PDA

View Full Version : Florence/Decatur, AL?

SmokeyBear
12-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I'll be in Decatur, AL, on Friday night and in Florence on Saturday. I know that Big Bob Gibson's is in Decatur with two locations and that is considered one of the big names in que. Is one location better than the other? Funny thing is that the name has big recognition, but most reviews that I read on the various forums seem to pan the place.

Are there any joints in the area that I should try to hit?

I'll be taking I-20 into Birmingham and then north on I-65; so, anything along that route is fair game as well.

Puppyboy
12-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Why not hit both locations? For the good of que, we'll need to know which one is best.

AlabamaGrillBillies
12-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Big Bob's gets a lot of press. Lots of folks rave about thier white sauce they put on chicken. Never tried it myself. For good pulled pork in the B'ham area check out:
http://www.costasfamousbbq.com/

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&go=1&r=f&aoh=&aot=&aof=&2a=&2c=TRUSSVILLE&2s=AL&2z=35173%2d1781&2n=JEFFERSON%20COUNTY&2y=US&2l=pU76oBOKjNC4zNRZWoe%2big%3d%3d&2g=sVM508umGov8JutENfZVcA%3d%3d&2v=ZIP9&1a=&1c=&1s=GA&1z=&1y=US&1l=yDAJH5Rh1FV3os5ND%2bxO1g%3d%3d&1g=bv5X5JeGqRhhND2Qe7ntgw%3d%3d&1pn=&1pl=&1v=STATE&1ffi=&1ex=&1n (http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&go=1&r=f&aoh=&aot=&aof=&2a=&2c=TRUSSVILLE&2s=AL&2z=35173%2d1781&2n=JEFFERSON%20COUNTY&2y=US&2l=pU76oBOKjNC4zNRZWoe%2big%3d%3d&2g=sVM508umGov8JutENfZVcA%3d%3d&2v=ZIP9&1a=&1c=&1s=GA&1z=&1y=US&1l=yDAJH5Rh1FV3os5ND%2bxO1g%3d%3d&1g=bv5X5JeGqRhhND2Qe7ntgw%3d%3d&1pn=&1pl=&1v=STATE&1ffi=&1ex=&1n)=

Bob Sykes in Bessemer is good for ribs.

Lis
12-13-2007, 08:32 PM
In Florence try Dick Howell and Bunyan's (great slaw) for que. Also in Florence, the original Dale's Steakhouse (Dale's steak sauce). I agree about Bob Gibsons...alot of hype, it can be hit and miss sometimes.
Also in B'ham Jim and Nicks is a big hit. Another hit and miss. The one on 280 is the best.
Growing up in North Alabama my grandfather always told me the 3 things never to discuss..Politics, Religion and who has the best que!
I know.....off to Cattle Call.
Lis

Kevin
12-13-2007, 08:54 PM
I know.....off to Cattle Call.
Lis

Uhm, after a year and a half, yes maybe you should introduce yourself. And welcome.

AlabamaGrillBillies
12-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Roll Tide Lis, always glad to have another 'Bama Brethren.

drbbq
12-14-2007, 06:32 PM
The 6th avenue place is the original but the guys at the Danville Rd location would tell you their food is better. Waitresses at 6th ave, walk up at Danville Rd. Save room for pie.

SmokeyBear
12-14-2007, 08:48 PM
I ended up getting away from home earlier than expected and went through Birmingham too early to stop at Dreamland. I ate lunch at the Danville Road Big Bob Gibson's location and had a ribs and pork combo plate. I very much liked the ribs, but I didn't much care for the pork. It had an odd mushy yet dry texture, and it didn't have any smoke flavor either.

I ended up going back there for supper tonight with a group of people. I ordered a large rib plate this time and the ribs were even better this time around.

I picked up a bottle of red sauce for me and a bottle of white sauce for my folks.

Maybe I'll be able to stop at Dreamland or Jim N Nicks on the way back through tomorrow night.

AlabamaGrillBillies
12-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I ended up getting away from home earlier than expected and went through Birmingham too early to stop at Dreamland. I ate lunch at the Danville Road Big Bob Gibson's location and had a ribs and pork combo plate. I very much liked the ribs, but I didn't much care for the pork. It had an odd mushy yet dry texture, and it didn't have any smoke flavor either.

I ended up going back there for supper tonight with a group of people. I ordered a large rib plate this time and the ribs were even better this time around.

I picked up a bottle of red sauce for me and a bottle of white sauce for my folks.

Maybe I'll be able to stop at Dreamland or Jim N Nicks on the way back through tomorrow night.

Stop off at jim n nicks. (or Costa's, their pulled pork is better) The dreamland franchises don't live up to the original. If you can ever get into Tuscalossa Dreamland is a must do. The franchises just don't measure up in my book.

SmokeyBear
12-15-2007, 10:21 PM
I blew through B'ham on the way home. It was dark and rainy, and I was just ready to get home.