PDA

View Full Version : dim sum suggestions?

nancee
12-08-2007, 10:15 AM
I have been craving this stuff for months and tomorrow we are actually going downtown to an artie thing. Anyone have any preferences for where is the best place these days? Anyone want to join us? Other than just briefly hitting the show briefly we have no agenda so it could be a real foodie crawl or whatever...
nancee

MilitantSquatter
12-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I think Matt is the resident expert on Chinese food in NYC.

I don't think I'd wander into just any place in Chinatown without his recommendation.

chinesebob
12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
There's a place right on the main drag near the police and the big statue, I think, called "Golden Bridge". They are going to seat you in the Gwailou area, but they have excellent food. My personal favorites are the spicy cow stomach, the chives and pork dumplings (clear wrapper with green on showing), the taro cake (lobakgo), and then anything else. For a desert you have to have the custard pie's(really small), and then the sweet tofu with the cinnamon/peanut juice.

As a followup go to a bakery and get some Gaimeibau - buns with a yellow coconut filling, and absolutely the Hong Kong Style Coffee. It's a milk and sugar mix but it is darn good.

- Hey - I'm not called Chinesebob for nothing.

chinesebob
12-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Almost forgot - if you have time, find Joe's Shanghai or maybe shanghai joe's - get the siulungbao (shanghai style dumplings) - They will ROCK YOUR WORLD! Every time my work sends me to NYC for work I end up blowing off my co-workers for dinner and head straight there.

I'm already starting to salivate thinking about it. You can't miss with them.

backyardchef
12-08-2007, 05:48 PM
In Manhattan Chinatown, the dim sum is really hit or miss. Golden Bridge is alright, as Bob said. I've had great food at Oriental Garden and Jing Fong which are basically next door to each other on Elizabeth St between Canal and Bayard.

Joe's shanghai is a good choice for the xiaolongbao-- soup dumplings, of which some are pork and others are often pork and crab, but both styles have a dollop of steaming hot broth inside that shoots out when you bite them....so be careful and eat with the large asian-style soup spoon and a healthy dollop of the black vinegar and ginger dipping sauce. The best of the bunch are at New Green Bo on Bayard, right off of Elizabeth.

People really rave about dim sum go-go which is not a traditional hong kong style place and you have to order, rather than having the carts brought around. I don't like their service, personally.

The best dim sum around these days is in Flushing, Queens. But that may not be convenient for ya. There's also a Joe's Shanghai out thattaway, as well, on 37th Avenue between Main and 138th Street across from the municipal parking lot. My favorite out there is which is just up the block from Joe's is Perfect Team Corporation, which I've written about quite a bit on my blog. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbackyardchef.blogspot.com%2F2007% 2F08%2Fperfect-this-time-perfect-team.html&ei=DC1bR7DUA5aYerqAia4J&usg=AFQjCNG1EIaKt7oB102NRBBk3pVee090Ww&sig2=3UIm_ioYj9F1E3Coc2vKQQ)

Another good option in Manhattan is 88 Palace on E. Broadway. I linked to a review.

88 Palace, 88 East Broadway (under the Manhattan Bridge in the East Broadway Mall), 212-941-8886 (http://www.nycnosh.com/?p=51)

Enjoy!

I'll pm my cell # in case you want to follow up.

nancee
12-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I think Golden Bridge must be the old Silver Palace...used to be my haunt years ago. Will have to save the soup dumplings for another day although it sounds right up my alley; Greg is sadly not a soup fan
I may try the place under the bridge; have not been there before that I know of. Also thanks for the tips on Flushing; have nenver gone because I had no plan of attack
Incidentally there is a place right at exit 5 in Greenwich that serves good dim sum but its real pricy for just one person
nancee

nancee
12-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Well still got that craving for dim sum<G> But had a great meal at Grand Sichuan at the corner of Canal and Bowery. Would be a fun place to go with a group; they specialize in Hotpot of all sorts. We had fried dumplings, shicuan dumpings, sesame beedf and spicy glass noodles. Everything was REALLY good. Add a couple beers and we got out for $50
nancee

chinesebob
12-09-2007, 09:23 PM
ok this might be off topic a little. But ever try hotpot at home? We do it sans seafood ( middle son has seafood allergies - which SUCK!). Great social meal for the adults.

nancee
12-09-2007, 10:32 PM
no Greg is no fan although he has been trying to find me one (that uses CHARCOAL) for years. Thought maybe next time you swing into town we can grab Matt and a few others and have that adult social evening. Greg did note that their hotpots were powered over propane burners. Think its time to let this topic go before the moderators go nuts...

ok this might be off topic a little. But ever try hotpot at home? We do it sans seafood ( middle son has seafood allergies - which SUCK!). Great social meal for the adults.

backyardchef
12-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Grand Sichuan on St. Marks in the village is an even better spot...there are a few G.S. around town.....St. Marks might be the best of the bunch. The one around the corner from my office can be amazing...at other times, eh....

Give me a heads up next time you're spinning into town.

ETA...Yes, on Silver Palace. That was my family's haunt for years and years.......

RichardF
12-10-2007, 12:20 PM
As a creature of habit, when in NYC and seeking Chinese food in Chinatown, I pretty much stick to NY Noodletown, Congee Village and Joe's Shanghi. The three tend to offer the broadest amount of good food that will give something for everyone in a group to eat. If on my own or one or two others, there are a couple of stair cases that I might walk up or down depending on what I'm looking for. As mentioned above, there's probobly more "good" Chinese food (and Korean) in Flushing.

backyardchef
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
As a creature of habit, when in NYC and seeking Chinese food in Chinatown, I pretty much stick to NY Noodletown, Congee Village and Joe's Shanghi. The three tend to offer the broadest amount of good food that will give something for everyone in a group to eat. If on my own or one or two others, there are a couple of stair cases that I might walk up or down depending on what I'm looking for. As mentioned above, there's probobly more "good" Chinese food (and Korean) in Flushing.

Yup.....and, left to my own devices and not with the family or a big group, I usually wander around and grab something at one place, then move on. Mei Lai Wah for some char siu bao, New Green Bo for xiaolongbao, and maybe Fried Dumpling on Mosco for 5 fried pork and chive dumplings for $1(!!). There are so many fun places.....if I ate more seafood, it would be even easier for me to explore.

In Flushing, there are malls with little food stalls, and again you can go for a myriad of small bites at a very reasonable price point.....Speaking chinese (even a little) or going with someone that can read or speak it, is a huge help.....Edit: Korean, too....and increasingly Vietnamese, Malaysian and Filipino....