PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Election Vote Did you vote?

Merl
01-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Did you vote in the 2008 KCBS election. If you did, why did you vote. If you did not vote, why not?

We had almost 25% of the members vote. The election company says anything above 15% is good. We exceeded many of the primary election rates for president of the United States.

Merl

bbqbull
01-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Yes I voted.
I payed my dues and got reregistered to vote for some new blood on the KCBS BOD's.
Im not trying to slight any of the present directors, just would love to see some different ideas brought to the forefront.
Guess im totally frustrated with the way things have been in the past.
Ive been a member of KCBS since the year 2000.

ThomEmery
01-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Yep I voted

Butcher BBQ
01-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Yes I voted. I always have said you can't complain if you didn't vote. So now I have the right to voice my thoughts.

MilitantSquatter
01-20-2008, 08:05 PM
I voted...

Reason : wanted to elect members I believed would have the best interests of the avg. member at heart.

Only one of my four choices were elected.

Plowboy
01-20-2008, 08:21 PM
I voted a straight ticket: Brethren Baby!!!!!

KC_Bobby
01-20-2008, 08:29 PM
I voted based on:
1) their thoughts in the Bullsheet
2) who I've had discussions with and thought would lead us well
3) who I wanted to see make quality decisions for this organization

Two of the four I voted for are now on the board, two are not.

MrSmoker
01-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Yes i Voted, only 50% successful. :sad:

Jeff_in_KC
01-20-2008, 09:01 PM
2 of mine got on the board as well. And I think there should have been another choice... who voted for a full slate of four?

ThomEmery
01-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Voted for two

Pig Headed
01-20-2008, 09:21 PM
I voted, but only 1 of my 4 canidates got voted in.

Westexbbq
01-20-2008, 09:52 PM
You bet I voted.
If you're not part of the solution,
you're part of the problem.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-20-2008, 09:56 PM
I did not vote. Never got an email, signed onto the KCBS page on 2 occasions and asked for an email to be sent. It said one was sent both times. Never got it and frankly I gave up trying.

Maybe others had the same problem? Just my 2 cents.

nthole
01-20-2008, 10:01 PM
I voted.

I based my vote solely on who's living room I've slept in.

Just Smokin' Around
01-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I voted for 4 people and tried to select folks I thought would be good for the organization and maybe bring some new blood and new ideas to the organization. Seems I ended up like many - 2 of my 4 made it. I also voted because "you can't bitch if you don't vote".

I wonder how many folks had a problem like Dan. I read of a couple of others not getting their voting email. Hopefully, his was just a one off issue.

StLouQue
01-21-2008, 12:28 AM
I voted because I'm new to the KCBS. I suspect it takes years for enthusiasm to be displaced by apathy.

Poob, let's get some Vote Phil '09 t-shirts printed up. I'll wear mine to every competition I attend this year.

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
01-21-2008, 07:01 AM
I voted..and I sent emails to all the last summer CBJ class graduates (we hosted)...encouraging them to do so as well, I think if they got more involved (beyond joining to keep a valid CBJ #) you could bump that number to closer to 40%

ThomEmery
01-21-2008, 07:57 AM
I voted for 4 people and tried to select folks I thought would be good for the organization and maybe bring some new blood and new ideas to the organization. Seems I ended up like many - 2 of my 4 made it. I also voted because "you can't bitch if you don't vote".

I wonder how many folks had a problem like Dan. I read of a couple of others not getting their voting email. Hopefully, his was just a one off issue.

I did have a problem
but they fixed the problem for me

watg?
01-21-2008, 08:07 AM
I voted because I think it is the right thing to do. I also never miss general election here at home. I would bet that the majority of people here and in attendance at the dinner also voted, because, folks that are involved ,generally participate.

You will always have a large percentage of any group as non participants. They will join and do nothing, either because of available time, lack of experience and or motivation. They will hang around and wait for someone else to get it done. It is the same thing in hunting clubs, PTA, or social groups; it is always up to "somebody" to get it done. Do me a favor, if you know who “somebody” is, send me his phone numbers, I have a few tree stands on our hunting lease that need to be repaired before next season.

Unfortunately, that’s the way it is, 10% of the membership does 90% of the work. The percentage of voters in the election, in my opinion, is about what you can expect from a group this size, it may even be slightly above average. I am a new guy here, but I think the bottom line is, forums like this and others, are a great place to vent and suggest ideas for change. I would bet that the board members and decision makers also read these forums, whether they post or not, they are reading.

I also think you are doing the right thing by letting the leaders hear your concerns anytime you can, e mail, letter, phone or in person. You have to let them know what you think, without your input, they can always say, “I haven’t heard that concern before.” Now, I am not advocating an e-mail bombardment of the board, I am merely saying, let your voices be heard. The two things I have learned in my years as a contract negotiator for our labor group with the County Government,
#1- the squeaky wheel gets the oil
#2- progress is a slow process.

CharlieBeasley
01-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Sorry Phil Phil in 09 this is the second year I thought this and said nothing but for the record. I voted once and only once and for only one candidate. My reason is two fold first I know Phil and he is the kind of leader that KCBS must have to keep a level head and remember where we come from (others may be as good but I Know Phil) second if two people vote one for Phil and one for otherperson and the other votes or otherperson and anotheranother person Phil is down one vote. Phil you got my vote and unless something very strange happens you will get my vote next year. From other post it is already apparent we need your leadership. Thanks for the Brethren and God Speed next year.

Sawdustguy
01-21-2008, 08:37 AM
I voted because I think we need some representation outside of Kansas City and to keep the board from being nepotistic. The board needs to have more representatives from outside of the Midwest sphere of influence.

SP
01-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Voted as soon as I got it.

widespread
01-21-2008, 08:45 AM
I voted for four candidates, all cooks. One made it.

ThomEmery
01-21-2008, 08:46 AM
I wonder how many Brethren are Members of the KCBS
Got to reach a wider group and CBJs at that.

michiana mark
01-21-2008, 08:48 AM
I voted because it's the American thing to do. Democracy in action.

Big Mike
01-21-2008, 09:55 AM
I voted. This is my first year as a KCBS member. I only knew one of the folks running personally, and that was just a short meeting at a competition. The statements made in the Bullsheet and comments made by folks on different forums were what I used to base my vote on. I also searched the forums for conversations the candidates participated in to try and get an idea of who they were.

In the end, 1 of the 3 I voted for made it.

Ford
01-21-2008, 09:58 AM
I wonder how many Brethren are Members of the KCBS
Got to reach a wider group and CBJs at that.
Well it's probably safe to say less than 497 because all of us voted for Phil. Id' say if we wanted to know a poll on Qtalk may be more appropriate.

Plowboy
01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I voted because it's the American thing to do. Democracy in action.

Didn't the Greeks invent democracy? :biggrin: Glad you voted.

Plowboy
01-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Well it's probably safe to say less than 497 because all of us voted for Phil. Id' say if we wanted to know a poll on Qtalk may be more appropriate.

If we find out there are 498, then someone needs beyotch slapped!!!

Divemaster
01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
I voted as soon as I got the email

HoDeDo
01-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Kim and I voted. Heck I even tried to vote twice, for the bbq midget that lives in my belly too :)

BBQchef33
01-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Kim and I voted. Heck I even tried to vote twice, for the bbq midget that lives in my belly too :)

LIAR!!!

That ain't NO MIDGET!.

He be full sized and full grown. :cool::tongue:NTTAWWT.

ModelMaker
01-21-2008, 02:20 PM
I kept tryin to vote for that Andy guy... Wouldn't stick though, kept kickin it back.
ModelMaker
of the other three I voted for, one won.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-21-2008, 04:22 PM
NOPE.... my membership had expired, and when I did renew, I was told that I would not be able to.... I tried.....

scottyd
01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Yes I voted

PigBoy
01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I voted for the Brethren!

tonto1117
01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Yep. Two voter's in this household...

Roo-B-Q'N
01-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Yep I voted. But after hearing some of the BOD's, not sure it really matters.

we'll smoke u
01-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I didn't vote.
But I joined KCBS so I could vote but it was to late. Now that i'm a member I willl stay in good standing for nexted year.

River City Smokehouse
01-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I voted!

Solidkick
01-21-2008, 05:34 PM
The wife and I both voted, with 3 of the 4 canidates that we voted for being elected. We have put out faith in them to do what is best for KCBS in 2008.

Puppyboy
01-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I voted. Why did I vote? Because I am a dues paying member who loves BBQ.

lunchlady
01-22-2008, 07:04 AM
I voted and one of the two I voted for got in.

scottyd
01-22-2008, 08:13 AM
My wife and I have a family membership when it came time to vote we only got one number to vote under. How does that work, we pay the family dues we should get 2 votes.

Ford
01-22-2008, 11:56 AM
My wife and I have a family membership when it came time to vote we only got one number to vote under. How does that work, we pay the family dues we should get 2 votes.
Does the office have both your email addresses? If not just update the records. You should get 2 votes.

Solidkick
01-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Does the office have both your email addresses? If not jsut update the records. You should get 2 votes.

Ours actually came to the same email address, just one addressed to Teresa and one to me.

Nitrofly
01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I voted 50% got elected not bad..
This might be posted somewhere else
how many members does KCBS have?

Rockaway BeachBQ
01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
My wife and I never received emails to vote at either of our addresses. And I kept procrastinating contacting KCBS to straighten it out. I assume this requires a phone call to fix or can it be fixed online? I have received follow up emails from Jerry Mullane after I took the CBJ class but never anything from the KCBS.

lunchlady
01-23-2008, 02:46 PM
FYI... Jerry and Linda keep their own e-mail lists from CBJ classes. Separate, I think, from KCBS's info.

I renewed and upgraded my membership at the same time, but the upgrade missed the deadline so only I got the e-mail, not my man - so he didn't vote.

nancee
01-23-2008, 07:03 PM
you do, we had to contact him by email to get the two invites to vote. He was VERY accessible and prompt with responses; kudos to Don. Much higher than my expectations...course it didn't break the KC lock but we tried...
nancee

ZBQ
01-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Yep, I voted for the Poohbster.

Better luck next time Phil!
We need you on the BoD!!

CTSmokehouse
01-23-2008, 10:07 PM
I voted... my canditates did not get elected, but they gave their positions and would represent us well... yes, I voted and hope that they will apply again next year...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff :) !!

tonto1117
01-24-2008, 04:52 AM
Ours actually came to the same email address, just one addressed to Teresa and one to me.

Same here. Both to one e-mail address.

Rookie'48
01-24-2008, 08:45 PM
I voted so that I have the right to beotch when I want to. If you don't vote, then don't beotch about what happens in the club, city, county, etc, etc. Just my $0.02. YMMV

JohnMcD348
01-24-2008, 09:32 PM
No, Becuase I'm an idiot. I let my membership lapse. I hadn't realized it had lapsed until I tried to vote. I immediately renewed the next day or so but I wasn't allowed to vote. So next tiem I'll know better and keep a closer eye on my membership date.

Sledneck
01-25-2008, 06:41 PM
MY .02....To all that voted good for you! From what i understood a guy by the name of Phil Rizzardi was running. From what i understand that same Phil Rizzardi lost. This is the same Phil Rizzardi that created this site isn't it? A place where everybody comes for free?? A place where you can get advice on any topic whether it be food , your front lawn, whatever and get many responses within minutes. A place some come to relax, blow off steam , for some get psychological help .... Share good experiences as well as tragedies. A place that creates friendships. A place to promote events and products. Phil does this without asking, taking away precious time from his family. Knowing all of this you would figure what the hell would be the big deal about ponying up a measly $35 to join the KCBS and cast a vote for him. Well it didn't happen and its a shame. It is not a requirement to join KCBS or any other organization to be a part of this site but it would of been a nice gesture and a very smart one with concern to the KCBS and its future. But it didn't happen and y'all still have a place to come and bitch about the KCBS as well as many other things. Good job