PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of being a KCBS member (Question)

River City Smokehouse
01-22-2008, 10:39 AM
1. What are the benefits of being a KCBS member?

2. Why are you a member?

Ashmont
01-22-2008, 10:49 AM
1. What are the benefits of being a KCBS member?

2. Why are you a member?

Was when I took the CBJ Judging class but never renewed dues. Just kept forgetting.

YankeeBBQ
01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
The Bullsheet every month
An organization with standardized rules for bbq competitions
An organization that trains judges and reps for competitions
Team of the year recognition

I originally joined just to get the Bullsheet and I continue to be a member for the Bullsheet and to have a say(vote) in how this organization is run. I also believe to be considered a KCBS certified Judge you need to maintain your membership.

Nitrofly
01-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Everything Steve said

Plus need to keep my membership
so I can stay a CBJ

Dale P
01-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I feel that if im going to play in the club, I should be a member. As for benefits, I dont know yet, but I feel good that I finally joined. JMHO.

scottyd
01-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I am a paid member since 03 what the others said, do you really get anything back.

I think so. The thrill of victory and the agoney fo defeat. Friends whom you would have never met with out competing. 35.00 a year, a paper, and friends. yeah it is worth it.

I will spend more than that on a round at the bar for people I don't like!!

tonto1117
01-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Same reasons as Steve, Sully and Dale stated.

And of course the hotel dicount........:razz::lol:

Ford
01-22-2008, 11:41 AM

I originally joined just to get the Bullsheet and I continue to be a member for the Bullsheet and to have a say(vote) in how this organization is run. I also believe to be considered a KCBS certified Judge you need to maintain your membership.
I also joined just for the Bullsheet. As I found out more about sanctioning cotnests I decided it was worth continuing to support. Today with all the web based contest lists, etc you don't need a bullsheet or to join but if you compete you should and if you're a CBJ you must to maintain certification.

And I also voted so it gives me the right to bitch about what the BOD does or doesn't do.

Ford
01-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Same reasons as Steve, Sully and Dale stated.

And of course the hotel dicount........:razz::lol:
What's this hotel discount I'm hearing about? Guess I missed that announcement. Of course I have so many free nights I can't use them up this year if I tried so maybe I saw it and said so what. And I hear you can do better on Orbitz.

watg?
01-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I too, like reading the Bullsheet. Can I ask a question here, does the KCBS collect a fee or a percentage from the contest organizers? in other words, does the contest have to pay to be considered sanctioned and have KCBS reps and judges?

timzcardz
01-22-2008, 12:11 PM
FWIW, I asked a very similar question a while back and there were some interesting answers at that time.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21985

Some are even more interesting reading them now.

motoeric
01-22-2008, 12:45 PM
I too, like reading the Bullsheet. Can I ask a question here, does the KCBS collect a fee or a percentage from the contest organizers? in other words, does the contest have to pay to be considered sanctioned and have KCBS reps and judges?

The KCBS requires a sanctioning fee, a per competitor fee and a fee for entries beyond the basic 4 (that their reps are involved in, if it's something like chili after hours and they aren't involved, there is no additional fee).

They also require that you pay the expenses of the KCBS reps that attend the event.

All of which I believe is very reasonable.

Eric

BBQchef33
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
KCBS has a sanctioning fee of $300(up to 50 teams) plus 12$ per team, and travel expenses for the reps. Over 50 teams has a higher fee i believe.

it can all be found in the sanctioning packet on the KCBS Website.

DawgPhan
01-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Considering that the sanctioning fees are paid by all teams as part of their entry fee can you really list sanctioning contests as a benefit of being a KCBS memeber? dont non members help support the sanctioning and also benfit from it? I guess they dont have to be excludsive benefits though...

Jeff_in_KC
01-22-2008, 01:06 PM
I only keep my membership in KCBS because chicks dig it.

IMO, it mainly comes down to ensuring the integrity of a contest. I like the TOY race although I've yet to be in it for much more than a half year. I like the Bullsheet even though I know I can get most of that info online these days.

As for the hotel discounts and other foolish crap MMA is coming up with, that's a waste of time! Lots of organizations have hotel discounts plus there's AAA, Traveler's Advantage and the Entertainment Coupon book (which I have all three). I don't need no stinkin' hotel discount.

motoeric
01-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Considering that the sanctioning fees are paid by all teams as part of their entry fee can you really list sanctioning contests as a benefit of being a KCBS memeber? dont non members help support the sanctioning and also benfit from it? I guess they dont have to be excludsive benefits though...

I'm not sure where you are coming up with that assumption. At the Battle of the BBQ Brethren 100% of the entry fees went back to the teams as prizes. Not one penny went towards expenses of any sort. Maybe that's an anomaly, but I wouldn't assume that your entry covers that sanctioning fee.

Eric

KC_Bobby
01-22-2008, 01:38 PM
I agree the benefits of being a KCBS member are for BBQ itself. For $35 is year, I'm not even expecting a coupon book. I want my funds to ensure that the KCBS remains true to its original intent, allowing everyone to be part of it.

I joined because I became a competitor and I felt it was in a barbequer's best interest to join.

DawgPhan
01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
seems like 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other...non member teams pay into a pool of money that is used for expense or prizes for everyone at an event.

But regardless of how that comp spent its money the funds for KCBS to sanction an event arent coming from dues, but rather the sanctioning fees.

DawgPhan
01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh and we shouldnt even be having this conversation. Considering that MMA is a marketing agency they should have a nice list of benefits to membership, especially when you consider that they are getting a portion of the membership dues. Saying there is a hotel discount isnt enough...there should be a nice long list of benefits if you want someone to sign up. We shouldnt be trying to figure it out, KCBS should already know...

timzcardz
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM
The benefits are listed right on the kcbs website ...

http://www.kcbs.us/discount_program.php

timzcardz
01-22-2008, 02:13 PM
seems like 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other...non member teams pay into a pool of money that is used for expense or prizes for everyone at an event.

But regardless of how that comp spent its money the funds for KCBS to sanction an event arent coming from dues, but rather the sanctioning fees.

Actually, sanctioning fees appear to be a money maker for KCBS, so they are in effect helping to keep dues down.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=533204#post533204

As are judging classes.

Ford
01-22-2008, 02:22 PM
For 2007 there were about 8000 members so at $35 each that's $280,000 in revenue. Now expenses go against that such as the bullsheet, mailings, etc. But it looks like majority of revenue is from dues unless the KCBS pulled in more than half a mil in 2007. Not sure from an income standpoint. And there's a lot more paid advertsiing in the bullsheet now than in 2004.

But sanctioning fees make money for the KCBS. The judging class revenue has to be carefully evaluated. Is the membership fee part of dues or part of judging revenue. If it's a one time payment then judging but if it's recurring (hopefully) then it's dues. It's easy to move numbers around on a balance sheet and show what people want to show. Need to know what's behind them.

Wizards of 'Que
01-22-2008, 02:35 PM
The Bullsheet is great for charcoal chimney fuel. :lol:

tony76248
01-22-2008, 02:57 PM
I think they should make the bullsheet available online and save the postage.

Ford
01-22-2008, 03:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Give members the option with a small mailing fee for a paper copy.

DawgPhan
01-22-2008, 03:13 PM

If it was online who would they blame for the late arrivals...the internet?

just kidding....

Scottie
01-22-2008, 03:18 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Give members the option with a small mailing fee for a paper copy.

I think there should be a members only section anyway on the KCBS website. Where they have back issues of the Bullsheet available for download or viewing. A members only section is only a positive for KCBS... Heck they could even have a Forum, for people to comment or add suggestions. That would sure save certain board emembers and MMA people from having to lurk on our current forums to get the pulse of what the members are thinking. Instead of just assuming what we are thinking...

But, I am only a single vote.

Transformer BBQ
01-22-2008, 03:42 PM
I believe I read that $18 of each members dues goes towards the bullsheet... printing, mailing...

smoke-n-my-i's
01-22-2008, 03:45 PM
The Bullsheet is great for charcoal chimney fuel. :lol:

And for looking for cookers for sale... check out all of them ads.... In my opinion, the BullSheet is really a waste of good newspaper. Like I already saw posted, all the info in it is on line, except for the new members and maybe a few other small items. So since I use a burner to start my charcoal, it just goes to the landfill taking up space until it rots down, most of the time not even opened.

Motel discount???? Don't use them....

smoke-n-my-i's
01-22-2008, 03:46 PM
I think there should be a members only section anyway on the KCBS website. Where they have back issues of the Bullsheet available for download or viewing. A members only section is only a positive for KCBS... Heck they could even have a Forum, for people to comment or add suggestions. That would sure save certain board emembers and MMA people from having to lurk on our current forums to get the pulse of what the members are thinking. Instead of just assuming what we are thinking...

But, I am only a single vote.

From what I was told when I called in my renewal, that a members only section is coming soon....

River City Smokehouse
01-22-2008, 04:01 PM

The only thing I personally see here is you can get a discount at a hotel. Who really cares. I can get the same discount already because I have a CDL (truckers rate). Heck, some already get a AARP discount. Call it a KCBS member discount, call it a discount for having blue eyes. That to me is silly. As of yet I havent seen a REAL benefit for being a KCBS member except for the fact of being able to vote and getting a newspaper.

Scottie
01-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Well, it has officially been 2 banquets that they were making all of those annoucements of MMA joing the KCBS team. I would of thought they could of gotten a members only section up and running in that amount of time. But, I also have no knowledge of websites, so I can't really say. But it would seem like an easy task for log-ins and such. I mean, why air all of this dirty laundry for all to see, when it could be done in the confines of our own KCBS website. As they are wanting KCBS to grow, I do not know how negative publicity or talk is any good.

Scottie

smoke-n-my-i's
01-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot one more important benefit....if you want to call it that. :mrgreen:

Do a search for a comp now... you will see the same one listed a minimum of 2-3 times.... WOW, you can do the same event multiple times. Does that mean if you get GC, you win multiple times as well??? :eek:

slat
01-22-2008, 09:51 PM
The thing I like about the discounts is how they are cloaked. Discount on entry fees. Where. Not really a discount it's more like a you won't get penalized. What about the becoming a CBJ. Where's the discount. They just aren't charging you for something you have already paid for. WOW what a great discount.

scottyd
01-23-2008, 07:38 AM
The thing I like about the discounts is how they are cloaked. Discount on entry fees. Where. Not really a discount it's more like a you won't get penalized. What about the becoming a CBJ. Where's the discount. They just aren't charging you for something you have already paid for. WOW what a great discount.

Yep you saw right through that smoke screen. we all know there is more but I am trying to be positive.

Scotty d

timzcardz
01-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by timzcardz http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=542708#post542708)

The only thing I personally see here is you can get a discount at a hotel. Who really cares. I can get the same discount already because I have a CDL (truckers rate). Heck, some already get a AARP discount. Call it a KCBS member discount, call it a discount for having blue eyes. That to me is silly. As of yet I havent seen a REAL benefit for being a KCBS member except for the fact of being able to vote and getting a newspaper.

My unstated, and I thought self-evident point was that this is the only page on KCBS' site where they make reference to benefits of being a member. "Check back often, as we will be adding more benefits in the coming months."

In short, they do a poor job of selling themselves, and this is after they have a PR firm on board.

I have looked for a reason to join and to date have not found one. In fact, if you go to join, the last thing at the bottom of the online form is "I promise to faithfully uphold the tenets for a Barbeque fanatic. I will cook and/or eat as much barbeque as the law allows, while having as much fun as possible."

Aside from being childish and ridiculous, it begs the question, is KCBS about quantity, or quality?

Why doesn't it read something along the lines of "I promise to faithfully uphold the tenets for a Barbeque fanatic. I will strive to improve the quality of my barbeque and share my knowedge and experience with others, while having fun doing so."

KC_Bobby
01-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Well, it has officially been 2 banquets that they were making all of those annoucements of MMA joing the KCBS team. I would of thought they could of gotten a members only section up and running in that amount of time. But, I also have no knowledge of websites, so I can't really say. But it would seem like an easy task for log-ins and such. I mean, why air all of this dirty laundry for all to see, when it could be done in the confines of our own KCBS website. As they are wanting KCBS to grow, I do not know how negative publicity or talk is any good.

Scottie

Of course not, it's taking a back seat to tasks/ideas that are profitable for MMA.

Changing topics, am I really in the minority that I don't feel the need for benefits to being a member? $35 only buys so much, and my naive self likes to think of the $35 as a small donation to help ensure our society's future remains enjoyable to all the members.

$35 minus the mentioned 19% for MMA leaves $28.35, subtract the Bullsheet cost of $18 and it leaves $10.35 in the KCBS account. Currently no one's getting rich off of the current dues.

Which brings up the fear - how many members is MMA going to try to get in order to make their 19% a source of revenue? Then we concern ourselves with quantity rather than quality and the membership turns into a revolving door. Then the same issues get brought up year after year after year and the engine idles without going anywhere. Scary thought.

nancee
01-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I am not bitchin about the $35 and I wish I knew about the silly discount before I came back from the royal, jack and btb.

I DO wish as the judging training/certifying organization, they could do a better job of standardizing judging(scoring) in all parts of the country
nancee

arlieque
01-23-2008, 11:35 PM
KCBS website should have had a members only section from day one. After all they have had time to build websites for other members and were paid dearly for it. Also they are charing I was told $2000 to run a ad banner there compared to $90 on the other forum. Now I know all of you guys want to run an ad for your contest and to sell sauce there too, Right?

ThomEmery
01-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Would make sense to have a members only section
Yea those banners are high dollar
Rays probably reach just as many if not more

BBQchef33
01-24-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm with KC_bobby.. why do we need/expect "benefits"? i see it as part of the cost of the hobby.

I been somewhat baffled by a lot of the chatter regarding both the $35 dues(and the $25 discount/fee for non kcbs members to compete, *different thread*).

my kids a boyscout. I pay 50 bucks a year for him to be 'A boyscout'. Then, I buy his uniform, and I pay for every camp out. Everything beyond the 50$ dues is ala carte and the cost runs up. And for the 50$ dues, he gets Boyslife magazine once a month. As a committee member and active parent in the BSA, In 4 years, I never heard anyone question the Dues.

I belonged to an RC race club. $25 dues. I got nothing, but knowing it supported the club to help maintain the track, the computer and transponders, etc.. no magazine.. nothing.

I belong to LI Off Road Association. $75 dues.. Nothing, but the invitation to go offroading with other 4 wheelers and an occasional email newsletter. Same for fishing clubs, gun clubs, tennis clubs.... EVERY CLUB has dues.

So KCBS has dues. We pay it and get the bull sheet. For now, they offer some discounts at some hotel chain that IF you use it once, may make up the 35$. They want to discount contests by 25$ for KCBS members.. yes, that IS an incentive for people to sign up, I know it worked for me 4 years ago when a contest charged 25 bucks more for non kcbs members and they were NOT even sanctioned. Some people look at it as a penalty, surcharge.. call it whatever.. but the bottom line is KCBS is not doing anything that most other member driven organizations dont do.

My point is.. WHY the flap? Its not intended in this initial question in this thread, but others are running that spark the same questions.

Its 35 bucks..... 2 briskets cost more.

Scottie
01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I have no problem paying the $35. I will come out and sayt hey should charge us $50, if it means we can get a "members Only" section....

I have other problems. Or maybe not problems, but being able to see clearly...

KC_Bobby
01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
What would all be in the members only section?

Unless it's personal membership information, a forum where members add input/information - why wouldn't it be open to the public?

I'm just saying we need to clarify the needs for MMA in order for them understand our wants. (Many already mentioned throught this thread and others - maybe we need a list of them)

butts a fire
01-24-2008, 12:05 PM
I have to say I agree completely with Poobah and Bob I do not expect anything in return for my $35 bucks, I am happy with the Bullsheet but it is not the reason I joined although it does work good for starting a chimney. I joined because I started competing and wanted to be a member of the sanctioning society just to say I am a member is enough for me. It takes money to do what they do and I am glad to help support what they have done and are currently doing.

Mo-Dave
01-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Ok I don't mined the 35.00 for the Bullsheet and membership, I think thats fair. But having said that I don't know why suppliers of bbq related items or just about any other items that could make life a little easier, could not be approached by KCBS in an effort to give members some sort of break.

This would only be a benefit to all concerned. Our new marketing agency could really play a big part in getting new memberships, with this approach.

Anyone who has received any junk mail from say AARP can see that is what they do the best and how they attempt to drum up new members.

Hey if I use my old Bullsheets to light up my pit will it guaranty better BBQ? :rolleyes:
Dave

acorette
01-24-2008, 02:36 PM
What would all be in the members only section?

I could care less about a KCBS members only section. This forum is all the "members only" section I need.

I do like being a KCBS member, not really concerned about getting much more out of it than that. Isn't anyone proud to be a member of a sanctioning body like KCBS? It's THE bbq group to be affiliated with. Things like Bullsheet and any discounts are gravy. Those (or other fiancial incentives) shouldn't be the reason for being a member.