PDA

View Full Version : Northeast 08 Contests

Muzzlebrake
01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
OK so I am looking contests about 5-6 hours drive from the NYC area...

Which am I missing? Looking for KCBS contests only

4/18 Pork In The Park Salisbury MD
5/17 Chesapeake BBQ Jubilee Chesapeake VA
5/24 Grillin on The Bay Brooklyn NY
6/8 BBQ on The Farm Yardley Pa
6/8 Beltway BBQ Battle Landover MD
6/21 NH BBQ Championships Merrimack NH
7/4 I Love BBQ Lake Placid NY
7/19 Brookline BBQ Brookline NH
7/26 Harpoon Windsor VT
7/26 Monmouth County Fair Freehold NJ
7/26 Chesapeake BBQ Stevensville MD
8/16 Hudson Valley Ribfest New Paltz NY
8/23 New Holland Summerfest New Hollnad PA
9/6 Pickin In The Panhandle Hedgsville WV
9/20 Harvard Fall Festival Harvard Ma
9/27 Oinktoberfest Clarence NY
10/18 Battle Of The Brethren Sayville NY
10/18 Diamond State BBQ Dover DE

MilitantSquatter
01-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Maybe that Limerock, CT contest if it happens again ?

White Dog BBQ
01-12-2008, 10:23 PM
They MAY hold the Berks BBQ Bash again, which is outside Reading, PA. They held it last year in July. I talked to Tommy from Smoken' Dudes (the organizer last year) and he said it doesn't look good, but he should know more soon. Last year it was non-sanctioned due to the 90 day rule, but this year presumably it would be KCBS sanctioned.

It also looks like you are missing Bel Air.

It's really disappointing that there is nothing in the Mid-Atlantic region between the beginning of June and the end of July. It was the same way last year. I really don't want to drive 7 hours for a contest in New England, but there's nothing in PA, MD, NJ or southern NY in that period.

Pig Headed
01-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Bridgeton, NJ in September. No dates yet for this year. Last year was the 1st year. Small but nice venue, and nicely run.

Lakeside Smoker
01-13-2008, 08:43 AM
On fathers day weekend there is a comp. at Peters Pond Campground on The Cape (Sandwich, MA). It's a Saturday comp. so you can still be home for Fathers Day on Sunday. But most teams stay over Saturday night and party. It was tons of fun last year and we'll be back this year. Go to www.NEBS.org for more info and cooks packet.

Also Brookline, NH comp. you have listed in not KCBS. But it is a lot of fun also!

Mike

CTSmokehouse
01-13-2008, 08:48 AM

That Limerock, CT contest last year was a real nice event! Hope it happens again!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

widespread
01-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Berks Bash was alot of fun and in a nice venue. Hope they have it again.

acorette
01-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Sean - Where'd you get the dates for Ointoberfest? I haven't seen it listed on the KCBS site (or the Oinktoberfest site for that matter.) I was trying to nail down my season too.

Thanks for doing a great job of summarizing for us NE'ers!

nancee
01-13-2008, 04:52 PM
I sure hope it happens!!! Steve or Michelle,
can you answer this so I know if I am heart broken or not?
thanks
nancee

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Berks Bash was alot of fun and in a nice venue. Hope they have it again.

I loved the location, you could even fish there if you had a PA lic. Jon and family were great and just one up from us. It was a GREAT yet small event!!

rookiedad
01-14-2008, 02:59 PM
is there any info on guitarbeque?

phil

pigmaker23
01-14-2008, 04:35 PM
its not on the NEBS Schedule yet that i know of , none of Vitos contests are up yet

On fathers day weekend there is a comp. at Peters Pond Campground on The Cape (Sandwich, MA). It's a Saturday comp. so you can still be home for Fathers Day on Sunday. But most teams stay over Saturday night and party. It was tons of fun last year and we'll be back this year. Go to www.NEBS.org (http://www.NEBS.org) for more info and cooks packet.

Also Brookline, NH comp. you have listed in not KCBS. But it is a lot of fun also!

Mike

pigmaker23
01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Waiting for George to Confirm but pretty sure its September 27th & 28th

Sean - Where'd you get the dates for Ointoberfest? I haven't seen it listed on the KCBS site (or the Oinktoberfest site for that matter.) I was trying to nail down my season too.

Thanks for doing a great job of summarizing for us NE'ers!

Lakeside Smoker
01-14-2008, 06:05 PM
its not on the NEBS Schedule yet that i know of , none of Vitos contests are up yet

I talked to Vito at the annual meeting and he said that the Peters Pond comp. is a definite. All the others (Limerock, Maine) were still up in the air. East Hartford is not happening.
But, as we all know anything can happen! Keep checking www.nebs.org for info.

Mike

Muzzlebrake
01-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Lime Rock......when was it last year?
how about Guitarbeque? That one didn't happen last year did it?

Where can I get more info about Bert's Bash, have heard it was a great time and if I can compete and fish I am in

Aaron, I took a SWAG @ Oinktoberfest....lol

Mike,.........East Hartford?

seems like I am missing a contest in Jersey

Jason - 3 Eyz
01-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Guitarbeque was cancelled last year, haven't heard if it's back on this year...

Bel Air, MD is usually the first or second weekend in August by the way...

Muzzlebrake
01-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Bel Air MD?

VA BBQ PIRATES
01-16-2008, 04:53 AM
There was one schedualed for late Sept. then cancelled in New Market, VA last year. The organizer told me it would happen in 2008. Cook-of at the Cave. Hopefully, it'll be a go this year.

http://www.cookoffatthecave.com/

lunchlady
01-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Lime Rock was on Memorial Day weekend last year.

I'll talk to Vito this weekend.

That Cookoff At The Caves looks like it could be AWESOME! I hope they do it, but PLEASE don't be the same weekend as 'the OINK'...

Sean - what is a SWAG ? I was at Oinktoberfest, WITH you even, and I still have no clue what you are talking about.... ?????

MilitantSquatter
01-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Sean - Also, don't forget Wildood, NJ in mid July if just to round out your list.

I think that one is always maxed out at 28 teams and they all return so getting a spot from a waiting list might require a lot of luck.

Jason - 3 Eyz
01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Bel Air MD?

MD BBQ Bash ---- State Championship..... downtown Bel Air, MD (northeast of Baltimore)

Good run contest with lots of folks coming by (50+ teams). Usually fills up pretty quick, but always last minute cancellations (at least the past 2 years)

nancee
01-16-2008, 07:58 PM
thanks Michelle. Have fun in KC everyone...
nancee

Lime Rock was on Memorial Day weekend last year.

I'll talk to Vito this weekend.

That Cookoff At The Caves looks like it could be AWESOME! I hope they do it, but PLEASE don't be the same weekend as 'the OINK'...

Sean - what is a SWAG ? I was at Oinktoberfest, WITH you even, and I still have no clue what you are talking about.... ?????

Muzzlebrake
01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
the Cookoff At The Caves does look way cool, if anyone gets any info on that please let me know ASAP.

what is a SWAG ?

.......scientific wild ass guess :mrgreen:

Michelle I am thinking (hoping?)that it is the week before the Oinktoberfest which I have to admit grows on me more and more as time goes by. Charlie Daniels and that pumpkin gun were pretty cool

Vinny........thats the one I was missing. Do you have a website for that?

Smokeneyes
01-17-2008, 11:37 AM
The Monmouth County Fair is great! They used to have mud football for fire company's but one to many injuries ended that. I am entering this one. I can't wait.

Just Smokin' Around
01-17-2008, 09:12 PM
MD BBQ Bash ---- State Championship..... downtown Bel Air, MD (northeast of Baltimore)

Good run contest with lots of folks coming by (50+ teams). Usually fills up pretty quick, but always last minute cancellations (at least the past 2 years)

Here's the link. Still has last years information. I heard it's scheduled for August 8 and 9 this year. Good contest, but it can get hot and even a little cold. Last year it was mid to upper 90's Friday and went down to the upper 50's Friday night:eek: A lot of folks weren't ready for the chilly night time temps.

http://www.mdbbq.com/

VA BBQ PIRATES
01-18-2008, 05:04 PM
I checked with the caverns today in New Market. Cook-Off at The Cave will not happen this year. Maybe 2009.

butt head
01-18-2008, 05:10 PM
vinny, only top 19 are garranted back in wildwood so 10 open spots

Muzzlebrake
01-18-2008, 07:01 PM
vinny, only top 19 are garranted back in wildwood so 10 open spots

just put in an application request

I checked with the caverns today in New Market. Cook-Off at The Cave will not happen this year. Maybe 2009.

thats too bad looked like a good one

YankeeBBQ
01-22-2008, 01:41 PM
I sure hope it happens!!! Steve or Michelle,
can you answer this so I know if I am heart broken or not?
thanks
nancee

Limerock is scheduled for May 24th and 25th. (same weekend as Grillin on the Bay)
Peter's Pond is June 13-14

YankeeBBQ
01-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Guitarbeque was cancelled last year, haven't heard if it's back on this year...

Bel Air, MD is usually the first or second weekend in August by the way...

No Guitarbeque this year. They are talking about one in 2009 though

nancee
01-22-2008, 08:13 PM
For real Steve? Greg will be so excited!!! Any other of last year's contests coming back???
thanks
nancee
ps you can email me if you would rather...I am sure details may be sketchy as always...

Limerock is scheduled for May 24th and 25th. (same weekend as Grillin on the Bay)

pigmaker23
01-23-2008, 07:24 AM
That seems like a silly time to have it, it will need 25 teams to be a qualifer right?

YankeeBBQ
01-23-2008, 08:14 AM
That seems like a silly time to have it, it will need 25 teams to be a qualifer right?

It's the same weekend as last year so actually it makes sense. It's also the big race weekend. I hate seeing two contest go up against each other but sometimes it can't be avoided. Organizers have to go with the weekend that the venue is available. Yes I believe it will need 25 teams to be a qualifier for the Royal and Jack. I think the GAB has different requirements.

ique
01-23-2008, 08:15 AM
I know its the same weekend but are the KCBS turn-ins the same day?

It's the same weekend as last year so actually it makes sense. It's also the big race weekend. I hate seeing two contest go up against each other but sometimes it can't be avoided. Organizers have to go with the weekend that the venue is available.

YankeeBBQ
01-23-2008, 08:16 AM
I know its the same weekend but are the KCBS turn-ins the same day?

It's Sunday in Limerock. What day is Grillin on the Bay ? Maybe we can convince one of them to change the day if it's the same. Iron Man Weekend

YankeeBBQ
01-23-2008, 08:17 AM
For real Steve? Greg will be so excited!!! Any other of last year's contests coming back???
thanks
nancee
ps you can email me if you would rather...I am sure details may be sketchy as always...

Maine is up in the air. I have to contact the Hogstock people and see what's up with that contest.

Nitrofly
01-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Somebody call Iron man Brendan he is our resident Iron man:rolleyes:

ique
01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
It's Sunday in Limerock. What day is Grillin on the Bay ? Maybe we can convince one of them to change the day if it's the same. Iron Man Weekend

Pretty sure NY is Sunday too. the iron man thing would be fun, of course with side-bets on best total points across the two contests...

Pigtrip
01-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Brooklyn's KCBS is Sunday, I asked Robert last week so I can plan my judging schedule.

carlharper
01-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Last year at Lime Rock, Saturday and Sunday had grilling contests. The KCBS turn ins were on Monday.

YankeeBBQ
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Last year at Lime Rock, Saturday and Sunday had grilling contests. The KCBS turn ins were on Monday.

Not this year. There are no events on Monday that is the big race day. Sunday there is no racing in the park. I believe Vito said there will only be 4 categories each day as well.

Transformer BBQ
01-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Somebody call Iron man Brendan he is our resident Iron man:rolleyes:

Together we can make it happen...big bbq caravan streaming down the highway... we might look like a traveling carnival.

Q Haven
01-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Vito told me that Lime Rock would be Saturday/Sunday only if it happens. He also says Maine isn't happening (at least at the same place as last year).

It's going to be hard for Lime Rock to go against BBQ on the Bay with its $20K pledged in prize money.

Scottie
01-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Where is Limerock? I mean, I've never done an ironman..

YankeeBBQ
01-23-2008, 02:44 PM

Lakeville Connecticut

Scottie
01-23-2008, 02:54 PM
I would do that if they were different days... I think Connecticut is right next to NY isn't it... ;-)

Q Haven
01-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Lakeville is deep in the Litchfield hills. No real highway access.

Google maps says two hours and 35 minutes between Lakeville and Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn where Grillin on the Bay is.

nancee
01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
any chance of talking Vito into BBQ on Saturday and grilling on Sunday? For Lime Rock crowds it shouldn't matter.
nancee

Not this year. There are no events on Monday that is the big race day. Sunday there is no racing in the park. I believe Vito said there will only be 4 categories each day as well.

nancee
01-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Scottie
the best route for the motor home is probably up rt 22 in nys. rt 7 bis more direct but it is a nuisance that weekend. Alternatively, and this may make most sense is to take 95 up to rt 8 in Bridgeport and cut over when 8 ends. We do it all ways. Hopefully it will work out for all of us; I really want to do both. Limerock is an incredibly beautiful venue and race weekend is a blast.
nancee

DawgPhan
01-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Quick question, how many teams can you expect at each of the NE events listed?

MilitantSquatter
01-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Quick question, how many teams can you expect at each of the NE events listed?

Range is somewhere around 30 to 80....

CTSmokehouse
01-23-2008, 10:38 PM

Primal Meat Smokers did their one and only at Limerock last year... Made KCBS TOY and Chicken and Brisket TOY lists with that one contest.

The thing about Limerock is the venue... the Berkshire Mountains surround you... 10,000 race fans visit you... you will miss the race because it is 3D buzzing around you... but it was just a wonderful setting and on grass!!

I'm sure that the event on the Bay in Brooklyn is top notch... my heart is in CT

Hope for Limerock 2!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

SmokeInDaEye
01-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Just heard Grillin on the Bay is being posponed so it looks like I may be heading to Limerock.

They're hoping to secure a new venue and date for GOTB so keep your fingers crossed. We can always use more local contests around here

SmokeInDaEye
01-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Anyone do BBQ on the Farm AND Limerock last year? Both sound good but I need to pick one.

nancee
01-30-2008, 05:24 PM
we did and so did lunchmeat. very different events. I would do Limerock if I were you just to see it. Very different venue than most contests.
My $.02 but we can talk more about this Sunday.
nancee

Anyone do BBQ on the Farm AND Limerock last year? Both sound good but I need to pick one.

Sledneck
01-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I decided to go to BBQ on the farm now that brooklyn is off

MilitantSquatter
01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
BBQ on the Farm was good and I plan to do it again...

(Did not hurt that I came in 3rd overall out of 50 either !!)

Yardley is my preference so I don't have to kill most of a three day weekend and potentially deal with the extra traffic but would have done so for GOTB due to the close proximity to where we live.

SmokeInDaEye
01-31-2008, 08:34 AM
BBQ on the Farm was good and I plan to do it again...

(Did not hurt that I came in 3rd overall out of 50 either !!)

Yardley is my preference so I don't have to kill most of a three day weekend and potentially deal with the extra traffic but would have done so for GOTB due to the close proximity to where we live.

Isn't that a three day contest or did most teams only compete on Sunday? I love the fact that it's my (and Slednecks) brithday weekend, but wish they had real grilling categories on Saturday, or at least did the Iron Chef thing Saturday.

Decisions, decisions.

lunchlady
01-31-2008, 01:02 PM
As far as I remember, it wasn't a three day. There WAS an Iron Chef, but we didn't get there in time for that Friday. The other was a Backyard event I think. I'm gonna let the cold cuts cook it this year, if they are able. They haven't quite made it to 16 yet, by about 5 years, but they are slightly experienced in cooking.

Both were great events, although very different from each other.

At BBQ On The Farm, the trophies were INSANELY huge!! The competition (team-wise) was really good too. Not to mention the MABA breakfast, thanks Tom! I like that they got a discount on the hotel across the street for weary travelers, and the grocery store nearby was awesome.

Lime Rock had many perks as well. Tough competition, beautiful venue WITH live car races... how cool is that? If I remember correctly, Vito gave all entry fees back out in the prize pool, and you didn't HAVE to cook fifteen categories in three days if you didn't want to. So we didn't. Took Sunday off and just chilled, so it was fine for us. Lime Rock is pretty far out though, and a grocery store is a bit of a ride.

We are planning on back-to-backs... c'mon Clint... you can do it!

SmokeInDaEye
01-31-2008, 02:36 PM
We are planning on back-to-backs... c'mon Clint... you can do it!

I would if I could but my CFO has made it very clear that I'm doing only 4 this year so I have to be extremely careful in my selection. I'd rather save that battle in case somehow I can get into Harpoon and have to add a fifth.:mrgreen: