PDA

View Full Version : Troy Pig Out (Troy, NY) 7/19/08 - KCBS

MilitantSquatter
02-02-2008, 11:36 PM
FYI...

I don't know anything about it but I noticed on the KCBS calendar a new contest in Troy, NY right near Albany.

07/19/08Troy Pig Out (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2008&month=07&id=1295) Troy, NY Contact: Jim Rhoads, 2031 Piney Point Road, Troy, NY 12180.
Phone: 518-322-1772. Fax: 518-273-4192. chefjrhoads3@nycap.rr.com (chefjrhoads3@nycap.rr.com)
KCBS Reps: Results not in.

Sledneck
02-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Got word form Jim that the contest applications will be available in 2 weeks.

The Anchorman
02-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Is it also NEBS Sanctioned???

Scottie
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
That's like right on my way to Harpoon... hmmmmmm

Yakfishingfool
02-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Damn, in Disney that week. Scott

Sledneck
02-06-2008, 04:41 PM
BTW This contest will be a State Championship, they are waiting for the proclamation

pigmaker23
02-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes it will be a NEBS sanctioned contest, As the NY contest rep for NEBS I am meeting with the organizers over the weekend to give them the application for membership. dont know all the details but it sounds like it will be good, The City of Troy is behind it 100% and thats the hardest part. Stay Tuned

Is it also NEBS Sanctioned???

nancee
02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
you guys are killing me...can't we get things finalized a little earlier before I have major stress over what contests to sign up for?

Yes it will be a NEBS sanctioned contest, As the NY contest rep for NEBS I am meeting with the organizers over the weekend to give them the application for membership. dont know all the details but it sounds like it will be good, The City of Troy is behind it 100% and thats the hardest part. Stay Tuned

YankeeBBQ
02-07-2008, 07:12 AM
you guys are killing me...can't we get things finalized a little earlier before I have major stress over what contests to sign up for?

It's pretty hard to finalize something when you don't even know about. But thanks for asking.

Sledneck
02-07-2008, 08:13 AM
I dont have any vacations planned that week so I'm in

Muzzlebrake
02-07-2008, 01:17 PM

It's pretty hard to finalize something when you don't even know about.

seriously.............I have to have solid dates by at least the last week in January at the latest, hell 2 of our team members are required to have vacation requests in by November.

am I the only one thats anal enough to try and plan out 6-8 months ahead?

YankeeBBQ
02-07-2008, 01:23 PM
seriously.............I have to have solid dates by at least the last week in January at the latest, hell 2 of our team members are required to have vacation requests in by November.

am I the only one thats anal enough to try and plan out 6-8 months ahead?

The Problem is we can't put info out until things are finalized. Not to knock Grillin on the Bay but you see what can happen if things fall through. We try to get things on our schedule as early as we can.

smokinit
02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Sweet thats in my backyard can't believe the Troylet[thats what we call it] would have something like this.

Sledneck
03-05-2008, 04:55 AM
Application is available

WannaBeBBQueen
03-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Application is availableThanks:mrgreen:

The Giggler
03-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Might be a good opportunity to spend the week in New England. Troy, then Harpoon. With a week on the Plum Island in between. Sounds like a great way to spend a week and two weekends!

Lakeside Smoker
03-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Any web site for this event? Or any other info?

Thanks

Jorge
03-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Not to be a smartass....but did they get a proclamation from the Gov. yet?

MilitantSquatter
04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Eric (or anyone else) - Any more news available ?

I believe you said this was going to be in the downtown area of Albany on the main strip that was being closed down or something like that.

Any info on water supply, electric, site size etc ?

pigmaker23
04-04-2008, 08:29 AM
i am going to a meeting this afternoon with the organizers and will have more infor over the weekend. The contest in Actually in Troy NY which is 3 miles north of Albany, it is on The Hudson River so all of you that will miss swimming at Harpoon can swim here instead ! LOL :-P

Eric (or anyone else) - Any more news available ?

I believe you said this was going to be in the downtown area of Albany on the main strip that was being closed down or something like that.

Any info on water supply, electric, site size etc ?

Lakeside Smoker
04-05-2008, 10:16 AM
i am going to a meeting this afternoon with the organizers and will have more infor over the weekend.

Any news yet, Eric?

pigmaker23
04-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Just a quick update, The contest is coming together very nicely, it will be held at the edge of the river in downtown Troy NY. All spaces will be located on the streets of the city, the area where we will be set up has been used for movies such as The Scent of a Woman, Ironweed and The Age of Innocence. It is a very pretty downtown area. The contest is sponsered by The City of Troy and is part of the weekend BBQ Festival which will include Live Music, Beer Gardens, Fireworks on Saturday Night and vendors. The organizers are promising to make this as competitor friendy as Harpoon and HVRF ! The schedule will be Friday Night Load In, Saturday NEBS Grilling Contest and Sunday KCBS Contest.

The Revised Application / Cooks Package will be up on the City Website sometime next week, it will be a link. As soon as its posted I will let you guys know. Thats it for Now.. :-P

MilitantSquatter
04-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the update...

Will they be allowing Sat morning load in as well ?

ique
04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Just a quick update, The contest is coming together very nicely,

Sounds good, do you know what the total purse is? The app only says 2k GC, 1K RGC.

And whats that? 4 NY state championships in the mix for the invitationals?

SmokeInDaEye
04-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Just a quick update, The contest is coming together very nicely, it will be held at the edge of the river in downtown Troy NY. All spaces will be located on the streets of the city, the area where we will be set up has been used for movies such as The Scent of a Woman, Ironweed and The Age of Innocence. It is a very pretty downtown area. The contest is sponsered by The City of Troy and is part of the weekend BBQ Festival which will include Live Music, Beer Gardens, Fireworks on Saturday Night and vendors. The organizers are promising to make this as competitor friendy as Harpoon and HVRF ! The schedule will be Friday Night Load In, Saturday NEBS Grilling Contest and Sunday KCBS Contest.

The Revised Application / Cooks Package will be up on the City Website sometime next week, it will be a link. As soon as its posted I will let you guys know. Thats it for Now.. :-P

This looks pretty sweet.

smokinit
04-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Ya it looks to be great I will also be vending at the Troy riverside festival also I just got my comp application so they are available now.

pigmaker23
04-06-2008, 09:18 PM
that application is being superceded with the one to be posted this week, there will also be a letter sent to potential vendors in a week or two with fees, requirements etc. The purse will be close to Harpoon or better, it will be locked in by 5/1. Stay Tuned .

Ya it looks to be great I will also be vending at the Troy riverside festival also I just got my comp application so they are available now.

Sledneck
04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Latest forms. If you have already signed up you do not need to do it again

SmokeInDaEye
04-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I assume no one knows what the grilling categories are?

pigmaker23
04-16-2008, 09:13 AM
The grilling will be per the new NEBS Grilling Rules, as of now the catagories are being forwarded to the board of NEBS for reveiw prior to be annouced. it should be a week or two, stay tuned guys

TroyGirl
04-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Anything on the grilling categories yet? or the new rules from NEBS?

smokingrace
04-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Lots of details still being worked out, but Black Angus will be supplying all the brisket for the KCBS contest as well as a "beef cut to be determined" for grilling . . . lining up lots of good music, PR, family fun area (for Carmen and the Cold Cuts) and serious prize money and sponsors coming in. Stay tuned.

FYI, looks like load in will be Friday or very early (till 8 a.m.) Saturday due to the city closing the streets off.

Grace Johnson (pigmaker's better half:wink:)

Lakeside Smoker
05-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Web site with application is out.

Troy (http://www.visittroyny.com/)

Sawdustguy
05-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Oh well, gonna miss this one as I will be on business in Chicago until the Thursday before Harpoon. At least I will have something to look forward to coming back from the meetings.

SmokeInDaEye
05-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Trying to decide between this and Lake Placid. It's less of a drive and one less day, but I hear great things about Lake Placid.

pigmaker23
05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
do both of them !! you can keep your stuff at my house in Albany between Lake Placid and Troy so you can save on gas

SmokeInDaEye
05-06-2008, 08:26 PM
do both of them !! you can keep your stuff at my house in Albany between Lake Placid and Troy so you can save on gas

Hmmmm. The wheels are churning. Congrats on the RGC!

pigmaker23
06-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Just an update to the upcoming contest on July 19th & 20th

The prize money total pool is now $ 7,500 Minimum. Final percentage payouts on catagories and GC/Reserve will be posted in a week or two.

The grilling contest will be held on Saturday July 19th, NEBS 2008 Grilling Rules apply and are what will be used. The catagories are as follows:

Chicken Wings

Vegetables

Beef Steak

Pizza

The Beef Steak will be supplied to the teams, it will be CAB Ribeyes.

The Prize Amounts for Grilling are as follows:

1st Place - $100.00 2nd Place $50.00 3rd Place $ 25.00 / Each Catagory
Grand Champion - New Gas Grill
Reserve Grand - $150.00

The Contest is shaping up very nicely, more details next week with regard to team goodies, set up locations etc, stay tuned.

For teams that may want to store their trailers near the contest between Lake Placid and Harpoon we are working on a secure location for you.

Lakeside Smoker
06-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Looks like a great comp, Eric! Can't wait. How many teams so far?

Psmitty
06-05-2008, 06:32 PM
This seems like its getting pretty serious. They moved to a bigger site to accommodate more teams (I guess that's what happens when then Mayor decides to compete). I live in NJ and will try to make it through. I'd love to meet some of the local Brethren...check the link

http://www.troyny.gov/mayor/Tutunjian/2008pressreleases/060408pigout.pdf

pigmaker23
06-06-2008, 06:53 AM
i think 7 or 8 so far i'm not involved in it on that end at all

ique
06-06-2008, 08:24 AM
I have a vacation planned up in the Adirondacks (North River)
the week before this contest. I'm going stop and cook this one on the way home. Who are the Reps?

pigmaker23
06-07-2008, 07:07 AM
I think Don & Leslie Lovely

pigmaker23
06-25-2008, 03:03 PM
contest is now less than a month away, a great contest with great payout in between Lake Placid and Harpoon, looks like 15 sign ups so far, will get a team list when i return from vacation

WannaBeBBQueen
06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Swamp Pit BBQ will be there :biggrin:

smokinit
06-25-2008, 05:06 PM
I am there also have a catering gig the same day have a cold one waiting for me.

Lakeside Smoker
07-03-2008, 05:45 AM
I talked with someone who is helping out with this contest. She said we would be able to access our site until Saturday before 2:00 PM. I know there was some talk about not having access after 5:00 PM on Friday! That doesn't work for most of us. But they moved the venue from Front Street to Riverside Park, so that issue was resolved.
The comp is about two weeks away and I think you can still sign up if you want. Correct me if I'm wrong, Eric.
Any team list?

Mike

ique
07-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I just signed up. Dont plan on cooking the grilling and I'll probably roll in late Sat AM.