PDA

View Full Version : New Michigan Contest (8/15-16)

Ford
01-15-2008, 01:30 PM
I see on the KCBS website that there is a new contest in Mt Morris (near Flint) on 8/15 and 8/16. So far no details at all as I just emailed the organizer. And so far no proclamation. Still if they get moving on that it sounds like a winner.

Hope the GLBBQA gets talking with them soon.

Podge
01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
That'll be a tough one to fill up.. Madison, In. is the same weekend... but then again, i don't think it would break my heart to see All Day Smoke to stay in Michigan. (kidding guys, i look very much forward to seeing you all again on the road !!)

Spydermike72
01-15-2008, 01:46 PM
All ready have spoken to them Ford, about 2 weeks ago. That one is about 10 miles from my house :)

Bbq Bubba
01-15-2008, 01:46 PM
I see on the KCBS website that there is a new contest in Mt Morris (near Flint) on 8/15 and 8/16. So far no details at all as I just emailed the organizer. And so far no proclamation. Still if they get moving on that it sounds like a winner.

Hope the GLBBQA gets talking with them soon.

Already doing so Ford, Mike will post something as soon as he hear's more!!

Ford
01-15-2008, 02:15 PM
That'll be a tough one to fill up.. Madison, In. is the same weekend... but then again, i don't think it would break my heart to see All Day Smoke to stay in Michigan. (kidding guys, i look very much forward to seeing you all again on the road !!)
It will probably draw 20+ teams from the Detroit/Toledo area alone. Also some Ohio folks probably. And it will probably be 20 F cooler :biggrin:

Spydermike72
01-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Hey Podge,

It wouldnt hurt my feelings either!! Just kidding ... I've got a long way to go to worry about Jim!!!

Podge
01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
It will probably draw 20+ teams from the Detroit/Toledo area alone. Also some Ohio folks probably. And it will probably be 20 F cooler :biggrin:

well, then it ought to be pretty successful !.. so, you're not coming to Madison then i'd assume ?

Ford
01-15-2008, 03:06 PM
well, then it ought to be pretty successful !.. so, you're not coming to Madison then i'd assume ?
We haven't been there since the hot humid 2005 contest. It was fun but a long drive and too humid. I can do hot but humid like that was a killer. Remember the inside of the motorhome windows fogged up and we had the AC set at about 78.

Scottie
01-15-2008, 03:09 PM
I think I'm going to Michigan too....

Bbq Bubba
01-15-2008, 03:13 PM

There goes the neighborhood!.........:eek::mrgreen:

scottyd
01-15-2008, 03:38 PM
I have never been to Michigan, maybe it's time.

Spydermike72
01-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Cool, it will be great to see you again Scottie!!

Ulcer Acres
01-16-2008, 06:17 AM
I agree Scottyd, I have never done a Michigian contest and it cant be any further for me than Madison,IN

Scottie
01-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Us Michigan cooks, will welcome you.. Might even give you a little GJ as well...

Scottie

tonto1117
01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Us Michigan cooks, will welcome you.. Might even give you a little GJ as well...

Scottie

ynuk,ynuk,ynuk....allways the wiseguy, eh??? LOL:tongue:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2532/stoogedu3.jpg

Scottie
01-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Just trying to get some field filler up here... Plus, I know he has a killer breakfast and my kids just adore his wife and his dogs. He also always has a bottle of GJ in his freezer as well. And if all else fails, I have a partner to drink vodka/lemonades... :roll:

michiana mark
01-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Hum another MI contest. Good I won't have to pay all those tolls in IN and IL. I can just give the extra change to BBQ Bubbas favorite charity. "Save the Barrels"

tonto1117
01-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Just trying to get some field filler up here... Plus, I know he has a killer breakfast and my kids just adore his wife and his dogs. He also always has a bottle of GJ in his freezer as well. And if all else fails, I have a partner to drink vodka/lemonades... :roll:

I'd be happy to help you out with the vodka/lemonades...:wink:. As far as the GJ, Walt doesn't leave home without it.......should have seen him at Lamb's Farm last year when it was the one thing we forgot......finally found a store a few miles down the road, pulled in with the coach (small parking lot) and it was funnier than chit watching him try to manuver it out of there!!!:lol:

Bbq Bubba
01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Hum another MI contest. Good I won't have to pay all those tolls in IN and IL. I can just give the extra change to BBQ Bubbas favorite charity. "Save the Barrels"

And you won't have to drive outta state to pick-up your trophie's .......:cool:

michiana mark
01-16-2008, 10:22 PM
And you won't have to drive outta state to pick-up your trophie's .......:cool:

Ya I got stopped at the MI border, and was thourghly questioned about them. Especially the one I stole right out of your grasp.:rolleyes:

Spydermike72
01-17-2008, 05:40 AM
Just an update, Myself and a few members of the BOD of the GLBBQA are setting a date for a meeting with the contest organizers, hopefully I will have some more info in a week or so as I try and coordinate everyones schedule.

tonto1117
01-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Ya I got stopped at the MI border, and was thourghly questioned about them. Especially the one I stole right out of your grasp.:rolleyes:

OUCH.....:!::!::!::mrgreen:..:wink:

Spydermike72
01-17-2008, 12:58 PM
OK the meeting is scheduled for this weekend, anything that you guys want me to bring up in particular ?

Scottie
01-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Limit it to teams that cooked a Michigan contest last year? Would that be asking too much? ;-)

Ford
01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
OK the meeting is scheduled for this weekend, anything that you guys want me to bring up in particular ?
They need to get the Governor's proclamation or it will be a hard sell for a lot of teams. Sooner is better there. Dependable power is a must. Early check in, vehicles moving around during the day at the fair - need access and egress after the contest. How much space do they have?

Cockeye_BBQ
01-18-2008, 11:13 AM
We'd drive up and choose this one over Madison. 20x30 spots, power, and a proc. from the Guv would be a no-brainer.

Plus it's been a couple years since we've been to Miss-again.

OH................IO :)

Spydermike72
01-30-2008, 06:06 AM
OK, Bruce M met with them and so far it looks like 30x30 spots with power and water. We are going to begin meeting with them on a regular basis to help with the needs of the cooks and their teams. We will begin working on the Gov's proclamation ASAP. As I get more details I will update.

Sorry for the delay in getting back, between being sick and new job I have not been able to hang out here as much as I want !!!

sfisch
01-30-2008, 05:10 PM
So it is the 15th and 16th! Guess I'll be in town after all.
Hopefully we can help these people pull it off,

Scott

Ford
02-09-2008, 03:33 PM
They have a governors proclamation now. Just got an email from the organizer.

Spydermike72
02-09-2008, 04:18 PM
You beat me to the punch Ford!!

Bbq Bubba
02-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Thank's for the head's up !!
Look very forward to this one! :biggrin:

Spydermike72
02-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Met wit the organizers, they are very nice people and are really going to try and make this a Cooker Friendly event.

Some of the highlights of the event and the meeting are:

30x30 spaces for all, if you can fit it in your space you can bring it!!

Water will be available

Limited Electrcity right now, they are going to see how many teams sign up.

Coffee and Donut breakfast

Seperate entrance/exit for cookers

Cookers may be able to "drop off" trailers Thursday evening if desired. Early arrival Friday Morning (7-8:00am)

ICE will be available on sight

Plenty of Porta Potties and fixed bathrooms will be on sight, as well as regulary scheduled cleanings.

Possibly 4-5 parking passes per team (admission to the fair is free this year, but parking is $5.00).

Plenty of Garbage receptacles and hot ash cans

There is an RV park on site that will be available to the cookers and family and is only $10.00 per day. (If you want to have more than can fit in your space)

There will be several Blues acts as well. Mostly local groups that have done very well in the Blues world (I am a huge Blues fan). Cannot comment on who until they get them signed.

If you have any other questions that I can get answered for you please let me know. The organizers are committed to making this a very good first year event, and looking to bigger and better for next year!!

Scottie
02-13-2008, 09:37 AM
What if you need a bigger space...

tonto1117
02-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Sounds great Mike. Thanks to you and Bruce for working hard to make this a good one.:wink:

Spydermike72
02-13-2008, 10:35 AM
What if you need a bigger space...

I would contact the organizers, they will have plenty of space and I am sure they can accomodate that. I am not involved in the pricing aspect so I would not be able to help you there...

Do you need more than 30x30 ?? Is it all of those trophies ?? :lol:

Scottie
02-13-2008, 10:52 AM
My rv is 31' and I need extra room off the back for my ramp to get my smoker off. I don't bring my trophies... They are too big... :wink:

Scottie

tonto1117
02-13-2008, 10:59 AM
My rv is 31' and I need extra room off the back for my ramp to get my smoker off. I don't bring my trophies... They are too big... :wink:

Scottie

Scottie, I talked with the organizer this morning. Our coach is 37'. Paying an extra $10 bucks.

Scottie
02-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Sweet.

Spydermike72
02-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Scottie

ROFLMAO, That is a good one, plus it is true!! Are you going to be able to make it to this one Scottie ?

Spydermike72
02-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Scottie, I talked with the organizer this morning. Our coach is 37'. Paying an extra $10 bucks.

That is a pretty good deal!!

Scottie
02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
I have it on my schedule. I probably won't sign up too early, as I like my options. But if I remember, it was a little over 4 hours for me. So well within my range if I need to do it myself...

Spydermike72
02-13-2008, 11:49 AM
I have it on my schedule. I probably won't sign up too early, as I like my options. But if I remember, it was a little over 4 hours for me. So well within my range if I need to do it myself...

Sounds good, I hope to see you there. It will be the same time as the fair so it will be fun for your girls if you can bring them.

jtwisted13
03-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Thank's for the head's up !!
Look very forward to this one! :biggrin:

so am i... seeing as i have to drive the missus to work here everyday, i might as well try my hand at this.

building Bam Bam's BBQ team right now..

Bbq Bubba
03-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Damn Jeff, never saw your intro.....good to see ya bro!!
Starting a team? Sounds great :biggrin:

jtwisted13
03-06-2008, 01:02 AM
yup in the recruiting stage right now..lol

trying to bribe jts70 and Richtee with some burbon or something..lol