PDA

View Full Version : Will BBQ become a sport?

Wizards of 'Que
01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
I donít believe it will. To be a real sport, you need spectators. I donít think MMA or anyone else will be able to convince the public to pay big bucks to watch us stare at our cookers and drink beer. There just doesnít seem to be much entertainment value to a contest. This is a great hobby, but Iím donít see it becoming a sport.

Iím curious about your thoughts.

tony76248
01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Actually, the thought of spectators is fun until they start getting in your way at turn-in. I have actually asked that folks avoid me and my cooking area until the final turn-in takes place. ......then we drink......

I think of it as a hobby and not a sport since we do not require a physical presence. Not that it doesn't help at times to be physical.

Ford
01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
It's already a sport. We compete to win, there are trophies and cash for winners. Losers drown their sorrows.

BUT it's not a spectator sport. Other than the Olympics every 4 years, how many people other than close friends and family watch greco roman wrestling, synch swimming, but they are sports. So you don't need spectators to be a sport.

And that's good because I'd hate to see us being televised with a camera watching our every move and some "expert" announcer questioning if we used too much rub on that rib. Can't you just see it like the poker tournaments. And that's a real good paying sport and maybe they should be comparing BBQ to Poker not to NASCAR. I can see it now with Joe Buck announcing and Paul Kirk doing color and Dr BBQ on the sidelines doing itnerviews just like Troy Aikman and The Goose.

DawgPhan
01-22-2008, 03:16 PM
I havent thought of it before, but poker is an excellant comparison. While there is some "specatorness" to poker most of what you see on tv is because of editing. Poker tourneys take forever and are generally very boring.

scottyd
01-22-2008, 03:26 PM
It's already a sport. We compete to win, there are trophies and cash for winners. Losers drown their sorrows.

BUT it's not a spectator sport. Other than the Olympics every 4 years, how many people other than close friends and family watch greco roman wrestling, synch swimming, but they are sports. So you don't need spectators to be a sport.

And that's good because I'd hate to see us being televised with a camera watching our every move and some "expert" announcer questioning if we used too much rub on that rib. Can't you just see it like the poker tournaments. And that's a real good paying sport and maybe they should be comparing BBQ to Poker not to NASCAR. I can see it now with Joe Buck announcing and Paul Kirk doing color and Dr BBQ on the sidelines doing itnerviews just like Troy Aikman and The Goose.

Wouldn't that be gambling you know the poker thing, BBQ isn't gambling. So how can you comepare the two.

Just having some fun!

SP
01-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Its a competition. nuff said.

Wizards of 'Que
01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Ford, your desciption sounds like a typical weekly poker game at someone's house. You compete for each other's money. At a successful contest, the entry fees cover prize money. Pretty much the same. Do you consider dominoes a sport? Saw the world championship on ESPN the other day, but can't see dominoes as a sport. The National Spelling Bee is on TV with Prizes and trophies, is it a sport?

Unless people become willing to pay to watch we will be playing for our own money. You are right that poker is a better comparision, but not WS of Poker, but the buddies in the game room type.

The Pickled Pig
01-22-2008, 04:02 PM
According to http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary I think it qualifies as a sport...maybe not an athletic sport but a sport none-the-less.

Main Entry: sport
Function: noun
Date: 15th century

1 a: a source of diversion : recreation (http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/recreation) b: sexual play c (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2): a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

watg?
01-22-2008, 04:06 PM
sport [spawrt, spohrt]
Ėnoun 1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc. 2.a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors. 3.diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

I think we have these three covered.:lol:

CharlieBeasley
01-22-2008, 04:08 PM
One contest allow spectators for the judges so they watch us chew why not drink?

Ford
01-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Unless people become willing to pay to watch we will be playing for our own money. You are right that poker is a better comparision, but not WS of Poker, but the buddies in the game room type.
Actually I'm thinking TV. How about bass fishing. Now what's more boring than watching a fat of bald guy with a bass boat cast and retrieve for hours without a bite. But edit a full 4 days of fishing into a one hour action packed show and all of a suddne they have 100K payouts and more. Plus sponsors for teams who want their logo on TV. In poker on TV today and there's tons of it on the dish on the Sports channels not just the WS and on Bravo and Travel. And how many of the contestants wear ads on their clothes? And anybody can pay a fee to enter these tourneys. Now it's more than we pay but heck their prizes are in the millions.

How about a series for TV - 13 contests, prize money of $200K per so 2.6 mil investment less entry fees, sponsors, etc to get 13 - 1 hour epsidoes in the can. No fees to the actors (cooks and judges). Now if you can sell it to a TV network and get sponsors then it's the World Series of BBQ. Anybody can enter. Heck I'd pay $500 entry fee for a shot. Mike, Johnny and the rest put their pants on one leg at a time and on any given day they can be whipped. Just ask Podge or Scottie.

SP
01-22-2008, 04:13 PM
sport [spawrt, spohrt]
Ėnoun 1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc. 2.a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors. 3.diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

I think we have these three covered.:lol:

According to that definition, setting on the porch drinking ice tea is a sport, because some may think of it as a pleasant pastime.

Wizards of 'Que
01-22-2008, 04:13 PM
I guess I was really thinking about Nascar or other professional sports. I guess as a recreation, we might be an amateur sport. Like the guys who race stock cars down at the local speedway on saturday night.

Wizards of 'Que
01-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Ford, you notice there was no second season.

SP
01-22-2008, 04:17 PM
:twisted:This is fun lets start a thread on whether or not pellet cookers are cheating.:twisted:

Bbq Bubba
01-22-2008, 04:18 PM

Yet!!! :wink:

Bud's BBQ
01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Actually I'm thinking TV. How about bass fishing. Now what's more boring than watching a fat of bald guy with a bass boat cast and retrieve for hours without a bite. But edit a full 4 days of fishing into a one hour action packed show and all of a suddne they have 100K payouts and more. Plus sponsors for teams who want their logo on TV. In poker on TV today and there's tons of it on the dish on the Sports channels not just the WS and on Bravo and Travel. And how many of the contestants wear ads on their clothes? And anybody can pay a fee to enter these tourneys. Now it's more than we pay but heck their prizes are in the millions.

How about a series for TV - 13 contests, prize money of $200K per so 2.6 mil investment less entry fees, sponsors, etc to get 13 - 1 hour epsidoes in the can. No fees to the actors (cooks and judges). Now if you can sell it to a TV network and get sponsors then it's the World Series of BBQ. Anybody can enter. Heck I'd pay $500 entry fee for a shot. Mike, Johnny and the rest put their pants on one leg at a time and on any given day they can be whipped. Just ask Podge or Scottie.

Yo, Ford, where did you get that idea? I've been talking about a "reality" TV series about the bbq ciruit for years. Forget rubs, books and tutorials, let's get on TV!!!!

SP
01-22-2008, 04:26 PM

Actually that was the second season. The first wasn't all hyped up with "catch and kill", or what ever they called it, and all the other things. It was more like a bbq comp. Squeal of Approval won it all.

watg?
01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
According to that definition, setting on the porch drinking ice tea is a sport, because some may think of it as a pleasant pastime.

sounds good to me, as long as we are talking sweet tea!

swamprb
01-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Would you pay an admission to watch us cook?

jestridge
01-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Whatever it is I enjoy it.

ipls3355
01-22-2008, 05:34 PM
If BBQ is a sport, are we are athletes?:-D:lol:

kcpellethead
01-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Nothing you can do while drinking a beer should be called a sport.

Rod

Wizards of 'Que
01-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Look at these athletes

http://www.wizardsofque.com/DRBBQrod.jpg

Nitrofly
01-22-2008, 05:56 PM
I resemble those pics :icon_blush:

kcpellethead
01-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Those are two very fine tuned barbeque machines Fred!

Rod

Wizards of 'Que
01-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Fine examples of BBQ evolution...

tonto1117
01-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Those are two BBQ Linemen if I ever saw them!!!! :wink:

Jeff_in_KC
01-22-2008, 06:16 PM
1 a: a source of diversion : recreation (http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/recreation) b: sexual play c (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2): a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

Paul, although I'm all for the concept, I have yet to have sex at a BBQ contest. Although we all know someone who came close at De Soto! :lol:

ThomEmery
01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
If Bowling is a sport so is BBQ

As far as the fans go
We are doing Peoples Choice Contests out here
Lots of folks watching what your doing and enjoying the Que
and voting for their favorite
Best of all you get paid for your efforts

Bbq Bubba
01-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Look at these athletes

I think the governing body would have them checked for steroid's!!! :rolleyes:

Wizards of 'Que
01-22-2008, 06:26 PM
I agree that Peoples Choice is great for competitions, but too few contests have them and too few teams participate.

Wizards of 'Que
01-22-2008, 06:28 PM

I can assure you that that is pure BBQ. Well, maybe some malt beverage also.

JohnMcD348
01-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Paul, although I'm all for the concept, I have yet to have sex at a BBQ contest. Although we all know someone who came close at De Soto! :lol:

:twisted:

burnin butts
01-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Wouldn't that be gambling you know the poker thing, BBQ isn't gambling. So how can you comepare the two.

Just having some fun!

There is a strong resemblance between the two, it's allways a gamble everytime you light the coals at a comp. The weather, humidity, and barrometric pressure all have to be just right. Not to mention the human error and judgement factor. So I guess it is a sport after all!!!
Go for the gold!!!!!!

Plowboy
01-22-2008, 10:16 PM

Rod

Like slow pitch softball.

Plowboy
01-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Paul, although I'm all for the concept, I have yet to have sex at a BBQ contest.

Jeff, it still counts even if you were alone.

scottyd
01-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Now that's just too funny!

YankeeBBQ
01-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Just having some fun!

Poker is a game of skill it is not gambling unless you don't know what your doing. There is some luck involved (same with bbq) but if there wasn't skill involved you wouldn't be seeing the same faces at the final table.

rookiedad
01-23-2008, 08:41 AM
what about it is not a sport? we compete... under a sanctioning body... for money! yes it's fun but it's far from easy. it's strenuous and speed, accuracy and timing are involved. there are spectators! i think all those people walking up and down the isles are spectators. it's covered on t.v. (although i can't figure out why espn covers scrabble and not bbq). but its just beginning. if we want to grow the sport it will be up to the competitors to accept the change that comes with growth. nascar grew, fishing grew, why not bbq? i like the idea of a bbq millionaire, not that money should be the driving factor but it would add some heft to the sport. heres an idea... why don't we comprise a team out of members of various brethren teams and see if we can get an energy drink co. to sponsor us like in the x-games... just for fun... just to see what the response would be. just some thoughts.

phil

Nitrofly
01-23-2008, 08:42 AM

The test results are in no steroids were found in either BBQ athlete.
But it was noted a high amount of beer and pork was found in both
of their blood tests. :icon_blush:

michiana mark
01-23-2008, 08:47 AM
:twisted:This is fun lets start a thread on whether or not pellet cookers are cheating.:twisted:

Pot stirer.

River City Smokehouse
01-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Now Todd....that just ain't a picture I needed painted this morning. I'll think of that from now on every time I go to a contest and shake
Jeff's hand.:mrgreen::eek:

YankeeBBQ
01-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Look at these athletes

I wonder what that microwave is for ??????????? :icon_bugeyed:icon_bugeyed:icon_bugeyed:icon_bugey ed

River City Smokehouse
01-23-2008, 08:54 AM
PARBOILING!:eek:

SP
01-23-2008, 09:02 AM
To me a sport is something that requires athletes, and there are exceptions to everything. All of us can go out and cook in the backyard, as we can go shoot baskets in the frontyard or go play golf or bowl. But its highly unlikely that any of us will be in the NBA, PGA or what ever they call the pro bowling. By the exapls I have heard anything you do can be considered a sport, woodworking, video games etc. Lets put it this way, what would happen first Micheal Jordan winning a bbq award or Mike Davis jumping from the free throw line for a slam. I am not to trying to diminish how hard competitive bbq is because its hard to win a GC and there are very talanted people that can do it often, but highly athletic, over paid, whiney people play pro sports.

All opions though.

Bigmista
01-23-2008, 09:10 AM
If Bowling is a sport so is BBQ

As far as the fans go
We are doing Peoples Choice Contests out here
Lots of folks watching what your doing and enjoying the Que
and voting for their favorite
Best of all you get paid for your efforts

I agree with this. People's choice contests are a lot of fun. You get to interact with the crowd. They get to taste what you are cooking. Everyone has fun and you don't go home empty-handed.

Ford
01-23-2008, 09:16 AM
I wonder what that microwave is for ??????????? :icon_bugeyed:icon_bugeyed:icon_bugeyed:icon_bugey ed
You don't have one in your trailer? How do you finish your chicken without one?

Actually I use mine if I have 30 amp service at a contest to heat up day old Krispy Kremes. 3 or 4 on a plate for about 30 seconds and they taste just like they came out of the store. And it's a heck of a lot easier than cooking a beef tenderloin :biggrin:

Dale P
01-23-2008, 09:19 AM
I would like to see M Jordan drink 20 beers and get his food in on time.

Papa Hogg
01-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Would you pay an admission to watch us cook?

A couple thousand people pay admission at the Zoo-B-Que on Friday & Saturday.

I say it is a sport...timing, endurance, focus...

Wizards of 'Que
01-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Is BBQ contest the only activity there?

Scottie
01-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Well, it seems we also had a vodka and lemonade contest. You have to watch out for that Carp and Cheese, they are bad influences on a hot fall day... :roll:

Papa Hogg
01-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Is BBQ contest the only activity there?

There is the zoo, but I would say all the people on those 2 days are there for the BBQ Comp.

Mo-Dave
01-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Since my first contest I have been saying its a contact sport, with no bias for the overweight, aged, chemically impaired, mentally or physically handy caped. Many contestants posses all of these traits and still do very well. Now I ask you what other sport can attest to that. :eusa_clap I meant endurance sport, not contact sport.
Dave

KC_Bobby
01-23-2008, 12:27 PM
golf
-John Daly mod

Bbq Bubba
01-23-2008, 01:06 PM
You don't have one in your trailer? How do you finish your chicken without one?

Actually I use mine if I have 30 amp service at a contest to heat up day old Krispy Kremes. 3 or 4 on a plate for about 30 seconds and they taste just like they came out of the store. And it's a heck of a lot easier than cooking a beef tenderloin :biggrin:

Ummmmmmm...........Doughnut's!!! (homer Simpson Mod) :mrgreen:

RichardF
01-23-2008, 02:26 PM
These guys seem to think its -

COMPETITION BARBECUE the number one national sport (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35680)

Wizards of 'Que
01-23-2008, 03:02 PM
When I read "The best part about the sport: the fans are as generously compensated as the players. Attendees get to eat to their hearts' content and bond with fellow 'cue fanatics amid a haze of fragrant wood smoke.", I wonder how much they know.

JohnMcD348
01-23-2008, 08:47 PM

Birngs whole new meaning to pulled pork at the contest.

ThomEmery
01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
I agree that Peoples Choice is great for competitions, but too few contests have them and too few teams participate.

I have required it at some of my contests
It is too much fun not to do it

Puppyboy
01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Its a competition. nuff said. I am leaning towards this.

RodWhat about playing quarters?

Reguardless if it is a sport or not, I will make the following statement:

To my knowledge, I have never taken performance enhancing drugs.

michiana mark
01-24-2008, 10:01 AM

To my knowledge, I have never taken performance enhancing drugs.[/quote]

Yes, but can you say the same thing about the chicken?

michiana mark
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
This is how bbq is defined in our home. A sport, where a fat bal headed man is king.

Bbq Bubba
01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
This is how bbq is defined in our home. A sport, where a fat bal headed man is king.

Your son told me HE did all the cookin, you were just there to stoke the fire!! :cool:

Greendriver
01-24-2008, 05:41 PM

Your entertainment qualities are purdy good yourself - maybe you need to be in the booth too. I'm serious.

Edit Edit: I just went to get a refill and walked by the boss lady here at the house who also helps at comps or at least up to about midnight, and asked her if cooking at contest was a sport or hobby and she said and "Sport" and I said "Why" and she said "because a hobby is more fun and this is more like work" and I said "that don't make sense - then scratched my head a bit and quickly started seeing her point of view has merit". We put a lot into this and there are a lot of hobbies you wouldn't have to do so much.

WineMaster
01-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I am leaning towards this.

What about playing quarters?

To my knowledge, I have never taken performance enhancing drugs.

But you do inject!!!!!!!!!!!!

acorette
01-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Anybody seen the "Championship Barbeque"series on the VS channel?

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/21973/?tf=OLNPressCenter_articles.tpl&UserDef=true

Looks like it's been a sport all along.

SmokeInDaEye
01-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Am I the only one who has had to sprint long distances while keeping my turn-in box level --- sometimes even leaping small obstacles like children and cats --- when trying to get to the judges table with 3 seconds left on the clock??????

That, my friends, is a sport!

YankeeBBQ
01-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Am I the only one who has had to sprint long distances while keeping my turn-in box level --- sometimes even leaping small obstacles like children and cats --- when trying to get to the judges table with 3 seconds left on the clock??????

Not to mention running though large crowds wielding a machete sized knife !

YankeeBBQ
01-25-2008, 11:33 AM
But you do inject!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vitamin B12 and Lidocaine

KC_Bobby
01-25-2008, 12:18 PM

I've had to avoid a golf cart full of reps/volunteers while I was running up there trying to get it in on time. One would have thought that a rep seeing someone run up with a styrafoam container during a turn in would have figured out Hey, lets stop and get out of this person's way ... no such luck.

SmokeInDaEye
01-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Not to mention running though large crowds wielding a machete sized knife !

And that's why I'm no longer welcome at Memphis in May. Wonder if the Food Network got footage of that for their Myron Mixon special?:biggrin:

Nitrofly
01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Vitamin B12 and Lidocaine

Is that the stuff that made the Rocket cry :icon_blush:

Ulcer Acres
01-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Sorry to get in on this thread so late. But I have to bring something to Freds attention. Fred, I have been getting addmission pay from people at contest just to watch you and I cook. I get double pay from them to watch us after turn in until Sunday morning. Just remember some of the drinking that has gone on, and people love that stuff. Two old fat guys falling down drunk trying to impress young hot chicks. Waite that is everyone in bbq contest.

SmokeInDaEye
01-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Sorry to get in on this thread so late. But I have to bring something to Freds attention. Fred, I have been getting addmission pay from people at contest just to watch you and I cook. I get double pay from them to watch us after turn in until Sunday morning.

It's true, fred. Best damn 35 cents I've ever spent, too!

BBQchef33
08-19-2009, 09:04 AM
BUMP!

Bumping this thread to follow up on the convesation in the Hudson Valley Thread.

SmokeInDaEye
08-19-2009, 09:29 AM
CNN says right here (http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/07/01/barbecue.competition.teams/index.html) that competition barbecue is a sport so it must be true.

From the story: "Of all the great sports of summer, only one leaves competitors covered with sauce, smelling like smoke and clutching trophies with charcoal under their fingernails. Barbecue -- the staple of gatherings with friends and family on hot, lazy days -- has become serious business for amateur cooks who want to prove nobody does it better."

bbqdavarrow
08-19-2009, 09:55 AM
does having spectators or cameras qualify something for being a sport?
I have put ESPN sometimes and they are showing something with barely anybody in the stands. Pop warner football, basically just the family watches - so who says you need actual fans/spectators to make it a sport?:confused:

Mo-Dave
08-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Its a sport, I know this because I lose between 10 and 15 lbs each competition and it takes about three days to recuperate. I have always maintained and always will that its a contact sport. Furthermore I think it has the potential to become huge, just name any other sport that you can party on all day and all night and that right there is what levels the playing field.
Dave

C-Town Smoker
08-19-2009, 12:58 PM
There is no doubt that BBQ is a sport...standings change regularly, I can report on new stuff every week...and if golf and bowling are "credible" sports then competition BBQ definitely is a sport!! Now, if we could only do something about the judging!! LOL!!

smoke it if ya got it
08-19-2009, 01:00 PM
A sport for sure. After all somebody has to cook for the competitive eater's and that must be a sport it's on every 4th of July.

SmokeInDaEye
08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
There is no doubt that BBQ is a sport...standings change regularly, I can report on new stuff every week...and if golf and bowling are "credible" sports then competition BBQ definitely is a sport!! Now, if we could only do something about the judging!! LOL!!

Hey, Greg! Welcome to the Brethren family!

Vince RnQ
08-19-2009, 04:25 PM
I say it's a competitive sport. Yes, I'm fat and out of shape but I don't drink when I cook, I spend hours in advance of a contest in preparation and I practice between comps. I get very little sleep and rely on endurance to get me though. And if you want to know what I mean by endurance, try doing a few of the 3 contests in 2 days on a single weekend type events that my team has done this year. We did two such events this year and earned three GCs, one RGC, one 5th Place and one 6th Place Overall finishes in those 6 contests. I don't think I got more than 4 total hours of sleep over those two days of competing so there is a very physical component to consider.

We all have different perspectives on what makes something a sport and, from my POV, competition barbeque is definitely a sport.

Lake Dogs
08-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Well, if it ever does become a spectator sport, I'll take dibs on the Michael Jordan of BBQ. Be Like Mike. :-)

So, what does the finely tuned BBQ Athlete look like?....

*ZAP*

watertowerbbq
08-19-2009, 08:25 PM
I donít believe it will. To be a real sport, you need spectators. I donít think MMA or anyone else will be able to convince the public to pay big bucks to watch us stare at our cookers and drink beer. There just doesnít seem to be much entertainment value to a contest. This is a great hobby, but Iím donít see it becoming a sport.

Can't be a sport if you can't play defense.

MilitantSquatter
08-19-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't consider it a sport.. it's just a contest/competition or leisure activity.

for me - a sport must have both of the following at the highest levels.

1) Athleticism - speed, endurance, strength, reflexes, body control etc. which are needed to peform at top levels.. staying up to tend a pit is not endurance, running a box to judges tent is not speed - especially if you can do it while drinking and/or smoking. John Daly is a great, gifted, skilled golfer - Elite Athlete ? probably not.. Comp BBQ, like golf is not a sport to me - a leisure activity ? Yes... Lawrence Taylor said it best " People go on vacation to play golf, not football". Close for BBQ competitions as well.

2) A definite, objective measure of the performance (ex. score, distance, time, weight etc) not the result of the activity that is subjective. While BBQ comps have a scoring system, it's based on opinion, sometimes by untrained officiators(judges) - Events like X-games (skateboarding, bmx biking)arding,synchronized swimming or diving require much of criteria #1 , but fail at #2 I at least consider those athletic events and the participants are often athletes.. but it's not a sport for me.. same for BBQ.

But my opinion probably sucks to most - especially as I don't consider NASCAR a sport or the drivers, athletes either. :biggrin:

blues_n_cues
08-20-2009, 06:08 AM

hmm.... you must not have food network,history channel,travel channel..etc etc.
check your local cable provider for listings & say i want my bbq.:lol:

blues_n_cues
08-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Well, if it ever does become a spectator sport, I'll take dibs on the Michael Jordan of BBQ. Be Like Mike. :-)

So, what does the finely tuned BBQ Athlete look like?....

*ZAP*

(insert belly shots from the fatash bash here):lol:

ThomEmery
08-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Its a sport if bowling is

mds2
08-20-2009, 07:43 AM
It is an activity or hobby. Seriously, people think it is a sport? Just look at us "athletes "

willkat98
08-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Its a sport if bowling is

Reminds me of an old "is it a sport" quote:

"Can you compete while smoking a cigar?"

This was the old test where bowling and golf would fail.

SmokeInDaEye
08-20-2009, 07:57 AM
It is an activity or hobby. Seriously, people think it is a sport? Just look at us "athletes "

Yep, I'm 6'3" 185 pounds of fine tuned bbq cookin' machine. And again, it's not me saying it's a sport, it's CNN saying it and they are the most trusted name in sports.

Or is that ESPN?

bbq ron
08-20-2009, 07:57 AM
I definitely think it is a sport and if you don't, just try it. it is not as easy as it looks

mds2
08-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Reminds me of an old "is it a sport" quote:

"Can you compete while smoking a cigar?"

This was the old test where bowling and golf would fail.

BBQ goes beyond that..

"Can you sleep while doing it?"

Puts meat in smoker, takes four hour nap. Man this sport is exhilarating.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-20-2009, 08:09 AM
I would not call it a sport, but I would say it is a close as they come to the definition.

Greendriver
08-20-2009, 08:12 AM
It's a SPORT! FoodTV, CNN, and most importantly "I" say it is and "I" know, if you don't believe me just ask me. Chit far guys, anything your competiting against the best in the business for a prize is a SPORT.

SmokeInDaEye
08-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I would not call it a sport, but I would say it is a close as they come to the definition.

A lot closer than a lot of the crap I see in the Olympics. Curling? Bobsledding? Speed walking? It takes a lot more talent and skill to beat the world's best barbecue teams then it does to put on a pair of shoes and walk fast without running.

early mornin' smokin'
08-20-2009, 08:21 AM
if golf is being brought into the olympics, so should bbq!!

Jacked UP BBQ
08-20-2009, 08:26 AM
The only thing BBQ is missing it the physical part of it

SmokeInDaEye
08-20-2009, 08:27 AM
The only thing BBQ is missing it the physical part of it

Comp BBQ requires endurance and that's physical.

if golf is being brought into the olympics, so should bbq!!

And Willie B from team "Queer Eye for the BBQ Guy" should get to march in the opening ceremonies. NTTAWWT.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/gay-pride-parade-fairy.jpg

early mornin' smokin'
08-20-2009, 08:32 AM
physical? 16oz curls, hurling those 15lb briskets into the cooker. Hell some of those spice box's top 800lbs!!! and you say there's nothing physical

Jacked UP BBQ
08-20-2009, 08:43 AM
It's a sport, call the olympic director. Let's get this rocking and rolling. Who are we going to compete against? This is americas cuisine. Maybe france can get Pate' making in the olympics.

SmokeInDaEye
08-20-2009, 09:18 AM
It's a sport, call the olympic director. Let's get this rocking and rolling. Who are we going to compete against? This is americas cuisine. Maybe france can get Pate' making in the olympics.

Debate point 1: Barbecue is not American cuisine, it is global (brazilian churasco, australian barbi, spanish barbecoa, etc). From Wikipedia: "The origins of both the activity of barbecue cooking and the word itself are somewhat obscure. Most etymologists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology) believe that barbecue derives ultimately from the word barbacoa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbacoa) found in the language of the TaŪno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno) people of the Caribbean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean). The word translates as "sacred fire pit."

Debate point 2: In support of point one, why is the Jack called the Jack Daniels World Championship and not American Championship and why are there teams from around the world represented?

Debate point 3: Wasn't baseball in the last Olympics? That is more American than barbecue.

Debate point 4: Why is trampoline (http://en.beijing2008.cn/sports/trampoline/index.shtml) an Olympic sport? This is more of a general WTF question than a debate point.

blues_n_cues
08-20-2009, 09:22 AM
i'm all for synchronized Que'ing in the summer olympics & the spicesled run in the winter.:lol:

Lake Dogs
08-20-2009, 09:45 AM
[quote=MilitantSquatter;1002496]I don't consider it a sport.. it's just a contest/competition or leisure activity.

for me - a sport must have both of the following at the highest levels.

1) Athleticism - speed (how fast can you run to the fire extinguisher), endurance (stay up all night, no sleep, still cook), strength (must lift a whole hog), reflexes (DAMN that's HOT), body control (y'all go over to the other side to pee), etc. which are needed to peform at top levels.. s

2) A definite, objective measure of the performance (ex. score, distance, time, weight etc) not the result of the activity that is subjective. While BBQ comps have a scoring system, it's based on opinion... (yes, but I promise, the top 5 ARE the best, no matter how you get there)

Jacked UP BBQ
08-20-2009, 09:46 AM
If you want to debate we can do that.....

Barbecue - as to what wins a competition is american cuisine. I personally like churasco much better, but it would not win a comp. Tennis is tennis is tennis, no matter what country it is in. The better payer that day wins. Put two great cuisines against each other and lose because one judge likes spicy or sweet better???? I would hate to hear the cries after that.

Jack Daniels - They call it this because if there is one team from spain that wants to compete it makes it sound a lot more prestigious. Would you drive to lynchburg for a bbq comp that was just sponsored by jack daniels??? Make it the world championship and everyone wants to go.

Baseball - maybe played a lot in America and we claim it to be ours like everything else, but look at the majority of players and where they come from, not america. Thats we lose to little islands in the world tournaments.

SmokeInDaEye
08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
If you want to debate we can do that.....

Barbecue - as to what wins a competition is american cuisine. I personally like churasco much better, but it would not win a comp. Tennis is tennis is tennis, no matter what country it is in. The better payer that day wins. Put two great cuisines against each other and lose because one judge likes spicy or sweet better???? I would hate to hear the cries after that.

Jack Daniels - They call it this because if there is one team from spain that wants to compete it makes it sound a lot more prestigious. Would you drive to lynchburg for a bbq comp that was just sponsored by jack daniels??? Make it the world championship and everyone wants to go.

Baseball - maybe played a lot in America and we claim it to be ours like everything else, but look at the majority of players and where they come from, not america. Thats we lose to little islands in the world tournaments.

And your response to trampoline?

While this thread is about whether competition barbecue is a sport (which CNN says it is and Telemundo soon will as well), not whether it should be an Olympic sport, there are a variety of Olympic sports that rely on the subjective opinion of a pool of judges from around the world.

While one judge from Russia may like when the rhythmic gymnasts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythmic_gymnastics) perform with ribbons versus hoops while the Chinese judge loves hoops. Point being, you go with whatever is winning with the majority of judges.

Same thing with foreign basketball teams refining their defensive and offensive strategies to better compete against the early dream teams.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Trampoline takes talent of a person. Gymnastics are what they are, they either have good form or not, they either pull of the landing or take a short hop step and lose a point.

Basketball - what does that have to do with it?? Are talking they should adjust their flavors? Then we would have to make American BBQ the sport.

Alexa RnQ
08-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Y'all have to stop this now before BBQ becomes inextricably linked in my mind with synchronized diving. That would be just sick and wrong. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

SmokeInDaEye
08-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Y'all have to stop this now before BBQ becomes inextricably linked in my mind with synchronized diving. That would be just sick and wrong. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Syncronized BBQ diving. Hmmmmmm....

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/dive.jpg

musicmanryann
08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Syncronized BBQ diving. Hmmmmmm....

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/dive.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

You just spent the last hour photoshopping that, didn't you? Awesome.
LMAO!!!

JD McGee
08-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Will BBQ become a sport?

Nope...

Brew-B-Q
08-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I think the question is what defines a sport. According to Webster, here are some options and my opinion on whether BBQ fits.

a- a source of diversion (recreation) - YES
b- sexual play - GOD NO
c1- physical activity engaged in for pleasure - NO
c2- a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in - NO

So, I guess it is and isn't a sport. My opinion is that it is not a sport when measured against what activities most people consider to be sports....baseball, football, basketball, track & field, etc.

SmokeInDaEye
08-20-2009, 02:43 PM
I think the question is what defines a sport. According to Webster, here are some options and my opinion on whether BBQ fits.

a- a source of diversion (recreation) - YES
b- sexual play - GOD NO
c1- physical activity engaged in for pleasure - NO
c2- a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in - NO

So, I guess it is and isn't a sport. My opinion is that it is not a sport when measured against what activities most people consider to be sports....baseball, football, basketball, track & field, etc.

You don't compete for pleasure?

"Webster's" definition for "sport": a source of diversion, pastime, a physical activity engaged in for pleasure.
I would say this past weekend filled all of the above! So I am sticking with the term.

I agree.

Brew-B-Q
08-20-2009, 02:56 PM
You don't compete for pleasure?

Of course I do. I just don't consider the physical activity to be the main component of competition bbq.

watertowerbbq
08-20-2009, 10:00 PM
BBQ can't be a sport because that would make the cooks the athletes. How many athletes on this site are on high blood pressure or cholesterol medicine? It's not a sport if you're athletes are on these meds. :-D

bbqdavarrow
08-21-2009, 06:32 AM
BBQ can't be a sport because that would make the cooks the athletes. How many athletes on this site are on high blood pressure or cholesterol medicine? It's not a sport if you're athletes are on these meds. :-D
what if two guys are playing one-on-on basketball, both are taking meds, they have a beer with a cigarette on top of the can and ever few minutes take a hit of each - does this mean basketball is not a sport anymore???
As far as BBQ not being physical this past weekend the heat in New Paltz was crazy! I believe Eric couldn't even make the award ceremony because he was so wiped out from competing! I even caught myself saying I have to sit down I feel like I am going to pass out.:redface:
dave- red planet bbq

blues_n_cues
08-21-2009, 06:38 AM
yeah i remember bud & tonto doing a comp in lebanon,tn. a couple years ago when it was 120f outside.it's a demanding sport.

Brew-B-Q
08-21-2009, 08:09 AM
what if two guys are playing one-on-on basketball, both are taking meds, they have a beer with a cigarette on top of the can and ever few minutes take a hit of each - does this mean basketball is not a sport anymore???
As far as BBQ not being physical this past weekend the heat in New Paltz was crazy! I believe Eric couldn't even make the award ceremony because he was so wiped out from competing! I even caught myself saying I have to sit down I feel like I am going to pass out.:redface:
dave- red planet bbq

If you are going to count BBQ as a sport, then the basketball players mentioned above would be similar to a guy doing hot dogs on a gasser in a backyard.

If you sit in a sauna long enough, you'll get tired too. Is that a sport as well?

I'm new to the comp scene, but my opinion is that physical prowess has little if any correlation with winning championships.

Do those of you that consider BBQ a sport consider yourselves athletes because you participate?

blues_n_cues
08-21-2009, 08:29 AM
we'll know it's a true sport when we have a banned substance anti doping policy.:shock:

Jacked UP BBQ
08-21-2009, 08:31 AM
we'll know it's a true sport when we have a banned substance anti doping policy.:shock:

We already banned re heating pork:-?

bbqdavarrow
08-21-2009, 08:46 AM
If you are going to count BBQ as a sport, then the basketball players mentioned above would be similar to a guy doing hot dogs on a gasser in a backyard.

If you sit in a sauna long enough, you'll get tired too. Is that a sport as well?

I'm new to the comp scene, but my opinion is that physical prowess has little if any correlation with winning championships.

Do those of you that consider BBQ a sport consider yourselves athletes because you participate?

The number 1 definition in the Dictionary (noun) is "a source of diversion" #2 uses the word physical activity, - no where do I see the word "athlete" associated with the meaning for sport. (do you have to be an athlete to play horseshoes?)
The prep do get ready to compete is very physical and in very hot weather conditions it takes a toll on your body.
A lot of people associate sports with watching professionals and being athletic, (football, baseball, basketball etc) but taking the literal description of sport "a source of diversion" it a sport for me!:wink:

NorthwestBBQ
08-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Gentlemen,

It is a sport! Look how fast Swamprb (Brian Moriarty) runs to accept his Grand Champion award in Birch Bay! :lol:

http://cdbejg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pXorlqbBRH4mE2QFO99Et2yeJRVyek1TOMw5_3C4SJce773d izcBud1-5bGSDv1lZI_GhB1P1t0BmeNlyIKf3jQ/DSC_0001a%20(288).jpg

http://cdbejg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pnniygohd_lBMVk3Vvc0sZIqgNYffHAifri2FVnAP_VaMYJ9 GUiA85o-7-qwDzH8ovaNoL2VKtNXfDTNwXZWD-A/DSC_0001a%20(289).jpg

http://cdbejg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pvY37PWo2EN_Cv1p21TCKFxEq4Yo5BZHMhtNASSt5vcmqcjI kFVGJj295OWKmeDyFqIRibavsNVCOqG3VT23AfQ/DSC_0001a%20(368).jpg

http://cdbejg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pC9ZERNOEeik0YzuwURlqgsheXdsWXjUj8nradOBcUv_0Na8 tK5mehSwL7EJgq86s-vsWKeFVWqDCr4wEvjAddQ/DSC_0001a%20(369).jpg

:icon_cool

HickoryFlats
08-25-2009, 06:06 AM

I may be on High Blood Pressure medication but I have never been on the disabled list. BBQ is sort of like playing right field. :wink:

Brew-B-Q
08-25-2009, 11:23 AM
The number 1 definition in the Dictionary (noun) is "a source of diversion" #2 uses the word physical activity, - no where do I see the word "athlete" associated with the meaning for sport. (do you have to be an athlete to play horseshoes?)
The prep do get ready to compete is very physical and in very hot weather conditions it takes a toll on your body.
A lot of people associate sports with watching professionals and being athletic, (football, baseball, basketball etc) but taking the literal description of sport "a source of diversion" it a sport for me!:wink:

I agreed that it was a sport using definition #1 in an earlier post.

As for the prep and hot weather taking a toll and therefore making it a physical sport, I'm not buying it. If two teams are competing at the same contest, one has an EZ-UP and one has a 50' RV with AC, is it still a sport for the guy in the AC? I mean, the hot weather isn't taking a toll on him or her, right?

Scottie
08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
If two teams are competing at the same contest, one has an EZ-UP and one has a 50' RV with AC, is it still a sport for the guy in the AC? I mean, the hot weather isn't taking a toll on him or her, right?

It sure does..... I have to drink more to stay rehydrated.... So that takes a toll on me.... :roll: I mean, I also have one of my smokers outside too...

Butcher BBQ
08-25-2009, 01:19 PM
I think it has been a physical sport all along and we just didn't realize it, for example listening to everyone run there mouth about the way judges treat them, jumping to conclusions before the BOD has had a chance to rule on something, or even swim in the sea of sharks when they try to post there ideas on a forum. :roll:

SmokeInDaEye
08-25-2009, 01:38 PM
I think it has been a physical sport all along and we just didn't realize it, for example listening to everyone run there mouth about the way judges treat them, jumping to conclusions before the BOD has had a chance to rule on something, or even swim in the sea of sharks when they try to post there ideas on a forum. :roll:

Don't forget the time I threw out my shoulder while stirring the sh*t here.

Podge
08-25-2009, 03:47 PM
BBQ is as much a sport as Beauty Pagents are.

GratefulSmoker
08-25-2009, 05:17 PM

Now that right there is funny! :lol:

Butcher BBQ
08-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Don't forget the time I threw out my shoulder while stirring the sh*t here.

You.. I can't believe that.:eek: