PDA

View Full Version : 4 KC Area Contests on September 19-20

Plowboy
01-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Leap year is screwing with some contests this year. We have four contests within 30 minutes of each other on the same weekend:

Kearney, MO
Pleasant Valley, MO
Independence, MO
Mission, KS

Park City, KS is the same weekend as well.

Sucks!! I wanted to go back to both Kearney and Pleasant Valley. They were back to back weekends in 2007.

SP
01-20-2008, 08:18 PM
BBQ getting too big for it britches. That crazy 4 contest within a hundred miles on the same weekend.

KC_Bobby
01-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Are they all sanctioned?

Plowboy
01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
BBQ getting too big for it britches. That crazy 4 contest within a hundred miles on the same weekend.

Less than 100. Pleasant Valley, Independence, and Kearney are within 15 minutes of each other.

Most of these contests are associated with other celebrations like Kearney contest and the Jesse James festival. Many times, the contest doesn't have a choice.

Plowboy
01-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Are they all sanctioned?

All on KCBS Web Site... and State Championships.

There could be a non-sanctioned contest that same weekend in Grain Valley, MO. There was last year.

Leap year is screwing with many contest dates this year.

KC_Bobby
01-20-2008, 08:34 PM
We're penciling ourselves in to do one that weekend. Sounds like a good weekend to pick the one no one goes to. :biggrin:

Just Smokin' Around
01-20-2008, 10:13 PM
It's a shame to see this happen. When the comp is part of a bigger event, there's not much you can do about it. As the sport grows, I think it'll become an even bigger problem. It may cause some to go under if there aren't enough teams to participate. I wish some of the organizer would talk to each other before selecting their dates.

Why is leap year the cause of all this?

Plowboy
01-20-2008, 10:22 PM
It's a shame to see this happen. When the comp is part of a bigger event, there's not much you can do about it. As the sport grows, I think it'll become an even bigger problem. It may cause some to go under if there aren't enough teams to participate. I wish some of the organizer would talk to each other before selecting their dates.

Why is leap year the cause of all this?

Some contests try to stick to the same weekends of the month each year: first, second, third, fourth. Others try to get close to the same dates. Seems like the extra day is throwing things off. There are a few contests that are now colliding this year.

pigpen269
01-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I just got on the KCBS site and found that Independence is not missouri. It's Independence, Iowa.

Plowboy
01-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Oops. Thanks.

scottyd
01-21-2008, 07:51 AM
There is always alot of them in KC area that weekend and the week eairler also I think there is 3 of them with in 40 min each. It sure would be nice to live in that area just to turn left or right and go to a contest, where I have to travel at least 400 miles plus just to complain. hahahaa anyway cook them all.

Plowboy
01-21-2008, 07:54 AM
There is always alot of them in KC area that weekend and the week eairler also I think there is 3 of them with in 40 min each. It sure would be nice to live in that area just to turn left or right and go to a contest, where I have to travel at least 400 miles plus just to complain. hahahaa anyway cook them all.

Well, it does make Atchison available for me the weekend before. :rolleyes: Get to play with my friends. :biggrin:

scottyd
01-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Very true, I however will not be returning to Atchison, too far. but the sweet potato fries at the bar with cinn sugar very nice.

lazyjacres
01-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Less than 100. Pleasant Valley, Independence, and Kearney are within 15 minutes of each other.

Most of these contests are associated with other celebrations like Kearney contest and the Jesse James festival. Many times, the contest doesn't have a choice.

I thought KCBS dictated that you can't have 2 contests within 50 miles of each other on the same date?
I'm pretty sure that one of the reps told me that..............

Plowboy
01-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I thought KCBS dictated that you can't have 2 contests within 50 miles of each other on the same date?

Kearney, MO and Pleasant Valley, MO are 13.2 miles apart. Normally, they'd be on back to back weekends. However, the contests are driven by local festivals and not just independent contests. Again I suspect that leap year has thrown things off where one celebration goes by approximate date and the other goes by the 3rd weekend of Sept.

Anyway, the contest is at the mercy of the community celebration. I'm betting that things are back to normal next year. Just disappointing this year because of wanting to do cook both.

scottyd
01-21-2008, 06:56 PM
No No No last year they had all those with in 35 or 40 miles of each other also, you remember you got your grand that weekend, and we got ribbons in Atchinson and mission was the same weekend and one other. all in the triangle of less than 50 miles apart.

so yes maybe next year someone will get it figured out. VERY FUNNY

Plowboy
01-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Kearney to Atchison - 56 Miles
Mission to Atchison - 49 miles
Mission to Kearney - 36 miles

Pleasant Valley to Mission - 20 miles
Pleasant Valley to Kearney - 13 miles

scottyd
01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Kearney to Atchison - 56 Miles
Mission to Atchison - 49 miles
Mission to Kearney - 36 miles

Pleasant Valley to Mission - 20 miles
Pleasant Valley to Kearney - 13 miles

Still to close, one over the 50 mile gentleman's rule.

I think that this went out with the lets make more cash rule for the KCBS sanctioning.

Neal
01-21-2008, 11:22 PM

I believe they threw the 50 mile rule out the window a few years ago.

The contest that used to be in Liberty, MO was the same weekend as Shawnee (in Sept). The first few years (maybe one or two), the Liberty contest operated as an unsanctioned event because of that rule. In 2005 they were sanctioned - partly because Shawnee fills up every year with close to or more than 100 teams - with some teams still wanting to cook. The year we did Liberty in 05 there were 30+ teams and the next year I think they had over 40. Not sure why the contest is no longer going, but that proves you can have multiple contests on the same weekend.

I don't think it's about making more money - I am glad the rule was abolished. It allows a greater selection of standardized contesting. You know that no matter where you go, the same general things are expected. It is unfortunate that you sometimes have to pick one good event over another that is just as good, but at the end of the day that only pushes the organizers to put on a better event and attract good, upstanding teams who appreciate well run events.

Plowboy
01-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I believe they threw the 50 mile rule out the window a few years ago.

The contest that used to be in Liberty, MO was the same weekend as Shawnee (in Sept). The first few years (maybe one or two), the Liberty contest operated as an unsanctioned event because of that rule. In 2005 they were sanctioned - partly because Shawnee fills up every year with close to or more than 100 teams - with some teams still wanting to cook. The year we did Liberty in 05 there were 30+ teams and the next year I think they had over 40. Not sure why the contest is no longer going, but that proves you can have multiple contests on the same weekend.

I don't think it's about making more money - I am glad the rule was abolished. It allows a greater selection of standardized contesting. You know that no matter where you go, the same general things are expected. It is unfortunate that you sometimes have to pick one good event over another that is just as good, but at the end of the day that only pushes the organizers to put on a better event and attract good, upstanding teams who appreciate well run events.

We were RGC that first year you cooked Liberty. Something happened last year and it got canceled at the last minute. Pleasant Valley jumped in that weekend thanks to Dean Green.

scottyd
01-22-2008, 06:06 AM
I still think it's a push for cash for the KCBS sanctioning. There is a lot of other weekends that don't have a contest or that many that close. spread them out. may be they would get more then 30 teams at some of these. you get 4 contests that close take the weekend we went to Atchinson all those contests were just hoping to get to 25 teams. I think 1 got to 40 teams the rest were right at 25 to 27 teams.

Just my small opinion. which really means nothing but I made a round trip of 1000+ miles for a pay out of top 3 in each chicken, ribs, pork, and brisket. with 3.50 fuel I can't make that trip again.

Plowboy
01-22-2008, 07:27 AM
I still think it's a push for cash for the KCBS sanctioning. There is a lot of other weekends that don't have a contest or that many that close. spread them out. may be they would get more then 30 teams at some of these. you get 4 contests that close take the weekend we went to Atchinson all those contests were just hoping to get to 25 teams. I think 1 got to 40 teams the rest were right at 25 to 27 teams.

Just my small opinion. which really means nothing but I made a round trip of 1000+ miles for a pay out of top 3 in each chicken, ribs, pork, and brisket. with 3.50 fuel I can't make that trip again.

Kearney had 45-48 teams. A lot of area teams went to Arkansas for the big payout that weekend.

scottyd
01-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Kearney had 45-48 teams. A lot of area teams went to Arkansas for the big payout that weekend.

Todd let me know where your going that weekend I'll go there that way we can have some fun.

scottyd
01-22-2008, 08:10 AM
[quote=Neal;542320]I believe they threw the 50 mile rule out the window a few years ago.

It does not matter, I just want to see my friends and have some good ole times. Maybe pick up some fuel cash. No big deal. I will still travel as I like to compete and see the people.

Neal
01-22-2008, 08:40 AM
It does not matter, I just want to see my friends and have some good ole times. Maybe pick up some fuel cash. No big deal. I will still travel as I like to compete and see the people.

I agree Scotty. Always good to see you at a contest (and get some jerky).

Although I wouldn't blame KCBS for contests that happen on the same weekend. As Todd mentioned, some contests take place in conjunction with other community events. Who is KCBS to say that they won't sanction a contest unless the organizer moves the date?

On the flip side of that, some organizers just plain don't seem to do their home work - or they are just arrogant and think teams will show up to their event. I did a contest in Grandview, MO two years ago and it was the same weekend as the big OK Joe's cookoff at the KS Speedway. We had 12 teams at the contest I was at and the organizer was all ticked because he said KCBS "screwed, glued and tattoed" (exact quote) him by scheduling a bigger, better event the same weekend. Had he been smart enough to look at the schedule, he would have seen that they were the same weekend and he could have chose to go forward with his event or move it.

KCBS is there to offer a standard - not babysit incompetent planners.

Plowboy
01-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Todd let me know where your going that weekend I'll go there that way we can have some fun.

Maybe we could cook a comp together, Scott. :rolleyes:

scottyd
01-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Now that is a possibility, I think that would be really fun and exciting.

Maybe we could cook a comp together, Scott. :rolleyes:

scottyd
01-22-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree Scotty. Always good to see you at a contest (and get some jerky).

Although I wouldn't blame KCBS for contests that happen on the same weekend. As Todd mentioned, some contests take place in conjunction with other community events. Who is KCBS to say that they won't sanction a contest unless the organizer moves the date?

On the flip side of that, some organizers just plain don't seem to do their home work - or they are just arrogant and think teams will show up to their event. I did a contest in Grandview, MO two years ago and it was the same weekend as the big OK Joe's cookoff at the KS Speedway. We had 12 teams at the contest I was at and the organizer was all ticked because he said KCBS "screwed, glued and tattoed" (exact quote) him by scheduling a bigger, better event the same weekend. Had he been smart enough to look at the schedule, he would have seen that they were the same weekend and he could have chose to go forward with his event or move it.

KCBS is there to offer a standard - not babysit incompetent planners.

Yeah your right I was a little hard on the KCBS. They got big shoulders and can take a little ribbing. In reallity we are all there for fun and we do tucked away in our minds want to win. Fun First. at least for me. give me a few ribbons and I am happy. No ribbons and I am still happy. any day cooking is just as good. Hey at least I am not at the office!

By the way it was really good to see you Dodge smokers at the banquet wish we would have talked more. Next time throw me in the corner so I don't wonder off.

Plowboy
01-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Now that is a possibility, I think that would be really fun and exciting.

Randy is going to be limited to probably the GAB, Qlossal, and Royal. Andy and I might hook up for a few comps. We are talking. Maybe a Nebraska comp?

scottyd
01-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Randy is going to be limited to probably the GAB, Qlossal, and Royal. Andy and I might hook up for a few comps. We are talking. Maybe a Nebraska comp?

That might work in Nebraska or Something around KC we are going to do one or so down that way other than the Royal The Dark Side of the Moon and I have become friends. We will have to put something together. Maybe Council Bluffs Iowa?? there is a lot to choose from.

Neal
01-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Fun First. at least for me. give me a few ribbons and I am happy. No ribbons and I am still happy. any day cooking is just as good. Hey at least I am not at the office!
I know that's right! You always are having fun when I see you...That moment at the Royal when you picked up the number on the floor and held it for a picture was one of my favorite things from that whole weekend.

Good to see you too. We left a little early after having along day before we ever got to the awards...Chris picked a great day to move: coldest day of the year!!!

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
01-22-2008, 11:25 AM

Rivercity Roundup September 26th and 27th in Downtown Omaha...:) Shall I send you the application now guys???? :-P We will make a Brethren Row!!!

scottyd
01-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Rivercity Roundup September 26th and 27th in Downtown Omaha...:) Shall I send you the application now guys???? :-P We will make a Brethren Row!!!

Char
Let me find out when HOBO Days are in Brookings, if the weekend is clear we will be there anyway.

Scotty D

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
01-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Char
Let me find out when HOBO Days are in Brookings, if the weekend is clear we will be there anyway.

Scotty D

The fancy internet says October 4th....uh oh there goes The Royal this year. (But yea! Ill pencil you in...)

scottyd
01-22-2008, 12:38 PM
The fancy internet says October 4th....uh oh there goes The Royal this year. (But yea! Ill pencil you in...)

You are right about that, there goes the Royal, But I think the Royal will win out over the HOBO"S

So pencil me in for your comp.

jminion
01-22-2008, 05:18 PM
The 50 mile rule went away a few years ago, it is now based on the pool of teams in a given area. So if you have 3 contests on the same weekend in MO (where there are plenty of teams) then it is up to the organizer to make the contest one teams want to attend. This going to get worse as time goes on, many new contests each year and we have only so many weekends.

KCBS can't assure a contest a great draw only that will be officated in a standardized method. We do contact the organizers and try to explain what they are up against but it is the up to each contest to offer the cooks what they are looking for so the attendence is what the organizer needs.

scottyd
01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
The 50 mile rule went away a few years ago, it is now based on the pool of teams in a given area. So if you have 3 contests on the same weekend in MO (where there are plenty of teams) then it is up to the organizer to make the contest one teams want to attend. This going to get worse as time goes on, many new contests each year and we have only so many weekends.

KCBS can't assure a contest a great draw only that will be officated in a standardized method. We do contact the organizers and try to explain what they are up against but it is the up to each contest to offer the cooks what they are looking for so the attendence is what the organizer needs.

very well said Jim thanks for explaining that 50 mile deal. I had thought that but sometimes you just never know.

thanks again

Jaberwabee
01-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Well if anyone is thinking of doing the Park City, KS one let me know I will be there. Park City is really just north Wichita. I would love to see some Brethren.