PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown (Economy, Contests, Sponsorship)

Mo-Dave
01-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Not sure this is the right place to post this so feel free to move it if necessary. I posted this on another forum as well.

Are you cutting back or not competing at all, due to the economy, gas, food, canceled contest in on your schedules ect. Are you doing anything different to lower cost this year, how so?

What are organizers main reasons for canceling? Loss of sponsors, not enough response from teams, cost to profit ratio low, just to much work, ect.

Hope these questions have not already been asked recently. Could get a better response in a poll formate maybe, rather then being asked hear by me.
Dave

Mod edit: edited title

Ford
01-20-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm not cutting back. Actually plan to do more this year. But I am not bringing the motorhome anymore. That's partly because we want to sell it and partly because the truck is a lot more fuel efficient towing the trailer and it's a lot easier to drive. A couple of windy days left me real tired last year.

Solidkick
01-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Let me start out by saying..."what a difference a year makes!" Last year, the members of our team, either collectively or as individuals, cooked 7 contests.
As it sits as of now, I only know of 3 contests we plan to cook this year. I'd love to do more, but I personally don't have the extra money this year. I still love contests, and love seeing my friends, so I may have to do more judging this year.

Jeff_in_KC
01-20-2008, 02:30 PM
We're cutting back from 15 in 2007 to around seven contests in 2008. That COULD be due to finances if the job situation worsens but the original thought was that we've used nearly all of our vacation time the last two years for BBQ. Although our daughter loves going and loves competing in Kids Q events, there are other things that parents should be doing to make a seven year old girl's life enjoyable, including a possible Disneyland trip in the summer. I think I owe time outside of BBQ to my family this year.

MilitantSquatter
01-20-2008, 02:38 PM
I plan to make some changes just not sure which ones. My reasoning for competing is changing a bit. I love to compete and I love cooking, but I don't think I would be majorly dissappointed if I did a few less contests this year. I will still enjoy myself, see some Brethren on the road and give it a good effort. A lot also depends on if I'm footing the whole bill or plan to team up with some others. That would take some of the burden off. Maybe judge 1-2 instead of cook them. I've also got a trip to Disneyworld scheduled in August which isn't cheap but I know my daugher will have a blast and that's worth more to me than cooking a contest.

1) Cut down the # of contests : Did 6 last year. May just go to 3-5 now . KCBS TOY qualifying now goes out to 10 contests instead of 5. It was nice knowing I at least had a fighting chance with the best 5. I have no desire, time or cash to do 10+ contests a year and still maintain a family life on weekends during spring/summer. This one change would more than offset any differences in gas. I've typically set a 250 mile one way limit.

2) Cut down on meat qtys : Typically did 2 butts/briskets each, 6 racks of ribs and 24+ chicken pieces. I've considered going to 1 brisket, two butts (come in twin pack), 4 racks of ribs and 15-18 chicken pieces. I'll take my chances. Same for garnish.

3) Avoid miscellaneous categories - not worth the extra cash & effort IMO. Rather spend the time socializing wth other team, relaxing or focusing on the KCBS categories.

4) Consider dropping FAB products : While I've done well using them, I just don't think the extra cash is necessarily worth it.

While all of the above may sound nice, it's very easy for me to say in the dead of winter. There's a good chance that some of my thoughts will change as the season approaches and I get excited about the first contest. Right now it's 20 degrees outside and contest preparation is not at the forefront.. We'll see..

Good luck to all for any planning changes you plan to make.

KC_Bobby
01-20-2008, 03:24 PM
If gas does go near $4 a gallon, I'm going to have to cut down. We're planning on hitting the Iowa circuit this summer and it's already costing me $90 round trip just to Des Moines without a loaded truck.

Mo-Dave
01-20-2008, 03:59 PM
If gas does go near $4 a gallon, I'm going to have to cut down. We're planning on hitting the Iowa circuit this summer and it's already costing me $90 round trip just to Des Moines without a loaded truck.

Well gas is only one equation, by itself not a big factor. But all cost have grown disproportionately this year causing some sober rethinking on my part, at least for this year.
Dave

Mo-Dave
01-20-2008, 04:07 PM
What Vinny said.
While all of the above may sound nice, it's very easy for me to say in the dead of winter. There's a good chance that some of my thoughts will change as the season approaches and I get excited about the first contest. Right now it's 20 degrees outside and contest preparation is not at the forefront.. We'll see..
__________________________________________________ ______________________

I never payed any attention to points I just don't do enough to worry about that and I don't do well enough to worry about it. But I am glad I bought my Lg Sw last year, now all I got to do is pay it off.:wink::wink:
Dave

Plowboy
01-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Though I think we'll cut back from 18 contests last year, we'll cook the same or more KCBS contests. I'm hoping for 12-14 contests this year. Really just cutting out the non-sanctioned contests.

Mo-Dave
01-20-2008, 04:12 PM
[quote=Solidkick;541297]Let me start out by saying..."what a difference a year makes!" Last year, the members of our team, either collectively or as individuals, cooked 7 contests.
As it sits as of now, I only know of 3 contests we plan to cook this year. I'd love to do more, but I personally don't have the extra money this year. I still love contests, and love seeing my friends, so I may have to do more judging this year.[/quote

I predict a very large CBJ pool this year. This could be the year I get real close to my MCBJ. So its the glass half full thing for me:icon_bigsmil
Dave

scottyd
01-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Jeff you should just take the whole year off! That Disneyland or Disneyworld trip will be the cost of 8 to 10 contests. but the memories will last a life time. Good luck in the near future.

We're cutting back from 15 in 2007 to around seven contests in 2008. That COULD be due to finances if the job situation worsens but the original thought was that we've used nearly all of our vacation time the last two years for BBQ. Although our daughter loves going and loves competing in Kids Q events, there are other things that parents should be doing to make a seven year old girl's life enjoyable, including a possible Disneyland trip in the summer. I think I owe time outside of BBQ to my family this year.

12 to 14 you might as well do them all. You got the MOJO going on, why slow down your roll. Tilt that baby and add a few more and come to Huron as you are well aware Win here and it is a straight shot to the JACK!!!!!

Though I think we'll cut back from 18 contests last year, we'll cook the same or more KCBS contests. I'm hoping for 12-14 contests this year. Really just cutting out the non-sanctioned contests.

Plowboy
01-20-2008, 06:50 PM
12 to 14 you might as well do them all. You got the MOJO going on, why slow down your roll. Tilt that baby and add a few more and come to Huron as you are well aware Win here and it is a straight shot to the JACK!!!!!

Didn't realize that I was on a roll, but that explains the butter on my butt. :wink:

Podge
01-20-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm not going to change really. I plan on still doing 8-9 contests and focus on the ones i really like and where my buds will be at. I just want to have a good time.:icon_clown

Plowboy
01-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Scott, sorry to burst your bubble, but KCBS web site shows a contest September 6 in Vermillion, SD.

we'll smoke u
01-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Scott, sorry to burst your bubble, but KCBS web site shows a contest September 6 in Vermillion, SD.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that this week end he was in such a good mood.

Just Smokin' Around
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
We plan on doing 5 of the ones we did last year that are in-state or near by. I wouldn't mind adding a couple more, but it would make for a fairly busy schedule from late July to early Sept. and that would be difficlut for the teammate. We'll see. Like Podge said, we do this for fun and want to have a good time. I think if you try and do too much, you lose some of the fun.

G$
01-21-2008, 09:01 AM
What Vinny said.

What Dave said. :smile:

less money, less contests, less stuff, and i better stick to it.

Big Mike
01-21-2008, 09:45 AM
I did 4 last year and I will be doing 4 or 5 this year.

Dale P
01-21-2008, 10:18 AM
We hope to cook at least 6 this year, but I dont know where. Madison and Owensboro for sure. The search continues.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-21-2008, 10:32 AM
I will probably do about the same, bought some new cookers so its kinda hard to turn back now. I am hoping that my sponsers stay in place this year. Meat at cost saves me a lot of money and if I dont have to pay a few entry fees I will probably do 4 or maybe even 5 this year.

widespread
01-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Hope to do the same ones we did last year plus Salisbury and Belair if schedule allows. Money's not a limiting factor at this time, time and schedule are.

Sawdustguy
01-21-2008, 12:26 PM
We cook as many contests a we can afford and our personal schedules allows. We don't depend on sponsors but we have had a few people sponsor us for a specific event. We don't want to be pressured to do a specific number of events or a specific number of sponsors. That would take the fun out of it for us. We compete when we can and the rest falls into place.

butts a fire
01-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Right now we are planning on doing 4 this year which is the same as the last two years, But the contests them selves have changed either because the contest is no longer going (Ok Joes) or because it is out in BFE (Laurie Mo.).

I actually would have liked to add more this year but it is going to be a busy year for us (Buying a new house, Having a Baby) so the Family comes frist and contests second.

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
01-22-2008, 12:40 PM
We did 5 last year (our first year). Nebraska has added 2 new sanctioned contests (North Platte and Lincoln) so we have to add those....plus we want to play with some brethern so are looking at adding the 2 South Dakota contests (Huron and Vermillion).. thats 9. Were also the Organizers for RiverCity Roundup (we want 50 teams this year) and Tom wants to judge at least 5. Busy summer!!!!

scottyd
01-22-2008, 12:45 PM

But my friend that is after the draw for the Jack this year. so no bubble is burst.

scottyd
01-22-2008, 12:49 PM
I didn't have the heart to tell him that this week end he was in such a good mood.

Yes but you see my good friend vermillion is after the Jack draw so that will be the following year 2009 there will be 2 draws for south dakota not 2008 so I am still happy.

now get your planning done and lets go to Dickinson ND also that is to for the Jack Draw in 2009

Bigmista
01-22-2008, 01:08 PM
We find that how many contest we do depends a lot on how much we win. If we can win enough to cover another entry fee, we will probably add another contest. Our entry fees are split between our team members so it's not as much of a strain on any one person. And since each team member only buys one meat, it makes easier to do more contests.

That being said, I think we will do between 7 and 9 contests this year.

tony76248
01-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I think I did 13 last year. I will probably do about the same this year. I have a new job now where i don't work weekends, so perhaps I will do even more. I try not to travel too far from home and since there are so many contests within 100 miles, i could almost compete every weekend. Also, I try not to compete too much when it is really hot here in TX so I will load up in the Spring and in the Fall. Of course the cookoffs we compete in are much less expensive than the folks further north. My most expensive entry fee will probably be $125 plus one cooked brisket. Most will probably be about $75. Then of course there is the price of the meat which is about $50 per event. One good finish almost pays for the competition as long as we don't drink too much....ummmm...well that will be tough to minimize.

Mitchelina
01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
We're aiming for 10, all local.

Timmy is doing one in CO with his big brother (who lives in Aurora and is dying to compete) and maybe going out to that frozen insanity in Great Bend, mostly to drink and hang with a CO team his brother knows.

We're planning on judging 2.

We've always cooked with 1 brisket, 1 butt, 2-3 slabs ribs and the king size pack of chicken. Maybe this keeps us from winning more often, I don't know. It just makes winning all the sweeter!

barbedQ
01-22-2008, 10:03 PM
We did 4 last year and we'll probably do 4 again this year, just not the same ones. The only event I know we'll keep doing every year is Durango in July. It's quite the haul from Tempe but the weather is awesome and by mixing in a week of camping/fishing we've gotten to the point that this is the trip we look forward to the most.

Entry fees for sanctioned events are going to determine the other events we do. This region is growing fast but the fees are starting to get a bit out of hand for our little hobby team. We may end up doing a bunch of non-sanctioned events to scratch the itch and leave the more expensive events to the teams that have the cash.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-23-2008, 05:27 PM
We managed to only squeeze in 2 last year due to work scheduling. I am in hopes to do a few more this year. I am working on the schedule now, and have 3 for sure penciled in that I want to do. I am sure a few more might pop up as the year goes on.

Since we are self supporting, we are thinking of teaming up with another team, we have been talking about it for most of last year, and split the expenses and squeeze in a few extra that way. After doing a few by myself, as he will too, we will do maybe 2 together under my name, and 2 under his name. We have a meeting planned in Feb, and will finalize the details then.