PDA

View Full Version : Comp Brisket?

Mutha Chicken BBQ
12-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey fella's,

Just courious how many of you fella's Inject your brisket for comp's with Fab product's?

I have tried on 2 occasions with no success. I just ordered a new product that is along the same lines as the Fab products.

That Being said. I had absolutly no luck with the Fab products and don't really have faith in the new stuff. But I keep hearing that you gotta inject to win. This year I got a first and a fourth in brisket outta 5 comps. Without injecting.

Can anybody enlighten a brother on

A) How to use the stuff correctley
B) Do I really need it, Is everybody out there using it?

BBQ Grail
12-29-2007, 06:11 PM
This thread might give you some of the information you seek.

FAB B (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23563&highlight=FAB)

barbedQ
12-29-2007, 06:14 PM
My guess is that for every team that injects you'll find another that doesn't. I've tried both ways and have had mixed results. I have to admit that I'd never considered it until I read about it here.

What we've been doing is cooking 1-injected and 1-not at the comps. When we start prepping for turn in we take a slice from both right were the flat meets the point. The one that tastes the best gets turned in.

Only had 1 comp where this was a disaster and they both tasted like crap.

This year we did 5 comps and placed in the top 5 two times (2nd & 5th). Both were not injected.

Mutha Chicken BBQ
12-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Sorry for the Re-re-hashing of the same ole same ole,

Mr. Moderator fell free to pull this listing. I should have known.

The next thread will be Fat side up/ Fat side down:-D:-D:-D

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-29-2007, 08:23 PM
I have not injected, but may start. I had a 12th place in BelAir MD. feel really good about that one, big names there. still I would like to improve my scores. I think injecting would help. I will be tring fab over the next couple of months. looked on the net to see how the ingredients work. take a look. a lot of names for m.s.g.

Pig Headed
12-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Dan, I injected in Dover with the product I think you're talking about. Placed somewhere in the 30's I think. I thought it was pretty good, but the judges thought otherwise.

Sawdustguy
12-29-2007, 10:57 PM
The next thread will be Fat side up/ Fat side down:-D:-D:-D

That has been discussed so many times. Please try the search first.

chinesebob
12-29-2007, 11:42 PM
If you read all nine pages of the fab b thread, I think it comes down to what you're used to. If you know what the judges are looking for and can provide that, it's what counts. I wouldn't look at it as a crutch, more of it's part of their competition recipe. I've tried injections before but found that they don't make that much of a difference for my cooking. What makes the difference is the quality of meat, the amount of prep-time, and the amount of foil time.

But that's me. I'm not as seasoned as these guys. It's not illegal to use and it works for people so take your pick. It would be interesting to see some post with and without pics to see the differences in color and moisture content.

Plowboy
12-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Butcher's BBQ has a similar product to FAB. Costs about half.

chinesebob
12-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Having read some of the other posts about the way teams do it, it makes me wonder if they do this for all their cooking or only competitions. I've never had anyone complain about my brisket coming out flavorless with just rubs. Color has always been good, and they are almost always moist.

Looking at Poobah's post from earlier about his process with the marinades, rubs, sauce scares the crap out of me from a time perspective.

Just Smokin' Around
12-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Haven't tried FAB or any of the super injections. We came in 5th in Bel Air and didn't inject. We did inject one brisket with just beef broth and it seems to come out a bit moister.

chinesebob, you'll find a lot of folks don't cook at home they way they do at a competition. At the comp, they are looking to do what they think the judges like, but that isn't always their personal preference. It also takes some extra time.

MoKanMeathead
12-31-2007, 09:24 AM
I know a lot of people that have sucess with FAB (or other) injections. We have tried comp brisket just about evey way you can and every time we injected, with anything, it never worked out for us. I would say practice a lot (at home) and use the method that works best for you and your smoker.

Bigmista
12-31-2007, 12:24 PM
I inject but not with Fab B.

bbqczar
12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
I have done both,but I know what the "new" stuff is that you are talking about and I used it at the Rawhide Az. dual contest and I got 3rd place KCBS brisket and 4th place IBCA brisket using it.I am going to use it again in 2 upcoming events and after that I can evaluate how well I think it really does.I may or may not use it in the future depending how the next comps do.I think you have to use it at least 3 or4 times before you are sure it will,or will not work out for you.The briskets I did with it were great though,the best I have made,I think.BTW,I also used the FAB, and had poor success with that,and after doing ALOT of research I know why it is a poor choice for injecting.

Big Tom
01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I've used FAB with mixed success on brisket in KCBS comps. My best success has been a 1st with a FAB/water mix. Other times I haven't made top 20 with the same recipe. Judges :roll: :lol:

I tried with beef broth, and other liquids. I did one this weekend with FAB & water and cooked slower than normal, and really liked the outcome.

tony76248
01-02-2008, 06:39 PM
....well what is this new stuff ya'll are talking about?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
I am not sure what most people are afraid to talk about, but....Share you r opinions dont wait for some one else, I use a home made rub and am gonna try a beef broth and juice(apple maybe lime) with a little M.S.G. mixture at comps.. ARE WE BRETHEREN!!! I AM!!!

Pig Headed
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Plowboy mentioned the name, Butchers BBQ. His product is from what I understand very similiar to FAB B, but 1/2 the price. I've used it twice now and I'm going to keep practicing with it.

http://www.butcherbbq.com/

Sawdustguy
01-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Look, to inject or not is a preference that only you can make. Using FAB B is a decision you have to make yourself also. There are teams who win consistantly who inject and use FAB as well a teams that win consistantly and don't inject at all. Mike Davis of Lotta Bull, the 2006 KCBS Team of the year, doesn't inject Brisket at all. Unfortunately there is no crystal ball on this one. You have to try it and then make your decision.

Butcher BBQ
01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks for putting my product in the same thread as Fab. Just remember that the best reason to inject may not be for flavor but moisture retention. Some of the best cooks in the comp word use a moisture retention product. Be it with injection, cooking fast, or slow. Now we have the ability to cook how we are comfortable with and retain moisture and by doing so we can ad some flavor along the way ( we hope). It doesn't make any one product a slam duck automatic 1 place product. you must still understand and know how to cook, spice, slice, display, and pick out the right meat. All these products do is help with this process and round the edges on some when your not the best at all. Nice to visit. Need to get back to the cutting blocks and start cutting the next fore quarter.:-D

smoke-n-my-i's
01-03-2008, 04:46 PM
What kind of chemicals are in it?

Meats are already enhanced with chemicals to make the animal grow faster (hormones), and who know what else.

Why add more chemicals that can possibly cause more medical problems. Did you hear about so much cancer before all of the chemicals were introduced into our food stream? Why are the girls developing faster?

My opinion is, don't use it. Why run the risk of more problems.

No, I do NOT nor will not use it. I get the results that I want without it.

tonto1117
01-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Look, to inject or not is a preference that only you can make. Using FAB B is a decision you have to make yourself also. There are teams who win consistantly who inject and use FAB as well a teams that win consistantly and don't inject at all. Mike Davis of Lotta Bull, the 2006 KCBS Team of the year, doesn't inject Brisket at all. Unfortunately there is no crystal ball on this one. You have to try it and then make your decision.

Ding, Ding, Ding............Somone please give this man a cigar!!!!

TOPS BBQ
01-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I have only competed in four comps and wone three awards in brisket (2-5's and 1-7th) One was not injected and the other two were, but here's the kicker: Just injected apple juice. I thought about using beef broth, but I thought it would be too salty with my rub.

ChiliMacDaddy
01-05-2008, 01:30 AM
Ding, Ding, Ding............Somone please give this man a cigar!!!!

Here ya go:
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/6642/lanccedar5qu.jpg

Podge
01-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I am of strong opinion that quality of meat is where the starting point needs to be. Then, play around with FAB products or whatever floats your boat.

bbqczar
01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
[quote=Sawdustguy;528279] Mike Davis of Lotta Bull, the 2006 KCBS Team of the year, doesn't inject Brisket at all.

That is not true at all,Mike does inject at some comps depending on several factors. I have spoken to him,and others who know him and he does inject.One thing EVERYONE may find out is that ALOT of "winners" may say they don't inject,or that they don't use FAB,or any other "seceret" ingreideints,but they do.Just like most all teams have "secrets" that they don't tell anyone about what they do for an "edge",Mike is the same,smart,compettative man ! BTW,I don't tell my wife most of what I use for "injection" and she REALLY likes it, and doesn't ask questions:lol::lol::-o:-D !