PDA

View Full Version : Zoo-B-Que & Big Pig Gig

Papa Hogg
01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
The Zoo-B-Que & the Big Pig Gig in WI have been scheduled the same weekend 9/19 & 20. The B.P.G has a bigger purse & about twice the amount of teams (30 vs. 60) competing (G.C. wins $6000 & they payout to 8th place in all categories) Z-B-Q paid I believe $3000.

I've recently been in contact with Marsha should I contact her to see about changing weekend to the following weekend? She told me that was their second choice when I spoke with her. I really want to compete in the Z-B-Q again this year, it's about 2 miles from my house & in a great setting. However more money at the B.P.G. has me interested & it is only about 30 miles from my home. I wanted to compete in both....:mad:

Thoughts & if any of the teams that competed in both last year want to chime in...

Scottie
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I've already contacted both of the organizers... If nothing else, do the contests as a Ironman, where we can do 2 different contests the same weekend...

Because of the size of the purse at Menomonee, it would kill Racine if they went head-to-head. IMHO at least...

Scottie

smknwhlswife
01-30-2008, 01:02 PM
I really wish that Zoo-B-Q didn't change the dates from July (2 years ago). We really wanted to do this, but coming from KC with 2 young girls in school is hard. My parents live in Kenosha so it would have been a 2 for 1 thing.

Scottie
01-30-2008, 01:08 PM
the first year, in July, it was really hot. So they wanted to try and get away from the heat... But, I wish it was July as well.

A comp cook, Dr. Porkenstein, will be opening his new BBQ place in Kenosha this weekend. I'm going to go up this weekend and visit with Alex and Kate to see their new place. It's called The Barbeque Factory.

Scottie

Bbq Bubba
01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
:cool:the first year, in July, it was really hot. So they wanted to try and get away from the heat... But, I wish it was July as well.

A comp cook, Dr. Porkenstein, will be opening his new BBQ place in Kenosha this weekend. I'm going to go up this weekend and visit with Alex and Kate to see their new place. It's called The Barbeque Factory.

Scottie

That's great to hear!!
Does that mean less comp's for them this year??

smknwhlswife
01-30-2008, 01:13 PM
the first year, in July, it was really hot. So they wanted to try and get away from the heat... But, I wish it was July as well.

Scottie

Thanks for the info...I will let my dad know.

Papa Hogg
01-30-2008, 01:16 PM

Scottie

So the reasturant is opening in July?

billm
01-30-2008, 01:26 PM
I really wish that Zoo-B-Q didn't change the dates from July (2 years ago). We really wanted to do this, but coming from KC with 2 young girls in school is hard. My parents live in Kenosha so it would have been a 2 for 1 thing.

same here..too many people whined it was too hot though..i thought it was perfect weather :)

i agree that Sept is just too late in the year

billm
01-30-2008, 01:28 PM
the first year, in July, it was really hot. Scottie
and you have the balls to call me a sissy??? :-D

Scottie
01-30-2008, 01:30 PM
The Barbeque Factory will be opening this Saturday, Febraury 2nd. It will be at 1200 Birch Road Kenosha Wisconsin.

Yeah Bill. It was your weather. 98 and sticky hot... Probably why you guys did so well... ;-)

Stoke&Smoke
01-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Scottie, do you have the address? Wouldn't mind giong to say hello to Alex and Kate either!
Dan

Stoke&Smoke
01-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Duh! jumped the gun...didn't see your last post!

Scottie
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure if Alex will be there this Saturday for the Grand Opening.... He has a rib class!!! lol

I'm heading up on Sunday and hang out and get some food for the Super Bowl...

Scottie

smknwhlswife
01-30-2008, 01:44 PM
and you have the balls to call me a sissy??? :-D

Being from KC, we are used to doing comps in all different temps/weather. We or should I say Andy will do them in 4* & snowy/icy (I don't do this cold with 2 young girls, talk about going crazy!) up to 105* with heat index of 115*.:eek:

billm
01-30-2008, 01:51 PM

Yeah Bill. It was your weather. 98 and sticky hot... Probably why you guys did so well... ;-)

yep we always do well in the heat!...also have to drive the trailer around the site a few times too figuring out how to back it up :-P

Scottie
01-30-2008, 02:07 PM
As I recall that year. You guys had a drive through site... I'm not even sure if you even un-hooked the trailer...

It was so hot that year, it was raining in my RV when I had the AC on... then I found out I had a bad seal... lol

billm
01-30-2008, 02:09 PM
yep and i still couldnt back it up

Papa Hogg
01-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Just got this e-mail from Marsha at the Zoo-B-Que: :biggrin:

Hi--
Never fear...Big Pig Gig is actually the week before ours, so you all can do both! They agreed to move earlier when the clonflict arose. (See their website for details.) We changed ours for them last year. We need to get KCBS to update the Bull Sheet!

I'm hoping all of you come back. You are a great bunch of competitors!!!! We're working to make '08 even better than the two previous contests.

Marsha

tonto1117
01-30-2008, 02:24 PM
That would make it the same weekend as Silver Lake Mi :sad:...Oh well

Scottie
01-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah, they aren't doing very good with the planning. As Sparta, WI is also that weekend and so Is Salem, IL... So there will be 4 contests that they are trying to draw the Upper Midwest teams too. Which contest will suffer? there are just so many teams in the Upper Midwest for these 4 contests...

billm
01-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, they aren't doing very good with the planning. As Sparta, WI is also that weekend and so Is Salem, IL... So there will be 4 contests that they are trying to draw the Upper Midwest teams too. Which contest will suffer? there are just so many teams in the Upper Midwest for these 4 contests...

Kinda reminds me of where I work...
these guys need to start talking to each other

Papa Hogg
01-30-2008, 02:33 PM
That would make it the same weekend as Silver Lake Mi :sad:...Oh well

You could still come to the Zoo-B-Que, it's 9/19 - 20

tonto1117
01-30-2008, 02:39 PM
You could still come to the Zoo-B-Que, it's 9/19 - 20

Am I missing somthing?? You said they agreed to make it the weekend before as not to conflict with Menomonee Falls which would make it the 12th and 13th...no???:confused:

Scottie
01-30-2008, 02:41 PM
theresa,

I believe that Racine will be the 19th and Menomonee will be the 12th... So you will miss Menomonee because of SIlver Lake. Which is a shame, as I cooked that contest the first 2 years and I won't be able to make it this year. And they are forcing me to decide between 4 contests. 3 of which I cooked last year...

Papa Hogg
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
The B.P.G. is moving to the weekend before is how I read Marsha's e-mail:

Hi--

Never fear...Big Pig Gig is actually the week before ours, so you all can do both! They agreed to move earlier when the clonflict arose. (See their website for details.) We changed ours for them last year. We need to get KCBS to update the Bull Sheet!

I'm hoping all of you come back. You are a great bunch of competitors!!!! We're working to make '08 even better than the two previous contests.

Marsha

Ford
01-30-2008, 02:46 PM
theresa,

I believe that Racine will be the 19th and Menomonee will be the 12th... So you will miss Menomonee because of SIlver Lake. Which is a shame, as I cooked that contest the first 2 years and I won't be able to make it this year. And they are forcing me to decide between 4 contests. 3 of which I cooked last year...
let's see 65 miles or a 5 to 8 hour drive. Which one will I choose? We'll miss you at Silver Lake. And as I'll be doing the one in Indy area the week before I'll have to miss the 19th. Only so many days off.

Scottie
01-30-2008, 02:51 PM
I haven't given up on it that quick Ford!!! ;-) But it is hard to compete against the $$ that Menomoneee has... Sure does fill up the BBQ check book real quick...

tonto1117
01-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Ok..thanks guys, I think I got it know...I stress think:rolleyes: Descisions,decisions...:eusa_clap

Ford, are you referring to Nashville In.on the 5th and 6th?? Just talked with the organizer the other day and said 99.9% sure it will be a qualifier.

Papa Hogg
01-30-2008, 02:57 PM
But it is hard to compete against the $$ that Menomoneee has... Sure does fill up the BBQ check book real quick...

I hope you leave enough for the rest of us :wink:

Papa Hogg
01-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Ok..thanks guys, I think I got it know...I stress think:rolleyes: Descisions,decisions...:eusa_clap

Tonto, when this gets closer let me know if you are coming, last year we had Marsha set-up the Brethren next to each other.

tonto1117
01-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Tonto, when this gets closer let me know if you are coming, last year we had Marsha set-up the Brethren next to each other.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up!!

Divemaster
01-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Z-B-Q is on my list for comps... This is my first year and it's only about 40 or so miles from the house...

Coz
01-30-2008, 06:20 PM
I dont plan on competing at either of these events but will most likely come to visit and try to learn a little more.I will for sure be getting to Kate and Alexs new place,its right down the street from a couple of salmon fishing seminars that I will be attending in early march.Oh yea and its not far from the harbor so after early season coho fishing guess where for lunch???????Forgot to ask how big the parkin lot is.:shock:It sure was tuff to stand around at Racine last year and the lake was dead flat calm.I may be available to do grunt work at these two comps to further my BBQ education.I will have 2 comps under the belt by then and should start getting an idea of what going on by then:eek:Am I good luck or bad luck?After almost dropping a butt at one of these two comps last year that team won G.C.Thought I was a dead man for a second or two:oops:

tonto1117
01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
I dont plan on competing at either of these events but will most likely come to visit and try to learn a little more.I will for sure be getting to Kate and Alexs new place,its right down the street from a couple of salmon fishing seminars that I will be attending in early march.Oh yea and its not far from the harbor so after early season coho fishing guess where for lunch???????Forgot to ask how big the parkin lot is.:shock:It sure was tuff to stand around at Racine last year and the lake was dead flat calm.I may be available to do grunt work at these two comps to further my BBQ education.I will have 2 comps under the belt by then and should start getting an idea of what going on by then:eek:Am I good luck or bad luck?After almost dropping a butt at one of these two comps last year that team won G.C.Thought I was a dead man for a second or two:oops:

Not sure what our schedule is yet Coz...but if you want to hang with us that would be great. I'm sure Bubba wouldn't mind you rubbing his butt for good luck....:eek::eek::biggrin:....:lol:

Coz
01-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Not sure what our schedule is yet Coz...but if you want to hang with us that would be great. I'm sure Bubba wouldn't mind you rubbing his butt for good luck....:eek::eek::biggrin:....:lol:

Just cause Bubba likes his Butt rubbed dont mean I gotta do it.:icon_blush:Poor Bubba:twisted:

tonto1117
01-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Just cause Bubba likes his Butt rubbed dont mean I gotta do it.:icon_blush:Poor Bubba:twisted:

LOL... In all seriousness though, if they make it on our calendar,the offer stands:wink:

Ford
01-31-2008, 07:28 AM

Ford, are you referring to Nashville In.on the 5th and 6th?? Just talked with the organizer the other day and said 99.9% sure it will be a qualifier.
Yup.

Scottie
01-31-2008, 09:32 AM
It seems that Big Pig Gig and Zoo B Que might be going up against one another. Both are set for the same weekend, according to my emails with the organizers... That's a shame that will kill one of these contests. Not sure why they both got sanctioned for the same weekend and they are 50 miles apart.

Scottie

Ford
01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Scottie - I thought the 50 mile rule was gone years ago. Also when you come down to it if both organizations want the same weekend then the KCBS can suggest that they consider a change but the contests will still be sanctioned. I don't know all the details but maybe other events are dictating they both use this date.

As we get more contests up north we'll face this over and over again.

And both can survive. Lets face it as long as each gets 25 teams it's a qualifier and everybody does not chase the biggest paying contests. Some people actually just do it for fun so a lowere paying smaller qualifier looks very appealing to some.

Papa Hogg
01-31-2008, 09:50 AM
It seems that Big Pig Gig and Zoo B Que might be going up against one another. Both are set for the same weekend, according to my emails with the organizers... That's a shame that will kill one of these contests. Not sure why they both got sanctioned for the same weekend and they are 50 miles apart.

Scottie

I got an e-mail from Jenny at the B.P.G. as well & I have responded to both organizers that they try to work with each other & the KCBS now to get one of the events moved so both contest can flourish.

Scottie
01-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Scottie - I thought the 50 mile rule was gone years ago. Also when you come down to it if both organizations want the same weekend then the KCBS can suggest that they consider a change but the contests will still be sanctioned. I don't know all the details but maybe other events are dictating they both use this date.

As we get more contests up north we'll face this over and over again.

And both can survive. Lets face it as long as each gets 25 teams it's a qualifier and everybody does not chase the biggest paying contests. Some people actually just do it for fun so a lowere paying smaller qualifier looks very appealing to some.

It's not about a 50 mile rule. It's about both contests going to be drawing from the same pool of cookers. Racine had 30 something and Menomonee had 50 something teams last year on separate weekends. I don't see how they both are going to survive. So instead of our area having 2 good contests, we will be left with one? So I do not know how that grows our sport?

Scottie

Papa Hogg
01-31-2008, 10:09 AM
It's not about a 50 mile rule. It's about both contests going to be drawing from the same pool of cookers. Racine had 30 something and Menomonee had 50 something teams last year on separate weekends. I don't see how they both are going to survive. So instead of our area having 2 good contests, we will be left with one? So I do not know how that grows our sport?

Scottie

That's esentially what I have told both organizers, I've told them both events have there advantages and as a competitor in this area I want to see both events flourish, & if there is a way for them to work together & with KCBS to get one of these events moved there is still plenty of time before the scheduled dates or before people get registered. I hope they can work together & work this out.

Scottie
01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
I do too. As it's not about the $$ as Ford has stated for me. Both contests have above average purses. But both contests also count on a lot of first time cooks. If those first time cooks have to decide between one or the other because they are both on the same weekend, one of the contests is going to suffer. There is just not enough "pro teams" in our region.

Scottie
01-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Just got word that the Board is going to address the issue next week. They didn't want Menomonee to move to 9/12, then it would go against Sparta. So hopefully it will all work out in the end and we can get 2 good contests for our area.

Scottie

Ulcer Acres
01-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Well, it very evident it is survival of the fittest. And contest that are paying more money and providing better services to the cooks will win out. If you are going to compete against each other its going to be money not just a qualifier for the Jack. Most of these larger contest pay way more than the Jack does and this year it will be about money.

Scottie
01-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Man brother, you are preaching to the choir about the Jack not paying much. I almost won as much at Felda as the Jack...

Scottie

tonto1117
01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
While I agree with you and Randy about it being more about $$$ then ever now, there are still us hopefull up and comers who think getting to the Jack is an experience and honor we aspire to.

Podge
01-31-2008, 03:51 PM
While I agree with you and Randy about it being more about $$$ then ever now, there are still us hopefull up and comers who think getting to the Jack is an experience and honor we aspire to.

yeah, getting to compete in the jack is always my goal. but with more and more contests, a feller needs to think to himself if it's important to go to which contests your shots are of breaking even in $$ first, so if you don't win the G.C., you'll recoup your funds to compete another day, and have another shot of getting in the jack draw.

tonto1117
01-31-2008, 05:34 PM
yeah, getting to compete in the jack is always my goal. but with more and more contests, a feller needs to think to himself if it's important to go to which contests your shots are of breaking even in $$ first, so if you don't win the G.C., you'll recoup your funds to compete another day, and have another shot of getting in the jack draw.

I hear you for sure. We want to compete as often as we can afford and it has to be more than a 'hobby'. But, the Jack would still be a great goal.