PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't the KCBS use online polls?

Ford
01-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I just emailed the following to all of our existing BOD. Reading some of the rule change questions they could get feedback from members to help make decisions. If you think this is a good idea please email at least one BOD member with your comments.

"Has the KCBS considered using members only polls for rule changes, etc? I see them on many online Forums and itís a great way to provide feedback Kind of like voting. Now voting would also work but thereís probably a significant cost to that rather than polls. As long as the poll require the member to log on using their number then it could be limited to one vote. I think the BOD could gain valuable feedback from members to help shape decisions."

The_Kapn
01-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Polls would make the KCBS subject to being run by the masses and not the elected BOD.
Same reason the US is not a democracy, but a republic.

When folks answer one question, they are not thinking of anything else.
Side effects and unintended results are a real possibility.

In theory, an elected BOD would weigh all the ramifications before making decisions. This is not done with direct voting.

Polls invariably foster a "herd instinct".

Polls are available at several forums if the BOD wants to look at them.

On-line polls are never considered as valid because of the lack of statistical analysis and such.
If polls are to be considered informative, have a nationally recognized polling firm conduct a SCIENTIFIC poll, not some on-line emotional one.

Did I mention that I do not think the BOD should be in the polling business.

I "vote" to leave well enough alone and let our elected BOD take care of business.

TIM

Greendriver
01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Kapn your view on this seems very well thought out and I would have to agree with ya.

Ford
01-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Polls would make the KCBS subject to being run by the masses and not the elected BOD.
Same reason the US is not a democracy, but a republic.

When folks answer one question, they are not thinking of anything else.
Side effects and unintended results are a real possibility.

In theory, an elected BOD would weigh all the ramifications before making decisions. This is not done with direct voting.

Polls invariably foster a "herd instinct".

Polls are available at several forums if the BOD wants to look at them.

On-line polls are never considered as valid because of the lack of statistical analysis and such.
If polls are to be considered informative, have a nationally recognized polling firm conduct a SCIENTIFIC poll, not some on-line emotional one.

Did I mention that I do not think the BOD should be in the polling business.

I "vote" to leave well enough alone and let our elected BOD take care of business.

TIM
I'm suggesting that a poll gives the BOD some idea of what the membership in general is thinking on issues. I am in no way suggesting that we make anything binding from a poll or online vote it's just 2 ways fo getting information on issues.

It's also a way to let the membership know what's being considered at the Rules meeting so they can have time to send in comments. As the last day for comments to the Rules meeting was a couple of weeks ago and we see the agenda today how can we comment on it.

CharlieBeasley
01-18-2008, 09:42 AM
I am in the middle on this I like the idea of having a say but I understand it would mean doing a non-biased survey (which most of us have a hard time doing. The questions will sway the opinion. It would be a great deal of work for someone trained in surveys and cost money to do it correctly! My 2 cents

The_Kapn
01-18-2008, 09:52 AM
A "poll" could or would put the BOD in an untenable position on some purely emotional issues.

There was a recent poll elsewhere about the never-ending "ban everything but stick burner" crap.
Results were like 51-49% to ban a lot of pits.
So, does the BOD go "against" the "will of the members"????

I do not want my BOD members having to explain why they made the decisions that they made just because some vocal members rallied "for" or "against" some issue.

I vote for the BOD members that I trust to make the "best decision for all of KCBS", not to respond to unscientific on-line polls.

BTW, my brother got his PhD last year. A lot of the work was centered on surveying (polling) and I helped with all of that to include his dissertation. There is a firm body of procedures for creating a valid poll, to include the careful wording of questions and the establishment of "control questions and items".
Those proceedures are not followed in ad-hoc on line polls. Not even close.

JMHO.

I gotta go work on some butts, briskets, canadian bacon, pastrami, fatties, and venison jerky.
Y'all have fun with this one :lol:

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
01-18-2008, 10:21 AM
As someone involved in government, my opinion is that elected officials are there to serve the interests of their constituency and as such, their vote on most issues should not necessarily be what THEY consider correct but rather what the general consensus is of the people they represent. That being said, I believe having as much information as possible about how the membership at large feels about these issues would be a good thing.

Ford
01-18-2008, 10:30 AM
They are already considering a members only area on the website and surveys for members. Nice to hear.

Scottie
01-18-2008, 10:30 AM
So should we elect from regions then?

Scottie

stlgreg
01-18-2008, 07:36 PM
I saw your post on another site and I agree with what Fast Eddy said - Most KCBS members are judges.

So if it is a members only poll. A majority of the votes will come from judges - I dont see how that can be a good idea. What percentage of judges have entered a contest?