PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Kick-Off Cook-Off Classic, Hazelwood, Mo 3/28-29

stlgreg
01-06-2008, 01:03 PM
hey everyone, I am one of the silent members around here, mostly because I am blocked from the site while I am work. I have been working hard for the last couple of months on getting this idea up and running. Well here it is:

I have teamed with up with the local Optimist Club (North County Optimist Club) to raise money for Childhood Cancer Campaign (http://www.optimist.org/default.cfm?content=members/oicccmain.htm).

As a part of this endeavor we are having a KCBS BBQ contest. The inaugural Cabelas’s Kick-Off Cook-Off Classic. The contest is being held at the Hazelwood, Mo. Location of Cabela’s. It is at the St. Louis Mills (shopping mall) which is on Missouri highway 370, just west of the 270/370 interchange.

If you would like to enter the contest click here (http://bbqsaucereport.com/contest/Offical%20entry%20Form.pdf) for the entry form.

We will have a standard space size of 3 parking spots. Each individual parking spot is 10’x20’. We will be supplying electricity and have water available for the teams. The first two bags of ice will be on us. Those spots will be $165.

If you require a larger space, 4 parking spots will run $185. We have a limited amount of larger spaces available. Anything larger than that, contact me.

All booths will be in the south end of parking lot (closest to Cabela’s).

We are also going to be doing raffles for charity throughout the weekend. If you have a product that you would like to donate it would be greatly appreciated! Items do not have to BBQ related!

I will have more details later as they become finalized.

I also need certified judges. I will be doing my best to use nothing but certified judges.

Greg Wilkinson
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
Hog's Wart School of BBQ Team

CritterCook
01-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Sounds good. Nice and close to home. How many teams?

Ulcer Acres
01-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I sure we will be there. Nice and close to home and Cabellas supporting BBQ. Any idea on what kind of money payout?

stlgreg
01-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Sounds good. Nice and close to home. How many teams?
I am thinking I will cap it at 49. That is not saying I will get 49 I just thinking being a first year comp I dont want to get too carried away.
Plus with 49 teams I figure one may not show up and that leaves me 8 tables of judges +1

stlgreg
01-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I sure we will be there. Nice and close to home and Cabellas supporting BBQ. Any idea on what kind of money payout?

This is the best answer I have for you at this time is we are starting with a $2000 prize pool guarantee. We are still trying to pick up sponsors so it should go up but how far I do not know. I will keep everyone updated as we go along.

motley que
01-06-2008, 04:05 PM
I will be there, last place brisket and all

ggriffi
01-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Greg,

Thanks for the info. Our check will in the mail tomorrow.

beam boys bbq
01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
my new trailer won't be done yet but if you need judges i have four certified judges that i could get for you

york

scottyd
01-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Well nice to see Cabela's back in the BBQ contests again but a $2000.00 prize pool seems pretty shallow. and for me to travel it would be out of the question. Get it up and we will see. I like Mo folks.

stlgreg
01-06-2008, 05:31 PM
my new trailer won't be done yet but if you need judges i have four certified judges that i could get for you

york

that would be great
send me an email with names and contact numbers and i will start a list!

stlgreg
01-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Well nice to see Cabela's back in the BBQ contests again but a $2000.00 prize pool seems pretty shallow. and for me to travel it would be out of the question. Get it up and we will see. I like Mo folks.

Believe me I would love to have you, hopefully someday I can get the prize money up enough.
This time it is not Cabelas corporate just the local store.

Ulcer Acres
01-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Come on down Scottyd, we will have a good time.
The Carp

stlgreg
01-06-2008, 08:11 PM

Makes me wonder, how much does it take to entice people to travel.

scottyd
01-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Come on down Scottyd, we will have a good time.
The Carp

We'll see Randy, you never know I just might, if they can get that thing up to $5000.00 or more I am sure we might be able to make the trip. Even so we could still come what the heck. I always like a good bbq with my friends.

Wizards of 'Que
01-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Surely Carp will kick in some prize money so his buddies can come.

Podge
01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Surely Carp will kick in some prize money so his buddies can come.

that sure would be nice of ol' Randy !

Scottie
01-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Heck yeah. I might have to cancel my plans for Hammond and go and try and win some of the Carp's money. He's got the big bucks... (Insert your own verbage here) :roll:

Ashmont
01-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Celtic Nation will be there... Backyard for us and our first cook as our new team. Good luck.... Ashmont

Wizards of 'Que
01-07-2008, 11:52 AM
What would be a bigger contest draw than a chance to win some of Randy's money? Although the co-eds in the gym accross the street in Hammond is pretty sweet.

CritterCook
01-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Makes me wonder, how much does it take to entice people to travel.
Doesn't really matter to me how much the prize money is. I will only travel about 4-5 hrs one way. I never plan on winning any money.:wink:

Critter cookers will be at cabelas!

stlgreg
01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Doesn't really matter to me how much the prize money is. I will only travel about 4-5 hrs one way. I never plan on winning any money.:wink:

Critter cookers will be at cabelas!
Glad we are not far then!

nthole
01-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Dunno if we will cook it but I'd he happy to judge (am certified) and I can probably get you another judge or two. One is getting certified in March, the other just eats a lot of BBQ!

Ulcer Acres
01-08-2008, 07:42 AM
If the WizardsofQ, came up from Hot Springs, maybe The Carp would donate something of great value (GJ). Then it would be springtime fun and frolic.

jbrink01
01-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Noticed you are looking for vendors. How many do you plan to have? We are St. Louis County Health Departmentr approved and can feed about 1200 per cook off of our pit. PM me if you need someone.

Wizards of 'Que
01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
If the WizardsofQ, came up from Hot Springs, maybe The Carp would donate something of great value (GJ). Then it would be springtime fun and frolic.

How many bottles? Then again, I would have to help Marla run you down when it was time for turn in. Plus you get all the good karma for bringing the GJ. I'll bring the GJ.

stlgreg
01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Dunno if we will cook it but I'd he happy to judge (am certified) and I can probably get you another judge or two. One is getting certified in March, the other just eats a lot of BBQ!

I can use both!
just let me know what you decide you want to do!

Ulcer Acres
01-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Karma is what I am after.

Wizards of 'Que
01-08-2008, 04:16 PM
You are completely full of Karma, Big Boy.

stlgreg
01-23-2008, 03:00 PM
I just received a call from the Governor's office.
They told me I will have my proclaimation 2-3 weeks.
its in the (so-called) mail.

stlgreg
03-05-2008, 05:38 AM
I have just received word from Billy Bones.
Due to Health Issues and Doctors Orders he will not be coming.

We are not searching for a replacement because there isn't one but we are searching for someone to give demos.

Wish us luck!

Jeff_in_KC
03-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Greg, I got a list of addresses for all CBJs in Missouri (probably fairly current as it came from KCBS a few days ago. email me at bigcreekbbq at embarqmail dot com ([email protected]) and I will reply with the spreadsheet attached.

stlgreg
03-10-2008, 05:35 AM
I have just received word from Billy Bones.
Due to Health Issues and Doctors Orders he will not be coming.

We are not searching for a replacement because there isn't one but we are searching for someone to give demos.

Wish us luck!

We have fond a replacement, none other than Mike Mills!

Mills at the Mills :-D

Brewmaster
03-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Nice Score.

ggriffi
03-10-2008, 07:10 PM
We have fond a replacement, none other than Mike Mills!

Mills at the Mills :-D

Man o Man, That is great news!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I'll be bringing my copy of PL&BBQ to get autographed.

Will you be sending out info about arrival times and things like that ?

stlgreg
03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Man o Man, That is great news!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I'll be bringing my copy of PL&BBQ to get autographed.

Will you be sending out info about arrival times and things like that ?
Yes I will be sending stuff out real soon.
Wednesday evening I hope.
I want to finalize something first :-D