PDA

View Full Version : Grilling Contest Items

BigBarry
01-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Folks,

Jim McGrath from the Merrimack, NH contest asked that I put this up to get some feedback on grilling items for contests. Please add anything you feel would be good to the thread.

Thanks!

ihbobry
01-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Kabobs
Mushrooms

What happened to your list ? Ahh now it's a poll.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-17-2008, 03:31 PM
I voted for burgers, think of the possibilities........salmon,beef,pork,spam......um mmmmm spam burgers......

Transformer BBQ
01-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Barry, what are you looking for... things we like? or more ideas...

BigBarry
01-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Barry, what are you looking for... things we like? or more ideas...

Jim emailed the Merrimack competitors asking them for input on favorites/new categories.

I offered to poll it for him here.

BBQchef33
01-17-2008, 03:41 PM
burgers are alot of fun. I was at a comp that the burger was 'open', you can do what you wanted as long as you added NO other meats,poultry,fish,seafood, crustacean, etc.

Open faced or bunned and can be served in a box or plated. The entries were crazy.!

CritterCook
01-17-2008, 04:47 PM
I think the pizza possibilities are pretty much endless.

ThomEmery
01-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Tri Tip is wonderful for Grill Contests

big brother smoke
01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
kebobs

Wine & Swine
01-17-2008, 06:52 PM
I think the Iron Chef should be one. It allows you to get food vendor/sponsors to suppply the ingredient and affords the most on the spot creativity (and possible disasters!).

Kevin
01-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I think the Iron Chef should be one. It allows you to get food vendor/sponsors to suppply the ingredient and affords the most on the spot creativity (and possible disasters!).

I like that.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I did one and it wasnt like the food network show. you didnt have to highlite the items just use them, If it followed the food net. show guide lines I would love to do it again. BUT when given corn,fish and sweet potatos and you turn in scallops,lobster and shrimp "salad", it really isnt the same as what I think of as the Iron Chef!!not sure if they even used what they were given. I think the Iron Chef should be one. It allows you to get food vendor/sponsors to suppply the ingredient and affords the most on the spot creativity (and possible disasters!).

Smokin Diablo
01-17-2008, 08:18 PM
:biggrin: Rocky Mountain Oysters!

Muzzlebrake
01-18-2008, 07:54 AM
is shrimp fish?
:biggrin:

seriously, I really like doing steak, and fish (even though I am not really good at the fish,..... yet) and one of my faves on the grill is lamb so I am always goign to vote for that.

burgers could be cool but I could see where there could be so many variables that it may be a major headache for an organizer.....just thinking how the hell am I getting 6 of those in the box? lol

sausage is cool but IMO turns into more of a sausage making contest than really a grilling thing

BigBarry
01-18-2008, 10:53 AM
I would be psyched about burgers. I think it's up to the team to know how big to make them to fit and I feel they should be served naked, no bun.

Pizza sounds really cool, too. Slices or personal rounds.

Keep up the input!

Lakeside Smoker
01-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Pizza sounds really cool, too. Slices or personal rounds.

Last year in Maine the organizer supplied small pizza boxes for our pizza turn in. That was a fun category.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/10thplace.jpg

Q Haven
01-18-2008, 03:02 PM
For the record, I was lucky enough to try a piece of that pizza above and it was awesome....

bbqbull
01-18-2008, 05:05 PM
I would love to do a gasser contest with burgers.
I agree supply each team w/items like peppers, onions ect.

Muzzlebrake
01-18-2008, 07:11 PM
For the record, I was lucky enough to try a piece of that pizza above and it was awesome....

as good as I am sure it was I don't like the pizza idea. I just think that when you do that its a pizza comp not grilling comp.

I like the one ingredient categories better.

Brauma
01-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I plan on doing my signature pork loin for my first Anything Butt comp.

Transformer BBQ
01-18-2008, 09:56 PM
I am not a fan of sausage... I think its too wide open... ends up sort of being "Meat" rather than a specific type of sausage. NEBS has an event with Fattie as a category... I like this... I thin it narrows things down with allowing some wiggle room for teams to be creative.

The pizza category is actually great, lots of awesome pizza done in smokers and on webers... etc. People always talk about the "famous woodfired pizza place" they go to... this is the same thing. It is grilling, very careful timing actually... I think you could argue that pizza not cooked in this environment is not authentic... but that's a disscusion for pizzabrethern.com

pigmaker23
01-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes but did you get to eat a 1st place pizza ?

Q Haven
01-18-2008, 10:29 PM

Nope....looks good though.

Transformer BBQ
01-19-2008, 08:34 AM

I had to settle for a second place one...

SmokeInDaEye
01-20-2008, 08:19 PM
I like them all except desserts.