PDA

View Full Version : Venue Poll

BBQchef33
12-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Assuming 2 things.

1 - Good weather.

2 - That in a rainstorm, everyone would prefer blacktop over mud.

What would you prefer for a contest venue.

Post comments too if theres other circumstances.

ZILLA
12-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Texas hardtop is just to hot. Rubber boot mod for the wet grass.

Westexbbq
12-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I voted concrete but I know I am in the minority versus grass.

jtfisher63
12-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I voted concrete but I know I am in the minority versus grass.

I'm with you, I prefer concrete. It's nice and flat and clean. Plus my chair won't sink into it!:shock:

Tinybud
12-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Any venue that is setup like dover, half grass and half concrete, best of both worlds.

Jeremiah
12-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Upon first thought I would have to say concrete as it's not as messy when it gets wet, which in this case would be from wash tubs, hose, etc. It will also dry a lot faster.

Grass is softer for sleepign though :mrgreen:

Sledneck
12-04-2007, 02:30 PM
astroturf(non flammable) is my choice

Sawdustguy
12-04-2007, 02:47 PM
My vote is for Concrete or Blacktop. It is a PIA with the Spicewine on grass as it tends to sink into the turf making it next to impossible to move.

big brother smoke
12-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Concrete! Blacktop is murderous when hot. Grass can be cool but you got to worry about rain, chiggars and items sinking into the dirt.

BigBarry
12-04-2007, 04:15 PM
How do you stake down in either concrete or blacktop? That's why so many Dover folks got creamed, no?

You can put stakes or turf screws into grass to hold down in a hurricane...as long as your structure doesn't implode!!

Q Haven
12-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I voted grass, but now that I think about it, the Backwoods will roll much better on concrete than grass....

watg?
12-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Any venue that is setup like dover, half grass and half concrete, best of both worlds.

I agree. The set up there was great, plenty of room, water, electric, level sites, it was very user friendly. Concete and grass. I would be a little hesitant to drive a stake or an anchor into the ground there, I think there is a lot of burried power lines and would not want to hit one. We used 5 gallon buckets filled with water in conjunction with ratchet straps and our canopies held pretty good.

Solidkick
12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
I voted grass....it's a lot easier on my old knees.....

bbqbull
12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Ive done contests on sand/grass combo, blacktop and grass with a goood base.

I prefer gravel. Sand and grass we got hit with 3 bad storms. We were on the base of a big hill, near a lake pond. Water was over our ankles. Had to level pit tires to get her level on one side.

Done blacktop.........radiates a crapload of heat.
Gravel.......well most places keep it pretty level. Unlevel ground beats the crap outta my body anymore.....Old age mod.

AlabamaGrillBillies
12-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Concrete for me, but grass is a close second.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I really like grass, generally when you have grass you may get a shade tree. The blacktop in Bel Air is just blazin' hot . I guess I just like nature.

ique
12-04-2007, 06:17 PM
I would like a combo, 10x20 blacktop, 10x20 grassy turf, and two large shade trees about 8 feet apart to fit my hammock.

The_Kapn
12-04-2007, 06:29 PM
We used to prefer grass, for sure.

Now that CheKeeta is done, it makes no difference.
Just cook on!

TIM

lunchlady
12-04-2007, 06:34 PM
How do you stake down in either concrete or blacktop?

you'd need to bungee to something... hopefully a full 'Magic' cooler!

I prefer grass, but you've got a point with the bug thing... ants especially wig me out.

MilitantSquatter
12-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Tradeoff's either way...I really don't have a preference.

Ussing your two assumptions of good weather and no rain, I'd likely choose concrete for easier mobility of the cooker and less likely to have major bug problems but grass is easier on the feet.

Westexbbq
12-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Let's see,
7 or 8 1/2 votes for crete,
none for hot Texas tar,
1 for astroturf,
12 or so for grass,
and the next Survivor voted off Gilligans Island is..........:smile:

Jorge
12-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I would like a combo, 10x20 blacktop, 10x20 grassy turf, and two large shade trees about 8 feet apart to fit my hammock.

you forgot that circus tent you had at Harpoon.

KC_Bobby
12-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I voted grass, but now that I think about it, the Backwoods will roll much better on concrete than grass....

I just bought larger casters for the Competitor off of ebay for that reason. I used a pneumatic dolly with the Party and that worked great.

As far as surface - depends on time of the year, from June to September I'd perfer grass with a big tree just south of my spot. If grass isn't possible, please no blacktop in the summer. We had that in July in Ankeny Iowa - we were worn out by the time we got the 10x20 canopy up. But like grass, no one had to worry about water running downhill, it just evalorated as it hit the surface.

Gravel would probably be my last choice, given good weather conditions.

You didn't include dirt - Laurie Missouri BBQ mod

Mitchelina
12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
I'll take concrete after having my ankles eaten up by chiggers last summer...

big brother smoke
12-05-2007, 05:41 PM
How do you stake down in either concrete or blacktop? That's why so many Dover folks got creamed, no?

You can put stakes or turf screws into grass to hold down in a hurricane...as long as your structure doesn't implode!!

Get EZ-Up weights! We had 30+ mile an hour winds at Hawthorne and My Ez-Up held up nicely.

Muzzlebrake
12-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I like grass...........

go figure..

:twisted:

Jeff_in_KC
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Grass. As long as it's dry. Mud sucks (Jefferson City, MO mod). Gravel is hard on the knees too. Concrete isn't bad. Asphalt is ok as long as it isn't June-August.

MrsBigBarry
12-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Grass. Easier on the feet and for sleeping. Not to mention it absorbs summer heat instead of bouncing it back at ya.

Bentley
12-05-2007, 10:20 PM
No question grass...most competitions out here in SoCa are are April to Sept...usually Hot. Can make a 15-20* difference!

Rookie'48
12-05-2007, 11:07 PM

My thoughts, exactly.

Pyle's BBQ
12-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Concrete/blacktop for cooking and grass for everything else. At the Pork Expo they have tried all kinds of combinations. This comp is held at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. We set up on the tree lined streets and have places off the street to setup what ever we need, and these are the grassy areas.

Roo-B-Q'N
12-06-2007, 07:47 AM
I voted grass, out of the 6 contests we did last year 3 were on grass and while chiggars got me bad at one of them, I would still say grass. The other three were on blacktop and we had to fight other peoples water run off at everyone of them.

G$
12-06-2007, 02:34 PM

I actually selected blacktop over cocrete for this reason. The blacktop events i have done we WERE able to stake in to. Concrete, that is not even not an option.

If the specification is that you can not stake in to the asphalt blacktop, I would change my vote to concrete. Also, the blacktop event I did was in March and freezing - so heat not an issue.

G$
12-06-2007, 02:36 PM
You didn't include dirt - Laurie Missouri BBQ mod

Yeah, dirt is TERRIBLE. Trying to prep food with the dust from foot traffic is a nightmare. My rubs are iffy enough without the potnetial for dust getting in there!

Mo-Dave
12-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Grass. As long as it's dry. Mud sucks (Jefferson City, MO mod). Gravel is hard on the knees too. Concrete isn't bad. Asphalt is ok as long as it isn't June-August.

Jeff whats up with getting on your knees? Are you praying to the bbq gods again? Key word kneepads :wink:

I agree wet cold mud sucks and so does dry dust but worse yet is sand. Walking in it for almost two days will make your body think you were in an Iron Man contest instead of a Bbq contest.:frown:
Dave

Plowboy
12-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Blacktop: We use deck screws into the blacktop to secure our awning off of the trailer.

smoke-n-my-i's
12-08-2007, 12:31 PM
With the question:
Assuming good weather. What would you prefer to have under your tent at a contest.

Under ideal weather, I will go with grass any day. The black top and concrete are just too hard on these old knees and feet. I work on concrete all day long, so softer grass sure is nice.

But under adverse conditions with rain, etc., I will take black top or concrete. It is easier to work in water that is either running off, or slightly standing than in sloppy slippery mud....

So, the answer to the question as stated is: GRASS

Bill