PDA

View Full Version : Ready for next year's comps? ? ? ?

smoke-n-my-i's
11-24-2007, 02:19 PM
I am already looking at next year. Some comps are starting to show up on the KCBS site as well as the MABA site.

I have made a calendar and will be filling in the dates and seeing what will work.

Hope to see some of you next year.

Bill

Double D's BBQ
11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Bill, I look forward to seeing you again. Do you know if they're going to be doing Smithfield's Slammin BBQ again in Norfolk? That was one prestigious field. Kind of like a mini Jack. Hope to see them do it again.

KC_Bobby
11-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm still waiting to take my cooking class this off season. Sometime after the Christmas holiday season we'll start putting our schedule together for next year.

Smokin Diablo
11-24-2007, 04:41 PM
We probably wont make decisions until February. Am hoping to get in a cooking class and judging school between now and then.

Double D's BBQ
11-24-2007, 05:01 PM
We've signed up for Rod Gray's and Johnny Trigg's cooking techniques class in Shannon in April. I've heard nothing but great things about this class and am looking forward to it. Until then lots of practice in the offseason.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
11-24-2007, 05:03 PM
I am still searching for a new cooker(not that I need any). glad I still have a few months.Hope to meet you all when we are out on the road!

bcis93
11-24-2007, 05:55 PM
I am getting ready. Picked up a new Stumps Elite 6 last Saturday. I cooked on it 3 times this week. Also bought a toy hauler to haul our stuff around. I can't say I don't have the tools I need to get the job done. Plan to spend Dec-Feb tweaking techniques and flavor profile. Looking back at 2007, I think for a first year team we held our own. We competed in 12 contests and got calls in 4. Our best overall finish was a 4th in Cookeville. Hope we can take it to the next level in 2008. Good luck to all and haapy Q'ing!

Keri C
11-24-2007, 06:38 PM
We'll be doing a few. After that cooker Robert built got us four calls and 4th overall out of 42 at her first comp (and only her 4th fire) back in October, we're looking forward to trying to do her justice this coming year. Hope to see lots of you this year!

Keri C

smoke-n-my-i's
11-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Bill, I look forward to seeing you again. Do you know if they're going to be doing Smithfield's Slammin BBQ again in Norfolk? That was one prestigious field. Kind of like a mini Jack. Hope to see them do it again.

I have emailed Donna twice, and haven't heard anything yet. I sure hope they do... I agree, that was one nice event for their first one.

ZILLA
11-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Technically our year isn't over until May, but we do have a nice break through the holidays. I'll enjoy the break but I'm ready to cook again. We start up again in mid January and cook through Memorial Day weekend.

Rub
11-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Still have one more to do in December (for a total of 24 this year), then 3 in January. There really isn't an off season down here. 8)

lunchlady
11-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Some comps are starting to show up on the KCBS site as well as the MABA site.

NEBS has started their 2008 calendar as well.

Hope to see you all out there!

Sawdustguy
11-25-2007, 07:13 PM
As soon as we get our new Spicewine we will be ready for battle.:cool:

Sledneck
11-25-2007, 07:53 PM
On contest vacation, its snowmobile season!!!

Bill-Chicago
11-25-2007, 11:31 PM
My belly button has been puckering and unpuckering ever since the last contest waiting for the new season.

I got 3 months of reading bull chit Uncle Remus crap in the bull cheet ahead of me

Dale P
11-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Ready to go.

rookiedad
11-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Better Days Barbeque will be on the road this coming year! we had such a good time at The Battle of The BBQ Brethren that now we want to try to do five comps in the northeast this season. my brothers who just came along to help me were trying to talk me into doing the one in NC on nov 10th but it was too far for us. they got the smoke in their blood now though! i was thinking Guitarbique and Hudson Valley but after that we are open to suggestions. really looking foward to Sayville again though. just under eleven months left to go. yee haaa!

phil

Greendriver
11-26-2007, 12:28 PM
I would be if I could just win the dam lottery so I could get me that new 5th wheel toyhauler I think I gotta have.

The Anchorman
11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
I am actually thinking about retirement. Maybe judge the whole summer instead.:roll:

SmokeInDaEye
11-26-2007, 02:17 PM
I am actually thinking about retirement. Maybe judge the whole summer instead.:roll:

Are you serious? Who's going to defend your Grillin On the Bay title in March? I've already loaded the car.

Meat Burner
11-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Sending my entry fee into tomorrow for the Springfield Missouri "Rock'n'Ribs" held in April. Should draw about 25,000 people off the street. Probably have about 60 teams competing. Fun Time!!!

Oh, forgot to mention, taking the usual smokers but this year bringing 4 UDS SMOKING MACHINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait!

NotleyQue
11-26-2007, 09:00 PM
totally ready. Im looking forward to 08 with a vengence. I had so much fun this year, I cant wait for 2008. There are quite a few contests in Cali next year.

Just Smokin' Around
11-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Looking forward to April - Salisbury, MD will be our first of the year. At least for many of us in the mid Atlantic. Could be a long winter!!

Chris Nickelson
11-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Got deer huntin' on my mind right now ,but can't wait to hit the road next year towards a comp. where there's good food and good friends.

TOPS BBQ
11-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Started a schedule. I just need to pick the right ones that are too close to others. Also, my team doesn't like to travel much, so I am limited. Hoping for a minimum of five comps in '08.

timzcardz
11-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Nope. I've got a lot to do yet.

beam boys bbq
11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
not even close

the new spice wine is going to be done by the end of feb

i am selling the old trailer and building an new one

but first i need an new trailer

i hope to have it done by late april

york

Smokeneyes
11-27-2007, 01:18 PM
I am gearing up for a cold winter on the jersey shore, by moving the offset closer to the house so I don't have to shovel as much. I am getting recipies together to try on friends and family. I am begging my wife to let me spend money on a "REAL BIG GRILL" so I guess I am ready

Divemaster
11-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Not even close… This is going to be our first year at comps so we’re still trying to get every thing together (including a new smoker)…

voodoobbqIL
11-28-2007, 09:58 AM
other than some mods in the blacksmith shop planned for December we are looking over the calendar and making a plan, can't wait until next year

Pig Headed
11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Looking forward to April - Salisbury, MD will be our first of the year. At least for many of us in the mid Atlantic. Could be a long winter!!

Ditto here. Canīt wait ītill Salisbury.

Bigjim4x
11-28-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm Ready! The good thing about being down south is that theres not much of an off season. I'm about to be retired from my restaurant and should be cooking full time next season.

Bigmista
11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
WE still have one more small contest this year. Right in my backyard this weekend.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-02-2007, 07:39 PM
I may have found the "twins" which will move me one step closer!!

smoke-n-my-i's
12-02-2007, 07:46 PM
I too have my list started. I have been looking on KCBS, as well as MABA and a couple of other local ones. I have gotten all the ones listed so far and estimated mileage to each.

I am so ready, we are working on a non-sanctioned event for the end of March. Since I am going to coordinate it, I will not compete.... :mrgreen:

I will be posting more on it real soon in a thread of it's own. Keep your eyes open if you are interested.

Bill

Coz
12-03-2007, 06:27 PM
I have yet to enter a comp but am preparing for 2 next summer.I had the opportunity to spend a morning with the team of 2 Fat Bikers at Menominee Falls,what a learning experience!The prep work on the boxes took me by surprise.I know that I make decent tasting Q but dont know if its suited to comps but we will find out.Texture on brisket is killin me!:evil:

Bbq Bubba
12-03-2007, 08:11 PM
I have yet to enter a comp but am preparing for 2 next summer.I had the opportunity to spend a morning with the team of 2 Fat Bikers at Menominee Falls,what a learning experience!The prep work on the boxes took me by surprise.I know that I make decent tasting Q but dont know if its suited to comps but we will find out.Texture on brisket is killin me!:evil:

You've got the pit's, iv'e seen your cookin, time to get your feet wet!!
You got what it take's bro!! :biggrin:

txschutte
12-03-2007, 09:03 PM
You've got the pit's, iv'e seen your cookin, time to get your feet wet!!
You got what it take's bro!! :biggrin:We've got alot of chit to pick up before the season, as well. As a Newbie, this has been one of the most expensive ventures I have ever tried to accomplish. And I haven't sarted building the new smoker yet!

Coz
12-04-2007, 01:55 PM
We've got alot of chit to pick up before the season, as well. As a Newbie, this has been one of the most expensive ventures I have ever tried to accomplish. And I haven't started building the new smoker yet!

Buildin the pit is the fun part!

Jeremiah
12-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Ready in the sense that I've got one comp under my belt and have most of the supplies I need. Ready in the sense that I'm confident enough in what I plan on turning in? No, not yet.

AlabamaGrillBillies
12-04-2007, 04:56 PM
NOt ready yet. We are toying with the idea of not doing one of our planned comps. We are thinking about using the money that would be spent at a comp to have some serious welding done to the cooker. Needs a good tunning plate system for sure, and possibly a new firebox. We may not get a completly new firebox, just do a mod to the door.

VA BBQ PIRATES
12-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Ditto here. Canīt wait ītill Salisbury.

Salisbury is only 137 days away. I've downloaded the entry form - just waiting for the "boss" to OK the check.

I'm ready! New chicken recipie, new rib technique, new plan for butt. Cross my fingers again for the brisket.