of crap, especially if your team happened to win it.
Eric, I really don't want to 'bash' your event in any way, but this particular issue has been a sticking point with me for quite a while now.

I am thrilled that Smoke N Steam is happening, and I hope to be able to come down.

SmokeInDaEye
04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I love "Independent BBQ consultant"! That's awesome!

The biggest problem, in MY mind, would be the interaction with judges, whatever it was.

That being said, it probably wouldn't deter me from cooking the event. I am on the fence right now ONLY because of previous commitments. BUT... you could hear a bunch of crap, especially if your team happened to win it.
Eric, I really don't want to 'bash' your event in any way, but this particular issue has been a sticking point with me for quite a while now.

I am thrilled that Smoke N Steam is happening, and I hope to be able to come down.

You better come down. Need to make sure Eric doesn't win!:biggrin:

Seriously, as long as there is no interaction with judges, I wouldn't have an issue with him competing. Should be fun either way.

Transformer BBQ
04-17-2008, 09:26 AM
You better come down. Need to make sure Eric doesn't win!:biggrin:

Seriously, as long as there is no interaction with judges, I wouldn't have an issue with him competing. Should be fun either way.

I'm with Michelle on this one.

There has been interaction with judges already if they have mailed him things, and he has mailed them back.

motoeric
04-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Ok, I'm out.

And I blame Sledneck. No real reason, but I always feel better blaming Sledneck.

Eric

Sledneck
04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Ok, I'm out.

And I blame Sledneck. No real reason, but I always feel better blaming Sledneck.

Eric
As usual I am honored

SmokeInDaEye
04-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I had a meeting with the organizer this evening. Some very good news:

1) The time constraints have been lifted. Competitors do NOT have to be packed up and on their way by 4:00. The competitors area has been moved to an area where we can stay and hang a bit, so no rush.

2) The competitors amenities are building quickly and look pretty sweet. I'm going to demand a goodie bag for helping out. If you are a fan of beer, sign up. Seriously, sign up.

3) The oysters for the oyster category are being given to the teams gratis and are provided by a local purveyor.

4) The area is beautiful. It is about a block from Oyster Bay park, which is gorgeous. Nice neighborhood, nice town. I'm thinking that we could have a Brethren potluck dinner on the beach after if people are interested.

There is still room for competitors and I suggest that you sign up. It looks like it will be a great time and we hope to have it grow into a full blown BBQ event.

Eric

Do we still need to be loadedx in by 7am? I'm not much of a "morning" person.

motoeric
04-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Do we still need to be loadedx in by 7am? I'm not much of a "morning" person.

I don't think so, I just think that this is the time that the road is closed off. So if you can get your stuff down there on a dolly or use a back way in (there is a little side road/alley) you should be ok.

Eric

motoeric
04-26-2008, 12:42 PM
As I'm not competing, is there anyone who wouldn't mind setting up to my BiL and niece? They are COMPLETELY new to everything in competing.

From concept to practice, they are complete novices.

I will most likely be competing with them at GotB, but due to concerns of the appearance of impropriety I will not be at Oyster Bay.

Thanks,

Eric

Westexbbq
04-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Hopefully allowances are being made for the Judges to be in the goodie bag loop.:wink:

motoeric
04-26-2008, 07:12 PM
I meant to say 'setting up next to' in my earlier message. Sorry.

Eric

Sledneck
04-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Sledcast

Saturday, May 10
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/04.gif
High: 65 °F RealFeel®: 62 °F
Clouds giving way to some sun

Saturday Night, May 10
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/33.gif
Low: 47 °F RealFeel®: 40 °F
Clear

MilitantSquatter
04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
As I'm not competing, is there anyone who wouldn't mind setting up to my BiL and niece? They are COMPLETELY new to everything in competing.

I will most likely be competing with them at GotB, but due to concerns of the appearance of impropriety I will not be at Oyster Bay.

Thanks,

Eric

That stinks Eric... If I were competing, I would take no issue with you helping your family, especially under the circumstances and knowing that you are certainly not the type to try to fix the contest.

Sawdustguy
04-27-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

Have them set up next to the Polocks. We will help anyone.

MAsQue
04-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Eric,

Have them set up next to the Polocks. We will help anyone.

Eric,

You've now got offers to have them set up with the Polocks on one side and us Harps on the other. I estimate that would give BiL and niece a 50-50 chance of either taking GC on their first outing or swearing off bbq forever. :wink:

Brian

Transformer BBQ
04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Burke’s Blazin Bar-B-Que Crew
fuhgeddaboutit
r2-b2
ma’s que crew
smoke in da eye
the purple turtle cooking company
Two fat polocks bbq team
rub this
smokehouse rules
Q Haven

Transformer BBQ
04-29-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't think so, I just think that this is the time that the road is closed off. So if you can get your stuff down there on a dolly or use a back way in (there is a little side road/alley) you should be ok.

Eric

I think you actualy have until 8:30 to be loaded in... it says to arrive just before 7, and persaon cars must vacate by 8;30.

SmokeInDaEye
04-29-2008, 05:59 PM
I think you actualy have until 8:30 to be loaded in... it says to arrive just before 7, and persaon cars must vacate by 8;30.

That would be ideal. Are you coming down Brendan?

Transformer BBQ
04-30-2008, 09:45 AM
I will be there

motoeric
04-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Ben is waiting on 2 or 3 more applications/checks, so we may have 13 teams.

If anyone is interested in joining us, please let Ben know (or post here and I'll let him know.

Eric

Sledneck
05-02-2008, 12:19 PM
So far so good.No rain the 2 days before or after either. Cross your fingers

SLEDCAST
Saturday, May 10
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/04.gif
High: 58 °F RealFeel®: 58 °F
Periods of clouds and sunshine

Saturday Night, May 10
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/38.gif
Low: 50 °F RealFeel®: 43 °F
Mainly cloudy

Westexbbq
05-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Ben is waiting on 2 or 3 more applications/checks, so we may have 13 teams.

If anyone is interested in joining us, please let Ben know (or post here and I'll let him know.

Eric

Eric,
I am sure we will get an update and addl info for those of us who are judging.
?

motoeric
05-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Wes,

The reason for the delay in final details for judges is that at 13 teams you need 18 judges. We are right on the cusp. I'm not sure if we need 12 or 18 and I hope to find out today or tomorrow.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
05-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Welocme back, Sled. Looking forward to next Saturday. I'll be the one with the wings.

Sledneck
05-05-2008, 02:44 PM
SLEDCAST

Saturday, May 10
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/02.gif
High: 68 °F RealFeel®: 66 °F
Mostly sunny and beautiful

Saturday Night, May 10
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 48 °F RealFeel®: 45 °F
Clear to partly cloudy

Sawdustguy
05-05-2008, 03:29 PM
I want to wish everyone good luck at Oyster Bay. Michele and I will be showing our Labrador Jack at a Dog Show in southern Mass. The rest of the Polocks will be manning the grills at Oyster Bay. See everyone in Yardley!

SmokeInDaEye
05-05-2008, 05:02 PM
I want to wish everyone good luck at Oyster Bay. Michele and I will be showing our Labrador Jack at a Dog Show in southern Mass. The rest of the Polocks will be manning the grills at Oyster Bay. See everyone in Yardley!

We'll miss you but good luck at the dog show. You should put him in a cat costume for kicks!

Westexbbq
05-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Weekend: All aboard the BBQ train

Follow your nose Saturday to downtown Oyster Bay, the site of the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum's first Smoke N' Steam BBQ grilling competition.

Teams of grill masters will start gathering at 7 a.m. outside the museum's preview center, 102 Audrey Ave., where they will compete in four categories: chicken, beefsteak, pork chop and oysters.

From noon to 3 p.m., observers can watch the teams' grilling techniques, snack on food from Oyster Bay restaurants set up along the Audrey Avenue Extension and check out the museum's preview center. At 3:30, New England BBQ Society will announce the winners.

Admission is free; organizers encourage taking the LIRR to Oyster Bay. Call 516-558-7036 or go to obrm.org (http://obrm.org/) for details.

MilitantSquatter
05-05-2008, 06:33 PM
organizers encourage taking the LIRR to Oyster Bay. Call 516-558-7036 or go to obrm.org (http://obrm.org/) for details.

Do they encourage taking the LIRR since it's organized by a railroad museum or because there is limited parking in the area ?

I may not get up there until noon and I don't want to get stuck looking all over for a parking spot.

Westexbbq
05-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Do they encourage taking the LIRR since it's organized by a railroad museum or because there is limited parking in the area ?

I may not get up there until noon and I don't want to get stuck looking all over for a parking spot.

I'm guessing a little of both. OB is conveniently located on the Oyster Bay line of the LIRR. Not sure how hard it is for you to connect from Merrick.(check skeds for a connect at Hicksville?) I know it is real tight when they have the Oyster Fest down there but that may be a bigger draw than this, at least for the first year.
If not, plan on a short hike.
dos centavos.

Sledneck
05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Can the pork chops be stuffed?

YankeeBBQ
05-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Can the pork chops be stuffed?

No they can't be stuffed.

The Pork Chop, Chicken and Beef steak can Not be wrapped or stuffed.

motoeric
05-06-2008, 12:46 PM
There should be ample parking within easy walking distance. There is a huge and very nice park less than a half mile away. Should be plenty of parking there.

Is anyone interested in a communal breakfast Saturday?

Eric

WannaBeBBQueen
05-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Eric ...do you need more judges?

nancee
05-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I read the rules that they sent me and I did not see that stuffing is not allowed. What did I miss? Haven't been around and not paying a lot of attention so I apologize if it should have slapped me in the face!!
nancee

No they can't be stuffed.

The Pork Chop, Chicken and Beef steak can Not be wrapped or stuffed.

lunchlady
05-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Section 7A - under standard garnish...

Sledneck
05-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Section 7A - under standard garnish...
Where can we find a copy of the rules? I could not find them on the NEBS website

lunchlady
05-07-2008, 07:38 AM
e-mail me, or anyone on the BoD... there are links through the NEBS site...

They will be going up on the new site, but the organizer should have a copy as well.

Sledneck
05-07-2008, 08:18 AM
SLEDCAST

Still lookin good!

Saturday, May 10
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 69 °F RealFeel®: 66 °F
Partly sunny and breezy

Saturday Night, May 10
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 48 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
Mainly clear

Transformer BBQ
05-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Here is a copy...

Westexbbq
05-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Gracias.

kyles Q crew
05-07-2008, 06:01 PM
only 3 days away! woo hoo

drumfreak
05-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Anybody clear on what is permitted for the oyster category? The NEBS rules define Open garnish as anything edible....the specific competition rules say vegetable and herbs only. Does that mean that the the sauce/condiment/accompanyment has to be veggie and herbs only or does that mean that we can substitute green leaf and parsley for veggie and herbs for presentation purposes? What would happen if I was to use butter/cheese or even meat as a filling.....? Does that also mean that if I make a sauce that is herb based that I can't use oil to thin it out or vinegar to add a bite to it? This is my first time with open garnish...don't want to get DQ'd.

SmokeInDaEye
05-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Anybody clear on what is permitted for the oyster category? The NEBS rules define Open garnish as anything edible....the specific competition rules say vegetable and herbs only. Does that mean that the the sauce/condiment/accompanyment has to be veggie and herbs only or does that mean that we can substitute green leaf and parsley for veggie and herbs for presentation purposes? What would happen if I was to use butter/cheese or even meat as a filling.....? Does that also mean that if I make a sauce that is herb based that I can't use oil to thin it out or vinegar to add a bite to it? This is my first time with open garnish...don't want to get DQ'd.

My interpretation (and I'm often wrong so ask the organizer or wait till the cook's meeting) is that you can use any veggies or herbs in exchange for the standard lettuce/parsley garnish. Sauce would be the same as always, applied directly to the item and not pooled, no chunks larger than 1/8 inch. As for meat filling, I would guess no based on a "no protein with a protein" rule at Sayville.

YankeeBBQ
05-08-2008, 10:11 AM
My interpretation (and I'm often wrong so ask the organizer or wait till the cook's meeting) is that you can use any veggies or herbs in exchange for the standard lettuce/parsley garnish. Sauce would be the same as always, applied directly to the item and not pooled, no chunks larger than 1/8 inch. As for meat filling, I would guess no based on a "no protein with a protein" rule at Sayville.

Actually pooling sauce in open garnish is allowed. I believe the organizers intention in saying Vegetable and herb was to prevent the addition of another protein or fish in order to keep the oyster category an 'Oyster category' not a lobster or steak category. Someone asked about fruit and I'm not sure about that one. I emailed Ken Dakai the rep and am waiting to hear back from him. If you would like to email him directly for an official ruling his email is kjdakai@aol.com

motoeric
05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
As none of you bastiches took me up on my offer, I'm canceling my suggestion of a communal breakfast!

There, how about that! Now don't you feel guilty? And to top it off, I'm going to get a really, really good breakfast burrito and taunt you all with it.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
05-08-2008, 11:11 AM
As none of you bastiches took me up on my offer, I'm canceling my suggestion of a communal breakfast!

There, how about that! Now don't you feel guilty? And to top it off, I'm going to get a really, really good breakfast burrito and taunt you all with it.

Eric

Fine by me. I'm having a breakfast beer.

CTSmokehouse
05-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Have a great time...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Westexbbq
05-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Fine by me. I'm having a breakfast beer.

Yep,
Gives you a whole new way at looking at the day.

Q Haven
05-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Truck is already packed. Can't wait to get there!

SmokeInDaEye
05-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Truck is already packed. Can't wait to get there!

Can't wait to see you all! Did anyone else notice that the entry fee is tax deductible?

I also have a case of lettuce if anyone needs last minute garnish. Let me know by EOD tomorrow and I'll pack extra.

MAsQue
05-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Is Eric's suggestion for a potluck on the beach afterward still under consideration?

Sledneck
05-09-2008, 08:29 AM
SLEDCAST

Saturday, May 10
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 62 °F RealFeel®: 59 °F
Partial sunshine

Saturday Night, May 10
Low: 48 °F RealFeel®: 47 °F
Clear to partly cloudy

motoeric
05-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Congratulations to Transformer BBQ for their outstanding performance.

Congratulations to Ben Jankowski of the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum for putting on a great event and for being a fantastic host.

Thanks to the Dakai's and the Lovelies for lending their skills and acumen to this event and helping to have it run smooth as silk.

Here's to Smoke & Steam II.

Eric

Lakeside Smoker
05-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Transformer BBQ Grand Champion

Thats all I know right now.

Sledneck
05-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Best thing about this contest...home in 20 minutes!!!!!!

Was a great event. Congratulations to Transformer on GC & Bayside Buttheads(Drumfreak) on RGC

Overall

1. Transformer BBQ
2. Smokehouse Rules/Bayside Buttheads
3. Ma's Que Crew
4. Yabba Dabba Que
5. Two Fat Polocks BBQ
6. Rub This
7. Fuhgeddaboutit
8. Purple Turtle Catering
9. R2-BQ
10 Smoke In Da Eye
11 Q Haven
12. Burker's Blazin Bar-B-Que

Beef Steak

1. Transformer BBQ
2. Yabba Dabba Que
3.Two Fat Polocks BBQ
4. Ma's Que Crew
5. Purple Turtle Catering
6. Smokehouse Rules/Bayside Buttheads
7. Rub This
8. R2-BQ
9. Smoke In Da Eye
10. Fuhgeddaboutit
11. Q Haven
12. Burker's Blazin Bar-B-Que

Pork Chop

1. Transformer BBQ
2. Ma's Que Crew
3.Two Fat Polocks BBQ
4. Smokehouse Rules/Bayside Butthead
5. Q Haven
6. R2-BQ
7. Smoke In Da Eye
8. Run This
9. Yabba Dabba Que
10. Fuhgeddaboutit
11.Burker's Blazin Bar-B-Que
12. Purple Turtle Catering

Chicken

1. Smokehouse Rules/Bayside Butthead
2.Burker's Blazin Bar-B-Que
3. Purple Turtle Catering
4. Transformer BBQ
5. Yabba Dabba Que
6. Rub This
7. Ma's Que Crew
8. Smoke In Da Eye
9.Two Fat Polocks BBQ
10. Fuhgeddaboutit
11. Q Haven
12. R2-BQ

Oyster

1. Fuhgeddaboutit
2. Transformer BBQ
3. R2-BQ
4. Smokehouse Rules/Bayside Butthead
5. Purple Turtle Catering
6.Burker's Blazin Bar-B-Que
7. Rub This
8. Yabba Dabba Que
9. Ma's Que Crew
10 Q Haven
11. Smoke In Da Eye
12.Two Fat Polocks BBQ

Westexbbq
05-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Yes, a great day and a great time.
This event should be a keeper and we hope it keeps coming back.
Was privileged to be be a judge today and the turn-ins that hit table 1 were very good overall.
All four categories were done well, looked good, tasted great, pretty tender too: beefsteak, porkchops, chicken and oysters;
personally, the 6 oyster turn-ins I got, were prepared very well imho, and they were a treat.
Congrats to all the Brethren who walked, and as you can see there were many, and congratulations to all who competed.
Nice going all around.

MilitantSquatter
05-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Congrats to all who got calls..

Nice event for a small grilling contest.. Could have lots of potential. Public turnout was a bit weak but it was a first year event.

Had a good time seeing many familiar faces but spent most of my time hanging and lending a hand where needed to Sled and his son Steven.

Please take notice that Sled placed 12th in chicken... and almost certainly would have placed 13th if one of the teams who signed up did not have to back out last minute.

Scary part is Sled appeared to be very excited by the chicken recipe and actually should have been very good based on the recipe. It ended up tasting and looking like plain, boiled colorless chicken without much flavor. Not bad but just not tasting like anything.

It was even funnier when he got interviewed by the newspaper reporter who asked him what is he known for... Sled responded "Chicken". The reporter asked a follow up question as to why and he proceeds to tell him that he is cursed in the chicken category and has placed 13th in this category in several states and he hopes to extend the streak at the contest today.

Classic....

Westexbbq
05-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about the chicken turn in from R2BQ, please edit post #112 accordingly.:wink:

SmokeInDaEye
05-10-2008, 09:44 PM
What a great event and congrats to Tansformer for killing 2 out of four categories!

Can't wait to do it again next year.

pigmaker23
05-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Congratulations to Brenden & Julie !!! See you guys soon

Sledneck
05-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes, a great day and a great time.
This event should be a keeper and we hope it keeps coming back.
Was privileged to be be a judge today and the turn-ins that hit table 1 were very good overall.
All four categories were done well, looked good, tasted great, pretty tender too: beefsteak, porkchops, chicken and oysters;
personally, the 6 oyster turn-ins I got, were prepared very well imho, and they were a treat.
Congrats to all the Brethren who walked, and as you can see there were many, and congratulations to all who competed.
Nice going all around.
I enjoyed doing the oysters today more than any of the other categories.

Plowboy
05-10-2008, 11:22 PM
What a great event and congrats to Tansformer for killing 2 out of four categories!

Can't wait to do it again next year.

(and 2nd in another)

Apparently, there's more than meets the eye!

Congrats to all the brothers.

lunchlady
05-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Congrats Brendan and Julie! Sounds like it was a good one...

sooo, where are the rest of the pics?

Q Haven
05-11-2008, 07:52 AM
We had fun with the oysters too, until we got our score sheet and saw they were 10th out of 12. I couldn't believe someone gave this a 5 for appearance.

In fact this was the worst we have ever done at a contest. We had a great time, but I am really at a loss over the results. Good thing it was just grilling. If it was BBQ I probably would be looking for a new hobby.

But again, after the contest we were again reminded why we do this. We were packing our stuff, and people kept coming over to offer to help us. Thanks so much to the Two Fat Polacks and Burke's Blazing BBQ teams who helped us get packed after it was all over.

And congrats to Brendan and Julie on the win!

pigmaker23
05-11-2008, 08:47 AM
just landed on the wrong table, they look great, love the sea salt base ! see you guys soon :-P

We had fun with the oysters too, until we got our score sheet and saw they were 10th out of 12. I couldn't believe someone gave this a 5 for appearance.

In fact this was the worst we have ever done at a contest. We had a great time, but I am really at a loss over the results. Good thing it was just grilling. If it was BBQ I probably would be looking for a new hobby.

But again, after the contest we were again reminded why we do this. We were packing our stuff, and people kept coming over to offer to help us. Thanks so much to the Two Fat Polacks and Burke's Blazing BBQ teams who helped us get packed after it was all over.

SmokeInDaEye
05-11-2008, 10:11 AM

You and me both, brother! I was right with you at the bottom of every category. I had way too many people hanging around when I was trying to cook, messing up the fairy wings and littering the new patio with beer bottles!

Here's a couple pics.

Q Haven
05-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Here are some pictures from the event.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tedlorson/OysterBaySmokeNSteamGrillingCompetition

backyardchef
05-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Congrats to Brendan and Julie! You all had a beautiful day for it.....

The Anchorman
05-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Way to Go Transformer!!:!:

Ruka
05-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Congratulations to Transformer. I had a great time and look forward to next year. Thanks to all who put in so much time to make this happen.

Transformer BBQ
05-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks everyone. We had a great time. Certainly an event that has a lot of room to grow. Ben seems totally commited to making this event be annual thing, so hopefully we'll see it grow in the future.

I think it was the most I have been harrassed (in a good way), about wearing a sox hat... which I thought was funny since I thought that was Mets country.

Anyway, thanks for the congratulations and the same back to all those who walked.
We had a lot fun, even before the results. It was good to put a face to a few more brethren names to faces...

And Ted, awesome dinner choice on the way home, and your oysters I'm confused about too... I certainly liked them.

-B

SmokeInDaEye
05-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks everyone. We had a great time. Certainly an event that has a lot of room to grow. Ben seems totally commited to making this event be annual thing, so hopefully we'll see it grow in the future.

I think it was the most I have been harrassed (in a good way), about wearing a sox hat... which I thought was funny since I thought that was Mets country.

Anyway, thanks for the congratulations and the same back to all those who walked.
We had a lot fun, even before the results. It was good to put a face to a few more brethren names to faces...

And Ted, awesome dinner choice on the way home, and your oysters I'm confused about too... I certainly liked them.

-B

Thanks for the tickets, guys. Colin saw them today and can't wait to go to see arena football! He knows of the team mascot and is psyched

tonto1117
05-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Congrat's to Transformer BBQ and everyone else!! Sounds like it was a fun time!! Just curios, in one of the pics i see a dumpster real close to where ya'll where cooking.......wouldn't think that is a pleasent thing...:confused:

Sledneck
05-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Congrat's to Transformer BBQ and everyone else!! Sounds like it was a fun time!! Just curios, in one of the pics i see a dumpster real close to where ya'll where cooking.......wouldn't think that is a pleasent thing...:confused:It was a construction debris dumpster that had barely anything in it. The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum where the event was held is being restored.The event location was nice but a little bit out of the way. Ben did a great job with everything. I think he was very dissapointed in the public turnout. I hope it does not deter them from hosting it a again. I suggest everybody that was there competing, judging or spectating send him off an email with your thoughts on the event(positive ones :wink:) condrben@aol.com

WannaBeBBQueen
05-12-2008, 09:00 AM
It was a construction debris dumpster that had barely anything in it. The Oyster Bay Railroad Museum where the event was held is being restored.The event location was nice but a little bit out of the way. Ben did a great job with everything. I think he was very dissapointed in the public turnout. I hope it does not deter them from hosting it a again. I suggest everybody that was there competing, judging or spectating send him off an email with your thoughts on the event(positive ones :wink:) condrben@aol.com

done :biggrin:

Transformer BBQ
05-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the tickets, guys. Colin saw them today and can't wait to go to see arena football! He knows of the team mascot and is psyched

Glad you guys can use them, little too much of a hike for us. I think we gave Julie and her husband a pair too... so maybe you'll have neighbors you know.

And I'm serious about those shirts... if you have any in larger sizes (opposed to the childs Med you wear), I'd love to buy one. I could care less what the name is on it.

WannaBeBBQueen
05-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Dear Julie and Skip,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, we will endeavor to do this again next year at the same time. I wanted a good experience for all who cooked and judged, and it appears the museum accomplished that.

Just have to figure a way to get more foot traffic to the event. All patrons wanted 'que, but the Board of Health won't allow that, and the 'que restaurants I went to wouldn't even donate t-shirts! I have a year to work on that.

Thanks again for your support,

Ben

ique
05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I couldn't believe someone gave this a 5 for appearance.

No way is that a five.

Sawdustguy
05-12-2008, 06:24 PM
The Polocks concur with Chris's statement above. It appears that the judges in Oyster Bay didn't appreciate your fine looking oyster box.

Westexbbq
05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Guy,
See post#112 and as Pigmaker said in #121,
just didn't hit the right table......

Q Haven
05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Actually the 5 in appearance didn't bother me as much as the 3 I got in taste on the oysters from another judge. Our first 3 since we started competing in anything...

Westexbbq
05-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, in my humble opinion, any judge that did not like oysters or was not sure in any way about them, should have recused himself/herself from this category.

(I know of one that did the right thing and switched with/became a table cap't for the last turn-in.)

Don't fret Ted, y'all did great and let's not beat a dead mollusk....:wink:

MAsQue
05-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Actually the 5 in appearance didn't bother me as much as the 3 I got in taste on the oysters from another judge. Our first 3 since we started competing in anything...

We got a three in taste on the oysters from one judge, too. Mixed in with a nine and a couple of eights and sixes. First three ever for us, too. I expect a six or two when I try something different, maybe, but a three? I'd be interested to know if anyone beside Ted and I got marked that low. Maybe one of the judges just had a thing about the combination of oysters and green leafy stuff.

SmokeInDaEye
05-12-2008, 08:49 PM
We got a three in taste on the oysters from one judge, too. Mixed in with a nine and a couple of eights and sixes. First three ever for us, too. I expect a six or two when I try something different, maybe, but a three? I'd be interested to know if anyone beside Ted and I got marked that low. Maybe one of the judges just had a thing about the combination of oysters and green leafy stuff.

I stayed well away from heavy sauce and tried to keep the focus on the actual item, the oyster, and was killed. Then again, I had 25 scores of 6 or under with many 4s. Then some 9s.

Who knows. The only person I blame is myself. The judges called them like they saw em.

Sawdustguy
05-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Guy,
See post#112 and as Pigmaker said in #121,
just didn't hit the right table......

I agree Wes.

Sawdustguy
05-13-2008, 01:22 AM
I stayed well away from heavy sauce and tried to keep the focus on the actual item, the oyster, and was killed. Then again, I had 25 scores of 6 or under with many 4s. Then some 9s.

Who knows. The only person I blame is myself. The judges called them like they saw em.

My brothers oysters came in DAL and I would have to agree with you Clint.

Q Haven
05-13-2008, 05:50 AM

I feel the same way, to a point. But when our oysters get 8's from three judges in taste and a 3 from another, that is strange. I definitely made some mistakes in the other categories that led to our dismal finish. It is a lot easier to shake it off because it was just a grilling contest, but if I said our results didn't bother me, I'd be lying.

I posted my entire score sheet on my blog if anyone is interested.