PDA

View Full Version : *** Great Lakes BBQ & Feed Co - MI

Ford
02-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Team is made up of head cook - Ford Alison, chief bottle washer - Ford, night fire guy - Ford (I have FE's) , setup & cleanup - you guessed it. I always find a runner to help me at a contest as I have bad knees and just don't move fast enough. I have a 16’ enclosed trailer with hot and cold running water, 3 FE’s, fridge (in 2008), steel prep table. And if you bring an air mattress a dry truck bed with cap for sleeping.

I would be glad to mentor 1 or even 2 individuals this year. If you do one contest you'll learn a bit. If you do 4 or 5 you'll learn a lot more. Over the years I’ve mentored a number of people here in Michigan and some have teams of their own now.

What you contribute - help with setup, cleanup, runner, a spare set of hands when I'm cooking.

What I contribute - food (beef tenderloin breakfast), drink (within reason), 7 years of experience. I don’t hide anything from people that help me.

Schedule this year

May 2 or 9 - KC area (TBD)
May 22 - 24 GAB - invitational and open
June 13 - MT Vernon IL or Elk Grove IL (love Mt Vernon but 200+ miles farther to drive)
July 18 - Kettering OH
July 25 - Taste of Grand Rapids MI (defending champion)
Aug 15 - Mt. Morris MI
Sept 5 - Nashville IN
Sept 12 - Mears/Silver Lake MI

TBD - Royal, Jack or I'll do something else in October if I don't qualify.

You can email me at alisonf at ix dot Netcom dot com

Spydermike72
02-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Not that Ford needs it, but I can tell you he is one of the most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to Comp Q. He is also a great guy!! I may take you up on your offer for one of the out of state comps Ford. Also if you ever need anything just let me know!!

Ford
02-02-2008, 06:43 AM
I'll be talking with Deni from Lazy Bones Smokehouse over in Roseville MI about how much and when he wants to help this year. He emailed me within a few hours of my post.

Mike - you know you can always join me at a contest. Love to have the company and you probably have lots of hotel points to get your own room before the long drive home. :-D

Spydermike72
02-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Mike - you know you can always join me at a contest. Love to have the company and you probably have lots of hotel points to get your own room before the long drive home. :-D

Truer words have never been spoken... but I get to stay home more now with the new position I got at the first of the year, so I am looking to do a few more comps this year!! :-D

Ford
02-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm now planning to do Wamac IL on May 2-3 instead of the trip to KC.

Ford
02-14-2008, 10:07 AM
I think isntead of Elk Grove/Mt Vernon I will do an unsanctioned contest in Ft Atkinson WI that weekend.

Ford
03-17-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm adding Goshen IN on July 11-12.

michiana mark
03-18-2008, 11:07 AM
What's going on in Goshen that weekend?

tonto1117
03-18-2008, 11:25 AM
What's going on in Goshen that weekend?

07/11/08
to
07/12/08 Great Goshen Grill Out (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2008&month=07&id=1344) Goshen, IN Contact: Nick Kieffer, 232 S. Main Street, Goshen, IN 46526.
Phone: 574-533-2102. Fax: 574-533-2103. [email protected] ([email protected])

Talked with the organizer yesterday. He said they are in the process of trying to get the governer's proclamation to make it a qualifier. Gave me this web address to check for updates as they progress.

http://www.greatgoshengrillout.com/

BTW...was wondering if you have any plans to make it to the the GLBBQA Thawout Cook Off in April??

michiana mark
03-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks tonto, I checked the KCBS site but didn't find any info. Looks like this weekend is a softball weekend. Daughter is in her last year of travel ball, then off to college.

Am trying to make arrangements to get to GLBBQA cookoff. May end up coming up sat to judge if I can't get off work on friday. I work second shift. Really want to try Bubba's brisket.

tonto1117
03-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks tonto, I checked the KCBS site but didn't find any info. Looks like this weekend is a softball weekend. Daughter is in her last year of travel ball, then off to college.

Am trying to make arrangements to get to GLBBQA cookoff. May end up coming up sat to judge if I can't get off work on friday. I work second shift. Really want to try Bubba's brisket.

Sounds good Mark. Let me know about the judging so I can put you down on the list before we fill it up. Bubba's Brisket?? Don't know anything about that...

VGuilford
03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Ford if you need help with GAB just let me know. I was there last year. Had a lot of fun accept when the storms hit.

ThomEmery
03-19-2008, 07:29 PM
I love this team name

Ford
03-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Ford if you need help with GAB just let me know. I was there last year. Had a lot of fun accept when the storms hit.
I'd love to have a runner on Saturday and Sunday. I have a tentative offer of a weekend helper from BBQBubba but he may be with Theresa & Walt at Westmount instead. I think I will need your phone again. Can you email me and we can talk about this.

Ford
03-19-2008, 09:11 PM
I love this team name
When competing in the midwest (especially KC and MO) it's amazing how many people come up and ask what type of feed I sell. When I smile and say well Ribs and..... Should see their faces.

ThomEmery
03-19-2008, 09:38 PM
California BBQ and Feed Co.

michiana mark
03-20-2008, 12:16 PM
California BBQ and Feed Co.

I think royalties may be involved. Maybe franchise? I seem to recall some burger joint from CA started by two brothers.

ThomEmery
03-20-2008, 06:41 PM
:) You bet cha

Ford
05-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Well it's getting close to the GAB. Vern is helping me with boxes and maybe more. Vern I'll be calling you this weekend.

If there's anybody out there that is willing to make a sacrifice and baby sit my site during the Invitational awards Saturday I sure would appreciate it.

And if anybody wants to sit in a comfortable chair and drink beer or jack from 6 until midnight Saturday I have a job for you. Keep an eye on things while I try to nap. Bonus points if you make up parsley boxes while drinking and you get all my leftovers Sunday. And I will give you the combination to the porta potty lock :biggrin:

ThomEmery
05-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Now theres a deal

tonto1117
05-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Well it's getting close to the GAB. Vern is helping me with boxes and maybe more. Vern I'll be calling you this weekend.

If there's anybody out there that is willing to make a sacrifice and baby sit my site during the Invitational awards Saturday I sure would appreciate it.

And if anybody wants to sit in a comfortable chair and drink beer or jack from 6 until midnight Saturday I have a job for you. Keep an eye on things while I try to nap. Bonus points if you make up parsley boxes while drinking and you get all my leftovers Sunday. And I will give you the combination to the porta potty lock :biggrin:

I'll help ya out Ford...Walt doesn't need my help anymore..:rolleyes: :razz:. All kidding aside, have fun and do good!! We'll miss ya at Wesmont!!

VGuilford
05-12-2008, 01:10 PM
I missed your call. Was out doing mowing and them Mothers day stuff will try to call you this evening. I'm planning on being out there all weekend. I getting Friday off.

bertkemtncurs
05-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Count on me helping you at Kettering!

Ford
05-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Count on me helping you at Kettering!
I'm planning on it. We'll talk sometime in June.

Ford
06-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Well it's getting close to that Goshen IN contest. Anybody want to be a runner/helper for me? July 11-12. I provide some food, drinks, a good cigar if you want and the opportunity to watch this grumpy old guy mess up brisket again and again. Thank goodness the judges can at least stomach my other turn-ins.:biggrin:

And no I'm not bringing the Harley Trophy Bike. But I may bring a picture :icon_cool:icon_cool

Neil
06-26-2008, 03:45 AM
Ford, I can't make it on Friday because my neice is getting married but I may be able to get down there Saturday morning. I should be able to let you know this weekend.

Coz
06-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Any one who is thinking of taking Fords offer to spend a comp with him should.I will do it again in a heartbeat if the opportunitty comes up again....If he lets me.After Fort Atkinson this year next year he will most likely have all the girls from the club wanting to help him.That leaves the big ugly guy out watching Billy perform:eek:

Ford
06-27-2008, 04:38 AM
Any one who is thinking of taking Fords offer to spend a comp with him should.I will do it again in a heartbeat if the opportunitty comes up again....If he lets me.After Fort Atkinson this year next year he will most likely have all the girls from the club wanting to help him.That leaves the big ugly guy out watching Billy perform:eek:

Somehow I think I'll be the one worrying about what you are cooking because I'd bet you'll cook it next year.

Thanks again for the help. It sure was nice to have a helper that knows how to cook and can anticipate what I'll be doing next.

Ford
04-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Well it's getting to that time again

April 24-25 - Eagle MI GLBBQA Practice cook
May 23-24 Westmount Il
June12-13 - Wolf it Down BBQ Bash, Ft Atkinson WI - defending champion Planning to party this year and this is an adults only event although we let Billy in. :twisted:
June 26-27 Auburn Hills MI
July 11-12 Lowell MI
July 24-25 Grand Rapids MI
Aug 21-22 Mt Morris MI
Sept 11-12 Silver Lake MI
Swpt 25-26 Sparta MI

I can always use a runner although I'm pretty sure I have one for Auburn Hills. If you just want to attend a competition and get an idea what it's about then come on out. You can decide how much you do or don't do within the limits I set. I pretty much do all the meat prep, cooking and cleaning but can use a little help cleaning, doing boxes, and with tear down.

Coz
04-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Still planning on Ford Atkinson.I had a blast last year.

Stiltz6ft9in
04-09-2009, 09:19 PM
I may be able to help out with the Ohio one. Keep me posted.

sfisch
04-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Ford
whats the one in Sparta on Sept 25? Thats my b-day!

Scott

Ford
04-12-2009, 07:03 PM
New contest. It's part of their harvest festival. Should receive KCBS sanctioning at the April meeting and it already has the Governors proclamation.

sfisch
04-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Well sounds like an excuse for another party, may even splurge and drink some of that nasty jack.

SCott

CROSSCZEK
04-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi Ford,
I'm looking for some experience before I enter a comp on my own.
And, you come highly recommended!
I juggle a family life, but want to talk to you about your schedule to see if I can help you out somewhere.
I'll see you Sat. at the GLBBQA Practice Cook.

-Scott

Ford
04-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi Ford,
I'll see you Sat. at the GLBBQA Practice Cook.

-Scott
Sounds like a plan.