PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant Hill, MO (April 4-5, 2008)

Jeff_in_KC
01-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Just wanted to give an update on the Brain Injury Association Contest and will use this thread to provide further info as we go along.

We're getting a ton of traffic on our Web site since the new year arrived as teams start planning schedules. The entry forms are starting to come in now so don't hold off long if you're planning to cook this event! Our goal is 50 teams and payout will be 100% of the entry fees less KCBS sanctioning fees.

We had a great write-up in the local paper this week announcing the contest. We got front page, top half main headline! I have received a couple of messages from that article about volunteers.

We are planning to run the Kids Q like the Sedalia contest does: two categories and an overall winner. Since we're doing this on Friday night, we MAY be in need of a few judges for that...

I am forwarding a bunch of judge requests to Jamey so I think our goal of 100% CBJs should be close if not right on!

Hope to see a lot of you out here in April! Let me, Stan, Aimee or Jamey know if you have any questions... I guess I just realized this is pretty much a Brethren run contest! :lol:

KC_Bobby
01-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Jeff, I just signed up to volunteer and/or to judge. Let me know if you need help prior to the competition.

Jeff_in_KC
01-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Jeff, I just signed up to volunteer and/or to judge. Let me know if you need help prior to the competition.

Thanks Bob!

Plowboy
01-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Our entry should be in by now. That will be our first contest.

Jeff_in_KC
01-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Our entry should be in by now. That will be our first contest.

They haven't sent it to us yet if so.

I've also recently heard from Boys Night Out, Early Bird and Mad Hogs and An Englishman.

Que'inKC
01-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm obviously pretty new to this, but would like to try and do a couple contests this year...Would this be a good one for a newbie that doesn't really know what he's doing?

KC_Bobby
01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm obviously pretty new to this, but would like to try and do a couple contests this year...Would this be a good one for a newbie that doesn't really know what he's doing?

Will you have your Backwoods by then? If I hadn't already volunteered to help at this comp, I'd be available as a consultant (in trade for beer). Maybe Jeff can set me up as you concierge, that would allow me to help out. Keep in mind, I only have 1 real year of experience in comps, about 5 other years helping another team, and by help I mean drinking beer and opening the smoker like I was a 5 year old trying to find out how the light was always on in the refridge.

Que'inKC
01-16-2008, 12:20 PM
I hope to have it by then...but not sure...I've got to several BBQ contests in the past few years, but I've never known anyone that I could hang out with...More than anything I just want to know the process, no secrets..Just how things general go...

I have a buddy that's interested as well, so he might assist with a few, but again he hasn't done any contests before either...the chef at my work's Cafeteria has done many contests, but I haven't gotten a chance to hang with him yet..

KC_Bobby
01-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Have you ordered a Backwoods, or just looking to find one to buy?

Que'inKC
01-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I just sent an email to Jim and plan on calling him later...but no I havent ordered one yet, but plan to in the next few weeks...

KC_Bobby
01-16-2008, 12:39 PM
They generally have Party's in stock.

butts a fire
01-16-2008, 12:42 PM
They generally have Party's in stock.

When I talked to him before buying Bob's he said that they had a several in stock and they had different features on them so you should hopefully be able to pick one up and not have to order it from the factory.

Que'inKC
01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Awesome..thanks for the info.

KC_Bobby
01-16-2008, 12:53 PM
More than anything I just want to know the process, no secrets..Just how things general go...

It goes something like this:
Friday
1) arrive as soon as you can - many teams get there prior to 1:00 pm
2) get meat checked in and grab a beer
3) set up canopy, tables, etc and grab a beer
4) prep meat and keep beer near
5) have a beer and finish setting up what you didn't need prior to prepping meat
6) figure out what you forgot and call someone to bring it
7) hopefully you have time to relax and say hi to others, maybe start a meal for later
8] go to cooks meeting (take two beers with)
9) come back and make/finish some food
10) drink with friends and neighbors til it's time to start the cooker
10a) optional - put together turn in boxes
11) drink while getting cooker up to temp
12) put in brisket and butt in the cooker
13) con't drinking til the need for some sleep

Saturday
1) wake up 10 minutes late to get ribs on
2) check internal temps of brisket and butts - wrap if needed/not yet done through the night
3) brush teeth/drink coffee - the order is optional, but highly recommended
4) stare into space as wondering where the hangover came from
5) lay back down for an hour or two
6) start chicken cooker (if using different unit)/check butts and brisket to see if they're ready to hold
7) talk to neighbor till they offer some of their fatty
8] put on chicken
9) finish or put together turn in boxes
10) take a minute and gather thoughtand at any point of getting thirsty or need a cure for hangover, make a drink
11) start getting chicken into box and turn in
12) rib time
13) pork time
14) brisket time
15) take 5 minutes to relax
16) clean up, pack and load up
17) awards
18] biatch about judge 3 and his tenderness score
19) swear that you're done doing another comp again
20) wad up score sheet and throw in trash
21) say good bye to neighbors and tell them you'll see them at the next comp

Did I miss anything?

Que'inKC
01-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Thats AWESOME...I especially like the beer drinking parts...

thanks for taking the time to do this...I think I get the picture now...

KC_Bobby
01-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Sorry, we got this way off topic. Mod feel free to delete as needed in order to get it back on.

Aimee
01-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Sorry, we got this way off topic. Mod feel free to delete as needed in order to get it back on.

I think it should remain....I like it and that is just the way things run, and will in P Hill at our contest! I look forward to seeing everyone there, and for the newbies...just jump in with two feet and have a ton O' fun....that is the name of the game. There are plenty of teams around to help you and give you great tips!

I just run the contest....never cooked so I really don't know what I am talking about just thought it sounded good! LOL!!!!!:-P

Jeff@KC
01-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Everything sounds about right except I NEVER drink at a contest!!!

Jeff_in_KC
01-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Everything sounds about right except I NEVER drink at a contest!!!

Dude, I think you have it in an IV at contests! :lol:

KC_Bobby
01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Sounds like Aimee's buying first round!

Jeff_in_KC
01-20-2008, 01:37 PM
OK guys and gals... not to rush anyone here but I wanted to make sure any Brethren wanting to come to Pleasant Hill in April gets their spot. From what I hear (and what Wayne told me last night), many people we're talking to, when asked what their first contest is going to be said Pleasant Hill. Suddenly, I'm thinking filling up 50 teams in NOT going to be an issue at all.

Plowboy
01-20-2008, 02:04 PM
OK guys and gals... not to rush anyone here but I wanted to make sure any Brethren wanting to come to Pleasant Hill in April gets their spot. From what I hear (and what Wayne told me last night), many people we're talking to, when asked what their first contest is going to be said Pleasant Hill. Suddenly, I'm thinking filling up 50 teams in NOT going to be an issue at all.

I was hearing the same thing, Jeff. This could be a fun, fun contest.

Jeff_in_KC
01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that igf you're entering the People's Choice Wing contest Friday night, the wings will now be provided to you free of charge (entry fees fo $10 go to the prize pool for the wing event). Jeff@KC has a business and called me last week to say he'd sponsor the wing contest. So we'll have 3-4 pounds of wings per team when you get here on Friday. Thank Jeff if you talk to him!

SloppyQ
01-29-2008, 09:33 PM
How's the peoples choice going to be run. i.e. (cook and we serve or cook and volunteers serve at central location ). Entry is in the mail and I failed to sign up for this.

Jeff_in_KC
01-29-2008, 10:29 PM
How's the peoples choice going to be run. i.e. (cook and we serve or cook and volunteers serve at central location ). Entry is in the mail and I failed to sign up for this.

That will be determined after my visit with the health department. I'm inclined to say blind judging... cook and bring to a central location. We'll have people to serve the wings and the plan is going to be keeping them hot with a chafing tray and sterno. I'm hoping that will make the health department happy.

Since the reason you send entries to St. Louis is that the BIA functions as our accounting department, you might need to send an additional $10 if you want to do this. And give them a note that this is to add to the entry fee for wings.

lazyjacres
01-30-2008, 09:49 AM
The only fair way to do a peoples choice award is by blind judging in a central area.
The food should be presented to the public in generic numbered containers that only the judging committee has access to.
This eliminates the possibility of padded voting, since the majority of people coming to vote will theoretically be from the general area of the competition.
A lot of out of area teams do not paritcipate in these contests for this very reason. They know the odds are against them if every one knows who's entries are who's.
Normally the health departments prefer this scenario also, as they have central control of how the food in generally handled and maintained.

butts a fire
01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Our entry form and fee got sent on monday, I am looking forward to seeing all the brethern there.

Solidkick
01-30-2008, 12:15 PM
The only fair way to do a peoples choice award is by blind judging in a central area.
The food should be presented to the public in generic numbered containers that only the judging committee has access to.
This eliminates the possibility of padded voting, since the majority of people coming to vote will theoretically be from the general area of the competition.
A lot of out of area teams do not paritcipate in these contests for this very reason. They know the odds are against them if every one knows who's entries are who's.
Normally the health departments prefer this scenario also, as they have central control of how the food in generally handled and maintained.

Still holding the grudge from Hermann and brats 2 years ago huh?:twisted:

You are absolutely correct in your thought process of the fairest way for People's Choice to be judged for the competitior.....but If the People's Choice is to draw traffic, then you have to go with the flow....

lazyjacres
01-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Still holding the grudge from Hermann and brats 2 years ago huh?:twisted:

Point made........... blind judging!!!!!!!!!!!

You are absolutely correct in your thought process of the fairest way for People's Choice to be judged for the competitior.....but If the People's Choice is to draw traffic, then you have to go with the flow....

If the people are going to come for the peoples choice, they will come no matter how it is officiated. They pretty much just come to each any way. As an organizer, I believe it is up to us to make sure that everything is kept on an even playing field.

Jeff_in_KC
01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Agreed, Jamey. Can't see it any other way. I've seen locals win these things just because everyone knew who's was who's. That's not right.

SloppyQ
01-30-2008, 10:48 PM
The reason I asked how peoples choice was going to be ran was because of the contest at Sedalia where we had to serve our entry. This was a real pain in the arse and to me wasn't blind judging but a popularity contest. Jeff and Kick you were both there and know what I mean. JMHO. I'm sure P Hill will be better.

Jeff_in_KC
02-25-2008, 10:06 AM
We're about 30% full now. As Jamey said in another thread, we still need CBJs so let us know if you're available. Thanks!

Jeff_in_KC
02-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Nice day for us! Got another vendor signed, the health department is going to be a LOT easier to work with than previous ones, band is finalized, dance studio performance is finalized (bringing around 50 little girls which will bring out at least 50 sets of parents, grandparents, etc. on Saturday morning) AND best of all got an email from Aimee with 13 more paid entries in the contest. That takes us up to 27 teams entered. That's 54% full guys. Hope you get your entries in soon! Out of our entries, the following are the Brethren onboard:

The Pickled Pig
Pork Pullin' Plowboys
Butts-a-Fire
Sloppy's Backwoods Smokers
Great Grills o' Fire
Bubba and Jeff's BBQ
MoKan Meatheads
TheSlabs.com

We have all entries posted on our Web site at www.SmokinOnBigCreek.com/teams.html (http://www.SmokinOnBigCreek.com/teams.html) so if I did not recognize your team, please let me know.

KC_Bobby
02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Are you going to try to put the Brethren together (if possible)? I'll be out Friday night to judge kids Q, so I hope to share in some beers if you farkers will have me. :biggrin:

And judging on Saturday ... so I might be up for some more beers after turn ins and before awards too.

smknwhlswife
02-26-2008, 09:21 PM
We're about 30% full now. As Jamey said in another thread, we still need CBJs so let us know if you're available. Thanks!

Thanks to our new diet, Andy and I are out as CBJs. We are going to come and hang out though.

Plowboy
02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks to our new diet, Andy and I are out as CBJs. We are going to come and hang out though.

Tell Andy, I could use a chicken cook and teammate. Randy probably won't be there.

smknwhlswife
02-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Tell Andy, I could use a chicken cook and teammate. Randy probably won't be there.

I will let him know.

Jeff_in_KC
02-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Are you going to try to put the Brethren together (if possible)? I'll be out Friday night to judge kids Q, so I hope to share in some beers if you farkers will have me. :biggrin:

And judging on Saturday ... so I might be up for some more beers after turn ins and before awards too.

If at all possible, yes. Except Steph probably doesn't want to be saddled with the rest of you farkers! :lol:

Bob, I recall De Soto... we might be required to ask you to hand us your keys before you get going full swing on Friday night! :shock:

Captain Caveman
02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
We (Caveman Cuisine) will be entering also, providing there is still room when we get our tax return. This will be the first contest for us in '08.

HoDeDo
02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Bob, I recall De Soto... we might be required to ask you to hand us your keys before you get going full swing on Friday night! :shock:
You don't get to drink either Jeff - we've seen your ability to bounce back on a Sat :biggrin: Muuuuuaaaahhhhhhhhahahahahah!:icon_clown

Kim was talking about volunteering, so sounds like we're in for something at least -- And if you need a cook, I'm sure we can work something out :cool:

I was looking forward to judging this year, but now that we are dieting, most of the Que is off limits for now. We were considering adding this to our cooking roster, but with the topsy-turvy stuff going on the job front - I have not added any contests, and we've actually stripped out several. I'm just not comfortable adding any until work stabilizes and we see what fuel is going to cost by summer.... A .50 jump in diesel in the last couple months , makes a tank just over $125 now vs. last summer @ $75 tank. That is going to add about $100 per contest to the cost side of the equation.

Jeff_in_KC
02-26-2008, 10:20 PM
You don't get to drink either Jeff - we've seen your ability to bounce back on a Sat :biggrin: Muuuuuaaaahhhhhhhhahahahahah!:icon_clown

Ability? Or more accurately a lack thereof. :lol:

Kim was talking about volunteering, so sounds like we're in for something at least -- And if you need a cook, I'm sure we can work something out :cool:

We can defintely use the experienced help, guys!

HoDeDo
02-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Ability? Or more accurately a lack thereof. :lol:
You said it. 8-)

We can defintely use the experienced help, guys!

Got your back bro. Maybe I will bring a golf cart and.... oh nevermind :twisted:

Que'inKC
02-27-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm hoping to use this opportunity to meet a bunch of your farkers and help out if anyone needs any...I'll be there Friday and Saturday if need be...

stan
02-27-2008, 07:53 PM
I am ready for the contest to get hear and have a few beers with everyone. To bad we still have some work to do before the contest starts.

Looking forward to see everyone!

Jeff_in_KC
02-27-2008, 08:06 PM
I am ready for the contest to get hear and have a few beers with everyone. To bad we still have some work to do before the contest starts.

Looking forward to see everyone!

It's just starting to get fun, now Stan. :lol: When is GETS here is when the work starts. :wink:

The Pickled Pig
02-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Out of our entries, the following are the Brethren onboard:

The Pickled Pig
Pork Pullin' Plowboys
Butts-a-Fire
Sloppy's Backwoods Smokers
Great Grills o' Fire
Bubba and Jeff's BBQ
MoKan Meatheads
TheSlabs.com

Mokan was allowed in so clearly the standards aren't that high. :-P

SloppyQ
02-27-2008, 09:14 PM

Thats just not fair, I wanted his help.:cry::evil: But I guess I'll get by just fine.

MoKanMeathead
02-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Mokan was allowed in so clearly the standards aren't that high. :-P

Yup - they will let anyone in if they lets us in. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing everyone and getting the year started off.

clubjoe
02-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Jeff, I just sent in my entry. So R Butts R Smokin will be there. Looking forward to seeing all the Brethern.

Jeff_in_KC
03-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Wow, I wasn't quite expecting a rush on entries! We're up to 38 teams now. We can take 53 MAX. Looks to be a good comp with some tough competition! Bold teams are Brethren teams.

Nice Ashes (Lenexa, KS)
The Pickled Pig (Overland Park, KS)
Rib-It BBQ (Lee's Summit, MO)
Funny Farm BBQ (Paola, KS)
Pork Pullin' Plowboys (Blue Springs, MO)
Rubbin' It and Lovin' It (Shawnee, KS)
Munchin' Hogs at the Hilton (Prairie Village, KS)
Butts-A-Fire (Kansas City, KS)
Sloppy's Backwoods Smokers (Edwards, MO)
Great Grills O' Fire (Jefferson City, MO)
Bubba and Jeff's BBQ (Lee's Summit, MO)
MoKan Meatheads (Grain Valley, MO)
TheSlabs.com (Kansas City, MO)
Slabs of Approval (Kansas City, MO)
Quau (Brimfield, IL)
K-Cass BBQ (Pleasant Hill, MO)
Mean Dean's Smokin' Machine (Lee's Summit, MO)
Mad Hogs and an Englishman (Linwood, KS)
Smoke for Brains (Lee's Summit, MO)
Bare Bones BBQ Team (Liberty, MO)
FireChef.com (Sibley, MO)
Gettin' Sauced (Drexel, MO)
Aesop's Table - The Porker's Pit (St. Paul, MN)
D-Smoke (Raymore, MO)
Pork Patrol (Cleveland, MO)
Grease Fire (Raymore, MO)
Lil' Smokers BBQ Team (Lee's Summit, MO)
T's Smokin' Pit (Kansas City, KS)
R Butts R Smokin' (Lee's Summit, MO)
Lil' Fiddlers Smokin' (Cleveland, MO)
Squeal of Approval (Merriam, KS)
Midwest Scuba-Que (Kansas City, MO)
Rabbit Gulch Farm Cookers (Lone Jack, MO)
Just Pullin' Pork (Overland Park, KS)
Dodge County Smokers (Mission, KS)
Smokin' Guns (North Kansas City, MO)
Sedalia Master Basters (Sedalia, MO)
Park Avenue Pork (Kansas City, MO).

Captain Caveman
03-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Caveman Cuisine's entry is on the way! Ours was mailed out Tuesday.

Jeff_in_KC
03-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Chad, got your entry today from Aimee. We're up to 44 teams now. That leaves 9 spots max! If you've been waiting, I don't suggest waiting any longer. I know of two teams who are mailing entries this week. Here's the additional teams to the ones listed above:

Muddy River Boys (Centralia, MO)
Genuine Swine (Pleasant Hill, MO)
Ziggy's Piggys (Pleasant Hill, MO)
Boys' Night Out (Blue Springs, MO)
Caveman Cuisine (Carthage, MO)
Wild Blue (Stilwell, KS)

Plowboy
03-11-2008, 09:30 PM
That's a TOUGH group. Dang, better bring the A game.

Jeff_in_KC
03-11-2008, 09:36 PM
That's a TOUGH group. Dang, better bring the A game.

Can't count the number of Grands in that entire group, Todd! :eek:

Plowboy
03-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Can't count the number of Grands in that entire group, Todd! :eek:

Or years at the pit.

Just Pulin' Pork
03-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Jeff add me to the highlghted list. I have officially have 2 posts on the Brethern site. My team name is "Just Pullin Pork."

Tubby
03-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Muddy River Boys will be there sent out check today

Jeff_in_KC
03-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Jeff add me to the highlghted list. I have officially have 2 posts on the Brethern site. My team name is "Just Pullin Pork."

Jon, I tried but apparently it's too old of a post to edit...

Admins, if you can highlight Just Pullin' Pork above, I'd appreciate it...

Jeff_in_KC
03-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Muddy River Boys will be there sent out check today

Thanks! Aimee told me you were sending it in so I added you to the list. I just highlighted you guys. I didn't know you were here. :redface: My apologies. See you in a few weeks!

KC_Bobby
03-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Jeff, is it legal to drink adult beverages on the P Hill fairgrounds?
-I might show up to drink mod

Rookie'48
03-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Jeff, the SoDT finally let me know when we will be @ the kids' place this spring, and that's the weekend that we'll be in MOFO land! I sent my app in to judge just now, hope I get the OK @ this late date. Even if they don't need another CBJ, I won't tell the OL, I'll just be there Fri night/Sat morning:biggrin:. Are there any cheap motels near the comp (pass out mod) ?

See Ya!!!

Jeff_in_KC
03-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Jeff, is it legal to drink adult beverages on the P Hill fairgrounds?
-I might show up to drink mod

With the exception of the local Mexican restaurant and two bars, I'm guessing more beer is consumed at the fairgrounds than most places in town! :lol:

I thought you said you were volunteering Friday night and judging Saturday? :wink:

Jeff_in_KC
03-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Jeff, the SoDT finally let me know when we will be @ the kids' place this spring, and that's the weekend that we'll be in MOFO land! I sent my app in to judge just now, hope I get the OK @ this late date. Even if they don't need another CBJ, I won't tell the OL, I'll just be there Fri night/Sat morning:biggrin:. Are there any cheap motels near the comp (pass out mod) ?

See Ya!!!

Dave, we got your request form to judge and you're in! And no but there aren't any motels in town... we're not on a major thoroughfare so they tend not to come here. We have a bed & breakfast though. Down the road to the south about ten miles in Harrisonville, there are a couple, including a Super 8. North about 12 miles is Lee's Summit. There are several around there, including a Super 8, a Comfort Inn, a Fairfield Inn and I think a little farther north of town is a Holiday Inn Express. All would be a little tough if you were in pass out mod.

Que'inKC
03-12-2008, 09:47 PM
With the exception of the local Mexican restaurant and two bars, I'm guessing more beer is consumed at the fairgrounds than most places in town! :lol:

I thought you said you were volunteering Friday night and judging Saturday? :wink:

Wait a minute I thought Bob was judging that contest, I thought we learned in class that judges shouldn't be aloud to mingle with the common folk..:smile:

KC_Bobby
03-12-2008, 10:45 PM

I am, I was just joking around. I can be there by about 6:00 or shortly after on Friday.

KC_Bobby
03-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Wait a minute I thought Bob was judging that contest, I thought we learned in class that judges shouldn't be aloud to mingle with the common folk..:smile:

I heard day off, so from morning til after judging is over. Right????

Que'inKC
03-12-2008, 10:56 PM
I heard day off, so from morning til after judging is over. Right????

Just messin with ya dude....Hope to see ya there and have a few adult beverages with ya...

Que'inKC
03-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey Jeff...I plan on being there just hanging around, so I can volunteer if you need more help.

Jeff_in_KC
03-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey Jeff...I plan on being there just hanging around, so I can volunteer if you need more help.

We absolutely need all the volunteers we can get! What time frames can you be there both Friday and Saturday? Go to www.SmokinOnBigCreek.com (http://www.SmokinOnBigCreek.com) and click on the volunteer button and submit the form! Thanks!

Que'inKC
03-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Jeff...I'm actually off on Friday, so I planned on coming down as early as I could...Plus i can come down Saturday as well...

Just Signed up...

Jeff Wohlt
03-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Looks like a fun event...anywhere to throw a tent?

If anyone needs a grunt I will not be cooking but can handle all aspects if needed.

Great to have events in Missouri!!

If anyone needs travel information I work for Missouri Tourism and would be glad to send out Vacation planners that have all the scoop to stay, eat, etc. Or just go to our site.

www.visitmo.com (http://www.visitmo.com)

Jeff_in_KC
03-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Jeff...I'm actually off on Friday, so I planned on coming down as early as I could...Plus i can come down Saturday as well...

Just Signed up...

Got it! Thanks Jeff!

BTW... a note to volunteers - we will be holding a walk-through for all volunteers on the Saturday prior to the event, weather permitting. Basically, we'll cover what we'll need volunteers to do and hopefully assign some duties. Also, you'll find out what all the festivities will be, where parking for judges, teams and the public will be and so forth. Details will follow later in the month.

KC_Bobby
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm not available the week prior, I'll be at Spring Training @ the ISU meat lab. Hope that doesn't get me cut off the list.

Que'inKC
03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Got it! Thanks Jeff!

BTW... a note to volunteers - we will be holding a walk-through for all volunteers on the Saturday prior to the event, weather permitting. Basically, we'll cover what we'll need volunteers to do and hopefully assign some duties. Also, you'll find out what all the festivities will be, where parking for judges, teams and the public will be and so forth. Details will follow later in the month.

No problem...Sounds like it's going to be fun time..

Que'inKC
03-14-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm not available the week prior, I'll be at Spring Training @ the ISU meat lab. Hope that doesn't get me cut off the list.

LUCKY!!!

Rookie'48
03-14-2008, 10:01 PM
All would be a little tough if you were in pass out mod.

Especially on a Friday night in Missouri while driving with Iowa plates???? :twisted: Not to mention getting lost at the same time???? :rolleyes: I might have to cut down on the drinking (not likely) or crash in the OL's mini van.

KC_Bobby
03-14-2008, 10:17 PM
If the beers get the best of me I'll be sleeping in my truck then coming home as the sun comes up for a few more hours of sleep, a shower and some coffees before going back to judge.

(And I don't necessarily mean sloppy sloppy drunk with a hangover that would effect how I feel Saturday, I just don't like driving after drinking.)

Jeff_in_KC
03-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Wow, all this rain is farking us! I'm meeting with the Parks Director and Mayor on Wednesday morning to discuss and look at location alternatives. It's gonna have to be 80 degrees, sunny and windy for two solid weeks to get that damned park dry! We may end up on asphalt afterall... we'll keep you all posted.

KC_Bobby
03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Look on the bright side, the grass should be green this spring.

Timmy
03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Jeff,
Are there any spots left? Want to send in the app if there is.

Rookie'48
03-18-2008, 12:55 AM
(And I don't necessarily mean sloppy sloppy drunk with a hangover that would effect how I feel Saturday, I just don't like driving after drinking.)

With my license being my livelihood, I agree. Truck driver mod.

Jeff_in_KC
03-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Jeff,
Are there any spots left? Want to send in the app if there is.

Timmy, I have six spots left that I'm aware of. There is another 2-3 in the mail from what I'm told. I'd mail today if you plan on being in. I'm hoping we're full by Friday end of day.

Jeff_in_KC
03-24-2008, 01:24 AM
We're pretty much full now... maybe two spots left if need be. Just as an FYI, contest info packets will be emailed out Tuesday evening or at the latest Wednesday afternoon. I just need to get input from all committee members first. Also, we're probably about 30% leaning towards needing to move the location to downtown Pleasant Hill due to mud. About five days ago, I would have told you 100% but we've had some pretty good weather. We're looking at 50's and 60's all this week with wind and only a 30% chance of showers Wednesday. Cross your fingers!!! If we get no rain, I'm thinking that chance of moving locations decreases a bit each day!

paydabill
03-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Looking forward to judging the event and seeing everybody out there. Good luck with the weather Jeff. That is a problem with March and April - you never know what Mother Nature has in store.

Mokin Bandit
03-24-2008, 10:22 AM
I am going to try and talk the wife into one of those last spots. My team member already said yes! Just might be a little to short notice for her.

Anyway if I can't compete I am definitely going to try and come out and check it out! Pending my kids approval.

Edit: I am approved... Is there a spot or two left.

Mitchelina
03-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Timmy, I have six spots left that I'm aware of. There is another 2-3 in the mail from what I'm told. I'd mail today if you plan on being in. I'm hoping we're full by Friday end of day.

We still need to get the app in the mail -- holiday weekend interruptus if you get my drift. Is it too late??????

Que'inKC
03-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Jeff, You indicated that you wanted to have a volunteer's meeting the weekend before the event...So I assume there will be one this weekend...any details?

Jeff_in_KC
03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Jeff, You indicated that you wanted to have a volunteer's meeting the weekend before the event...So I assume there will be one this weekend...any details?

Still planning on having a meeting Saturday morning at 9:30 AM at the contest site (Community Building) on 58 Hwy. just west of downtown. The Health Department class is a no-go for that day though so we won't be there too long. Just covering the basics. Not sure how many can attend either.

Jeff_in_KC
03-24-2008, 05:52 PM
To those still wanting to enter, I have no way of knowing if anyone has their entry in the mail at this point. Best case scenario would be you send it in now and if we're full by the time you get it there, you can go on a waiting list for cancellations (we had one). If none occur, you will get your money back.

I was out at the fairgrounds today and if we had to put teams in there today, we could have done it! It's not bad at all!!! Keep fingers crossed and pray for little or NO rain in the next ten days! Wednesday of this week may be touchy but even so, I don't think they're expecting much.

Que'inKC
03-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Still planning on having a meeting Saturday morning at 9:30 AM at the contest site (Community Building) on 58 Hwy. just west of downtown. The Health Department class is a no-go for that day though so we won't be there too long. Just covering the basics. Not sure how many can attend either.

Unless you tell me otherwise I'll plan on being there at 9:30am Saturday morning.

VGuilford
03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Same here.

Jeff_in_KC
03-25-2008, 03:12 PM
OK guys... to those of you still asking about getting in, there are no entry forms at BIA as of this morning (their mail today should arrive soon). My suggestion is get 'em in NOW as in make the mail by the time it goes out today. I know of one team who sent an entry yesterday and it should arrive tomorrow. That means there are TWO spots left! I can't guarantee there aren't others in the mail but it looks decent for you right now anyway.

Thanks!

Jeff

Diva
03-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Relax there Big Fella.....go to El Mazatlan and grab yourself one of those big honkin margaritas, my treat. Everything'll turn out just fine.

Jeff_in_KC
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Relax there Big Fella.....go to El Mazatlan and grab yourself one of those big honkin margaritas, my treat. Everything'll turn out just fine.

Your treat? When are you coming to town? Bunny said yesterday we need to do an El Mazatlan night soon!

HoDeDo
03-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Jeff relax? He's not happy unless he has something to worry about!!!
If he's not trying to perfect something.... he might explode :mrgreen:

Plowboy
03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Jeff relax? He's not happy unless he has something to worry about!!!
If he's not trying to perfect something.... he might explode :mrgreen:

Now that's funny!!!

Jeff_in_KC
03-26-2008, 06:23 PM
OK guys... anyone who is planning on being here Saturday for the volunteer briefing, can you make it at 8am? The Cass County health Department can do their safe food handling class starting at 8am only. That's all they have available. Community Building at the fairgrounds at 8 am. We'll take the 45 minute class then discuss the contest details for 45 min to an hour and be done before 10 am... let me know!

EDIT: Also, we're down to ONE spot available.

Jeff_in_KC
03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
We have survived this round of rain with no damage to the comp area. We got very minor rainfall here last night and this morning. We apparently have Wednesday night into Thursday morning to get through with forecast showers and thunderstorms at about a 40% chance but by then, we'll had needed to make the call on moving or remaining at the fairgrounds. Good news is Friday and Saturday are supposed to be outstanding weather days... partly sunny to sunny and temps in the low 60's! See some of you guys on Friday!

matthew burt
03-31-2008, 10:11 PM
hey Jeff, are you guys needing anymore CBJs, My weekend has cleared up(was supposed to be out of town) and am interested in judging if there is room left.

Que'inKC
03-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Man I hope the weather holds off...If it's going to be like they say it is, this weekend should be a lot of fun...Let me know if I can do anything between now and then..

Plowboy
04-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Jeff, can we drop off trailers on Thursday night? If we are at the Fairgrounds, I'm going to bring my camper.

Jeff_in_KC
04-01-2008, 08:55 AM
hey Jeff, are you guys needing anymore CBJs, My weekend has cleared up(was supposed to be out of town) and am interested in judging if there is room left.

not sure Matt... send a PM or email to lazyjacres (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=1898) here... he's the Judge Coordinator. I think we might need a few and if not, would you be able to volunteer to come help out? I know we need volunteers to help take care of the team needs.

Jeff_in_KC
04-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Jeff, can we drop off trailers on Thursday night? If we are at the Fairgrounds, I'm going to bring my camper.

Yep, just give me a call on my cell before you head out this way so I'll know when to be down there. I have 4 or 5 people bringing RVs or large trailers in on Thursday evening.

matthew burt
04-01-2008, 09:16 AM
not sure Matt... send a PM or email to lazyjacres (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=1898) here... he's the Judge Coordinator. I think we might need a few and if not, would you be able to volunteer to come help out? I know we need volunteers to help take care of the team needs.

even if I judge it Saturday I might be available friday, but will have to check my schedule to be sure

Chris Nickelson
04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Ya it would be nice to warm up a bit ! See you guys there!!!

KC_Bobby
04-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Jeff, how are the grounds? Let's hope those forecasted storms on Thursday pass us by.

Jeff_in_KC
04-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Grounds are perfectly good right now... I emailed Gary Lezak about this 60 to 70% chance of rain on Thursday and he said that the most anyone in the entire area should see would be about 1/4 inch so the way I see it, unless we get totally dumped on, we're at the fairgrounds. A little mud be damned.

Jeff_in_KC
04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Fark.

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
04-03-2008, 02:17 PM
I take it your getting rain today to Jeff...

YankeeBBQ
04-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Fark.

Just change the name to Smokin' IN the Creek

Just Pulin' Pork
04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Jeff how is it looking? Overland Park is getting mist all day it seems. Hope you guys are getting the mist and not heavier rain.

smknwhlswife
04-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Just change the name to Smokin' IN the Creek

That's funny!!!:lol:

The Pickled Pig
04-03-2008, 03:30 PM
For those of us unfamiliar with the metropolis of Pleasant Hill, how do we get to the fairgrounds?

matthew burt
04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
For those of us unfamiliar with the metropolis of Pleasant Hill, how do we get to the fairgrounds?

here is what Jeff sent me.

Easiest is to give you directions... ocme out 50 hwy east to 7 Hwy south (about 4 to 5 miles east of Lee's Summit). Go south on 7 Hwy about 5 miles (sign says 8 but that's way wrong). When you get to Pleasant Hill, there is a stop light right at the city limit on 7. Go through that one and one more ay Sugarland Drive and VV Hwy. Continue on 7 Hwy until the hwy drops down hill and you will come to a third light at Myrtle by Sav-a-Lot foods and Dollar General. Keep on going to the flashing light. that's Cedar and you can only turn right. Go right on Cedar about 3/4 mile to a stopsigh and turn left. That's Veteran's Parkway. It winds in front of some old buildings then the post office, veterans memorial and police station all on youtr left. it curves to the right and crosses the train tracks. After the tracks, you'll cross 1st and 2nd streets then kind of veer right onto Commercial (which is also 58 Hwy West). Go about half mile to the fairgrounds on the left.

The Pickled Pig
04-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Google is my friend...
http://www.pleasanthill.com/CassCountyFair/Map/tabid/242/Default.aspx

Jeff_in_KC
04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Paul, all that was sent in the info packet to the email you supplied us with your entry form.

It's not good but it could have been worse. Still misting a lot here but good news is is should be close to done. Bring extra shoes, mud boots and plenty of dry socks.

Fark.

KC_Bobby
04-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Will non-participates, volunteers, judges, etc be parking in a paved/gravel lot or on grass? Courious so I know if I should drive big blue or little blue.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Will non-participates, volunteers, judges, etc be parking in a paved/gravel lot or on grass? Courious so I know if I should drive big blue or little blue.

Bring the bigger of the 2. You might have to tow people out! :-D Bobby in case you do not know who this is I helped with the judging class that Jeff cooked for in Plesant Hill.

Que'inKC
04-03-2008, 09:34 PM

From what Jeff showed me, we'll be parking in a back lot way back behind the stage...But I'm not sure what the surface is..

I'll be onsite tomorrow at 8:00am to help get things setup, so I'll know better in the morning.

Jeff_in_KC
04-04-2008, 12:25 AM
We had about six teams get in tonight. First team to show up: Jeff Stehney and Slaughterhouse Five - Stuck... Two different vehicles. But they were a motorhome (which I didn't know he was bringing) and an enclosed trailer loaded with smokers (around 8 thousand pounds). No one else had a problem getting in but all the other motorhomes and 5th wheelers pretty much stayed on gravel. Quau is happy... he's about 20 yards from turn-in. :lol: OK, I'm BEAT and tomorrow is a long day. Later guys.

Plowboy
04-04-2008, 12:28 AM
We had about six teams get in tonight. First team to show up: Jeff Stehney and Slaughterhouse Five - Stuck... Two different vehicles. But they were a motorhome (which I didn't know he was bringing) and an enclosed trailer loaded with smokers (around 8 thousand pounds). No one else had a problem getting in but all the other motorhomes and 5th wheelers pretty much stayed on gravel. Quau is happy... he's about 20 yards from turn-in. :lol: OK, I'm BEAT and tomorrow is a long day. Later guys.

You wanna piss him off... make him team #1 on his boxes. :twisted: Seriously, I've seen him FLIP over that.

Jeff_in_KC
04-04-2008, 12:40 AM
You wanna piss him off... make him team #1 on his boxes. :twisted: Seriously, I've seen him FLIP over that.

Woz? Or Stehney? :lol:

Plowboy
04-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Woz? Or Stehney? :lol:

Woz :wink:

Sledneck
04-04-2008, 04:59 AM
Good luck guys

KC_Bobby
04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Today is like BBQ Christmas eve/opening day! I'm all giddy and I'm not even competing.

Good luck to all, see ya out there this evening.

Plowboy
04-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Today is like BBQ Christmas eve/opening day! I'm all giddy and I'm not even competing.

Good luck to all, see ya out there this evening.

For me, it's kinda like my wedding night. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing, but I'm pretty excited to be there.

Solidkick
04-04-2008, 12:59 PM
For me, it's kinda like my wedding night. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing, but I'm pretty excited to be there.

Image.....leave my mind........quickly!

I've been antcy nervous all morning knowing all you guys are cooking this weekend......T and I was going to try and judge, but I had forgotten I had made a commitment to watch the grandkids this weekend.....

To all.....best of luck, do what you do best, and show the class of Brethren that we all know you are!

bbqbull
04-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Good Luck Jeff!

Sledneck
04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Good luck guys! Brethren sweep!!!

Jeff_in_KC
04-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Just ran home to pick up a few bottles of wine... the weather has turned out GREAT! I'm working my ass off! I'll never complain about an organizer again! LOL! We got 52 of the 54 teams in and no problems! Things have dried out pretty decent in most places. Gotta run! I'll try to get a post of results as soon as possible!

Later!

Jorge
04-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Somebody did well! Congrats!

we'll smoke u
04-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Rumor has it that Ployboy got GC way to go big boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It must have been that new trailer.

Bigdog
04-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Rumor has it that Ployboy got GC way to go big boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that is true, that would be awesome.8-)

KC_Bobby
04-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Todd and Andy cleaned up, 4 calls. Other Brethren also got multiple walks:
Bubba and Jeff - 2 calls
Great Grills - 2 or 3 calls and a top 10
R Butts are Smokin - 2 calls and a top 10
Pickled Pig - 2 calls, forgot if they got a top 10 or not
and Mo Kan Meatheads a call and a top 10

(if memory serves me correct)

Jorge
04-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Or the Goose. Wish I'd remembered to call them at 3 AM!

DeanC
04-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Congrats Todd, all the Brethern who walked, and Jeff for what sounds like a great contest. Wish I could have been there.

Rub
04-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Nice going everyone, and especially PlowBoys on the GC!

stan
04-05-2008, 09:49 PM
It was a sunny day today but a little chilli! The contest was great and I think is was a great event for all.

A big congrats to Todd and Andy for the win!

What was not mentioned was all the Brethren Kids Qers that walked!

Michael Johns (Little Plowboy a 4th and 3rd place) That was awesome to see him run up for the trophy!

Taylor Stith ended up competing with the older kids and getting calls I think a 3rd and 4th!

I hope that everyone had a great time! Congrats to all the Brethren that competed. It was a tough field.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-05-2008, 10:26 PM
It was a sunny day today but a little chilli! The contest was great and I think is was a great event for all.

A big congrats to Todd and Andy for the win!

What was not mentioned was all the Brethren Kids Qers that walked!

Michael Johns (Little Plowboy a 4th and 3rd place) That was awesome to see him run up for the trophy!

Taylor Stith ended up competing with the older kids and getting calls I think a 3rd and 4th!

I hope that everyone had a great time! Congrats to all the Brethren that competed. It was a tough field.

Well said! Our first time doing this contest and I would strongly encourage anyone who has not done this conest to do it next year. Although a little chilly, it was alot of fun. Congrats to all the kids that was awesome seeing all them win. Congrats Todd and Andy!

Que'inKC
04-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I must say it was a GREAT contest...I had the pleasure of spending most of the last 2 days with these boys volunteering...It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot...

Thanks guys!!!

Congrats again to Todd and Andy and all of the Brethren guys who got calls!!!!

slat
04-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Congrats to everyone that got to walk.

Plowboy
04-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Damn, Jorge! I wish you would have!!!!! Our cooker went out at about 12a-1a while we were asleep. Andy went out at 4:45a and found the FEC at 40 degrees!!! :eek: He busts into the camper and yells, "TODD, GET UP! THE COOKER WENT OUT!"

Not a bad recovery, though.

Jeff_in_KC
04-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Thank you SO much to all who attended, helped out by volunteering or cooked! We had a GREAT time with this event. Worked our tails off but we have a new appreciation for what goes into putting on a quality event. Fantastic Brethren Showing! And I REALLY appreciate all our volunteers, especially our Brethren! Vern, Jeff, Bob, Matt, Kim, You guys ROCK! I'm exhausted so God, I hope I didn't leave someone out! Stan, Aimee, Jamey, me and the rest of our committee thank you!

Congrats to Todd and Andy! You all were incredible today! GREAT job!

Chicken:

10. Mad Hogs and an Englishman
9. Munchin Hogs @ the Hilton
8. R Butts R Smokin'
7. Wild Blue
6. Rubbin' It - Lovin' It BBQ
5. Squeal of Approval
4. Lil' Fiddlers Smokin'
3. Great Grills O' Fire
2. Pork Pullin' Plowboys
1. Bubba and Jeff's BBQ

Ribs:

10. Great Grills O' Fire
9. MoKan Meatheads
8. Rubbin' It - Lovin' It
7. Dodge County Smokers
6. Jeanie's Got Wood
5. Munchin Hogs @ the Hilton
4. Pork Pullin' Plowboys
3. Park Avenue Pork
2. Wild Blue
1. Butts-a-Fire

Pork:

10. Great Grills O' Fire
9. Bare Bones BBQ Team
8. The Pickled Pig
7. Bubba and Jeff's BBQ
6. Midwest Scuba-Que
5. Pork Patrol
4. Smokin' Guns
3. Caveman Cuisine
2. Pork Pullin' Plowboys
1. Squeal of Approval

Brisket:

10. Andy's BBQ
9. Rabbit Gulch Farm Cookers
8. Smokin' Guns
7. T's Smokin' Pit
6. Pork Pullin' Plowboys
5. Dodge County Smokers
4. Wild Blue
3. R Butts R Smokin'
2. The Pickled Pig
1. Great Grills O' Fire

Overall:

10. MoKan Meatheads
9. Pork Patrol
8. Rubbin' It - Lovin' It BBQ
7. Bubba and Jeff's BBQ
6. Dodge County Smokers
5. Munchin' Hogs @ the Hilton
4. R Butts R Smokin'
3. Great Grills O' Fire
RGC - Wild Blue
GC - Pork Pullin' Plowboys

matthew burt
04-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Damn, Jorge! I wish you would have!!!!! Our cooker went out at about 12a-1a while we were asleep. Andy went out at 4:45a and found the FEC at 40 degrees!!! :eek: He busts into the camper and yells, "TODD, GET UP! THE COOKER WENT OUT!"

you the Man, congradulations guys

Plowboy
04-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Jeff, Aimee, & Jamie and all the volunteers -

Very well run contest. The volunteers were the best part from my perspective. They we so helpful in getting water, taking trash, helping teams on the far side of the field get to turn in. Superb.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Jeff, Aimee, & Jamie and all the volunteers -

Very well run contest. The volunteers were the best part from my perspective. They we so helpful in getting water, taking trash, helping teams on the far side of the field get to turn in. Superb.

Congrats to both of you. You kids wining the kids Q was priceless.

HoDeDo
04-05-2008, 11:08 PM

Jorge - Todd and I talked about making some early morning calls :twisted: We could have used one.... I got up to start my 4 hr brisket @ 4:45 - and the FEC had snuffed itself out. Pellets piled everywhere. But, we caught it early enough we had plenty of time for recovery.

Wish I had a camera for the look on Todd's face when the puppy was out.:eek:

you the Man, congradulations guys

Matt - thanks for the impromptu plumbing effort on Friday. I liked having functional sinks today 8-)

Guys - Jeff put on one HECK of a contest. The volunteers (largely brethren) were out in force. Getting water, snagging trash, shining shoes.... you name it, they were doing it. I heard many of the teams say they were very impressed with the hospitality, and friendliness of the folks putting this on. All true statements. Kudos Jeff - even with some of the static going on in the back ground (weather, etc) you nailed it brother..... And you choice in judges was stellar 8-)

I always enjoy cooking with Todd, and we have enjoyed calls in the past.... but in this field of cookers, we would have been happy with any calls. There is so much respect for alot of the teams out there, I still havent come down from the high.

HoDeDo
04-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Kim will be posting some pics shortly... I have to go run naked in the streets... with our GC belt, and a jayhawk hat on. Go JAYHAWKS!!!!

Plowboy
04-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Check out what the Rock's been cookin'!! I pryed this away from Andy in order to get a picture.

Plowboy
04-05-2008, 11:16 PM
I liked this belt better... (Jeff of Bubba & Jeff's)

Bigdog
04-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Kim will be posting some pics shortly... I have to go run naked in the streets... with our GC belt, and a jayhawk hat on. Go JAYHAWKS!!!!

Congrats guys and congrats to the Boys in Blue too.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Big Mike
04-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Congrats to all the brethren that was an outstanding showing.

Sledneck
04-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Congratulagtions! I was going to call you guys about 2AM but fell asleep.

Plowboy
04-05-2008, 11:28 PM

Why do I feel like we are going to get 25 calls next contest at 3am?

Check out the mutant money muscle in our pork box today! http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40428

HoDeDo
04-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Some pics....
Check out the look on Michael's face... Kid's Que addict here we come!!!
Chicken walk
Pork Walk
Only reach around I ever want to get from Todd 8-)
Todd's new rig, and our new hardware
The Belt...

You rock Todd!!!

HoDeDo
04-05-2008, 11:41 PM

I' can't wait for that call next contest :cool:

SmokeInDaEye
04-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Congrats Todd and Andy on the much deserved victory! And to Jeff on what sounds like and amazing contest!

thenewguy
04-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Congrats Guys! Looks like an awesome time was had by all!
So...uhh....can I touch your belt for good luck?

Knothead
04-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Congratulations Todd and Andy the farkin Belt is sweet. Todd I'll take a case of that yardbird rub now.:-D

Knothead
04-06-2008, 07:30 AM
With the Championship Belt you guys need an entourage and theme music for your next contest

billm
04-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Congrats to all the Brethren who got calls!

Paola Greg
04-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Congrats Todd and Andy and to all our other friends there called to the stage!

Pig Headed
04-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Congrats to Todd & Andy and all brethren who walked. This was a great weekend for the Brethren. 2 GC's in one weekend!!:-P

butts a fire
04-06-2008, 09:42 AM
First of all I want to thank Jeff, Aimee, and everyone else that made this contest happen. It was a great contest and we had a great time.

Also, Congrats to all of the brethren teams that walked yeaterday, It felt like almost every name they called was a brethren name. Great showing. And a special congrats to Todd and Andy for their GC what a way to start the year.

bbqbull
04-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Congrats to all the brethren who helped run this contest as well as all the folks who took the walk!

BBQ_Mayor
04-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Congrats Todd and Andy! And lets not forget Michael. I bet he had a great time and ready for the next one, just like Dad.

Roo-B-Q'N
04-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Congrats to all the Brethren that took walks. Great Showing! Congrats esp. to Todd and Andy. Now I am looking forward to gettting my GC since my trailer will be done here soon :wink::rolleyes:.

Jeff way to go with organizing the contest. Time to start on next years.

parrothead
04-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Grats to all. Good showing.

The Pickled Pig
04-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Great job Todd and Andy! That was a huge win over an impressive field.

The Pickled Pig
04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks to Jeff, Aimee, and all of the volunteers for such a great contest experience. It was the best run contest we've ever done.

SloppyQ
04-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Congrats to Todd and Andy and all the other Brethren that walked. That was about as good a contest as it gets, Jeff, Aimee, Jamie, and all the othe volunteers did a great job, thanks.

Solidkick
04-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Awesome job Andy and Todd! There is no doubt the midwest has some premier bbq competitors.

Congrats to all that walked!

Jeff_in_KC
04-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks to Jeff, Aimee, and all of the volunteers for such a great contest experience. It was the best run contest we've ever done.

Thank you, Paul, I'm incredibly honored that you'd say that but there's a lot of good events out there. I know you have cooked the GAB and we could only dream of accomplishing what Tracy Satterfield and her staff do every year.

clubjoe
04-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Jeff, you and your staff did one farking good job!!! Already looking forward to next yr.

Jeff_in_KC
04-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey guys, y'all keep addressing me a lot but Stan, Jamey and Aimee are all Brethren as well and I do not want any credit coming my way without those folks being given equal mention please... we all (including my wife Tammy and Scott George, our local parks director) shared in the efforts to put on the absolute best event for you all that we could. I'm so happy you guys think we succeeded... just wanted to be sure that credit went where credit is due! Thanks! :wink:

SinginBob
04-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I have to add my congrats to Todd and Andy--Super job, lads!!

Jeff, Aimee, Stan et al., helluva great competition! Thanks for all your hard work!

Plowboy
04-06-2008, 02:06 PM
I have to add my congrats to Todd and Andy--Super job, lads!!

Jeff, Aimee, Stan et al., helluva great competition! Thanks for all your hard work!

Fear the Pig!!!! Strong Brethren finishes overall.

5 of top 6 in brisket - Brethren
5 of top 10 in pork - Brethren
5 of top 10 ribs - Brethren (Including 1st for Butt a Fire!)
1,2,3, 9 in chicken - brethren
1,3,4,6,7,9 overall - Brethren

Kudos to Great Grills and R Butts R Smokin' for 3rd and 4th overall. Four calls for Mark/Becky.

The Pickled Pig brisket must have been outstanding!!!

So proud of all of you. Brethren hats and banners everywhere. :eusa_clap

scottyd
04-06-2008, 02:23 PM
My goodness the Brothers had a big weekend.

All I got to do was cook for the training of 40 new certified BBQ judges. There were 3 of us cooks making to food for this class. In realty My Pork was sub par. I think I got 3rd. Just kidding. It was good and Ed Roith did a good job teaching the class. Jack Gibbs is a hoot also.

Once again good job to all who got calls I wish I could have been there for a few of those ribbons.

Plowboy
04-06-2008, 03:39 PM
With the Championship Belt you guys need an entourage and theme music for your next contest

I hear Andy already has a feather boa to wear with the belt next contest. Kim wants a matching purse.

smknwhlswife
04-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Kim wants a matching purse.

Yep.....But you'd better order 2, one for me and one for Audrey, when you order the second belt.

Jeff@KC
04-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Andy and Todd you guys rule! I have never been prouder. Keep it rollin' my brothers!!!

SP
04-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Nice work Todd and Andy. Keep up the good work, until GAB that is.

tonto1117
04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Congratulations Todd and Andy!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clapWay to go!!! Also a big congrat's to all that walked!!! 8)

Todd, that's a wonderfull picture of you and Michael with his award...he must have been soooo excited! :wink:

Jeff, you must be beat tired. Big congrat's on what sounds like it was a fantasticly succesfull event!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Bigmista
04-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Way to go guys! I'm proud of you!!

jbrink01
04-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Todd,
You da' man! Great job. I gotta know, did "chunky" or that other thing "think John and Ponch" play a role in the win? I hope so!

Plowboy
04-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Todd,
You da' man! Great job. I gotta know, did "chunky" or that other thing "think John and Ponch" play a role in the win? I hope so!

Uh... no. :roll:

jbrink01
04-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Good answer! Way to go brother, awesome. I'm going to live vicariously through you this year, as the business side of Q has taken a big role in my life, and there looks to be no contests in my future until maybe way late in the year. Have fun!

KC_Bobby
04-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Can someone please post the overall top 10 scores?

thanks

The Pickled Pig
04-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Can someone please post the overall top 10 scores?

thanks

I know you only asked for 10 but 11 is a much better number.:wink:

1) Plowboys - 668.0002
2) Wild Blue - 659.4282
3) Great Grills O'Fire - 658.8570
4) R Butts R Smokin - 645.7146
5) Munchin Hog - 642.2856
6) Dodge County Smokers - 640.5710
7) Bubba & Jeff - 635.9992
8 ) Rubbin-It-Lovin It - 634.2852
9) Pork Patrol - 626.2856
10) Mokan Meatheads - 626.2854
11) The Pickled Pig - 625.7142

HoDeDo
04-06-2008, 11:02 PM
You know that's right Paul!!!!

Thanks again to everyone for all the congrats -- it means more than you know.

1) Plowboys - 668.0002
2) Wild Blue - 659.4282

Plowboy
04-06-2008, 11:43 PM

1) Plowboys - 668.0002
2) Wild Blue - 659.4282

Paul - I didn't know that you took 11th!!! That rocks!

<Andy took the scores AND the belt mod :cool:>

HoDeDo
04-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Paul - I didn't know that you took 11th!!! That rocks!

<Andy took the scores AND the belt mod :cool:>

That reminds me... Since I am wearing it to work:rolleyes:, you are welcome to show it off tomorrow... I can drop it off for you.

Kim will be tired of me wearing it to bed by then. :twisted: or NOT....8-)

Plowboy
04-07-2008, 12:06 AM
That reminds me... Since I am wearing it to work:rolleyes:, you are welcome to show it off tomorrow... I can drop it off for you.

Kim will be tired of me wearing it to bed by then. :twisted: or NOT....8-)

Sure, bring it by. Audrey says she wants a turn, too. :twisted: (Not with YOU wearing the belt, though.) Only problem is that I'll need an extension. :icon_blush: They need to make those in elastic for us fat farkers.

Rookie'48
04-07-2008, 12:45 AM
I just got home this evening, but wanted to add my $0.02 here. It looked like a great contest everywhere I turned. To see & hear all those calls going out to Brethren was just farkin' GREAT!!! Watching the Kids Q winners get their calls was like seeing my own g-kids on stage (tear in eye mod). Congrats to all of the organizers, volunteers & competitors on an excellent weekend.

"Fear da Pig!"

ps - Jeff, ya gotta do sumthin' about that mud:rolleyes:.

tonto1117
04-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Sure, bring it by. Audrey says she wants a turn, too. :twisted: (Not with YOU wearing the belt, though.) Only problem is that I'll need an extension. :icon_blush: They need to make those in elastic for us fat farkers.

LOL...BbqBubba showed us last year that was one of a bungee cords many uses..:lol::mrgreen:

PigBoy
04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Good answer! Way to go brother, awesome. I'm going to live vicariously through you this year, as the business side of Q has taken a big role in my life, and there looks to be no contests in my future until maybe way late in the year. Have fun!

That's where I'm at, too, Jeff. I have to vend or cater everyweekend that I can to make ends meet. It's so great to get the calls from Todd that start with- "Guess what?". I'm so proud of Todd and Andy, and especially Michael!

j

KC_Bobby
04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
ps - Jeff, ya gotta do sumthin' about that mud:rolleyes:.

Mud? How about the lack of desserts for the judges? :eek:

This was the second time I ever judged and it was an awesome experience from the standpoint of also being a competitor. It was great to see 100% CBJ's and even having some "waiting list" CBJ's show to guarentee 100% CBJ. And from what I observed I believe all the judges took their task very seriously and diligently. Meet some good peeps!

Jamey - kudo's for that!

And of course overall kudo's to the entire committee and all the volunteers, other then a few muddle puddles everything seemed to go great. Plenty of restrooms, quiet generators, nice clean inside judging area, sun.

But, how bout some desserts for the judges after the brisket next year? :biggrin:

Plowboy
04-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Mud? How about the lack of desserts for the judges? :eek:

This was the second time I ever judged and it was an awesome experience from the standpoint of also being a competitor. It was great to see 100% CBJ's and even having some "waiting list" CBJ's show to guarentee 100% CBJ. And from what I observed I believe all the judges took their task very seriously and diligently. Meet some good peeps!

Jamey - kudo's for that!

And of course overall kudo's to the entire committee and all the volunteers, other then a few muddle puddles everything seemed to go great. Plenty of restrooms, quiet generators, nice clean inside judging area, sun.

But, how bout some desserts for the judges after the brisket next year? :biggrin:

You guys all should have brought huge coolers just to piss with Jeff. :twisted:

Ron_L
04-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Congrats to all of the Brethren and to Jeff but an especially huge congrats to Todd and Andy! Great job, guys!

BUT... Most important, an even huger congrats have to go to Michael! Great job on your first competition! I'll bet everyone loved the Plowkids logo.

Captain Caveman
04-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Good Job Todd and Andy!
Congrats to all the bretheren.
Jeff, Great contest, no complaints, very nicely ran.
I wish I could have met some more of the brethren who were there.

Jeff_in_KC
04-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Good Job Todd and Andy!
Congrats to all the bretheren.
Jeff, Great contest, no complaints, very nicely ran.
I wish I could have met some more of the brethren who were there.

Now how the hell did you get out of town without me getting to meet you, bro??? I am so sorry I did not get to meet everyone! Geez! Way too many irons in the fire I guess! :lol: One thing I noticed... a lot of teams did not really have banners identifying them at the contest and we only had one copy of the site layout... copier here out of ink. :mad: That was with either Stan or Blue Springs Jeff (not quite sure where it ended up) so I wasn't sure where everyone was once it got full.

Captain Caveman
04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Now how the hell did you get out of town without me getting to meet you, bro??? I am so sorry I did not get to meet everyone! Geez! Way too many irons in the fire I guess! :lol: One thing I noticed... a lot of teams did not really have banners identifying them at the contest and we only had one copy of the site layout... copier here out of ink. :mad: That was with either Stan or Blue Springs Jeff (not quite sure where it ended up) so I wasn't sure where everyone was once it got full.

we didn't have a banner, just our name on our smoker that was hidden behind a white enclosed trailer.

Aimee
04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
I just wanted to take a moment and tell everyone THANK YOU SO MUCH! As I told you Friday and Saturday and I will say it again, The Brain Injury Association can't do this without you! It is because of teams such as yourselves, the volunteers, Jamey, Jeff, Stan, Amy, Tammy, Scott and everyone involved we are able to do what we do and award scholarships to two seniors in high school that have suffered from a traumatic brain injury. Each and everyone of you deserve a pat on the back for playing such a vital role in sending two kids to college. You should be darn proud of yourselves.

This organization is very near and dear to my heart, and it makes me feel so good that great people such as yourselves have helped form such a wonderful community to help such a great cause.

I didn't get to meet some of you, but hope to see you at other competitions where I can sit down and chit chat and relax. The Brain Injury Association, myself and our survivors are very blessed to have such support from the Brethren, and all the teams. We couldn't have picked a better community of family and friends to help us in our endeavors. Congratulations GOES OUT TO ALL THE TEAMS for making such an impact on our community, survivors and myself included. You are all winners as far as I am concerned.

Way to go Pork Pullin Plow Boys, Great Grills.....I hope you enjoy your trophies congratulations to all that walked and were called. I am so proud of all the kids that walked....kudos to them, what an achievement! (I may have to look up some of those little ones and get a few pointers from them on how to cook) You all did a great job. Just wished I could have eaten more BBQ while I was there.....LOL!!!!

One more person to recognize JAMEY JOHNSON did an awesome job with the CBJ's. He worked hard in making sure we had a full field of 100% CBJ's across the board for a level playing field in judging. It is extremely rare that a competition is able to pull off a full field of CBJ's.....especially given 54 teams. I appreciate Jamey's dedication, hard work, determination, and drive in getting this done. Jamey has not only been competing but has also been organizing far longer than I have....I rely heavily on his experience and advice.....he has partnered with me from the get go on this competition and has had to put up with alot.....(we won't get specific) So thank you so much Jamey your the best.

Again thank you for your support and help....I am extending my sincere thanks, gratitude and appreciation to each and everyone of you! You have made such a difference in so many lives! You are all amazing people!

I will post some pictures.....as soon as possible.

Que'inKC
04-07-2008, 01:24 PM

Jeff...they were on the back side, around 14 or 15...Great bunch of people...

I think Stan has the sheet...Last time I saw it, it was sitt'in over by his Farmers Trailer...

Captain Caveman
04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
We were right next to the all night party (but slept through it.)

Plowboy
04-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I just wanted to take a moment and tell everyone THANK YOU SO MUCH! As I told you Friday and Saturday and I will say it again, The Brain Injury Association can't do this without you! It is because of teams such as yourselves, the volunteers, Jamey, Jeff, Stan, Amy, Tammy, Scott and everyone involved we are able to do what we do and award scholarships to two seniors in high school that have suffered from a traumatic brain injury. Each and everyone of you deserve a pat on the back for playing such a vital role in sending two kids to college. You should be darn proud of yourselves.

This organization is very near and dear to my heart, and it makes me feel so good that great people such as yourselves have helped form such a wonderful community to help such a great cause.

I didn't get to meet some of you, but hope to see you at other competitions where I can sit down and chit chat and relax. The Brain Injury Association, myself and our survivors are very blessed to have such support from the Brethren, and all the teams. We couldn't have picked a better community of family and friends to help us in our endeavors. Congratulations GOES OUT TO ALL THE TEAMS for making such an impact on our community, survivors and myself included. You are all winners as far as I am concerned.

Way to go Pork Pullin Plow Boys, Great Grills.....I hope you enjoy your trophies congratulations to all that walked and were called. I am so proud of all the kids that walked....kudos to them, what an achievement! (I may have to look up some of those little ones and get a few pointers from them on how to cook) You all did a great job. Just wished I could have eaten more BBQ while I was there.....LOL!!!!

One more person to recognize JAMEY JOHNSON did an awesome job with the CBJ's. He worked hard in making sure we had a full field of 100% CBJ's across the board for a level playing field in judging. It is extremely rare that a competition is able to pull off a full field of CBJ's.....especially given 54 teams. I appreciate Jamey's dedication, hard work, determination, and drive in getting this done. Jamey has not only been competing but has also been organizing far longer than I have....I rely heavily on his experience and advice.....he has partnered with me from the get go on this competition and has had to put up with alot.....(we won't get specific) So thank you so much Jamey your the best.

Again thank you for your support and help....I am extending my sincere thanks, gratitude and appreciation to each and everyone of you! You have made such a difference in so many lives! You are all amazing people!

I will post some pictures.....as soon as possible.

Aimee, we heard that you were taking the contest back to Columbia next year. Is that true?

When's your date with Wayne? :twisted:

Diva
04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I, too, heard that they were going to move it back to Columbia. I wouldn't know why since the number of teams went up almost three-fold from 20 to 54.

BIG KUDOS to JEFF & TAMMY STITH and STAN & AMY HAYES for all their hard work to put on the contest. I went out there Thursday night to drop off the pit and they were the only two out there going through the muck to help people get placed. I don't think this contest would have gone off as smoothly as it did had it not been for those folks.

scottyd
04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
huh!! back to Columbia?

I thought the whole reason it came this way was lack of room.

All I have heard is great reviews. So Great Job everyone. and wish I would have been there.

But we had a Judging School to do, and we now have 40 CBJ's in South Dakota, and around close.

Aimee
04-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I, too, heard that they were going to move it back to Columbia. I wouldn't know why since the number of teams went up almost three-fold from 20 to 54.

BIG KUDOS to Jeff & Tammy Stith and Stan & Amy Hayes for all their hard work to put on the contest. I went out there Thursday night to drop off the pit and they were the only two out there going through the muck to help people get placed. I don't think this contest would have gone off as smoothly as it did had it not been for those folks.

Before everyone gets upset....there are a few things I need to clarify. YES I agree, Tammy, Jeff, Stan and Amy did a tremendous job. I couldn't have asked for better people to help with this competition. We did have 34 teams last year at the Bass Pro Shop and the number did increase this year. However, Central Missouri teams are growing, not only that but we have pulled teams from other States in the past and continue to do so, including, NE, FL, AR, IL, KS, and IA, other than the first year. If any of you have organized a competition you know all of the hard work that goes into it. It is even more difficult (which I didn't take into consideration from the get go on this) to organize something that is not located in your own back yard. It is extremely difficult to keep tabs on everything....and as you said in your thread above "You went out there Thursday night to drop off the pit and they were the only two out there going through the muck to help people get placed." I unfortunately did not have the ability to come up there on Thursday or I would have, had it been in Columbia, I could have.

I don't think and I know I didn't consider the difficulty I would have trying to organize an event from Columbia, and having it in another location. The reason for even moving the event in the first place was for the following: #1 Our organization encompasses the entire State of Missouri, we are trying to support our survivors throughout the entire State. #2 I needed more help and did receive that (there is no question there) with that said it is still extremely difficult to do what I have to from 140 miles away from Pleasant Hill. #3 We needed a larger venue, we did get that as well. I appreciate all the teams that participated and the Parks and Rec board for allowing us to have it at the Cass County Fairgrounds.

With all of this said, I have already spoken to a few people in Pleasant Hill, just because BIA has chosen to move the competition back to Columbia, (For the mere fact that it is easier for me)......I have offered to organize another competition in Pleasant Hill. The difference being....we would help out a local charity or organization there....it would be much easier for me because that charity/organization would be responsible in soliciting funds for sponsors etc....we would continue with a BBQ Competition in Pleasant Hill probably the same date, and we would make it an annual event. The only difference is we would be helping a local charity/organization and not the Brain Injury Association.

I am personally responsible for BIA of Missouri at any event I choose to oversee. It is much easier for me if I can organize something for BIA where I live.

If Pleasant Hill and the teams would like to continue with an annual event, I am all for it, I have even volunteered to organize it. I do not want to see a good thing go away. That is why I suggested helping local organizations, let thier representatives of thier organization do a lot of the leg work in raising money for the event.

I will be happy to continue with this event in helping the local community. You as teams will still continue to help a great cause (a not-for-profit) and have a BBQ Competition. And I will do all that I can to insure the success of the competition and the awareness of the organization Pleasant Hill chooses to support.

With that said.....yes we will have another competition in Pleasant Hill next year.....yes it will be just as fun as this one, we are just going to be supporting another organization.

If you have any questions please let me know.

stan
04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
WOW! I heard the rumor but thought we might get a heads up if that were true!

We will have a contest next year everyone! No worries!

Plowboy
04-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for laying it out, Aimee.

But my real question is when is the date with Wayne?

Contacted Marty to get another belt so Andy and I can have one each. Nice guy. Thanks for having that card handy.

HoDeDo
04-07-2008, 09:13 PM
That's where I'm at, too, Jeff. I have to vend or cater everyweekend that I can to make ends meet. It's so great to get the calls from Todd that start with- "Guess what?". I'm so proud of Todd and Andy, and especially Michael!

Thanks Randy - Means alot to me. I'm privileged to have the opportunity of cooking with you guys.

BIG KUDOS to JEFF & TAMMY STITH and STAN & AMY HAYES for all their hard work to put on the contest. I went out there Thursday night to drop off the pit and they were the only two out there going through the muck to help people get placed. I don't think this contest would have gone off as smoothly as it did had it not been for those folks.

Ditto that, The Pleasant Hill crew, and all the Volunteers that came out to help (Vern, Jeff, Matt, etc) really made this event something special. I almost felt bad if I didnt have trash to give the guys on gators. 8-) Vern must have gone after water for us 3 or 4 times. Once I came back and the water container was just full!! Tammy was making the breakfast for the volunteers when I was walking around at 5:00am. Stellar crew.

When's your date with Wayne? :twisted: <denial mod>

WOW! I heard the rumor but thought we might get a heads up if that were true! We will have a contest next year everyone! No worries!
Obviously a special place for me - I can't even find words to explain how I feel about getting the GC with Todd. Surrounded by folks I have the deepest respect for - I wouldnt miss this Pleasant Hill event or the fun we had with all our friends. Looking forward to next year already. I hear the GC's get an automatic entry back to P.Hill next year....:twisted:

Plowboy
04-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I hear the GC's get an automatic entry back to P.Hill next year....:twisted:

Stan - Don't make us put the belts on and drop a pile driver on you from the top rope!! :twisted:

HoDeDo
04-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Stan - Don't make us put the belts on and drop a pile driver on you from the top rope!! :twisted:

TAG TEAM!!!!!! :twisted::twisted:

Plowboy
04-07-2008, 09:32 PM
TAG TEAM!!!!!! :twisted::twisted:

You officially need to change your avatar now.

HoDeDo
04-07-2008, 09:53 PM
hmmm... Scotty 2 Hottie and Rashiki??? hmmm Dudley boyz.... You ready for this??

http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/wwetag/330120

stan
04-07-2008, 10:15 PM
I was thinking you two looked closer to these two wrestlers!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i107/mitzi_rossy/Others/Bushwhackers.jpg

Plowboy
04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I was thinking you two looked closer to these two wrestlers!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i107/mitzi_rossy/Others/Bushwhackers.jpg

That's it, Stan. We are going to rain down on you like a pack of spider monkeys!! :evil:

HoDeDo
04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
That's it, Stan. We are going to rain down on you like a pack of spider monkeys!! :evil:

Spider-pig.... Spider-pig.....does whatever a spider pig can!!!! <homer mod>

Whoop there it is.... Whoop there it is.... Tag Team back again... :biggrin:

KC_Bobby
04-07-2008, 10:57 PM
I think this goes without the need to be said, but if Wayne is busy THAT night I'll be happy to help out. After all, it's for the Brain Injury Association.

Rookie'48
04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Wow, Bob, that's reeeeeeeel nice of you:rolleyes:.

ILikeBBQ
04-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Before everyone gets upset....there are a few things I need to clarify. YES I agree, Tammy, Jeff, Stan and Amy did a tremendous job. I couldn't have asked for better people to help with this competition. We did have 34 teams last year at the Bass Pro Shop and the number did increase this year. However, Central Missouri teams are growing, not only that but we have pulled teams from other States in the past and continue to do so, including, NE, FL, AR, IL, KS, and IA, other than the first year. If any of you have organized a competition you know all of the hard work that goes into it. It is even more difficult (which I didn't take into consideration from the get go on this) to organize something that is not located in your own back yard. It is extremely difficult to keep tabs on everything....and as you said in your thread above "You went out there Thursday night to drop off the pit and they were the only two out there going through the muck to help people get placed." I unfortunately did not have the ability to come up there on Thursday or I would have, had it been in Columbia, I could have.

I don't think and I know I didn't consider the difficulty I would have trying to organize an event from Columbia, and having it in another location. The reason for even moving the event in the first place was for the following: #1 Our organization encompasses the entire State of Missouri, we are trying to support our survivors throughout the entire State. #2 I needed more help and did receive that (there is no question there) with that said it is still extremely difficult to do what I have to from 140 miles away from Pleasant Hill. #3 We needed a larger venue, we did get that as well. I appreciate all the teams that participated and the Parks and Rec board for allowing us to have it at the Cass County Fairgrounds.

With all of this said, I have already spoken to a few people in Pleasant Hill, just because BIA has chosen to move the competition back to Columbia, (For the mere fact that it is easier for me)......I have offered to organize another competition in Pleasant Hill. The difference being....we would help out a local charity or organization there....it would be much easier for me because that charity/organization would be responsible in soliciting funds for sponsors etc....we would continue with a BBQ Competition in Pleasant Hill probably the same date, and we would make it an annual event. The only difference is we would be helping a local charity/organization and not the Brain Injury Association.

I am personally responsible for BIA of Missouri at any event I choose to oversee. It is much easier for me if I can organize something for BIA where I live.

If Pleasant Hill and the teams would like to continue with an annual event, I am all for it, I have even volunteered to organize it. I do not want to see a good thing go away. That is why I suggested helping local organizations, let thier representatives of thier organization do a lot of the leg work in raising money for the event.

I will be happy to continue with this event in helping the local community. You as teams will still continue to help a great cause (a not-for-profit) and have a BBQ Competition. And I will do all that I can to insure the success of the competition and the awareness of the organization Pleasant Hill chooses to support.

With that said.....yes we will have another competition in Pleasant Hill next year.....yes it will be just as fun as this one, we are just going to be supporting another organization.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Aimee
04-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for laying it out, Aimee.

But my real question is when is the date with Wayne?

Contacted Marty to get another belt so Andy and I can have one each. Nice guy. Thanks for having that card handy.

You are most certainly welcome! Congratulations! I thank you for your understanding with regard to this. All of you are amazing people, and I appreciate all that you have done for and with this event. I am glad you liked the trophies, I am particularly proud of the work those guys do for us. They are extremely unique which adds to the competition. Marty is a super nice guy and will do an excellent job for you.

One more thing.....before I answer the infamous question about Wayne.....

I want to apologize to any and all of the teams for a few comments that I made on Saturday morning. I can only be responsible for my own actions and what I do and say. The things I said Saturday were out of line, and uncalled for. I want all the teams to know that you are utmost important to me and without (you) the teams we couldn't do what we do. Therefore, I apologize for the things that I said and want you to know that I was wrong for saying what I said. I respect and am proud of each and everyone of you. I am sorry.

NOW for the infamous question.......when you bid on something you have to pay for it........not really sure where the $$$$$$ are.......but until then, sorry no date........LOL!!!!! :grin:

Plowboy
04-08-2008, 10:15 AM
You are most certainly welcome! Congratulations! I thank you for your understanding with regard to this. All of you are amazing people, and I appreciate all that you have done for and with this event. I am glad you liked the trophies, I am particularly proud of the work those guys do for us. They are extremely unique which adds to the competition. Marty is a super nice guy and will do an excellent job for you.

One more thing.....before I answer the infamous question about Wayne.....

I want to apologize to any and all of the teams for a few comments that I made on Saturday morning. I can only be responsible for my own actions and what I do and say. The things I said Saturday were out of line, and uncalled for. I want all the teams to know that you are utmost important to me and without (you) the teams we couldn't do what we do. Therefore, I apologize for the things that I said and want you to know that I was wrong for saying what I said. I respect and am proud of each and everyone of you. I am sorry.

NOW for the infamous question.......when you bid on something you have to pay for it........not really sure where the $$$$$$ are.......but until then, sorry no date........LOL!!!!! :grin:

Guess I missed the Saturday morning press conference. Not sure what you are talking about, but... what is it again that Wayne is paying for exactly? :rolleyes: Just trying to keep us on topic here. :twisted:

Aimee
04-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Guess I missed the Saturday morning press conference. Not sure what you are talking about, but... what is it again that Wayne is paying for exactly? :rolleyes: Just trying to keep us on topic here. :twisted:

Hmmmmmm if I said ONE MEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOON dollars would you believe me? LOL!!!!!!:biggrin:

Aimee
04-08-2008, 10:29 AM

When Wayne pays......the One MEEEEEEELLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOON dollars......we can discuss the rest........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plowboy
04-08-2008, 10:35 AM
When Wayne pays......the One MEEEEEEELLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOON dollars......we can discuss the rest........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every girl has her price I guess. Anything for a good cause. :wink:

Every guy has his price too... $1. :icon_cool

Aimee
04-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Every girl has her price I guess. Anything for a good cause. :wink:

Every guy has his price too... $1. :icon_cool

Very good, does that come with McDonald's coupons? LOL!!!!! You guys are great! I hope you had a good time, and I hope you enjoy your trophies. I will send some pictures as soon as I can get my new camera to work. I need to update some things on my computer to make it compatible with the camera.....kind of bass ackwards.......I know......should have read a little more on the box when I bought the darn thing.....LOL!!!! :icon_smil

Diva
04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Guess I missed the Saturday morning press conference. Not sure what you are talking about,

I believe she's referring to Saturday mornings breakfast conversation in which she was discussing packing up her trophies and her prize purse and going home.

Aimee
04-08-2008, 11:12 AM
I believe she's referring to Saturday mornings breakfast conversation in which she was discussing packing up her trophies and her prize purse and going home.

Yes that is what I was referring to. I did say that. I apologize, it was uncalled for and out of line. I was wrong. I was mad, and had little sleep, non-the-less that is no excuse. I was wrong, I will fully admit to that. I am responsible for my actions, and I am apologizing wholeheartedly for that comment.

I would never do anything of the sort, although I said I would, I would never in anyway do anything like that. Again I do apologize, I was wrong, and I did not handle the situation in a professional manner. I should have never even utter those words. I do apologize publicly to each and every one of the teams. There is a time and place for everything, that was not the time nor the place, and those words should never have even been spoken whether in public or private. However, the entire situation should have never taken place and I do apologize. Again, it was unprofessional and I did not handle myself well at all.

Jeff_in_KC
04-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Thanks again for your support this year! Things will be fine in 2009.

scottyd
04-09-2008, 05:00 PM

I did that with my Lego's back 35+ years ago and I still have a few friends that will not talk to me.

Just Kidding, it's all good we all have done some things we are not proud of, and said things too. Life goes on, sounds like everything went well.

I am sorry I had to miss this ledgenday contest. Good luck in the future to all. I am sure Both contests next year will be a HOOT.

See ya in the Smoke Scotty D:wink:

Plowboy
04-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I did that with my Lego's back 35+ years ago and I still have a few friends that will not talk to me.

Just Kidding, it's all good we all have done some things we are not proud of, and said things too. Life goes on, sounds like everything went well.

I am sorry I had to miss this ledgenday contest. Good luck in the future to all. I am sure Both contests next year will be a HOOT.

See ya in the Smoke Scotty D:wink:

There's always Suga' Creek. :wink: I'll wear my Jack Links shirt. If you have an extra for Andy, we could be triplets. :biggrin:

HoDeDo
04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
There's always Suga' Creek. :wink: I'll wear my Jack Links shirt. If you have an extra for Andy, we could be triplets. :biggrin:

Did you say TRIPLE TEAM???? :twisted: Day-um... I'm gonna get to drop elbows, forearms, woo hoo!!! Too bad I can't wear the belt while I am doing it!!8-)

Plowboy
04-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Too bad I can't wear the belt while I am doing it!!8-)

Kim said no? :twisted:

HoDeDo
04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Kim said no? :twisted:

I may be nuts... but not nuts enough to wear a $500 belt while I am whoopin arse :cool:

scottyd
04-09-2008, 08:58 PM
oh yeah I have plenty of shirts. We can do that or you do know I do have a Plowboy shirt also.

Plowboy
04-09-2008, 09:47 PM
oh yeah I have plenty of shirts. We can do that or you do know I do have a Plowboy shirt also.

Jack Links for Friday night... Plowboys for awards. :mrgreen:

HoDeDo
04-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Jack Links for Friday night... Plowboys for awards. :mrgreen:

I'm not shaving my head for Friday night.... but I will wear a JL shirt 8-)