PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual Ohio Veteran Barbeque Cookoff, Kettering, Ohio 18-19 Jul 08

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-07-2008, 09:40 PM
entry form is up on the website. see you there! :biggrin:

2nd Annual Ohio Veteran Barbeque Cookoff, Kettering, Ohio 18-19 Jul 08 (http://www.ohiovetbbq.com/)

Big Mike
01-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Yep, I'm in.

cmcadams
01-08-2008, 05:27 AM
We'll be in... doing our best to better our 4th place finish last year.

Tinybud
01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Anyone know if they have water and electric hook ups available?

cmcadams
01-08-2008, 03:39 PM
They had electric and a water buffalo

Podge
01-08-2008, 03:52 PM
one of the few contests on my schedule right now that's a definite.

Rolling Smoke
01-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Anyone know if they have water and electric hook ups available?

It depends on how much electric you need. We will have generators onsite and as Curt said, we also will have a buff so bring a bucket.

Rolling Smoke
01-09-2008, 11:27 AM
one of the few contests on my schedule right now that's a definite.

Thanks Podge. I knew we could count on you.

ZBQ
01-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Barring unforseen circumstances, I plan on being there too Jim.

River City Smokehouse
01-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm no veteranarian but I have eaten dog before. Does that count?

Ford
01-09-2008, 01:39 PM
We'll be in... doing our best to better our 4th place finish last year.

I'll do my best to make sure you don't do any better than reserve. :twisted:

And I will need power assuming I can sell the motorhome before then. Plan to sleep in the truck although I sure could get a good 6 hours in a motel if I wanted.

Scottie
01-09-2008, 01:58 PM
You gonna get a new MH?

Bbq Bubba
01-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I'll do my best to make sure you don't do any better than reserve. :twisted:

And I will need power assuming I can sell the motorhome before then. Plan to sleep in the truck although I sure could get a good 6 hours in a motel if I wanted.

Sleep well Ford, i'll keep an eye on your extension cord!:wink::twisted::cool:

cmcadams
01-09-2008, 02:31 PM
What I like about this comp is I can get a few hours of sleep by driving 11 minutes to my own bed. :)

Big Mike
01-09-2008, 02:39 PM
This is gonna be a great comp. I'm looking forward to meeting those of you that I have not had the pleasure to meet yet.

Rolling Smoke
01-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Barring unforseen circumstances, I plan on being there too Jim.

Where have you been Neil? I was getting ready to have your picture put on a milk carton.:wink:

You don't want to miss this next comp as it's going to be bigger and better than last year.

Rolling Smoke
01-10-2008, 04:51 AM

Not a problem with the power Ford. I'll have hotel info on the website in the next few days if you opt to go that way.

Rolling Smoke
01-10-2008, 05:07 AM
I'm no veteranarian but I have eaten dog before. Does that count?

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to make that connection. It didn't dawn on me until after I had locked in the domain name.:lol:

cmcadams
01-10-2008, 05:26 AM
Jim, have you and Jim Emig gotten together yet? I'd be glad to help out with that stuff, if I can be of any help.

Rolling Smoke
01-10-2008, 11:24 AM
We had a little informal meeting the Tuesday before Thanksgiving but haven't been able to get together since. Hopefully now that the holidays are behind us we can get back to business.

tonto1117
01-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Man oh man...I really want to do this comp, but as usual when it rains it pours. Got Shannon Il on7/11-12, this one on 7/18-19, and Taste of Grand Rapids on 7/25/26.....:shock::shock:. Never have done two in a row nevermind three. Maybe it's time to test our mettle.

ZBQ
01-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Where have you been Neil? I was getting ready to have your picture put on a milk carton.:wink:

You don't want to miss this next comp as it's going to be bigger and better than last year.

The bulk of December I was offline taking care of my mom and the normal hoiday stuff. Mom's doing much better than she was before the knee surgery and the holidays are over so hopefully things will get back to normal.

The website looks really nice Jim. Love the wallpaper.
I'm looking forward to it. I certainly enjoyed myself last year!!

Ford
01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Man oh man...I really want to do this comp, but as usual when it rains it pours. Got Shannon Il on7/11-12, this one on 7/18-19, and Taste of Grand Rapids on 7/25/26.....:shock::shock:. Never have done two in a row nevermind three. Maybe it's time to test our mettle.
There's talk of one just north of Indy the week after GR. Right now if I have to drop one it will be Shannon. It's a great contest but the farthest drive for me. This one is within 25 miles or so of one of our corporate offices so it's an opportunity to cook for them as well.

I'm more concerned with doing the GAB when I cook Thursday and Friday without a break. Am thinking about doing brisket prep in the morning while stuff for the Invitational is cooking then just have to do butts at 1:30.

And I will be putting the fridge into the trailer in early April so will not have to deal with coolers during these 2 adventures although I'll probably store my open meat in a cooler for the GAB and move it when it's seasoned.

The trailer is on it's way to Elkhart today so I should have it back in 2 weeks and my dealer has some ideas on an awning for the back. So do I including a permanent structure added to the back. What's another 8' on that trailer.

Scottie
01-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Time to suck it up boys and girls... Time to see what you are really made of... By the time you are on your 3rd cvontest, you wikll wish you had a fourth in a row...

It's a challenge, but it is also a lot of fun.

I also couldn't see dropping Shannon. Just too good of a contest. Nothing againt the other 2, as I know Jim will put on a good one. but Shannon is Shannon...

cmcadams
01-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Did the GR comp improve last year? There were some sucky things the year before with it.

Ford
01-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Did the GR comp improve last year? There were some sucky things the year before with it.
Still no power but they did get a lot of other things right. At least there were sufficient porta potties and they were pumped out.

tonto1117
01-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Grand Rapids was our first comp and are told that it was much better than in prior years. We had fun. Amazin' Blazin' in Lebanon TN is still the most comp team friendly comp we have been to so far. We look froward to Kettering and Shannon.

You are right Scottie, it is time to test the waters against some of the best.....maybe four in a row based on the comp Ford speaks of in Indiana.

cmcadams
01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Fairbanks, IN, is very cook-friendly, too.

chinesebob
01-10-2008, 10:25 PM
You guys are killing me. It seems like every month there's a comp there's something going on. I wonder how my work would feel if I directed part of our investment bank conversion from a bbq competition?

cmcadams
01-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Um, that would be great!

Rolling Smoke
01-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Time to suck it up boys and girls... Time to see what you are really made of... By the time you are on your 3rd cvontest, you wikll wish you had a fourth in a row...

It's a challenge, but it is also a lot of fun.

I also couldn't see dropping Shannon. Just too good of a contest. Nothing againt the other 2, as I know Jim will put on a good one. but Shannon is Shannon...

Tell 'em Scottie! Either fish or cut bait!

BTW, congrats on starting the year off right! I've always wanted to see the new year in with a hangover in the glades. What did you name the gator?

Rolling Smoke
01-11-2008, 07:04 AM
You guys are killing me. It seems like every month there's a comp there's something going on. I wonder how my work would feel if I directed part of our investment bank conversion from a bbq competition?

Who cares how your work would feel Bob? You need to be concerned with how a bunch of beer drinking, barbecueing, all around damn fine people would feel if you setup a cube in the middle of a comp and start playing with your Blackberry!

C'mon Man! Get your priorities in line! :-P

chinesebob
01-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Who cares how your work would feel Bob? You need to be concerned with how a bunch of beer drinking, barbecueing, all around damn fine people would feel if you setup a cube in the middle of a comp and start playing with your Blackberry!

C'mon Man! Get your priorities in line! :-P

That is an excellent point.

Scottie
01-11-2008, 09:59 AM

BTW, congrats on starting the year off right! I've always wanted to see the new year in with a hangover in the glades. What did you name the gator?

My girls nicknamed her Felda... Good enough for me. I do need to find a spot for her, besides the middle of my family room floor.

It's an honor to lead the KCBS team of the year. I may never have that opportunity again!!! :smile:

Scottie

cmcadams
01-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Scottie, I remember seeing your girls go up with you a couple years ago in GR... It's a lot of fun seeing them enjoy themselves.

tonto1117
01-11-2008, 11:18 AM

Were in Jim!! :wink:

Rolling Smoke
01-11-2008, 03:02 PM
My girls nicknamed her Felda... Good enough for me. I do need to find a spot for her, besides the middle of my family room floor.

It's an honor to lead the KCBS team of the year. I may never have that opportunity again!!! :smile:

Scottie

The girls did a great job naming her. I'm sure you'll find a more suitable place for Felda to hang out.

I can only imagine how honored you feel. Great job and well deserved!

Rolling Smoke
01-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Were in Jim!! :wink:

Alright Tonto! It's always better fishing than it is cutting bait.

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-11-2008, 06:11 PM
i've been informed that i am the FIRST entrant for this comp! so i got first in something! hahahaa!

i'm nervous already as this will be my first. :icon_blush:

tonto1117
01-11-2008, 06:22 PM
i've been informed that i am the FIRST entrant for this comp! so i got first in something! hahahaa!

Rick, from the look of your food and knowledge of your cooker's I wouln't be to worried. I'm sure you will have a blast and be hooked from here on out. Look foward to saying howdy...:wink:

I'll have have to show you my" Please Lord...just no DAL dance"......:lol:

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Rick, from the look of your food and knowledge of your cooker's I wouln't be to worried. I'm sure you will have a blast and be hooked from here on out. Look foward to saying howdy...:wink:

I'll have have to show you my" Please Lord...just no DAL dance"......:lol:

thanks for the encouragement, but cooking for myself and cooking for the judges are two entirely different things! come on over to the Rick's Tropical Delight RV as we'll be jammin to some sweet reggae to be sure. kettering is my hometown and i used to run around the neighborhood where the comp is when i was growing up.... :-D

chinesebob
01-11-2008, 06:47 PM
thanks for the encouragement, but cooking for myself and cooking for the judges are two entirely different things! come on over to the Rick's Tropical Delight RV as we'll be jammin to some sweet reggae to be sure. kettering is my hometown and i used to run around the neighborhood where the comp is when i was growing up.... :-D

Are you sure they will let you back in? Statute of limitations expire? HA!
When I moved back to my hometown I was just happy those who "knew" me had retired.....

chinesebob
01-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Rick - your message box is full.

Big Mike
01-12-2008, 01:07 AM

No need to be nervous. You will be surprised, once you start cooking, it's like you've been doing it forever. The nerves do kick in some right before the first turn in though.

I'm not saying this because I don't think you will do well, cause I'm sure you will. But this was my first comp ever last year and it seemed to work for me. I went in to it with the goal of making all of my turn ins on time. As long as I did that I would have considered it a successful comp. I was fortunate enough to get a couple of calls as well which made it even better.

I guess what I am saying is don't put so much pressure on yourself, just kick back cook your bbq and have a good time. The rest will all take care of itself.

Like Tonto said, you'll be hooked. It gets in your blood.

cmcadams
01-12-2008, 06:59 AM
I'm going to quit coddling Rick... He chickened out last year and just came by taking photos... It's about time he signed up! :razz:

Now I have 6 months to learn how to sabotage an egg! :evil:

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-12-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm going to quit coddling Rick... He chickened out last year and just came by taking photos... It's about time he signed up! :razz:

Now I have 6 months to learn how to sabotage an egg! :evil:

last year i had a wedding in cincy to go to on saturday... plus, i only had one egg at the time. this year, we'll have the rv and at least three eggs, maybe four. guess i better bring my shotgun! heheh:biggrin:

Rolling Smoke
01-12-2008, 08:43 AM

Yep, you got the first place entry Rick. The secret to dealing with the nerves is to drink more.:wink:

Rolling Smoke
01-12-2008, 08:44 AM
That is an excellent point.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-12-2008, 06:44 PM
if you're thinking about attending this comp, you best get your money in. there's only so much room and it'll be first paid, first registered!

don't be the wanna be and get cut out at the team limit! :twisted:

Double D's BBQ
06-12-2008, 07:12 PM
We'll be there! Wouldn't miss it!

Podge
06-12-2008, 08:54 PM
it's a contest put on by cooks for cooks. I'll be there, got my money in.

The Pigman
06-13-2008, 05:58 PM
This will be the first Contest for Smokin' Blues BBQ Will be turning in the money to Jim when I see him Sunday for the Judges Class. Looking forward to meeting everyone and going with the intent of having fun and not burning down Kettering.