PDA

View Full Version : How do you afford to compete?

CrackerJack from KC
01-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Just wondering how you finance doing 10-20 competitions a year. A friend of mine competes, and usually has an insurance company sponsor him at one of the local events, they in turn invite all their customers and he doesn't pay a cent for the food or entry fee.

My question is, if you aren't winning every event, and you don't have book revenue coming in (Dr BBQ), are you forking out all the dough yourself as a labor of love, or do most teams have sponsors at every event?

Jeff_in_KC
01-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Three ways basically... a very unpredictable bonus annually. Never know til it comes if I'll get a thing. Second, we get meat sponsors from brokers in towns we compete where my company has offices. Third, at 50.5 cents per mile reimbursement for work travel, I can afford to replace my gas and add the rest back to the BBQ account. If I'm lucky, I can put back a few bucks in winnings plus swipe a little out of the house account when the short woman isn't looking!

widespread
01-26-2008, 02:49 PM
I pay some out of my own pocket and I have a sponsor that puts up some money.

ModelMaker
01-26-2008, 02:50 PM
This just amazes me no end. Since getting involved by judging I just can't believe how much money, time and family involvement you all put out. Between entry fees, meat costs, equipment, and fuel etc. without a really great sponsor I don't think I could do but two or three a year.
I keep this in mind when I show up to judge. You really do deserve my very best attention to your efforts.
ModelMaker

MilitantSquatter
01-26-2008, 02:57 PM
The majority of teams are not cooking 10-20 events/year and don't have sponsors. Not sure what the avg. # is but I know it is much lower than 10-20 which makes the total cost a lot more palatable to most teams.

Some of the well known teams that consistently compete/win have some form of sponsorship and are dedicated to the activity. The degree of sponsorship varies. I'm sure some of these teams are also fortunate enough to finance their hobby independently & partially through their winnings. There are costs to pursuing any hobby. Each person must decide whats financially feasible, how hard they are willing to work to seek out sponsorship and what that will involve providing in return. It's not always as simple as just hanging a banner on their canopy.

I'm sure there are many that can finance 10-20+ contests a year but don't, just because they don't have a desire to compete that frequently as it does take up a substantial amount of weekends in a year.

I don't think it's fair to single out Dr. BBQ here either as for him, those books are part of his occupation to earn his income. That's no different than a writer who writes mystery books or a tradesman who also enjoys competing.

Ford
01-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Like Vinny aid most teams probably do less than 5 events a year. It's a hobby. I try to do between 5-8 each year. I figure cost to me is about $5k. Last year I only did 5 and cut cost a bit and broke even with my GC and a few 1st calls. I use between 5-12 vacation days a year to compete. So I consider it part of my vacation budget. I have no sponsors. This cost does not include equipment.

And a lot of teams will do a little informal "personal chef" work on the side to make some cash. One good party on a weekend can bring in $500 to 1k. I do not cater as that require permits and inspections. Of course that's another weekend cooking so it usually means 1 less contest.

ulikabbq
01-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Last year we competed 5 times and it all came out of our own pocket. The way that we afford it is by having 6-7 teammates that split the cost. When it is all said and done we all end up chipping in about $75.

CrackerJack from KC
01-26-2008, 04:16 PM
The majority of teams are not cooking 10-20 events/year and don't have sponsors. Not sure what the avg. # is but I know it is much lower than 10-20 which makes the total cost a lot more palatable to most teams.

Some of the well known teams that consistently compete/win have some form of sponsorship and are dedicated to the activity. The degree of sponsorship varies. I'm sure some of these teams are also fortunate enough to finance their hobby independently & partially through their winnings. There are costs to pursuing any hobby. Each person must decide whats financially feasible, how hard they are willing to work to seek out sponsorship and what that will involve providing in return. It's not always as simple as just hanging a banner on their canopy.

I'm sure there are many that can finance 10-20+ contests a year but don't, just because they don't have a desire to compete that frequently as it does take up a substantial amount of weekends in a year.

I don't think it's fair to single out Dr. BBQ here either as for him, those books are part of his occupation to earn his income. That's no different than a writer who writes mystery books or a tradesman who also enjoys competing.

Not singling him our per say, I am a newbie, Dr BBQ is the only famous BBQer I know who isn't Steven Raichlen. :icon_blush: PS, ordered two of his books yesterday. :wink:

VA BBQ PIRATES
01-26-2008, 04:21 PM
This is our 2nd year. We did 2 last year and plan 4 to 6 this year. There is just my wife and I and no sponsors. We also use vacation budget. Another thing that helps is we save all our change and it goes into the BBQ piggy bank. Sounds silly but it pays for most of the meat for at least one cometition and every little bit helps.

Tom

Big Mike
01-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I started competing last year and did 4 comps. The team consists of me and my wife, so all costs come out of our pocket. This year I will probably only do 4 or 5 comps, mostly because of work constraints. I have been fortunate enough to get sponsored for one of my comps this year(entry fee paid). Hopefully I will be able to add to that.

ModelMaker,

We cooks appreciate your attention. Thank You.

lunchlady
01-26-2008, 06:43 PM
We do 10-12 competitions, usually more if you count grilling events, in a season. We have no sponsors, but we have the best teammates in the entire WORLD!
This is the greatest sport (hobby) there is... I wouldn't want to do anything else. We bring our kids (who also cook), so it's a family adventure. We love to 'roadtrip' with our mates. We make BBQ friends all over the country, and get to see places we probably would never go if it weren't for competing. And winning every now and then doesn't hurt either!

Although, I have to admit, my house is really in need of some paint!
Too bad, it can wait...

To try to get back to your original question... I PLAN well in advance...

smoke-n-my-i's
01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
This just amazes me no end. Since getting involved by judging I just can't believe how much money, time and family involvement you all put out. Between entry fees, meat costs, equipment, and fuel etc. without a really great sponsor I don't think I could do but two or three a year.
I keep this in mind when I show up to judge. You really do deserve my very best attention to your efforts.
ModelMaker

Thanks for thinking of us and recognizing it.

All of our expenses come out of our pockets. It is just my wife and myself, as our daughter will come along, but doesn't want to help, so she makes herself scarce as much as possible... teenager.

We only ended up doing 2 comps last year and paid out about $1100 total. Not counting all of the equipment. That includes entry fees, meat, garnish, sauces, rubs, gas, our personal food and drinks, etc.

We try to save as much as we can and pay as we go. We will not go into debt for a comp. and put it on plastic.

I am looking at possibly 4 or so this year....

Jeff_in_KC
01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I think I'm going to start a spreadsheet with ALL my expenses and income from BBQ for 2008 and just see how badly I take a beating! :shock::lol: Might make me re-think 2009. :roll:

Sylvie
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
I look at it as a hobby. I enjoy meeting and hanging out with all sorts of folks at events and find that there is no monetary substitute for this brotherhood/sisterhood. My husband likes to deep sea fish. I spend less per year on BBQ events, supplies and meats than he does on fishing equipment and trips. It also helps that we divide the cost for entry fees between our team mates and that I have a full time day job with great vacation benefits. Currently we are only doing 4-6 events per year and that's limited to Southern California. We have no sponsors at this time though we welcome any.

tony76248
01-26-2008, 09:34 PM
We did 13 last year. Being that this is a hobby, it is gonna cost money, before this there was motorcycles (2-Montessas and 1-SWM for the vintage class), and before that there was sailboats (2-windsurfers, 1-16' racing boat and 1-26' which slept four). This is a cheap hobby, plus my wife enjoys it and my daughters can compete too. We got better throughout the year and made enough to cover in four of the competitions.

I can tell you one thing, the more you do, the better you will get and you could probably afford to compete in more. By only doing a few a year, your chance of improving greatly will be at a minimum. That is not to say that you wont luck out once in a while. I do have a sponsor for this year, but it will not be much, I'll post how that works out. I could have a sponsor (my wife's company, whom I have cooked for gratis on several occasions) who would pay the whole cost but then I would be beholden to them and it isn't worth it to me. Then again, the way I look at it they are already sponsoring us when she gets her paycheck.

BTW, I know some folks who are writing this off on their taxes. You can probably write off every visit to the supermarket and half your gas for the year. Plus cell phone, plus any kitchen supplies....etc etc etc

Pig Headed
01-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Funny that this thread started. My wife just finished computing my BBQ expenses this year. HOLY CHIT!!! I was stunned. This was my first year competing and we did 4 comps and paid for everything. A lot of the expenses were start up costs, such as trailer, smokers, tables etc. Wow, I'm really in the dog house now.

widespread
01-26-2008, 10:23 PM
You get to spend quality time with family and friends. How can you put a price on that? And by now, most of your equipment is paid for (except for replacing ruined ez-ups).

Squeel Appeal
01-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Well as far as we go the team splits the amount of the comps between us. My wife and I buy all the stuff for sauces , rubs etc. Sponsors are hard to come by around here.

Sawdustguy
01-26-2008, 10:52 PM
To be honest we don't count how much it costs anymore. I guess if you have to ask you probably can't afford it. We are not Gods gift to championship BBQ, at least not yet, ya never know. We do it as a family thing. My brother and I do this along with our families. We do it because we all absolutely love it. How can we put a price on something we love. Everyone on the team contributes in one way or another, even our moms, who will from time to time, contribute a case of soda or beer and some cold cuts for lunch Saturday. We set a yearly budget between my brother and I of about $5000. We compete until the money runs out. We set out to do 8 contests and see where it goes depending on our schedules. I spent a few dinaro getting us set up with the right equipment in the beginning because I had some extra cash and thought it would make it a little easier on the team. You can get yourself set up for alot less than we did. Even if you cook just one contest you will be better of for it. The people are wonderful and the amount of fun is limitless. If you don't have fun competing at a BBQ contest there is something wrong with you.:biggrin:

SmokeInDaEye
01-26-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm with Guy. In it for the fun. I don't belong to a gym, don't golf or fish. BBQ is MY time so if I spend a little bit doing a few contests a year, so be it. I'll do four this summer and maybe five next year, but that's about it.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-26-2008, 11:55 PM
well put!!!!!!! except my family I really dont do anything. I love the look on friends faces when I get one step closer to getting it right!I'm with Guy. In it for the fun. I don't belong to a gym, don't golf or fish. BBQ is MY time so if I spend a little bit doing a few contests a year, so be it. I'll do four this summer and maybe five next year, but that's about it.

Sawdustguy
01-27-2008, 03:31 AM
well put!!!!!!! except my family I really dont do anything. I love the look on friends faces when I get one step closer to getting it right!

Absolutely right on Target! Thats why even when we don't do as well we cook another contest!:cool:

gordo
01-27-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm always looking for a sponsor..:rolleyes:

But cooked about 15 contest last year...I pick cookoffs that don't cost a arm & leg to enter...Royal was the big one last year, but also cooked 5 over 50 teams, and 2 over 100 teams..

Always helps to pick up a little change in winnings...just to pay to play the game again...

Lucky I'm here in the Houston area...can cook many within 50 miles from the house...

Some big, some small, some sanctioned, some non-sanctioned...

But the party never ends!!!!:biggrin:

Smokeneyes
01-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Our team is through our Vol. Fire Company. For our 1st contest I got a local pizza guy to donate ribs and chicklen, a local bar to pay the entrance fee and we spit up the rest. This year we are having our own cook-off in May, hopefully we make enough to afford the three we want to enter.

jbrink01
01-27-2008, 07:01 PM
We did 5-6 the ;ast couple years. Out of our own pocket, but that is a little self serving. We have a catering business, and a few awards sure help out the PR. We can advertise a GC, and do! We have spent about $10,000 over 3 years, and won maybe $4,000. The catering side business does really well, so we call it advertising.

bcis93
01-27-2008, 08:56 PM
We had some help from a local communications company that my friend owns. That paid for 6 of the 12 entry fees for last year. The rest (entry, food, and other expences) comes out of my pocket.

Its a hobby. Most hobbies, racing, golf, motorcycles, cost $. I'm in it for fun and sometimes it cost to have it!

KC_Bobby
01-27-2008, 10:51 PM
I think I'm going to start a spreadsheet with ALL my expenses and income from BBQ for 2008 and just see how badly I take a beating! :shock::lol: Might make me re-think 2009. :roll:

Don't do it. Don and I have a spreadsheet so we can even out the costs ... and ... umm well ... we try to keep all other eyes off it. :eek:

Oh, and I didn't play even one hole of golf in 2007 to pay my half. But on the plus side, my bad swing habits should be gone.

ThomEmery
01-27-2008, 10:53 PM
My corporation sponsors my team
In other words I pay for my play
We only get to cook a few because
we organize many of the events we
attend

CajunSmoker
01-28-2008, 06:35 AM
My corporation sponsors my team
In other words I pay for my play
We only get to cook a few because
we organize many of the events we
attend

Now that has me thinking:idea: As a small biz owner, can I sponsor myself and then write it off on the business side? Sounds like time to call my CPA:biggrin:

Q Haven
01-28-2008, 07:29 AM
I have worked a part time bartending job the last two years, and basicly used that money to compete. I wish I could drum up some sponsorship dough so I don't have to work so hard, but it is not easy.

But I really don't worry about the $$$ so much. I've really enjoyed competing with friends, making new ones and just being part of the scene. There is no better hobby in my opinion.

jbrink01
01-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Now that has me thinking:idea: As a small biz owner, can I sponsor myself and then write it off on the business side? Sounds like time to call my CPA:biggrin:

We do. B&B BBQ and Catering, llc, pays the bills and we in turn consider it advertising and promotion. I'm married to my CPA.

Sledneck
01-28-2008, 07:40 AM
I married a sugar momma

ThomEmery
01-28-2008, 07:49 AM

I always invite customers from the trash biz to attend and feed them
The our new catering biz is a easy way to cover expenses

And yes we do keep the Trash biz and the Catering seperated LOL

michiana mark
01-28-2008, 08:07 AM
We only did one last year, our first and really enjoyed ourselves, my son and I. I paid for it out of my pocket. We do a couple private parties here and there, and that helps. Don't compete too get rich and famous, but to see where we stacked up against the rest.

MoKanMeathead
01-28-2008, 08:32 AM
There are 5 of us on the team (not all attend every contest) and we did 14 contests last year. Out total cost, excluding personal stuff (like alcohol $$) we spent $6,900. Our net costs after winnings was $2,650 so our net cost per contest was between $30 and $50 depending on how many and which contests we were all at.

We had a good year last year but never got a GC but all those 2nds, 3rds, etc. add up.

Hope we are as lucky this year because without winnings it would get expensive.

Que'inKC
01-28-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm new to this (never have competed), and after reading all the contents it seems to me you could probably spend as much or as little as you wanted to depending on what you do. What I mean is your obviously going to have some expenses you can't get out of, such as entrance fee's, meat, fuel, misc supplies...

I've read stuff before that there are teams that smoke 10 racks of ribs and only turn in what looks best...

I might not know what I'm talking about (probably don't) but I think you can get buy pretty inexpensively if you are efficient...

Sledneck
01-28-2008, 09:23 AM
I might not know what I'm talking about (probably don't) but I think you can get buy pretty inexpensively if you are efficient...
I usually do 2 racks od ribs, 2 butts, 2 briskets . This year i am going to cut back and do one brisket. Just less to deal with. I also pretrim at home. I want to do as little work at a contest as posible. Would rather have fun

Ford
01-28-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm new to this (never have competed), and after reading all the contents it seems to me you could probably spend as much or as little as you wanted to depending on what you do. What I mean is your obviously going to have some expenses you can't get out of, such as entrance fee's, meat, fuel, misc supplies...

I've read stuff before that there are teams that smoke 10 racks of ribs and only turn in what looks best...

If you have space you should cook as much as you can afford. Especially when you're starting out. As you get consistent you start cooking less. I went from 4 butts to 2, 6 slabs to 3 and 24+ thighs to 10. I still cook 3 or 4 Briskets. Why the extra briskets? Cause it's still nto where I want it to be. Now sometimes I'd like to have a 3rd butt cause it's easy to mess up temps and not have any slices with just 2. More chance for making up for a mistake.

Mitchelina
01-28-2008, 09:27 AM
We looked at our costs for the 8 we did last year and figure it's about $350-$400 per comp and it's almost all been out of our pockets. We're one of those teams that cooks 1 brisket, 1 butt, 2 racks of ribs and a package of chicken. And hopefully it all turns out.

We keep our costs down by loading up the deep freeze when our meats go one sale, which helps. Spices and sauce fixins we buy in bulk. Contests are mostly local and $150 or under. We'd love to do the Royal but for what it costs we never will until we qualify for the invitational. We're not big drinkers or partiers and we're not buying cases of beer and making a meal for everyone on Friday night. Since we don't take off work on Fridays, we're working on Friday night and might grab a Subway sandwich between 9 and 11 p.m.

We're about to go sponsor hunting... but mostly, this is our hobby. We call it "camping with a purpose". And we still have a GREAT time!

Podge
01-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I am as broke as the next guy. All expenses come out of pocket, and i spend anywhere from $600-$800 per contest, depending on location. I do about 8 a year. The very first thing i look for in a contest is prize money. Not because i'm a greedy bastard, is because i want a shot to make my money back so i can afford to compete again. if i feel i can go to a contest and get a couple of good calls and make back over at least $300-$400 I'll consider it.. i also look at all the other same variables everyone else does. Luckily, i was a little ahead for 2007.

Juggy D Beerman
01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
My brother and I cook about five or six contests a year including that $1000.oo weekend they call the American Royal. The other contests we cook are within a two hour drive for either of us. We cook two butts, two briskets, three slabs of back ribs, and twelve chicken thighs. Our meat bill is usually around $100.oo per contest. We spend more on lettuce and parsley than we do on chicken.

I figure with entry fees, gas, meat bills, charcoal, ice, spices, sauces, marinades and other miscellaneous items as well as our meals and beverages, most contests cost us at least $400.oo per with many running in the $500.oo range. Mark and I split the costs and sometimes we have teammates who chip in.

I would bet that most teams who do cook more than ten contests a year have a sponsorship of some sort. I see a lot of teams that cook 20 contests or more a year have some sort of bbq product out on the market. This is not a judgement by upon my part on these teams - more power to them.

What disappoints me about the direction the KCBS seems to taking is this. These teams with sponsorships and products for sale seem to be the teams the organization is now marketing to. I would bet the overall majority of teams that cook in KCBS contests cook in less than ten contests a year. These are the teams that are the backbone of the KCBS. They are also the teams that are not eligible for ToY.

Lager,

Juggy D Beerman

MAsQue
01-28-2008, 12:50 PM
I married a sugar momma

I was thinking of trying what my grandmother used to call "swinging your purse down on the corner", but it occurs to me that I am unlikely to be able to sell what I cannot give away.:sad:

I got lucky a couple of years ago and hit the lottery in a small way, which paid for the trailer. Everything else comes out of my pocket with help from the teammates. We have not yet got to the point where we can hope for a check at every contest, but we did pick up a couple last year and they went to paying for a couple of additional contests that we would not otherwise have gone to.

Tinybud
01-28-2008, 12:55 PM
In 06 and 07, we did 3 comps each year, Planning on 3 this year, possibly a 4th. Its just my wife and I, with the exception of Dover. The costs are all out of pocket. In 2007, we started our catering business, starting small, but we also use the catering business to sponsor our comp team. I bbq'ed at home for quit a few years, and once I did my first comp in 06, I've been totally hooked on BBQ, and don't even want to think of how much money we've spent on bbq stuff. But it is my hobby, and I won't give it up, its entirely too enjoyable.

Bentley
01-28-2008, 02:07 PM

We did 4 last year! Even if I had unlimited funds or sponsers, I dont know how I could do 10-20, no way to get that much time off of work.

tony76248
01-28-2008, 02:10 PM
What disappoints me about the direction the KCBS seems to taking is this. These teams with sponsorships and products for sale seem to be the teams the organization is now marketing to. I would bet the overall majority of teams that cook in KCBS contests cook in less than ten contests a year. These are the teams that are the backbone of the KCBS. They are also the teams that are not eligible for ToY.

Lager,

Juggy D Beerman

IBCA is looking better all the time.

drbbq
01-28-2008, 02:22 PM
My question is, if you aren't winning every event, and you don't have book revenue coming in (Dr BBQ), are you forking out all the dough yourself as a labor of love, or do most teams have sponsors at every event?

I competed for many years before I had any book revenue. See that's how it worked. Compete for 20 years and someone pays a small amount for your knowledge. (Then everyone thinks your rich)

For me it was a hobby and I was lucky enough to have a good job so I spent some of my own cash to enjoy my hobby.

Fatback Joe
01-28-2008, 02:37 PM
I competed for many years before I had any book revenue. See that's how it worked. Compete for 20 years and someone pays a small amount for your knowledge. (Then everyone thinks your rich)

For me it was a hobby and I was lucky enough to have a good job so I spent some of my own cash to enjoy my hobby.

From where I saw you sitting on that flight we were on together to Cincinati, I can vouch for you not being rich. LOL..........well if you are, you aren't spending it on flying first class. :mrgreen:

KC_Bobby
01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
We did 4 last year! Even if I had unlimited funds or sponsers, I dont know how I could do 10-20, no way to get that much time off of work.

I've wondered how some do that too. But, more power to those able too.

Dale P
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Ray, you got the job for the single man. BBQ goupies!

Papa Hogg
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I just started competing last year & pay out of my own pocket, to keep the cost down I only cook 2 butts, 1 brisket, 3 slabs of ribs & 1 pkg chicken (12 thighs), so it usually costs me less than $500 for all expenses to compete.

I have recently started selling my meat on the side (Fred Garvin mod) to help cover expenses this year because it looks like I'll be doing 5 comps. But like others have said you can't really put a price on spending time with family & friends. Hopefully we'll get a couple of money finishes this year also.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-28-2008, 03:45 PM

You will wish you hadn't... it will score you out of competing.... just spend it, have fun, and keep going.... and don't forget the pics.

swamprb
01-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Before I had kids, we travelled, took a few ski vacations a year, a nice summer vaction etc. 2 incomes - no kids, small mortgage, no worries! Then the clock started ticking... had two kids, bigger house, minivan and had to readjust priorities. My hobbies turned into coaching or helping with my kids sporting activities practically year round with school. My son was on a couple Select baseball and Basketball teams, daughter played basketball, Fastpitch and Vball and when it got to the point where they are in High School I can't even fathom how much money was spent. I moped around for a year before it dawned on me I didn't have a hobby, I love Q'n and spent the last year learning as much as I can, collecting pits, canopies, taking classes, judging and hanging out here with the Brethren and finally competing. It's been a blast! Hooked up with JD and we got us a team, share the expenses, do at least 4 comps- maybe more locally this summer and have some fun, it's nice to hear your name called, if it happens it happens, if not I plan to have a good time!

JD McGee
01-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Hooked up with the Swamprb...^^^...:-P:-P:-P A local BBQ restaraunt owner has offered to sponsor us this year...Teddy Bear BBQ in Duvall, WA http://www.teddybearbbq.com/ (gotta give him a plug) Thanks Konrad! Brian is the ultimate resource for BBQ knowledge...he's definitely the brains...I'm just along for the ride! :-P

Transformer BBQ
01-28-2008, 06:30 PM
At first, the contests are totally a write off... money spent for a hobby. If you were into hunting, or fishing... or whatever, these are the point where you buy equipment, have a great time, catch nothing.

Once you are past this point you own all the stuff, and you narrow down sauces/rubs etc. so you can buy a gallon of a suace vs. a pint or a quart. You also find RD, stop spending 3.59/lb for briskets, and start spending 1.65 for the same product or better. You also buy things by the case... ribs are 30 cents a lb cheaper by the case.

At this point, we spend $125-150 a contest on rub/meat/sauce/foil etc. Plus the entry fee and gas... and with a couple walks you get close to breaking even some days.

So you and your friends hung out all weekend, had a great time, ate good food, met great people... maybe got a ribbon... and each of you spent $40(maybe) + beer? I think you're doing pretty well.

swamprb
01-28-2008, 08:14 PM
So if you buy meat by the case, are you vending the rest, or freezing and saving it for the next comp? I could see splitting it with other teams. I guess I'm not sure how much a case is?

Transformer BBQ
01-29-2008, 10:08 AM
We only vend one event a year. Some for personal consumption, but most gets used for contests.

Cases aren't that much:
10 Racks of Ribs-- ~$60 (2.5 contests worth)
6 pork butts-- ~$60-70 (three contests)
5 Briskets- ~$90 (2.5 contests) (these vary in size... usually one monster, 2 smalls and 2 mediums), I weight them when they come out of the case, write the weight on the cryo before they are frozen)

chicken I don't buy by the case, since a case is usually 40lbs... and I don't need that much.

So without counting chicken... and rounding everything to 2.5 contests... I'm spending about $85 in meat on three categories. Divide that by team members... we're in for $30 or less a person at this point.

We'll save some of the stuff cooked for friends and family, and then lately we've been able to donate the left overs to charity--

butts a fire
01-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Yep, competing can be pretty costly and you can get off pretty cheap it is all up to the person competing on how much they want to spend on meat and everything else. It is just me and the wife paying for the contests we do which has been 4 a year. It is my one and only hobby, I really can't think of a much better way to spend a friday night and saturday than sitting by the smoker at a comp. It doesn't really matter to me how much it costs I will continue to do as many contests as I can each year.

Just Smokin' Around
01-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Finding a sponsor proved to be difficult (might have had better luck if I actually tried harder). So, I thought about robbing banks, but they had too many cameras :roll:. Then I thought about robbing liquor stores for the money, but they all knew who I was being such a regular customer and all :wink:. So, we end up just sponsoring ourself.
It's a hobby and one I enjoy. All hobbies cost money and I know some that are a lot more than BBQ. We do about 5 contest a year and budget it out over the course of the season.

ZILLA
01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
We look at it as a hobby I guess, so we shell out the money our selves. We had one group of bussinessmen sponsor us to the Royal last year. We almost broke even after a few solid wins too. As far as entry fees, meat and such. All the whistles and bells we like we pay for.

Sawdustguy
01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Ten years when we used to have our boat it cost $2500 per year for dock space and storage plus our dockage contract required Marina to do all maintence, which was another $500 per year. If I added Fuel costs, food and other miscellanous expences we spend about $5000/season. It's about the same we spend on BBQ per year now and that is split with my brother. Believe me the start-up costs for BBQ were alot less that we bought the boat for. I think we even have more fun now with BBQ that we had with the boat. If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay!

CrackerJack from KC
01-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread.

It's nice to know up front what it will take to make the jump from backyard queing to the big leagues.